Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

You guys should try a motorcycle of your sick of all the traffic. They work wonders. Just be carful not to get clipped by that d******d coming across 3 lanes to exit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Bulmers wrote: »
    We need an m60 now!
    Or effective orbital public transit/cycle routes. There's a buslane all along the ORR but no busses
    There's no bus/cycle route across the Liffey from Lucan to Chapelizod. A high level crossing from Liffey Valley to Carpenterstown would provide good access. Also the bridge from Farmleigh could be brought into use for bike/pedestrian use easily.
    The ORR should cross the Liffey and connect to the N3 ad probably the 2 also
    There should be some proper PT option from Tallaght to Sandyford too.

The buslane on the r139 should be re-instated.

A Swords to D15 route should be set up, running through the Business park where DHL is to avoid Kilshane X delays at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

They should toll all of the M50, with a premium toll at peak times and simultaneously launch orbital bus services with a fare less than the toll and some park and ride facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

hey should toll all of the M50, with a premium toll at peak times and simultaneously launch orbital bus services with a fare less than the toll and some park and ride facilities.
    as long as they introduce some good bus service from d15 to sandyford leopards town and from Lucan also . Else we will just end up paying more.

Is that too illogical ? Interested to know anyone has a different opinion about this. Or y this is not implemented by our transport or government . Fairly new to m50 travel but fed up already. No rocket science to ilopement this idea I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Spent 9 years driving up and down this glorified car park, it saddens me know to think of the amount of time I wasted sitting waiting.

Two things which spring to mind over the years:

1. Massive tailback all the way to Blanchardstown years back. Took 2 hours to get to Sandyford. All the time I'm thinking there must be a serious car crash up ahead. How wrong was I - turned out if was a huge directors chair (as in movie director) in a field promoting the Irish film festival and everyone decided to slow down for a look. At a fúcking chair. In a field.

2. Again, another enormous tailback going Northbound this time from Sandyford. Turned out it was some knob end driving a Ford GT who had run out of petrol. Apparently the car locks the steering wheel so a flat bed truck had to come along with a crane to lift the car up and take it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

You were not stuck in the fast lane. There is no "fast lane". It is an overtaking lane. It is driving like you are that causes the tail back

so because i called it a 'fast lane' and i was in it, im causing tailbacks? how? I was in it initially when i came on the m50 to overtake cars but then traffic came to stand still and i was stuck in it for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They should toll all of the M50, with a premium toll at peak times and simultaneously launch orbital bus services with a fare less than the toll and some park and ride facilities.

There should be no tolls at all on the M50. It's a multi lane motorway takes a lot of traffic. Tolling it would put all this traffic onto the local roads, which aren't designed for high volumes, which would lead to even more traffic chaos. Also DCC is planning on even more traffic restrictions in the city centre so where are all the vehicles that use the M50 and Dublin city centre supposed to go since there is no plans for public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Del2005 wrote: »
    There should be no tolls at all on the M50. It's a multi lane motorway takes a lot of traffic.

In a thread talking about the M50 being at a standstill this doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Varying the toll cost at certain times would encourage people to leave earlier in the mornings. Having the toll encourages "some" people to car pool.
    Having a toll doesn't make everybody go onto surrounding roads. Time is worth money. It's a cliche, but if you're earning a few quid an hour, spending an extra 30 mins or hour in traffic to save a quid and use more petrol isn't cost efficient. E.g. the trucks that are about 10% of the M50 traffic aren't going to wander off around windy back roads.

I come from Swords -> Parkwest every morning. If there was a toll at each entrance / exit I could choose to take the back roads which are slower or take the full M50 and pay more. At the moment I take the back roads, because the M50 is stopped, then join the M50 at Blanch, drive across the toll and take the next exit. So I'm paying the same if I use either route. They way it's going now the M50 is getting full and people are taking the surrounding roads anyway.

There's more to do than just tolling though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

I spoke with an engineer before who has worked on projects on the m50 and I was old that the original infrastructure that was set up as the old M50 doesnt fully allow for expansion in parts so essentially it was built with a narrow mind at the start and now they are screwed as to the extent of the expansion they can get away with as a result.

Quality Irish engineering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It's great at time to only need second gear on the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

On the m50 now,got on at dundrum northbound and looks like crash and not moved in 40 mins.

Giving up,costing me €80 a month for this everyday,its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stuck on it here for over 20 minutes. Was supposed to collect material for a job before 4.30. Haven't a chance now because of a 5 car pile up. Job is now cancelled...more lost income for me because some dick can't drive properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Not budging at all.

Must be well back passed sandy industrial estate now

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BastardFace

I was looking here, https://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/ and hit refresh a few times. A side funny note, a bird is after crapping on one of the camera lenses since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The 8 car collision yesterday doesn't surprise me - aren't people aware of SSD's anymore?

Yes lads, nothing gets you to your destination quicker than going right up someone's backside at speed like a complete f*ck knuckle, especially when it's raining.

The standard of driving has gone to pot in the last 15 years in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

so because i called it a 'fast lane' and i was in it, im causing tailbacks? how? I was in it initially when i came on the m50 to overtake cars but then traffic came to stand still and i was stuck in it for ages

Actually, yes. Essentially what you are saying is that everyone else was doing it, so I had to.

Maybe if one person at a time just started to observe the rules of the road and pull in, these tailbacks would eventually subside. It has to start somewhere.

The fact that you automatically think of it as a "fast lane" says a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

megabantz wrote: »
    its very annoying alright but I put it down to 0 educational requirement when taking a test. I think they should make people do their test and should they pass they must then pass a motorway module. I bet you your house it would help. a lot of people don't know how to drive on the motorway, you just have to look at Germany I think it is where the Authobahn has no speed limit but they have a motorway module as part of taking their test so they know how to drive on a motorway and how to properly change lanes and enter / exit safely. I see it daily people driving on suicide missions flying around lanes like its the waltzers and then at the last minute zip across 3 lanes to an exit! madness

You'd have the same problems anywhere with accidents and poor driving. The problem is too many cars in a given space of time trying to use the same road. I understand people like to have some target to rant at but the answers aren't so easily found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't agree. The standard of driving is at an all time low all over Dublin but its especially bad on the M50. I've never seen, heard of so many accidents on it ever before. Its gone from one major hold up a week to one a day and now a few a day. The N3 at Blanch is similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    You guys should try a motorcycle of your sick of all the traffic. They work wonders. Just be carful not to get clipped by that d******d coming across 3 lanes to exit

Agree with this, I motorbiked to the Bray Air Show earlier this summer using the m50 southbound. There was a huge jam from the Dundrum exit all the way into Bray itself as half of south Dublin seemed to want to go to the event. I just filtered between cars and probably overtook 1,500 odd of them by the time I got to Bray. When I got there and the Air Show had just started I kinda felt sorry for the thousands still stuck out of the m50 in their cars

• Advertisement

Actually, yes. Essentially what you are saying is that everyone else was doing it, so I had to.

Maybe if one person at a time just started to observe the rules of the road and pull in, these tailbacks would eventually subside. It has to start somewhere.

The fact that you automatically think of it as a "fast lane" says a lot though.

So your judging my driving on words i use to describe the lane im in, am i not allowed to use it to over take people doing less than 100kmh? Its the only reason i use it. I never speed on m50 due to so many undercover (May not be using correct term for these) Guards always on it. Seen one pulling over a car on way home that day. But i was in the Overtaking lane or whatever you wish to refer it as, when traffic started to slow down and stop and i couldn't move back in so i was stuck in it

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

forget the M50... people complaining about the M50 clearly never have to drive out the Naas Road... guaranteed standstill at peak times in only 2 lanes of traffic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I think a relatively easy fix to make the M50 a bit safer would be to put in cones/barriers at some of the more popular exists to stop people trying to exit at the last minute. You could start at the N7 exit and the N4 exit. Put plastic bollards between the leftmost lane and the neighboring lane for a mile or two back from the exit. It'd stop gob****es doing the old three lane shuffle at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I refuse to use that hell road unless I have to. I used it every day for 8 years until I lost my job. I'm looking for work at the minute and determined that whatever I get won't involve that road. It's cursed, and has become untenable for me to use. A crash a day at least and queuing all the time because of the sheer volume. To hell with that. And having to pay to queue for hours too. That sticks in my gut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

beauf wrote: »
    Don't agree. The standard of driving is at an all time low all over Dublin but its especially bad on the M50. I've never seen, heard of so many accidents on it ever before. Its gone from one major hold up a week to one a day and now a few a day. The N3 at Blanch is similar.

Its everywhere to be honest. The level of aggression on the roads is terrible. Even driving on normals roads people are driving up your @rse. I'm becoming more nervous on roundabouts because most of the time it looks like drivers coming up to join the roundabout aren't even going to stop and then jam on the brakes at the last minute.

Worst experience I had on the M50 in this regard was a couple of years back driving home from Sandyford on a winters night in torrential rain. I ended up getting stuck in the right hand lane and was trying to get out. Not good enough for johnny big balls behind me who flashed his lights, drove up my hole and beeped me constantly. Absolutely unnecessary given the weather conditions and due to the fact that the furthest he would get ahead would be a car's length as it was back to back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

True.

Lack of enforcement and convictions I assume.

An accident as a big impact on the M50 in terms of delays though. As there is no way off. They also seem very slow at clearing accidents. Which compounds it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maybe somebody can clear something up for me regarding motorways. If two cars tip off each other and cause minor or no damage should they not be pulling to the hard shoulder to sort it out? why do people insist on stopping in a driving lane and obstruct the traffic coming behind them? I'm on the M50 every day and the number of clowns who do this is ridiculous. Major tailbacks caused by the most minor of tips.

I think you should be charged for the distance you travel on it, if you use the full length of m50 pay the 6.20 or if you use half of it pay 3.10 or something along those lines but then again how could you implement this? Have the camera system at entrance and exit of motorway and each exit in between?? may be a costly expense at first but would be paid back in no time, this means they are getting some money from every car. But when you go and pay, how do you know how much to pay. I think the m50 needs to be thought through a bit more, there are options, but what are the best options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Keyzer wrote: »
    Its everywhere to be honest. The level of aggression on the roads is terrible. Even driving on normals roads people are driving up your @rse. I'm becoming more nervous on roundabouts because most of the time it looks like drivers coming up to join the roundabout aren't even going to stop and then jam on the brakes at the last minute.

Worst experience I had on the M50 in this regard was a couple of years back driving home from Sandyford on a winters night in torrential rain. I ended up getting stuck in the right hand lane and was trying to get out. Not good enough for johnny big balls behind me who flashed his lights, drove up my hole and beeped me constantly. Absolutely unnecessary given the weather conditions and due to the fact that the furthest he would get ahead would be a car's length as it was back to back.

Agree with this, especially with the amount of people approaching roundabouts and slamming their brakes at the last minute and then usually over shooting the line. I'm on a motorbike and this type of aggressive driving is one of my pet hates because when you're on a bike the natural instinct is to take evasive action if you think you're about to be hit.

Also when theres torrential rain on the m50 I'd say only about half of drivers slow down and adjust their driving style to suit the conditions. The amount of spray that gets thrown up in heavy rain often means you can't see that far ahead up the road yet you still get dickheads tailgating and determined to do at least 120kph

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement