Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Stop Eating Chocolate

Options
  • 30-09-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Ever since I can remember (since I was at least four or five), I'd had chocolate every day. I had two or three bars daily from when I was five onwards until I was about 14. Then it went down to two a day, and for a few months even down to one a day. Then when I was 17 I started gaining weight, and the stress of gaining weight made me go back to two (makes no sense having more, I know).

Now I feel unsatisfied if I only have one bar a day. I've tried to go without, but then I end up totally binging after a few days. I'm also in a mood when I do go without. I know that it should be as simple as giving it up, but I haven't been able to. I'm 20 now and get really stressed when I'm having chocolate sometimes because I think of how I'll probably die young from my arteries being clogged. That only makes me feel worse, leading me to eat more.

I've tried substituting chocolate with fruit, or having a piece of fruit before having chocolate to try fill myself up or try to make me forget about having chocolate, but it doesn't help. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It takes will power. When it matters more to you to not eat it than if does to eat it, you'll find it easier.

Dark chocolate is a good way of cutting down. 75+% cocoa. You would find it hard to overdo that. Leave or in the freezer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

It takes will power. When it matters more to you to not eat it than if does to eat it, you'll find it easier.

Dark chocolate is a good way of cutting down. 75+% cocoa. You would find it hard to overdo that. Leave or in the freezer as well.

I've cut out almost everything unhealthy from my diet in the past two years (besides a takeaway every fortnight or so). I'm just not able to make myself not eat chocolate. I've tried dark chocolate and almost got sick. I thought it was horrible, so that's out. Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've cut out almost everything unhealthy from my diet in the past two years (besides a takeaway every fortnight or so). I'm just not able to make myself not eat chocolate. I've tried dark chocolate and almost got sick. I thought it was horrible, so that's out. Thanks though!

Of course you can stop. You just haven't.

If I could quit smoking after 25 years, you can quit chocolate! On the other hand, if everything else has improved, why would you? There's nothing wrong with daily chocolate, although weekly would make it a treat rather than a habit...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There aren't too many substitutes that will be as nice so it is a case of just cutting it out. Yeah, it will be hard initially bu if eating so much of it is stressing you out and affecting your health you are going to have to decide which means more to you: chocolate or your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Start tracking everything you eat through a calorie tracking website, e.g. FitDay. And set yourself a daily budget according to your current height, weight and lifestyle.

If you have a craving, record it in your daily budget in advance - e.g. if you decide you're going to have a chocolate bar, before you open it, go onto the website and update your calories, and have a good look at just how many calories you're using up by having a chocolate bar instead of something more filling and with a fraction of the calories. And then decide whether it's really worth it!

Even if you just do this for a couple of days, it could help an awful lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

It actually is as simple as "don't eat it". It takes willpower.

Are you hungry when you eat it? Maybe you need to eat bigger meals if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

LOL! it's not chocolate that's your problem. anything less than quality dark choc isn't chocolate really. it's a concoction of cheap hydrogenated vegetable oils and sugar or it's substitutes flavored by a dash of cocoa powder... and you call it chocolate, yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

j@utis wrote: »
    LOL! it's not chocolate that's your problem. anything less than quality dark choc isn't chocolate really. it's a concoction of cheap hydrogenated vegetable oils and sugar or it's substitutes flavored by a dash of cocoa powder... and you call it chocolate, yikes!

Cheeky, but true....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Why do you want to give it up? Or better said, do you even really want to give it up? And I don't ask to be smart - I think it takes more than willpower to change habits. You need to look at what eating chocolate does for you, what feelings it brings up, what purpose it serves you and see can you get that from something else. Feeling like you have to give something up often makes you crave it even more and will backfire. You need to really look at what's going on here for you because I reckon it's about more than a bar of chocolate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

You can stop you just haven't. You won't find an alternative that you like as much as chocolate.

If weight isn't an issue and the rest of your diet is as good as you say it is you're probably a lot better off than the vast majority of people out there. It's your decision after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I always find that if I fall off the wagon and start eating any kind of milk chocolate for a couple days (lets just say a bar or half a bar maybe once a day) I find that the high sugar in the chocolate becomes extremely addictive (obviously :P) and I get seriously bad cravings and just have to eat some every day and I feel like I can't stop. It's a struggle to stop myself but within a few days of just completely ignoring the craving it's gone. If I do want chocolate I eat dark (85%) or if I really, really want milk chocolate I'll eat one chocolate biscuit or two but leave it at that.

The minute you go over a certain threshold, that's it and you start the cycle all over again. Like other posters here have said, you lack willpower, you don't need chocolate your body has just become accustomed to getting it and now craves it.

Give yourself a week with no chocolate and that craving will go away (also don't replace it with other sugary snacks replace it with something healthy). It may not be easy, but it will work. You've just got to keep focused. Nothing in life is easy, but most bad things are merely habit and you can overcome it if you really want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Chromium Picolinate may help you quit because it regulates blood sugars and therefore staves off the cravings.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Idunnowho

The problem with higher glycemic foods and sugar is the spike and 'crash' some 90-120 minutes later. Once blood sugars drop below the initial baseline we get lethargic, hungry and have the craving to be satiated with sweet stuff and so the cycle continues.

Try incorporate more good fats (e.g. Avocado, coconut oil) and protein into meals, particularly breakfast and snack on nuts, seeds and a few goji berries.

There is a new chocolate on the market that has certified health benefits - it's 45% cocoa but is also high in fibre and high in vitamin e, made with low glycemic 'sugar' so it does not raise blood sugar levels - this is a better option to satisfy any craving without falling off a particular nutrition plan...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was instructed to give up chocolate at about age 20 (along with caffeine). I was eating enormous amounts of it (5 bars a day at least) and this was to kick the addiction. I didnt eat it at all for 3 months. Now, I do eat chocolate but have to be cautious, its very easy to go overboard on it.

As mentioned, if you stop eating it, the cravings will be intense for around two weeks, and then fade. You need to stick that bit out. Once you get past that point, you wont really miss it. But eating ANY chocolate will put you back to square one again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I used to love chocolate. Massively addicted to it. Ate two or three bars a day and more a the weekend.

I've started a Low Carb High Fat diet (LCHF) diet approx 2 weeks ago. I have not wanted or craved chocolate once.

The (high) fat I am eating is satisfying me so completely I simply do not need chocolate.

Have a google of LCHF, I think it will change the world. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ps. What kind of parent was giving/allowing you 2/3 bars of chocolate a day aged 5-14????????? :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As some people said already. Going Cold Turkey is just the best way to deal the issue. Its hard in the first few days/weeks. You will still be thinking of it and even dreaming about it :pac: , but you will get to the point where you will just not need it.

amdublin wrote: »
    I used to love chocolate. Massively addicted to it. Ate two or three bars a day and more a the weekend.

I've started a Low Carb High Fat diet (LCHF) diet approx 2 weeks ago. I have not wanted or craved chocolate once.

The (high) fat I am eating is satisfying me so completely I simply do not need chocolate.

Have a google of LCHF, I think it will change the world. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

I recently went back on LCHF (well more high protein, high fat and low carb - except on training days) and where I would have had huge chocolate cravings in the past I don't now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Fourteen years ago I knew somebody like you OP, he was a diploma year student in college.
    Tony (not his real name ) was given medical advice to stay off chocolate.
    However, he dealt with his chocolate craving by .......well just giving in. I challenged him twice but he said that it was a bad time stressful time etc.

So, I would seriously consider cold turkey, echoing the other poster on this thread.

I cut off contacts with Tony after the college year ended and blocked his email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

When you say you have a bar each day...could you not just make it a small bar, like a purple snack etc. If its so hard to give up just have a little bit of what you fancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I was similiar to you in that I would often crave it, and eat more than one bar at a sitting. Them cheap big bars of fruit and nut or white chocolate in Lidl or Aldi and a cup of tea!! but about 10 weeks ago decided to give it up and see how it worked out, and so far so good. I went T total, no chocolate, sweets, cake biscuits, crisps etc. All I have had in that time is two small desserts at meals I attended. As the time goes on, after a week or two you will feel a guilt if you go to eat it, I challenged myself to see how far I could go, and now if I am tempted, I refuse as I dont want to give in after going this far. Instead of it I now eat some fruit, or nuts, or even drink a diet fizzy drink - not ideal but I havent eaten any of those foods since, even after been given chocolate as a present etc its still sitting there looking at me. If I got to christmas and then eat some small pieces I would be happy. I was advised that Chromium supplements can help with cravings, however I havent needed them. I know this isn't about me, but if I can do it, I am sure you can. Take small steps, have fruit in the house, even sweet fruit (nectarines for the summer) or even some juice or diet or zero fizzy drinks (others may say this is a big no no). Also what also showed me was seeing what effort is required to burn off say the calories in a mars bar. It could take 30 minutes on a treadmill or bike or more to burn it off. I play some sports and instead of having a bar of chocolate with mejust incase, I will have a banana or two with me. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 arold10

Overcoming a chocolate addiction that you've had since you were just a child will not be easy, although not impossible. I sincerely think that it will literally take enormous will power to stay away from chocolate. I'd suggest you to stop buying them in the first place; in other words, stop having them in your home. Keep in mind, the state of your health is very important and you don't want to keep indulging into something that you know can potentially put you at great risk of developing diseases that can detrimentally affect you.
    Oryx wrote: »
    As mentioned, if you stop eating it, the cravings will be intense for around two weeks, and then fade.

That's pretty much how craving works by nature you stop succumbing to it and it starts building up and up until it fades. But, the key to overcome it is to starve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No matter which way op will decide to go: drop it completely or phase it out with taking less each day or taking chocolates every second day and dropping it out little by little and making it a treat.

In the end of the day, op can get any advice here, but it will be useless if Op does not have willpower and determination to do it.

No matter which way op will decide to go: drop it completely or phase it out with taking less each day or taking chocolates every second day and dropping it out little by little and making it a treat.

In the end of the day, op can get any advice here, but it will be useless if Op does not have willpower and determination to do it.

LCHF! No cravings whatsoever!!!!!! It is crazy.

If you don't buy it you can't eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I'd like to add my voice as someone who struggles with Chocolate.

As another poster said, if you can manage 2 weeks without it, you'll be flying.

I would have been similar to you and ate chocolate everyday since I was about 11 or so. Definitely every day from 13. Then at 24, i knew I had to stop.

It was at 24 that i decided to lose a lot of weight (45pounds).

I'm 130lbs now and a very healthy weight but damn that chocolate makes it hard sometimes!

What I did in the very beginning was to eat marshmallows or any other sweets that didn't have chocolate or chocolate flavour. I didn't restrict myself at all and I could eat as much as I wanted. I found after 2 weeks that my sweet cravings in general reduced. I definitely didn't need chocolate.

I've fallen off the wagon many times but the important thing is to get back on immediately. Don't feel guilty. Just wake up the next morning and pretend it didn't happen and continue on without chocolate.

It's 110% about willpower. You have to want to give it up. The fact that you haven't been able to means that don't really want to. Even if you don't want to admit that to yourself.

Advertisement