Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

welsh fans

Options

Comments

buck65 wrote: »
    A month ago the whole country was roaring Wales on against England!!

I wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

i know i said lets just concentrate on ourselves a few posts up but its actually an interesting parrallell-Wales are to Rugby, as England are to Soccer.

as in, never admit to having a bad team-only "off form" or have a "lousy manager"(who must be rid of ASAP)!!! they get 1 or 2 big results and theyre suddenly world beaters.....

I actually like them but it's annoying though!!!

For some Welsh fans I would wholeheartedly agree with you, though there are some Irish fans who are exactly the same. Message boards are great if you want to spout anonymous unsubstantiated bile or unrealistic abilities of your team whether Welsh Irish English etc, unfortunately it acn be the vocal minirity who put forward these views.

So in our defence for the past couple of years we have felt that we have a team with potential (which admittedly exceeded most welsh peoples expectations in 2005).
    Since then we have not performed - as we believed there is a core of talented players available and yes we did have a stinker of a coach in Jenkins, which meant we had a crap WC (see Ireland for exactly the same, if not more so, as Irish players were more experienced and as a 15 more talented).
    Prior to this though most welsh rugby fans (those who actually follow rugby and not just turn up for the piss up on international weekends) would admit with heavy heart that we have had at best an average team for a long time with occasional blips where we have had yet another false start (mainly due to our blind optimism that appears at winning more than one game on the trot).
    But hey thats part of being a supporter, ask any Munster fan and they will believe that they will win every game they play in, is that arrogance or just a belief in your team?
    Wales for the past 20yrs has always trotted out individuals who can hold their own with the best of them, rarely in the forwards though which is where I now think we have at least a chance of building something good in the next few years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Webbs wrote: »
    For some Welsh fans I would wholeheartedly agree with you, though there are some Irish fans who are exactly the same. Message boards are great if you want to spout anonymous unsubstantiated bile or unrealistic abilities of your team whether Welsh Irish English etc, unfortunately it acn be the vocal minirity who put forward these views.

So in our defence for the past couple of years we have felt that we have a team with potential (which admittedly exceeded most welsh peoples expectations in 2005).
    Since then we have not performed - as we believed there is a core of talented players available and yes we did have a stinker of a coach in Jenkins, which meant we had a crap WC (see Ireland for exactly the same, if not more so, as Irish players were more experienced and as a 15 more talented).
    Prior to this though most welsh rugby fans (those who actually follow rugby and not just turn up for the piss up on international weekends) would admit with heavy heart that we have had at best an average team for a long time with occasional blips where we have had yet another false start (mainly due to our blind optimism that appears at winning more than one game on the trot).
    But hey thats part of being a supporter, ask any Munster fan and they will believe that they will win every game they play in, is that arrogance or just a belief in your team?
    Wales for the past 20yrs has always trotted out individuals who can hold their own with the best of them, rarely in the forwards though which is where I now think we have at least a chance of building something good in the next few years

+1

I can never understand why some people get so offended about oppostition supporters being optimistic about their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I haven't gone onto that site and I'm not going to bother either. its probably a bunch of nobs that don't really know too much and r just spouting rubbish. Most Welsh rugby fans i've met r a great laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

buck65 wrote: »
    A month ago the whole country was roaring Wales on against England!!

because i hate england,after them would come wales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Webbs wrote: »
    ask any Munster fan and they will believe that they will win every game they play in, is that arrogance or just a belief in your team?

In the case of the Munster fans - they have a basis for their optimism. In the case of the Welsh fans - what exactly do they base their predictions of handy 20 pts + wins against the Irish on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I often have a read of scrumv and there does seem to be alot of upset that despite their Grandslam in 05, they realise that Ireland are better than them as a team (not that they'd admit it;)). Most of the posters are funny, reasonable people, but all it takes is a few sh1t stirrers and a couple of drunk posts to get going (same as every forum really).
    It does seem to get very quiet outside of 6N and WC time though. Anyway, if you want absolute ignorance and arrogance, have a read of the Silver Fern:D (it's not that bad, but there are some right arrogants twats on it, considering NZ being dumped out of the WC in the quarters. Therefore they expect France to conquer all in the 6N and que consternation when they don't.)
    Actually they're quoting this thread on scrumv now. A'right boyos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The Welsh's confidence and nature of their support is understandable, its their no 1 sport(and they're serious underachievers considering this). I don't really care about them thinking they're better than us, results between the teams contradict this. Some of the stuff is bang out of order about players and Munster(and I support Leinster), but thats the nature of these forums and you get muppets in every country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    In the case of the Munster fans - they have a basis for their optimism. In the case of the Welsh fans - what exactly do they base their predictions of handy 20 pts + wins against the Irish on?

Long ago history and rose tinted glasses ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Ulstermell0

that forum's not all bad - some decent avatars ...
    just about SFW
    http://www.scumv.co.uk/images/avatars/46748803247cefdd2359b1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Well S4C are confident ;) The latest in their series of 6 Nations ads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Run7W5OGIRg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Well S4C are confident ;) The latest in their series of 6 Nations ads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Run7W5OGIRg

In fairness to them they are brilliant adds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Heres a comment from an Irish poster on one of the Welsh forums which just about sums it up:

"The good news for all you Welsh lads is that the gates at Croke Park and the Ferry gangways have all been specially widened to allow your swollen big heads to pass through."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Heres a comment from an Irish poster on one of the Welsh forums which just about sums it up:

"The good news for all you Welsh lads is that the gates at Croke Park and the Ferry gangways have all been specially widened to allow your swollen big heads to pass through."

But not wide enough to get Gatland out when his men trash eddies bunch of pussycat posers.
    cant wait to see Eddie getting his comeuppance from the guy he shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ircoha wrote: »
    But not wide enough to get Gatland out when his men trash eddies bunch of pussycat posers.
    Hi Warren!

ircoha wrote: »

hopefully one of the welsh players gets permanently ruined during the match,god i cant wait for this

il be back at 3pm to give you some more stick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

dc69 wrote: »
    hopefully one of the welsh players gets permanently ruined during the match,god i cant wait for this

il be back at 3pm to give you some more stick!

This is a bit much surely.If you are suggesting you hope somebody gets badly injured I think you have gone too far.We all want our team to win but not at any price.
    Ircoha wrote:

Have you forgotten which team Henson plays for.

I heard Henson wears frilly knickers

Shan75 wrote: »
    This is a bit much surely.If you are suggesting you hope somebody gets badly injured I think you have gone too far.We all want our team to win but not at any price.

Have you forgotten which team Henson plays for.

yeah probly was a bit harsh,I just want the win so badly.as anther poster said,there heads are as big as an air balloon.They deserve a hammering.

The way they are talking,what i said is minute in comparison to what they are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Massive giant lol at all the irish fans on here predicting a hammering. Who are the arrogant smug fans with a giantly inflated opinion of their own team now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Any chance we can stiickey this thread?

Massive giant lol at all the irish fans on here predicting a hammering. Who are the arrogant smug fans with a giantly inflated opinion of their own team now?

**** you,why are you even a member of an Irish site?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

**** you,why are you even a member of an Irish site?

Get over yourself DC. ;)

We're as bad as anyone, and we're a **** team. On form anyway. We're much much too cocky, and we need these little reminders of our actual strength.

Get over yourself DC. ;)

We're as bad as anyone, and we're a **** team. On form anyway. We're much much too cocky, and we need these little reminders of our actual strength.

how are we a **** team? maybe if we had good coach we might have a chance

why should i get over myself,i come on here to talk to other Irish people who support our national team on an Irish forum and some Welsh pup comes on to cause a bit of controversy.He has posted on the forum a few times and all his post are rubbish,they add nothing.he hasnt a clue and is jumping on the banwagon.ban him from rugby forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

why should i get over myself,i come on here to talk to other Irish people who support our national team on an Irish forum and some Welsh pup comes on to cause a bit of controversy.He has posted on the forum a few times and all his post are rubbish,they add nothing.he hasnt a clue and is jumping on the banwagon.ban him from rugby forum

Where as your quality posts involing wishing seirous injury too opposition players are what makes this site good?:rolleyes:

Where as your quality posts involing wishing seirous injury too opposition players are what makes this site good?:rolleyes:

as i said,its an Irish forum:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OK everyone.

Calm down please.

DesF wrote: »
    OK everyone.

Calm down please.

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,788 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well I guess the Welsh will have a lot to crow about now. Triple Crown winners for 2008 and may yet take the Grandslam or the 6Ns. The better team won today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Eddie's turned into a bit of a disaster, and like most Irish rugby fans I'd love to see him go. However, it's easy to blame him for everything, the players underperformed today, as well as the coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement