Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Ok so the general concensus is 6 months. Thanks for all the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I started my formula fed little boy on solids at 4 months on gp and phn advice as he had reflux and wasn't putting on weight at all. I felt awful for doing it and still regret it a little but as soon as he started, he began thriving.

I waited until 6 months with my breastfed little girl and was so glad I did. She was able to manage normal food (non pureed) from the beginning and just worked away at her own pace feeding herself with her hands. So much easier. It is tempting to start them earlier, in my case I had my mother and a few others asking at every turn when I was going to start her on the purees :rolleyes: But I just laughed them all off and waited until my little girl was ready (which was when she was exactly 6 months old and decided to steal a chicken drumstick off my plate at a party :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Both of mine showed the typical signs of readiness is watching you when eating, grabbing, drooling etc but I waited until 6 months and both of them weren't bothered with solids until 7-8 months. I reakly would hold out to minimum 5 months and then just see how you go. At 5-5.5 months perhaps a little taste of food like sucking on a pear you're holding won't do them any harm but try to stretch out the full weaning until as close to 6 months as you can.

Those are not actually signs of readiness for solids at all - the signs that they are truly ready for solids are that they can sit well without support (so as to prevent choking) and that they have lost the tongue thrust reflex.

I also don't actually understand the rush to start solids. It actually is hard work. Life is so much easier when you are just breastfeeding. Plus the whole solid food nappies should be enough to put anyone off attempting solids early!!! :pac:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Please do not start any sort of solid food before 6 months. Babies do not need any solids until then - all they need is milk. Neyite - a lot of health professionals are giving out-dated advice. The HSE, NHS, WHO, etc all recommend milk only for first 6 months. I find it hard to believe that they could realistically justify a baby as young as 4 months starting solids in this day unless they were going with out-dated advice. Babies guts just are not fully mature yet to be able to handle solids and if started early, can reduce the amount of milk consumed which is not what you want.

You've just proved my point, really.

Unless you are a Paediatric consultant and have physically examined my friends baby yourself, then why do you feel that you know more than the qualified ones who dealt with the baby's digestive conditions on a weekly, sometimes daily basis? It was a final resort for the team to suggest, after 4 months of pain and discomfort for that child.

You are doing exactly what my friend experienced on her FB group - dismissive of healthcare professionals, dismissive of valid medical reasons and being hugely critical of mothers that have reason to introduce food slightly earlier, because, guidelines.

Some of us have pretty good PHN's as well. My own GP has a speciality in paediatric care. I trust that he knows a damn sight more about my child's development and welfare than the WHO does, having examined him since birth. I also read up on best practice, and made a decision based on all of those, as it seems Cunning has also done. And if she decides to introduce solids a little earlier than six months, that is her decision and she deserves not to be talked down to by another parent who decides to do things their own way either.

• Advertisement

The problem is Neyite that a lot of health professionals ARE giving out dated advice. Your friend had to do what she was advised and perhaps that was the best advice given her situation.

But I've heard of far too many stories about mothers being told to wean early for no apparent reason other than it was what was done in the past. You are lucky in that you have a decent PHN but plenty more are hopeless and give out dated advice. I'm not being critical of mothers at all - I'm not sure why you think that? I'm critical of some health professionals not being up to date on the latest research. Parents can only do their best and what they are advised by their GP, etc. I'm not being critical of parents at all.

And yes it is Cunning's decision but it is also important for Cunning to know about WHO, HSE, NHS guidelines also as they are not just there for no reason... They are there because of scientific research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

In that case, our previous PHN was definitely giving outdated advice, and that was not even 2 years ago. Our son was formula fed from 2/3 weeks old and she told us at 4 months to start him on baby rice. Him being our first, we believed she was the expert, but I remember trying to get him to take some baby rice and he just cried and spluttered - a bit traumatic for him really - so we left it for a few more weeks and then he was ok with it. Thats why I was hesitant to go the same route with our daughter now. But going from the majority of responses here we will just wait until she is older. Thx again

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Go with your gut Cunning, I think often us mums don't trust our instincts half as often as we should. Your baby, you know her best. :)

And yes, the rice at 4 months standard that some of them trot out was outdated a good decade or more. Could be worse though, my MIL was putting rice in a bottle at 6 weeks back in her day on the advice of her midwife. :pac:

Does anyone here watch Call the Midwife? Apparently it's portrayal of that era is very authentic. Seeing the tea in a baby's bottle and heavily pregnant women puffing away in front of a doctor who was also puffing merrily away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Those are not actually signs of readiness for solids at all - the signs that they are truly ready for solids are that they can sit well without support (so as to prevent choking) and that they have lost the tongue thrust reflex.

Yes I know that. I meant the typical signs as they are the ones your mother, auntie, phn etc will tell you are sure signs the baby is half starved and needs solid food
    I had a great phn on my son until it came to weaning and I have to say I was very disappointed with her advice. I left it until 6 months and then she said I HAD to start a 6.5 month old on 1 spoon of puréed Apple working up to 3 spoons then switch to a stewed carrot for a week etc etc.
    I know there are times that babies need to be weaned early such as reflux but if there's no medical need then I don't see the big rush. It just makes more work for us. I tried puréeing and found it such a pain in the ar5e that I stopped after a couple of days and moved to finger foods and fork mashing our own dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I also don't actually understand the rush to start solids. It actually is hard work. Life is so much easier when you are just breastfeeding. Plus the whole solid food nappies should be enough to put anyone off attempting solids early!!! :pac:

Me neither, and there is research ongoing regarding the increase in allergies/intolerances being attributed to the fact that some foods are being introduced too early and not within certain specified windows. If you look at the fact that internal stores of some vitamins/minerals run out by 6 months, it seems obvious that this is the time to start on a varied diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Neyite wrote: »

Does anyone here watch Call the Midwife? Apparently it's portrayal of that era is very authentic. Seeing the tea in a baby's bottle and heavily pregnant women puffing away in front of a doctor who was also puffing merrily away.

I have recently discovered call the midwife, and I love it! I was watching an episode today where the dr went to see an old homeless lady, diagnosed her with angina, and then gave her fish and chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I cry every time it's on! There was a Christmas special last year set in a home for unmarried mothers. Weepy doesn't begin to describe it. The formula storyline in a recent episode was also very interesting.

I have recently discovered call the midwife, and I love it! I was watching an episode today where the dr went to see an old homeless lady, diagnosed her with angina, and then gave her fish and chips!

jlm29 wrote: »
    lazygal wrote: »
    I cry every time it's on! There was a Christmas special last year set in a home for unmarried mothers. Weepy doesn't begin to describe it. The formula storyline in a recent episode was also very interesting.

I missed the start of some of the episodes in the current series on BBC so have to track them down, otherwise I'll have to wait for Netflix and that's too long. I got my mum hooked on it - big nostalgic trip for her as that era was her childhood. Another forum I'm on has a fair few older women who would have been training in nursing in the 60's and they reckon its very realistic and true to life as it was then. They don't shy away from the controversial either, which I like. And I watch it with a bunch of tissues as well!

I missed the start of some of the episodes in the current series on BBC so have to track them down, otherwise I'll have to wait for Netflix and that's too long. I got my mum hooked on it - big nostalgic trip for her as that era was her childhood. Another forum I'm on has a fair few older women who would have been training in nursing in the 60's and they reckon its very realistic and true to life as it was then. They don't shy away from the controversial either, which I like. And I watch it with a bunch of tissues as well!

The box set of the current series is being released in March! its very annoying that you can't watch the bbc player here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Hi all I just have a question in regards to bf if that's ok and if any of you can answer. I plan on breast feeding please God and all going well. If it's not working and the baby won't feed, do you need to bring formula and bottles into the maternity ward with you in case you need to bottle feed the baby? I haven't been told I do or heard of it but I'm just wondering if it was a complete nightmare and a non starter, do the hospital feed the baby formula or is it up to you to provide all of that? Honestly hope it doesn't come to that but you never know! Thanks if anyone can shed any light. B

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

For me breastfeeding took a while to become established and we hadn't bought any bottles, formula, etc. as we'd assumed it would just work straight away.

The hospital had pre-made bottles of formula with disposable teats.

I did find that they were slightly reluctant to give them to me. Perhaps they were concerned that I would give up breastfeeding.

Anyways, it is there, you just need to ask.

Electric wrote: »
    For me breastfeeding took a while to become established and we hadn't bought any bottles, formula, etc. as we'd assumed it would just work straight away.

The hospital had pre-made bottles of formula with disposable teats.

I did find that they were slightly reluctant to give them to me. Perhaps they were concerned that I would give up breastfeeding.

Anyways, it is there, you just need to ask.

Thanks a million. Yeah I want to try my best but wasn't sure if they would just want to get baby fed something if they won't latch or it isn't working and then they'd give out to me for not having anything with me! Tks again

Yep, hospital provides formula /bottles etc.

In our local one it was these kind. Pre sterilised etc. Literally all you do is screw on the disposable teat.

I found the opposite to Electric. They came around offering and I declined, saying I was trying breastfeeding, and she left me 4 'just in case'. I ended up bringing them home with me just in case too. After 3 months I was happy enough for others to give the baby the odd one if I happened to be away at feeding time but by that stage breastfeeding had become established and I usually had some of my own milk in the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

Babooshka wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Yeah I want to try my best but wasn't sure if they would just want to get baby fed something if they won't latch or it isn't working and then they'd give out to me for not having anything with me! Tks again

Just to add that the hospitals will have all the different brands of formula, SMA, Cow & Gate , Aptamil etc.

It can be a bit overwhelming trying to decide off the top of your head which to try if you need it.

• Advertisement

Ninjini wrote: »
    Just to add that the hospitals will have all the different brands of formula, SMA, Cow & Gate , Aptamil etc.

It can be a bit overwhelming trying to decide off the top of your head which to try if you need it.

Thanks all of you. I know I can imagine how daunting it's all going to be :eek:, I just hope baby latches and eats and all is well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

I found the opposite to Electric. They came around offering and I declined, saying I was trying breastfeeding, and she left me 4 'just in case'. I ended up bringing them home with me just in case too. After 3 months I was happy enough for others to give the baby the odd one if I happened to be away at feeding time but by that stage breastfeeding had become established and I usually had some of my own milk in the freezer.

Our issue was down to tongue tie, which made things a bit difficult at the start. We ended up doing combination feeds in the hospital and then pumping extra bottles once we got home.

Once the tie was snipped there were no problems at all.

Try not to worry about it too much at this stage. I know there is lots to get your head around, but the hospital (and you!) won't let the baby go hungry.

Even though it took a while to get going for me, the midwives were very helpful and encouraging of breastfeeding.

I was worried that he wasn't getting enough, especially as he wasn't latching on great, so that's where the bottles came in. But as I said that was down to tongue tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Bear in mind that babies tummies are absolutely tiny in the first days, 5ml is enough to fill it early on, and breastmilk takes days to come in so don't get disheartened if you think there should be loads of milk being produced or taken in by baby in the first few days! Baby will suckle a lot to tell your body to make milk, colostrum is plenty for them before it comes in and giving formula if not needed will stop this production happening. So tbh I wouldn't think you'd know as early as when you're still in hospital if bf is going to work out or not so wouldn't need formula then, but it is available from midwives...sometimes too readily before bf has been given a chance to establish.

You should check out your local bf groups and visit beforehand to have loads of info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

As spottybannans said baby's tummy is size of 5 cent coin it's tiny.Formula was ready available when i had my baby 5 months ago.There really wasn't any support for breastfeeding in one of the most famous hospitals in Dublin.I was handed a peice of paper and told to give it a read and if breastfeeding wasn't for me sure there's always formula.Midwives are so under pressure that they can't give you any time and support which is needed that's why I think alot of women opt for formula.Breastfeeding is certainly not the easy option but please stick with it and you will reap the rewards.I threatening to give up so may times but knew I just had to do as I had horrible birth and felt like I'd let my baby down.Stick with it.

I did a breastfeeding preparation workshop about a month before I had my first (in cork) and I would honestly say it was one of the best things I did. I was so ready- knew about breastfeeding behaviours, positions for feeding, how to know baby is getting enough etc. If you come from a family of breadtfeeders, or have friends to ask for advice, it might be unnecessary, but I had nobody to ask, so I felt I needed to arm myself with knowledge! So glad I did!

Has anyone else's little one dropped a feed at around 12 months? My little girl has gone from 4 good feeds a day to 3 good feeds and a couple of mini snacks. I don't want to fight to get it into her but she's allergic to cow's milk and I'm worried she won't get enough vitamins and minerals if she drops any more feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

Has anyone else's little one dropped a feed at around 12 months? My little girl has gone from 4 good feeds a day to 3 good feeds and a couple of mini snacks. I don't want to fight to get it into her but she's allergic to cow's milk and I'm worried she won't get enough vitamins and minerals if she drops any more feeds.

I was back working when my little one was 11 months, she refused bottles of expressed milk so only had 2 or 3 feeds most days. At this age they get most of there vitamins etc. from solids.
    try to give her healthy meals, including protein and calcium foods, and water to drink, and don't worry too much (easy said...)
    At 12 months she's probably very busy learning new skills and exploring the world, no time to stop for boob! this may vary day to day. my daughter is 2 now and some days wants lots of boob, other days only at bedtime. she doesn't drink cows milk either, doesn't like it as a drink.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I went back to work when my monkey was 11 months, he had a feed in the morning and one in the evening and had water in crèche.

He is now 21 months and we have the same routine except he gets rice milk or coconut milk in crèche. he has never had cows milk.

at this stage your little one should be getting enough from her solids

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

I will be going back to work when baby is five months and I'm wondering how many feeds baby should be getting then? It isn't for another few months away so I'm wondering how I should be preparing. Thanks.

• Advertisement

At five months my little girl was taking 6 feeds a day. Are you planning on expressing? By law your employer is obliged to provide you with time during the work day to express if your baby is under 6 months. Some companies extend this to a year but you will need to check with your hr or occupational health department to see what your employers policy is.

Advertisement