Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Mile World Championships!!!

Options
  • 04-09-2014 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

FYI !

First-Ever Flotrack Beer Mile World Championships Set for December 3, 2014 in Austin

Elite field includes Olympian Nick Symmonds

AUSTIN, Texas (August 21, 2014) – Flocasts announced today the details for the first-ever Flotrack Beer Mile World Championships, to be held December 3, 2014 in Austin, Texas, the home of Flocasts headquarters. Elite beer-mile athletes signed on for the event include 800-meter Olympian Nick Symmonds, and top beer-milers Elizabeth Laseter (25) of Charlotte, NC and Corey Gallagher (27) of Winnipeg, Manitoba, among others.

“The participation in the beer mile has grown enormously. Conquering it has become a prized accomplishment for many elite runners and it’s time to officially crown the World Champion,” said Flocasts co-founder Mark Floreani. “The Flotrack Beer Mile World Championship will bring together the best of the best in Austin this December, and we look to put on an incredible show that celebrates the spirit and culture of the sport.”

The championship, for which the venue will be revealed on the day of the race, will follow professional track meet standards, including fully automatic timing, strict adherence to the beer mile rules, and a cash prize for the winners and potential new world record holders. Currently, the unofficial men's mile record is 4:57.1 and the women's record is 6:42.0.

"The beer mile is a fun event that is popular with the masses,” said Olympian Nick Symmonds. “In the past, thirsty runners like myself have taken to local tracks at night and occasionally broadcast our efforts on YouTube. Thanks to Flocasts, we can give this race a proper stage and find out who really is the king (and queen) of the beer mile.”

For competing athletes, the World Championships are an opportunity to further elevate their sport and showcase their athletic capabilities.

“I'm a competitive person, so a challenge like the Beer Mile World Championships excites me,” said competitor Elizabeth Laseter. “This race will showcase how well you can stomach four beers in less than 10 minutes—while sprinting. To me, that's a badass race.”

The event will also feature various relay heats for celebrities, media and sponsors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great idea, but its really a North American Championships. Hard to envisage athletes from further afield going to the expense of getting there. Josh Harris has already confirmed he won't be traveling.

Looking forward to it though. Symmonds has done a lot of talking on this. Now it's time to see what he can actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Info here from flotrack:

http://www.flotrack.org/beermileworlds/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Didn't technically pour any of the cans over her head though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

opus wrote: »

That's clearly an illegal beermile. She doesn't tip the cans over her head after each beer to prove they are empty.
    Also I don't think they should count 'time-trials' for records only events were things are offically timed and controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Looks at least as legit as the lad who did one last year and is posted above. At least she had 'unopened' cans (with the guy, iirc, he could have been slugging water) and tbf, it looks like she downed all the beer in 2,3 and 4 anyway. The first one tossed into the grass may have had a bit left.

As a 49 year old father of four, I'm inspired to give this a lash sooner rather than later.

Itziger wrote: »
    Looks at least as legit as the lad who did one last year and is posted above. At least she had 'unopened' cans (with the guy, iirc, he could have been slugging water) and tbf, it looks like she downed all the beer in 2,3 and 4 anyway. The first one tossed into the grass may have had a bit left.

As a 49 year old father of four, I'm inspired to give this a lash sooner rather than later.

That's the thing, they ratified the record in the OP which I think they never should have. In My eyes Josh harris still holds the WR until someone sets one in an offcial race.

Edit: This is the apparent WR effort, didn't realise it was not linked above

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

npresto wrote: »

Jeez, Lance, I thought you couldn't sink any lower in my estimation. You just did. 1 fupping lap, man, 1 goddamn lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Itziger wrote: »
    Jeez, Lance, I thought you couldn't sink any lower in my estimation. You just did. 1 fupping lap, man, 1 goddamn lap!

Yes but he is only a 43 year old father of 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

npresto wrote: »

He was expecting an EPO chaser...

Corey Gallagher wins in 5:00:23

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/251607-Flo-Beer-Mile-World-Championships-2014/video/754223-2014-Beer-Mile-World-Championship-Mens-Race-Gallagher-wins-in-50023#.VIA4ycmeFyM

Pretty good race as well. Nick Simmonds well out of it. 'World Record' Holder nowhere to be seen. Why is his record even allowed to stand?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Corey Gallagher wins in 5:00:23

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/251607-Flo-Beer-Mile-World-Championships-2014/video/754223-2014-Beer-Mile-World-Championship-Mens-Race-Gallagher-wins-in-50023#.VIA4ycmeFyM

Pretty good race as well. Nick Simmonds well out of it. 'World Record' Holder nowhere to be seen. Why is his record even allowed to stand?

Nielsen doesn't have a good relationship with Flotrack from what I've heard. He's hosting the Beer Mile World Classic next year and is paying for Josh Harris to come out to San Francisco to race him, which is far more than Flotrack would do for their supposed "world championship". He seems like a decent guy.

Harris would have won that Flotrack race using that low carbonated beer they were all given.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Nielsen doesn't have a good relationship with Flotrack from what I've heard. He's hosting the Beer Mile World Classic next year and is paying for Josh Harris to come out to San Francisco to race him, which is far more than Flotrack would do for their supposed "world championship". He seems like a decent guy.

Harris would have won that Flotrack race using that low carbonated beer they were all given.

What's the story with the low carbonated beer?

What's the story with the low carbonated beer?

Some local brewery brewed a special beer for the race which intentionally had less carbonation.

Also, while I remain a big Nick Symmonds fan, I'm glad he flopped. I didn't like his pre race comment that the winner of this race should be given the WR and that all previous "silly world records" should be scrapped. The Parkville Beer Milers Club in Melbourne University run their events exceptionally well and fully legitimately, and off a fraction of Flotrack's budget. Had he bothered to look outside the good land of US of A and watched the videos of Harris's records them he wouldn't have come out with such tripe.

It would be great to have a race with all of the worlds best together at once but this may never happen until Flotrack start paying for internationals to come over.

Some local brewery brewed a special beer for the race which intentionally had less carbonation.

Also, while I remain a big Nick Symmonds fan, I'm glad he flopped. I didn't like his pre race comment that the winner of this race should be given the WR and that all previous "silly world records" should be scrapped. The Parkville Beer Milers Club in Melbourne University run their events exceptionally well and fully legitimately, and off a fraction of Flotrack's budget. Had he bothered to look outside the good land of US of A and watched the videos of Harris's records them he wouldn't have come out with such tripe.

It would be great to have a race with all of the worlds best together at once but this may never happen until Flotrack start paying for internationals to come over.

Ah that's not on about the beer.
    I agree with his comment about the records though. I don't understand how Nielsen's is allowed to count when there was no-one except his girlfriend there to verify it and he didn't pour the empty beers over his head...I notice a lot of them didn't do that in the video above either.
    Didn't beermile.com once disallow a Josh Harris record for failing to display one of his cans was empty? Seems ridiculous they have now dropped their standards so much...

Ah that's not on about the beer.
    I agree with his comment about the records though. I don't understand how Nielsen's is allowed to count when there was no-one except his girlfriend there to verify it and he didn't pour the empty beers over his head...I notice a lot of them didn't do that in the video above either.
    Didn't beermile.com once disallow a Josh Harris record for failing to display one of his cans was empty? Seems ridiculous they have now dropped their standards so much...

I agree about the Nielsen record, but Symmonds wanted the records wiped clean, which is an insult into the fully legit Harris records.

Yeh they seem to have become a lot more lenient with the bottle tipping. Since Nielsen's record was ratified, they have retrospectively ratified Harris's 5:02 which had originally not been ratified. So retrospectively his 5:04 was never a WR. Weird.

Yeh they seem to have become a lot more lenient with the bottle tipping. Since Nielsen's record was ratified, they have retrospectively ratified Harris's 5:02 which had originally not been ratified. So retrospectively his 5:04 was never a WR. Weird.

Didn't know that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,691 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have any medical people come out against this event?

walshb wrote: »
    Have any medical people come out against this event?

It's harmless. 4 beers is not going to kill anyone. You will have people moaning alright, but they are the type who moan for the sake of it. Far more to worry about in society, with obesity, crime etc, than healthy humans who train hard all year round, having a bit of harmless, controlled fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,691 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's harmless. 4 beers is not going to kill anyone. You will have people moaning alright, but they are the type who moan for the sake of it. Far more to worry about in society, with obesity, crime etc, than healthy humans who train hard all year round, having a bit of harmless, controlled fun.

I was more thinking of the massive physical effort combined with the ingestion of 1.4 litres of beer all in 5-6 minutes. I'd say it's a weird feeling coming down the final stretch. I wouldn't moan. I would just love to hear if anyone could break down the risks and effects from doing it, mainly the short term effects. Even a "healthy" person has the same organs as someone not so "healthy."

I was more thinking of the massive physical effort combined with the ingestion of 1.4 litres of beer all in 5-6 minutes. I'd say it's a weird feeling coming down the final stretch. I wouldn't moan. I would just love to hear if anyone could break down the risks and effects from doing it, mainly the short term effects. Even a "healthy" person has the same organs as someone not so "healthy."

No big deal. We organise one every year. Here is last year's thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89528979

And here is a video from 2013
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B95oaZ5iI1ZeTEVfVkJNVVVLcUk/edit

No-one died and no one went to hospital, most went to the pub afterwards.

It's a great feeling! :D

Damage you would do is negligible. It's not that much drink in the grand scheme of things. You might feel the urge to hurl after the race alright. You feel very drunk after as all the alcohol, along with the endorphins hit you at once. It fades away quickly though. Get a bite to eat into ya after and you sober up quickly.

Far more damage is done by acting the gobsh1te afterwards and drinking another 7-8 beers on an empty stomach. I can verify that from experience! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

https://twitter.com/sprint_mgmt/status/666738895158120449
    Rumours circulating that Lewis Kent just ran a 4:52 beer mile. That would eclipse WR by 2.5secs. Footage coming soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Not one beer tipped over the head.
    Not legit imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

He could've hopped on a bike down the back straight for all you see in that vid.

(Hope that sun is going down, btw, instead of coming up.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Surely WR's should only be counted at races, you don't see Bolt posting up videos of 100M records from training sessions.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Not one beer tipped over the head.
    Not legit imo :)

It'll be counted I reckon. They were measuring the froth left behind in the beers which is a much more fool proof system than pouring them over your head. There were records accepted in which you couldn't even be sure there was anything drank in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It'll be counted I reckon. They were measuring the froth left behind in the beers which is a much more fool proof system than pouring them over your head. There were records accepted in which you couldn't even be sure there was anything drank in the first place!

Yeah, but the guy who's taking the bottle disappears out of picture (after the first one anyway). Could be pouring it out.......

Advertisement