Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I think a relatively easy fix to make the M50 a bit safer would be to put in cones/barriers at some of the more popular exists to stop people trying to exit at the last minute.

But what about the poor dipsh*ts who skip the row of traffic waiting to exit and instead block the left hand lane trying to bully their way past the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think a relatively easy fix to make the M50 a bit safer would be to put in cones/barriers at some of the more popular exists to stop people trying to exit at the last minute. You could start at the N7 exit and the N4 exit. Put plastic bollards between the leftmost lane and the neighboring lane for a mile or two back from the exit. It'd stop gob****es doing the old three lane shuffle at the last minute.

They finally put up a line of poles at the last exit northbound towards the R139. It stops the idiots in the middle lane who suddenly remembered where they live from cutting across cars in the right lane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Agree with this, especially with the amount of people approaching roundabouts and slamming their brakes at the last minute and then usually over shooting the line. I'm on a motorbike and this type of aggressive driving is one of my pet hates because when you're on a bike the natural instinct is to take evasive action if you think you're about to be hit.

Also when theres torrential rain on the m50 I'd say only about half of drivers slow down and adjust their driving style to suit the conditions. The amount of spray that gets thrown up in heavy rain often means you can't see that far ahead up the road yet you still get dickheads tailgating and determined to do at least 120kph

Some people seem to speed up when it rains. Maybe rain panics them. An old style tow hitch keeps tailgaters at a distance, usually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recently spotted on the M50 - a golf towing a 3 series BMW. spotted northbound as the road passes under the canal at blanchardstown, and making very heavy weather of climbing up past dunsink. I got the reg and called into ballymun garda station, but the garda there said he didn't think there was CCTV footage of that stretch of the motorway.

i'd say the damage they may have done to the golf in the process was punishment enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why do you think it would have done damage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it may have done so given the amount of black smoke the golf was belching; he had to floor it while going uphill to cut across two lanes of traffic (the lanes merging from the N3) to get back to the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

You do have to wonder why Irish drivers don't know how to drive in wet conditions, I mean it's not like we're living in the bloody Sahara! Yet if I leave a safe stopping distance it's inevitably interpreted as an invitation to do a close overtake and them jam on in front of me...

Time for a dash cam

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Yet if I leave a safe stopping distance it's inevitably interpreted as an invitation to do a close overtake and them jam on in front of me...

That annoys the hell out of me too.
    Apparently
    safe stopping distance = room for one or two more cars in there at 100Kph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Love the M50. Irish drivers are some of the best in the world imo. If you want bad driving in abundance take a trip to Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Superhorse wrote: »
    Love the M50. Irish drivers are some of the best in the world imo. If you want bad driving in abundance take a trip to Vietnam.

Yeah Man, heavy drivers In The Nam.

There drive everywhere, in the trees, in the elephant grass and even tunnels under the ground.

Just Blows You're fookin Mind...Man :(

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

beauf wrote: »
    Don't agree. The standard of driving is at an all time low all over Dublin but its especially bad on the M50. I've never seen, heard of so many accidents on it ever before. Its gone from one major hold up a week to one a day and now a few a day. The N3 at Blanch is similar.

I'm all for rants, but BS remarks like that really annoy me. Driver training and vehicle quality is at an all time high in Ireland. Least we forget, there are many drivers out there (and maybe some that are even commenting on this thread) that never passed the test, but Mr Haughey gave a full license to.

Yes, driver training could be improved but it won't make a blind bit of difference to the situation on the M50. The problem with that road is that it is at capacity and there is no further room for expansion. The road was a victim of its own success and generated far more journeys than were anticipated at the time of its design some 25 years ago.

The second issue with the M50 is that most people know the rules but ignore them, either for selfish reasons (like queue skipping), or an easier life (middle lane hogging). It would take a concerted campaign of education and enforcement to stamp this driver behaviour out and even then it wouldn't increase the capacity of the road all that much.

The only weapons the NRA have left are variable speed limits and tolling of the entire road.

also, traffic volumes have gone up considerably on the m50; which makes it far more susceptible to traffic jams.
    Road bosses have revealed that almost 120,000 motorists a day are now paying the toll on Dublin's M50 motorway - a 29pc increase since the road was upgraded.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/traffic-tops-boomtime-levels-as-120000-motorists-a-day-use-m50-30640715.html

that was a year ago. they've probably increased since.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm all for rants, but BS remarks like that really annoy me. Driver training and vehicle quality is at an all time high in Ireland. Least we forget, there are many drivers out there (and maybe some that are even commenting on this thread) that never passed the test, but Mr Haughey gave a full license to.

Yes, driver training could be improved but it won't make a blind bit of difference to the situation on the M50. The problem with that road is that it is at capacity and there is no further room for expansion. The road was a victim of its own success and generated far more journeys than were anticipated at the time of its design some 25 years ago.

The second issue with the M50 is that most people know the rules but ignore them, either for selfish reasons (like queue skipping), or an easier life (middle lane hogging). It would take a concerted campaign of education and enforcement to stamp this driver behaviour out and even then it wouldn't increase the capacity of the road all that much.

The only weapons the NRA have left are variable speed limits and tolling of the entire road.

Sure there are capacity problems ar times but the real disasters are the shunts and these are overwhelmingly caused by driver behaviour. Middle lane hogging causes people to change lanes and thats the single biggest problem. Queue skipping also causes shunts.
    Enforcement is essential but young drivers - espevlcially women - haven't a clue how to use a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

also, traffic volumes have gone up considerably on the m50; which makes it far more susceptible to traffic jams.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/traffic-tops-boomtime-levels-as-120000-motorists-a-day-use-m50-30640715.html

that was a year ago. they've probably increased since.

These figures indicate for sure Dublin doesn't need du or mn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good point but I don't think it would be all that hard to rectify the problems on the m50. It really is all down to enforcement and part of the problem right now is you can drive the entire length of it and not see a single Garda car. When you do see them they're in an emergency of their own and have to go whizzing by dangerous driving.

What is needed is a RSA TV/Radio campaign on lane hogging making motorway drivers aware of the problem. Leaflets on motorway driving should be posted to all customers of the toll companies. Then that needs to be backed up with 3-4 patrol cars going up and down the length of the motorway pulling people. Once hundreds of passing motorists see someone has been pulled by the Gardai and the policy is backed up by a Tv/Radio information campaign then the message quickly goes out that driving selfishly won't be tolerated.

As for capacity, I often see the middle and outer lanes packed full but the inside lane running at 50%. Granted some of this is due to motorists shifting to the middle at on ramps to allow drivers space to merge but I still think if middle lane hogging could be enforced upon then we might get another 10-15% on top of what is there now.

As for tolling the entire thing its a great way to dampen demand but that demand has to go somewhere and that'll be the suburbs which create problems of its own.

Put some camera on it. Outsource the fines. Fish in a barrel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

beauf wrote: »
    Put some camera on it. Outsource the fines. Fish in a barrel.
    How does a camera record bad driving?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Once hundreds of passing motorists see someone has been pulled by the Gardai

That'll be another few hundred hold ups as rubberneckers take a look at the blue flashing lights.

The tailgaiting offenders are not being caught using the fixed cameras.
    Anyhow, there are many other instances of bad driving on the M50 e.g. late lane changes when exiting, using a phone or doing make up whilst driving which the cameras won't catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

kbannon wrote: »
    How does a camera record bad driving?

It is not beyond rocket science to program a camera to flag cars going from the outside lane to the offramp in less than 100m or vice versa. Then have someone review the flagged footage only.

It is not beyond rocket science to identify someone tailgating.

It is not beyond rocket science to identify someone in one lane with 500m free in the lane to their left.

The problem is the will, not the way.

It is not beyond rocket science to program a camera to flag cars going from the outside lane to the offramp in less than 100m or vice versa. Then have someone review the flagged footage only.
    "I was unable to move left towards the slip road safely due to drivers to my left not allowing me to change lane until it was quite late. The other driver was the dangerous one judge"
    It is not beyond rocket science to identify someone tailgating.
    I wasn't tailgaiting. the car in front stopped just before the camera and I was literally just about to brake. The other driver was the dangerous one judge"
    It is not beyond rocket science to identify someone in one lane with 500m free in the lane to their left.
    "I had just overtaken a car who must have pulled over to answer their phone or broke down or something. I thought they were still in my blindspot"
    The problem is the will, not the way.

The problem is that a photo does not display the context of the offence and it could be explained by other reasons or factors.
    As an example, I was on a bus many years ago that broke a red light on the N7 when following an artic lorry (who also broke the light).
    The reason was that the brakes on the bus had failed and in fact the bus driver's actions by beeping the horn and somehow signalling to the trucker to keep going that the driver and front passengers weren't killed (there were big long girders on the artic trailer). How would a camera have picked that one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Started driving it again a year ago to a new office after a few years using Luas and am quite shocked by the increased volumes. The amount of moron driving - erratic or sudden lane changing, tailgating, braking, and dawdling or rubber necking you see every day is astonishing and every time there's a gridlock you know one of these daft cnuts has more than likely caused it.

If we had half decent cross city public transport (as opposed to your normal radial city centre routes) I'd be back to public transport in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

kbannon wrote: »
    "I was unable to move left towards the slip road safely due to drivers to my left not allowing me to change lane until it was quite late. The other driver was the dangerous one judge"

You should have gone to the next junction. 3 points and €100.
    I wasn't tailgaiting. the car in front stopped just before the camera and I was literally just about to brake. The other driver was the dangerous one judge"

Set up enough cameras to show what happened. Cameras are cheap enough nowadays, every phone has one.
    "I had just overtaken a car who must have pulled over to answer their phone or broke down or something. I thought they were still in my blindspot"

See previous point. Also if people commit perjury in court by reference to imaginary cars, ban them for 3 years.

The problem is that a photo does not display the context of the offence and it could be explained by other reasons or factors.
    As an example, I was on a bus many years ago that broke a red light on the N7 when following an artic lorry (who also broke the light).
    The reason was that the brakes on the bus had failed and in fact the bus driver's actions by beeping the horn and somehow signalling to the trucker to keep going that the driver and front passengers weren't killed (there were big long girders on the artic trailer). How would a camera have picked that one up?

Photos are an instant in time. Store complete video, most of it isn't needed but it can be viewed if required. Indeed such video would support the defence for a genuine case and the full picture would be there. But in general very very unusual cases do not justify failing to stop people who are just acting the maggot and who cut across lanes every day, tailgate very day etc. Give a warning the first time if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Great start to the day:
    M50 Update: Now completely closed at Jct 7. Traffic coming from Jct 6 diverted onto N4. No access to M50 Sth from N4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Another day,another crash,another closure..seriously what's going on with this road?

Hit blanch on ramp at 6.35,not even paid my 2.10 yet.

Closed at lucan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement