Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I Running Or Jogging?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nice one . Sometimes on easy runs I just run by heart rate making sure I keep it well within my easy zone .uber 140 for me. Those runs are always enjoyable.

Rest and easy days are all part of the journey you shouldn't feel guilty for taking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Marlay Parkrun
    My first ever parkrun / timed event / run that involves people other than me

I really needed to lay down a good PB today because my confidence has been low this week and I needed proof that training is actually working and I am improving. I decided that if I could hold 5:10/km pace for a while and push at the end to finish in the mid 25s, I'd be pretty happy with that as it would be comfortably the fastest 5k I'd ever run and show clear improvement.

I was unusually prepared last night, trying to make sure that nothing could possibly stand in my way this morning. I went out and bought some Adidas running shorts, a long sleeve Adidas running t shirt, along with a short sleeve one, some socks and some gloves. So I finally had some gear that would at least make me look like a real runner.

I printed out my barcode, carefully encased it in clingfilm to keep it dry as I knew it would be raining this morning, laid out my gear, and went to bed early. I was asleep before midnight, and up at 7:45 on a Saturday. Both of these things have happened maybe twice in the last decade, so I was taking this super serial and I don't even know who I am anymore.

Breakfast was two slices of toasted soda bread with butter and jam, a cup of coffee and a pint of water. Then off I went to the park.

I had a slow warmup run of a little over 1km at about 7:00/km pace, but I got to the start about ten minutes early and it was raining so I did another little lap of the carpark to keep warm.

The race run:

Having never done anything like this I didn't know where I fit into the pack and I certainly didn't want to be in anyone's way, so I stayed near the back as we crowded behind the start line. The announcer gave a quick introduction and then there was a minute's silence for those who lost their lives in Paris which was a nice touch - it was pretty well observed too.

Kilometer 1:

And we were off. I immediately knew I should have started further forward. There were a couple of hundred people ahead of me and the start was slow. The first km turns right out of the carpark and then leads on to the course's only uphill stretch which is about a 15m rise over, I'd guess, about 600m. I knew that at this pace I'd be ages getting up that hill and my time would suffer badly. I would have to go off road.

Into the mud I went on the left hand side of the path - I chose the left because it meant I was making the course longer rather than shorter for myself and thus no cheating - and I started passing people. Back onto the path for a right turn and then right again onto the uphill stretch. I wasn't going to run on the grass here, but things were starting to spread slightly and I saw a few guys and girls weaving up ahead so I followed them and weaved through a few gaps to get into some space.

Topped the rise, feeling nice and strong, and we were into a gradual downhill for 1km or more which is where I knew I needed to make up a lot of time. A girl ahead of me hit the mud on the right hand side (again, the 'longer' side) in order to get past people and I followed her.

Kilometer 2:

We were on the downhill now and the field had spread out nicely so there was room. I know I do well on the downhills, maybe because I have a killer set of quads from cycling ;), but more likely because I read advice on here about leaning into the slope and lifting the knees which I've been practising, so it was my intention to win some seconds here so that psychologically I'd know I had headroom later.

There were people puffing a bit already and I was galloping (in my terms anyway) past them. I could see a few people up ahead taking the same approach as me, but I was even gaining on them! I felt really good at this stage and even though I had no idea what pace I was actually going, it felt right.

It was probably around the end of this kilometer as things started to flatten out that I came upon a woman running with her dog, I think it was a labrador or a golden retriever. She was paying a lot of attention to the dog and still looked like she was scarcely making an effort, so I thought if I can stick close to her I probably won't be going far wrong. I passed her, gradually, but she'd be back.

Kilometer 3:

I'd heard a lot about how in a 5k, the third kilometer is hell. I didn't experience it that way, my overriding memory is just that it was long. I remember thinking plenty of times "Shouldn't we be near the 3km sign by now?" but still not even seeing it in the distance.

I was all flat now and I was moving along at what felt like a steady pace. I think I glanced at the watch here and was happy enough with what I saw, but I don't recall what it said.

Retriever lady passed me again somewhere in this kilometer so I just stayed on her shoulder. I was probably starting to pant a bit now and I don't think she was, so I thought I'd use her as a pacer. After a while though, the dog seemed to be struggling. I remember her coaxing it a bit, I don't think he was moving fast enough for her, and then eventually passed her and I don't think I saw her again.

I think I outran a dog guys. This is my biggest athletic achievement ever.

Kilometer 4:

Now shit started to get real.

This kilometer was my own personal little hell. I had no idea where I was with regards to my goal time, but I didn't feel I was doing well enough to be able to back off at this point. But that's all I wanted to do.

I really, really thought I didn't have it in my to keep running for another two kilometers. All of a sudden, everything wanted to stop. Just stop. Not even slow down, or walk, stop.

I focused on my breathing to try and get things under control. "You've let yourself get a little gassed, that's all" I was telling myself. "Deep, controlled breaths, calm down, you've got this."

I looked at the people ahead of me who I had been gaining on gradually and thought "Ease off just a little, stop gaining, keep that gap the same and you'll be okay". I kept telling myself that for a long time, but it seemed to work because eventually I passed the sign for...

Kilometer 5:

It's all a bit of a blur here. I don't think my brain was getting enough oxygen anymore. I didn't care about pace now, I just needed to keep moving. I thought I was going really slowly, but the people in front weren't getting any further away and only one person had passed me - a guy who looked like he was well into his 60s with not a bother on him - so I can't have been going that badly.

"There's a right turn up ahead. I looked at that on Google Maps yesterday and it's almost exactly 500m from the finish. Push!" I had nothing to push with.

We're on a slight downhill now, and I'm really puffing. Really puffing. 500m sounds like 500 miles to me. We're approaching the second to last left turn now and two guys on my shoulder spring into action. How long have they been there? I don't know, but they have good ideas. "Ok, push?" says one to the other. "Push." the other replies.

They move out to my right and pull ahead and all I can think is "Follow them!" The legs groan "Noooo!" but my brain is back in the driving seat. I will never catch them, but in following them I pass a few others.

And now I'm on the home straight. And look there's the finish and push and oh look it's closer and...

I'm done?

I'm totally done and the Garmin says...

24:51

Get out of town.

This is the best day ever. :D

After:

I go and get scanned and pant my thanks at the volunteers as I pass. Then a 1km jog back to the car at about 6:30/km pace and I can't wipe the grin off my face.

I might still be slow in the grand scheme of things, but I'm faster than I ever was before - faster than a couple of hundred other runners! This training stuff works, actually works. I'm delighted. The bug is back! :D

Oh and here are the splits according to Garmin (sounds like a gospel), which actually pretty well match the story as I told it. :D

5:18
    4:33
    4:52
    5:22
    4:53

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

That's absolutely brilliant!!! You totally smashed it!
    Really well done and very engaging report too. Super stuff max!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Brilliant stuff. Sounds like the training is really paying off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great stuff! (Both the running and the writing).

Hilarious description of beating the dog :)

Thanks guys, just had a nice nap as a reward. Here's hoping I can beat that at Jingle Bells. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant stuff Maximus!!!! well done you :) & a super race report too. Marlay is a busy parkrun so FYI there are others not too far away, Tymon Park & Shanganagh (which is pancake flat). I hope you become a regular, parkrun is fab :) You will undoubtedly knock time off that for Jingle bells. Well done again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Advertisement

Well done maximus great run and a great report

Two days' rest after the parkrun had me itching to get out, though unfortunately not without some concerns. I had a niggle in the left foot again, that left foot that strikes fear into my heart since it knocked me out of action in December '14, the last time I tried to turn myself into a runner. I also discovered what glutes are, because one of them has been bothering me, though I think that's just a bit of tightness.

I didn't cycle home from work today because I dipped into the cycling forum and spotted some cyclists with much more experience than I suggesting that it might be best to avoid doing so if possible, and if someone likes cycling enough to be a regular on a forum about it, I'd be inclined to defer to their judgement.

I was glad I listened too, because on the way home I saw a number of cyclists being blown a couple of feet off course and out into traffic, though thankfully without grim consequences. Another lady had the glasses blown clean off her face and I had to sprint after them and retrieve them for her. Well, I didn't have to, but I'm not an asshole. 'Twas madness out there altogether.

So, instead of my usual 10k cycle warm-up, I had to settle for a 4k walk instead.

3 Miles Easy (supposedly):

The legs were absolutely packed full of energy despite the niggles, and I set out way too fast for an easy run. Every time I looked at the watch I was going faster than I intended, and I would slow down, only to be going too fast again the next time I looked at the watch. It was more of a moderate effort in parts, but really enjoyable. There were far fewer people out than there normally are on this route, so that made me feel pretty good about myself.

Splits: 5:31 - 6:18 - 6:07 - 5:54 - 5:42 - 2:58 (5:30/km)

Total: 5.54km @ 5:52/km

Too far and too fast, I'll probably pay for that tomorrow or Thursday.

I've been keeping an eye on my resting heart rate over the last few days and the average is implausibly low: 44.5 bpm. Are you supposed to check it the moment you wake up or am I doing it wrong??

Man I write long-winded log entries. Also I love running.

Fortunately the foot problem seems to have eased off today but the glute didn't. I'm not sure if it was worse or if I was just more aware of it because I wasn't bricking it about my foot any more. I was walking with a hint of a limp all day though.

Insomnia again last night meant I had to battle with myself to get out for this run - a couch nap seemed so much more appealing - but I managed to trick myself out the door by saying "Well at least do something, even if it's just 30 minutes easy" and then once we were outside revealing that "We're actually doing the planned run, sucker!"

40 Minute Tempo:

Hal reckons that the first and last ten minutes or so should be at easy pace, with the wedge in the middle at a higher effort. I turned off auto-lap on the watch this time for the splits (cheers for that suggestion last time Muppet). I could have planned my route better because the tempo section started on a 1.3km slight uphill directly into the wind. :rolleyes:

10 mins easy: 1.53km @ 6:32/km
    20 mins tempo: 3.73km @ 5:23/km
    10 mins easy: 1.61km @ 6:06/km

Total: 6.88km @ 5:48/km

One of those runs that I didn't want to do in the first place, suffered a bit during, and was really happy about afterwards. I was running with a limp by the end, but I stretched the glutes and, for now anyway, that seems to have helped.

Popped into the gym on the way home to weigh myself for the first time in ages. 76.5kg, down from 79kg. Happy enough with that, though at 186cm I wouldn't want to be getting much lighter so it's probably time to go order a pizza. :D

I was meant do do this easy run last night but I decided to defer and let the glute rest. Felt better all day today and then started to aggravate once I started running. :mad:

3 Miles Easy:

Aerobically speaking, this felt like perhaps the easiest run I've ever done. Unfortunately, the physical mechanics of running were quite uncomfortable. The splits were also some of the most even I've ever managed to pull off (if you just sort of squint your eyes when you look at the last kilometer).

6:15 - 6:11 - 6:17 - 6:15 - 6:03

Total: 5km @ 6:12/km

Now, pub, pack and off on holidays tomorrow. The runners are coming with me!

Sorry to read of the gluts acting up again, it looks like the holiers are perfectly timed , enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Enjoy the holiday! U deserve it after all your hard work recently! Hope the niggles get better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Great log, really enjoying it, keeping me motivated on my journey!

Just curious on the left foot problem, I am having something similar on some runs but only every now and then.
    My left foot, just between the shin and the foot gets very stiff on some runs, makes it very difficult to run properly but sometimes eases off before I finish the run. It usually happens about half way in and eases off in the last km, hate when it happens as it ruins the run!

Is your issue something like this?

tony1980 wrote: »
    Great log, really enjoying it, keeping me motivated on my journey!

Just curious on the left foot problem, I am having something similar on some runs but only every now and then.
    My left foot, just between the shin and the foot gets very stiff on some runs, makes it very difficult to run properly but sometimes eases off before I finish the run. It usually happens about half way in and eases off in the last km, hate when it happens as it ruins the run!

Is your issue something like this?

Hey Tony, that sounds different from the problem I have which is around the outside if the foot on the fifth metatarsal.

The feeling you're describing sounds familiar though, are you relatively new to running? I don't mean that in an insulting way, but I remember getting a stiff feeling around the area when I first started out and I found stretching really eased it for me. Like this:

shin-stretch300.jpg

Hey Tony, that sounds different from the problem I have which is around the outside if the foot on the fifth metatarsal.

The feeling you're describing sounds familiar though, are you relatively new to running? I don't mean that in an insulting way, but I remember getting a stiff feeling around the area when I first started out and I found stretching really eased it for me. Like this:

shin-stretch300.jpg

That is probably it, I am back about 8 weeks now and really sticking with it this time and actually starting to look forward to each run. I must try some of those stretches specific for the ankle, thanks for the tip!

5 Miles Easy:

A few drinks last night and then travelling all day had me pretty dehydrated setting out, but 8k in the early evening Tenerife heat left my tongue like sandpaper.

I went up the promenade along the sea front for 4k and back again. Nice opportunity to explore some of the town.

Total: 8k @ 6:06/km

Downed a litre of water when I got back to the apartment and was thirsty again about 10 minutes later. Limping badly when walking now with the glute, but oddly can still run.

This arrived in my inbox this morning and I thought it may interest you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlHeyCFRDuM&feature=youtu.be&list=PLrbwxlLsQTFOhc58jxAthgrPPHzXqCRBn

• Advertisement

Looks good, thanks for that! I'll incorporate that into my routine.

7 Miles Easy:

26°, sore glute, not easy. :eek:

Was smart and brought water this time.

Total: 11.2km @ 6:00/km

3 Miles Easy:

I thought it would be nice to head down to the beach and do this barefoot with the waves lapping at my toes. The reality was not as idyllic as it sounds. It was nice, but beaches are angled into the sea and this one particularly so, which meant it was putting pressure on my joints in an odd way.

I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Total: 5km @ 5:58/km

Glute felt much better today and the run stirred it up a little, but nothing like last time. Seems to be heading the right direction.

I'm not best pleased with today but at least I got something done. It was supposed to be 8x400m and the plan was to use the warmup to find somewhere appropriate to do them around here where most of the streets are packed with tourists.

During the warmup though the glute fired a warning shot and made it pretty clear that anything approaching sprinting today would be met with a swift and devastating response.

Perturbed, but not beaten I morphed this run into some sort of tempo \ progression frankenmonster. Auto lap was off for the 400m repeats but I started at about 6:40/km and finished at about 4:50/km.

Total: 5.03km @ 5:33/km in 27:52

3 Miles Easy:

It was overcast today and, while still warm, it was much cooler than the last few days. That meant running felt easier which meant I went a bit faster than I intended. It would be a bit of a stretch to call this easy effort for me, enjoyed it though.

Total: 5km @ 5:48/km

Hows the glute holding up?

It's okish, its giving me the odd sharp jolt but I'm not limping anymore. I've two longer runs tomorrow and Sunday so I'm a little worried it could flare up but sure we'll see. If it does I'll have to start thinking about a physio.

Mixed feelings today. I was supposed to do 5 miles 'fast' yesterday, but with checkout at 11am and not getting back to Dublin until around midnight there just wasn't an opportunity. I was disappointed but I'm not annoyed about it because it couldn't be helped, life will get in the way sometimes, I've decades ahead of me to make up for it. Hopefully.

So I had to decide whether to do yesterday's 'fast' run today and drop the long run, or just carry on according to the plan. Since I keep hearing that miles are the most important thing, I thought I'd stick with the long run and add in a few quicker kilometers somewhere in the middle for the best of both.

7 Miles Easy:

It was a delight to be running in the freezing cold again. I actually mean that - it's so much easier! I genuinely felt like I could run forever today, that is until the last kilometer when my legs suddenly began to tire badly. My heart and lungs seem to be way ahead of my legs and I wasn't breathing heavily at any point during this, which is probably the source of my problems - it leads to me running farther and faster than my legs are able for I think.

1-5km: 6:15 - 5:51 - 5:56 - 6:00 - 6:00
    6-10km: 6:00 - 5:27 - 5:35 - 5:47 - 5:21
    11-12km: 5:44 - 5:58

Total: 12km @ 5:50/km

Garmin Connect tells me this was both my farthest distance and contained my fastest ever 10k. I really enjoyed this run and was full of the joys of living, everything was going superbly until later in the run when the issue I have been blaming on the glute for the last couple of weeks suddenly flared up. However, I now think I've been diagnosing it incorrectly because it seems like it might actually be my ITB. It's hard to say, especially because I thought that often manifested as knee pain which I'm not experiencing. I probably should just go to a physio, but I worry they'll prescribe rest and I really don't want to rest!

After about 11k, my legs suddenly tired rapidly and my form went to crap. I think this was because I had been compensating for the above issue for a couple of kilometers and I should probably have just stopped but I stupidly kept going. When I did stop, I was limping badly.

So yeah, mixed feelings. A really enjoyable run but I don't think I did myself any favours.

Nice session. Sorry to hear of the problem.

The knee problem sounds somewhat familiar. You know what needs to be done .

I have to do Jingle Bells next Saturday - it's not optional, so I'll wait until after that when I'll be between plans to deal with it. ;)

On a brighter note, mileage is heading in the right direction:

Week|Km|mi
    31 Aug | 4.13 | 2.58
    7 Sep | 4.02 | 2.51
    14 Sep | 9.89 | 6.18
    21 Sep | 12.07 | 7.54
    28 Sep | 8.06 | 5.03
    Sep Total | 38.17 | 23.86
    5 Oct | 20.00 | 12.5
    12 Oct | 26.42 | 16.51
    19 Oct | 29.09 | 18.18
    26 Oct | 23.29 | 14.56
    Oct Total | 98.8 | 61.75
    2 Nov | 32.65 | 20.4
    9 Nov | 16.92 | 10.58
    16 Nov | 36.65 | 22.9
    23 Nov | 27.06 | 16.91
    Nov Total | 113.28 | 70.8
    YTD | 250.25 | 156.4

Weird to think that my monthly mileage is still just a week's running for some folks.

• Advertisement

I have to do Jingle Bells next Saturday - it's not optional, so I'll wait until after that when I'll be between plans to deal with it. ;)

Don't tell anyone but that's been my thinking for the last week or so too, I'm dont know how wise it is though, It just displays our determination and commitment, admirable traits in a longish distance runner.:) Sure if worst comes to worst we can hobble around together.

I had serious thoughts about dropping this run out of sheer laziness which hasn't happened in a while. Being back in work after a leisurely week away has left my sleep patterns even worse than usual and I just felt knackered, but just as I was about to flop down on the couch some part of my brain put the foot down and out I went.

3 Miles Easy:

My legs felt pretty weird today, I guess Sunday's run was probably pretty tough on them even though I enjoyed it, but I didn't realise how much so until I hit the pavement today. My knees felt a bit tender, which never happens, and I was just generally feeling heavy, but it got easier as I went. Still, I kept it nice and slow because the last thing I want to do is hurt myself in the last week of the plan.

The glute / ITB / whatever it is was pretty quiet throughout which was great. I'll probably tear it to shreds come Saturday, but as long as I get to the finish line I can worry about that later. :o

Total: 5k @ 6:21/km

The glute / ITB / whatever it is was pretty quiet throughout which was great. I'll probably tear it to shreds come Saturday, but as long as I get to the finish line I can worry about that later. :o

Total: 5k @ 6:21/km

having learned that one the hard way, I'd worry about it now. Jingle bells is one race, of hundreds and it'll be there next year. Don't do anything that will keep you out injured or worse(!). Just be careful :)

Firedance wrote: »
    having learned that one the hard way, I'd worry about it now. Jingle bells is one race, of hundreds and it'll be there next year. Don't do anything that will keep you out injured or worse(!). Just be careful :)

In fairness I know you're probably right, but I just can't drop this race. It was the whole reason I started this plan in the first place, the reason I started taking running more seriously and I've committed with colleagues and we've even formed teams.

As persistent as this problem has been the last couple of weeks it has never prevented me from running, so it's not that severe. It's a worry, but I'm pretty confident that it'll go away if I just stick to short easy runs for a couple of weeks after the race. I hope.

Maybe being stubborn will mean that this is one of those lessons I'll have to learn by experience, but I won't be able to talk myself out of doing Jingle Bells.

Well I'm just in from the last run of the 5k plan, all that's left to do is race. I dropped last night's final tempo session because I felt it was more likely to aggravate my injury than offer any benefit at this stage.

2 Miles Easy:

Plan called for 2 easy miles, but I did a little bit extra. I felt really sluggish and laboured throughout for reasons that I don't understand.

Total: 4.46km @ 5:54/km

I should be feeling pretty satisfied right now and excited about Saturday, having come to the end of what I set out to do at the beginning of October with only the reward of the race itself left, but instead I'm feeling pretty negative. I felt completely lethargic today and have no confidence that I'll put in a good performance at Jingle Bells. After the parkrun a couple of weeks back I had my sights set on breaking 24 minutes, but I don't think that's a possibility right now and, to be honest, I feel like I might even fail to match the PB that I set in Marlay. I don't know what's gotten into me really, but I'm feeling pretty glum and sort of like I've gone backwards in the last couple of weeks.

I wasn't going to post that moany bit, but sure the point of the log is to be honest and maybe someone will be where I am at some point, stumble upon this and (hopefully) find out on the next page that was all in my head or something.

Race day will be a lot different than your solo training run, the atmosphere, having people to follow or chase down and your own adrenaline flowing, The best of luck on Saturday, all you can do is give it everything and see where that gets you..

Hopefully the weather improves for it, doing the same run myself, just going to try and enjoy it and not worry too much about time, my first official 5k. Best of luck in it :-)

tony1980 wrote: »
    Hopefully the weather improves for it, doing the same run myself, just going to try and enjoy it and not worry too much about time, my first official 5k. Best of luck in it :-)

Best not to talk about Saturday's weather forecast...

Anyway, your training has looked pretty good, I wouldn't rule anything out. Jingle Bells is a notoriously PB friendly course so just give it all on the day and you might well surprise yourself.

If I don't meet my own target on Saturday, after blaming the weather (obviously), I'll sign up to another 5k over Christmas and see if more favourable conditions will lead to a better time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Good luck tomorrow. I think you'll surprise yourself!

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, that wasn't intended to sound like a pity party, I just feel drained this week for whatever reason. But sure, I could have a good night's sleep tonight and wake up feeling great tomorrow - you never know!

I hope you all get what you're after tomorrow, even if it looks like the weather is conspiring against us!

Tony, have you thought about starting a log?

Jingle Bells 5k:

I have two main feelings today - delight that I definitely ran a PB despite the conditions and how lethargic I felt all week, along with bafflement as to what my time actually was.

I dropped my car at the house of a friend who lives in Ballyfermot and then we got a lift down to the park entrance. From there we had an easy jog up to the starting line and back and forth for a couple of minutes, met and chatted with some of our colleagues, and then went to our respective start positions.

Before long everyone up ahead set off, but it was only 10:58 by my watch, and sure enough it was a false start. I'm not sure how, or why that happened, but they spent a few minutes pushing us all back before starting for real. I never heard a gun, so only knew to start when everyone in front of me set off. Then I was keeping my eye out for a mat to start my watch, but there was none so I probably started it quite late.

Despite lining up in the appropriate place based on signage, I ended up behind a lot of people going slower than I wanted, so I took to the grass verge on the right for a hundred meters or so to get past them. After that I got into a comfortable groove for most of the race and... it's kind of a blur really.

Before I knew it I was approaching the last turn and suddenly feeling pretty gassed, but there were people shouting encouragement and telling us that the finish was only around the next bend. I pushed on, and they were right. I was pretty pleased to see the yellow flags flapping in the breeze up ahead and pushed as well as I could but the lungs were already doing more or less all they could.

As I approached the line I was stunned to see that the clock on the right reading 23:32... 23:33.. 23:34... By the time I crossed the line it couldn't have been much past 23:40 and I was in disbelief. I stopped the watch, which read 4.96km in 23:36 at an average pace of 4:46/km. I was delighted, thinking that regardless of what happened at the start, my official time would have to be sub-24.

I met up with the gang beside the finishing pen and we chatted for a while, then I picked up my bag and jogged back to my mate's for tea and cake.

Unfortunately when I finally got back into the car and checked the phone I had a text reporting my official time as 24:18. It's still a PB of more than 30 seconds, but I'm completely convinced I ran sub-24. I don't know what went on there, but I can't go around making up times, so I'll have to take it.

It was my first proper race and I really enjoyed the day - it's shame the weather had us all fleeing for cover pretty soon afterwards. The mug was a nice touch and I'll be having tea out of it after I hit submit on this. The glute / ITB / whatever fired a couple of warning shots near the end but basically held up pretty well - no limp afterwards or anything!

I look forward to seeing how the rest of you fared and I hope you all got what you wanted.

All in all, a good day out!

Jingle Bells 5k:

I have two main feelings today - delight that I definitely ran a PB despite the conditions and how lethargic I felt all week, along with bafflement as to what my time actually was.

I dropped my car at the house of a friend who lives in Ballyfermot and then we got a lift down to the park entrance. From there we had an easy jog up to the starting line and back and forth for a couple of minutes, met and chatted with some of our colleagues, and then went to our respective start positions.

Before long everyone up ahead set off, but it was only 10:58 by my watch, and sure enough it was a false start. I'm not sure how, or why that happened, but they spent a few minutes pushing us all back before starting for real. I never heard a gun, so only knew to start when everyone in front of me set off. Then I was keeping my eye out for a mat to start my watch, but there was none so I probably started it quite late.

Despite lining up in the appropriate place based on signage, I ended up behind a lot of people going slower than I wanted, so I took to the grass verge on the right for a hundred meters or so to get past them. After that I got into a comfortable groove for most of the race and... it's kind of a blur really.

Before I knew it I was approaching the last turn and suddenly feeling pretty gassed, but there were people shouting encouragement and telling us that the finish was only around the next bend. I pushed on, and they were right. I was pretty pleased to see the yellow flags flapping in the breeze up ahead and pushed as well as I could but the lungs were already doing more or less all they could.

As I approached the line I was stunned to see that the clock on the right reading 23:32... 23:33.. 23:34... By the time I crossed the line it couldn't have been much past 23:40 and I was in disbelief. I stopped the watch, which read 4.96km in 23:36 at an average pace of 4:46/km. I was delighted, thinking that regardless of what happened at the start, my official time would have to be sub-24.

I met up with the gang beside the finishing pen and we chatted for a while, then I picked up my bag and jogged back to my mate's for tea and cake.

Unfortunately when I finally got back into the car and checked the phone I had a text reporting my official time as 24:18. It's still a PB of more than 30 seconds, but I'm completely convinced I ran sub-24. I don't know what went on there, but I can't go around making up times, so I'll have to take it.

It was my first proper race and I really enjoyed the day - it's shame the weather had us all fleeing for cover pretty soon afterwards. The mug was a nice touch and I'll be having tea out of it after I hit submit on this. The glute / ITB / whatever fired a couple of warning shots near the end but basically held up pretty well - no limp afterwards or anything!

I look forward to seeing how the rest of you fared and I hope you all got what you wanted.

All in all, a good day out!

A very similar experience as myself at the start max sounds like we were pretty near each other . Don't forget the official time is gun time so if you were back past the sub 25 sign like myself there would be a bit of time before you got moving .

Well done on the PB and good that you got around without the injury bothering you.

Yeah the start was a bit of a shambles & we only have gun times, well done on your pb!!! That's a super result & glad the injury didn't flare up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Pity about the timing issues and the start alright, but very very well done on your pb!! Super time for your first proper 5k race! Regardless of what the official time says, you know you ran a great time today but I understand your frustrations.
    Well done MA!!!

Cheers guys, yeah I'm delighted that the injury stayed quiet enough. I'm going to stick to easy runs for a couple of weeks now and hopefully it will clear up. Then I might try get a parkrun in before the end of the year and see if I can get an official sub-24. I know I'm capable of it after today!

Drinking out of my JB mug now and satisfied that the only interaction I need to have with that weather now is to look out the window and be glad I'm not out in it!

It's a shame we didn't know who to look out for TM, we could have congratulated eachother in person. :D

• Advertisement

Yeah we should have arranged to say hello, next time. Were you running with a female ? There was a guy to my left that moved across to the right hand verge just after the start . I heard him telling someone else to go with him .

I'm still out so I'm on my phone , I will post my own report when I get home.

It wasn't me who shouted but it might have been a friend of mine. Four or five of us hopped up on the verge and ran in a line for a bit, at least two women.

Looking forward to your report!

Well done! We did say you might surprise yourself ;)

Singer wrote: »
    Well done! We did say you might surprise yourself ;)

Hah, well you were certainly right! I remember around this time last year when I last tried and failed to get committed to running, I genuinely thought I'd never be able to go under 25. Now I'm wondering how close I can get to 20 by next Christmas. ;)

Well done all, I am delighted for you!

The two lads who were doing it with me pulled out over the weather so I decided I wouldn't go up on my own. I was gutted I didn't do it so decided to go for a run that day at home even if the weather was a bit crazy.
    My intent was to sign myself up for it to keep myself motivated right up to the run and not quit 2 weeks into training like I did last year so I am pleased that I have kept it up consistently over the last 8 weeks and I intend on finding a run somewhere around Limerick for Christmas as I will be down there for the festive period.

I am not quite ready to go under 25 mins yet, my best so far is just under 25m55s but considering I couldn't run a 1km without having to stop 8 weeks ago, I am very happy with my progress.

That was a great time Maximus, I am very pleased for you, keep up the good work :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement