Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegetable soup

• 01-02-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I want to make a thick vegetable soup from scratch but I've never done this, any recommendations on what could go in it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The thickness will depend on how much stock/water you use in relation to the veggies you've used.

A very easy, lazy option is to buy the pack of soup veggies in Aldi (Lidl probably do the same, as would other supermarkets but I happen to use Aldi) - had carrots, leek, turnip, onion, parsley, parsnip last time - sweat the veggies, and then I added a litre of beef stock (I know, but it gives amazing flavour and depth) using Knorr stock pots, and I got about 8 portions of lovely thick soup out of it. Total cost about €2.

Potato and cauliflower (frozen or fresh, doesn't matter) can also be used to thicken soups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lentils are good for thickening as well.

But as said, it depends on how much liquid you add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Would you blend the soup or leave chunky?

sebcity wrote: »
    Would you blend the soup or leave chunky?
    Personally I blend it all, and if I'm feeling particularly greedy stir a spoon of cream into it before serving.

Down to your taste if you leave chunky bits in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Depends what's in it and what it's like when it's ready. Sometimes it doesn't need anything done to it, sometimes a quick blitz and sometimes a bit of a longer blend.

Nice to have a bit of veg chunk in there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This is a real stick-to-your ribs soup which I make often. I'm not vegan so I use homemade chicken stock instead of the vegetable broth and I throw in the rind off a parmesan cheese if I have one in the freezer as it thickens up the whole soup instead of just grating a little bit on top.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/02/kale-quinoa-minestrone-vegan-gluten-free/

Dial Hard wrote: »
    This is a real stick-to-your ribs soup which I make often. I'm not vegan so I use homemade chicken stock instead of the vegetable broth and I throw in the rind off a parmesan cheese if I have one in the freezer as it thickens up the whole soup instead of just grating a little bit on top.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/02/kale-quinoa-minestrone-vegan-gluten-free/

Oh I'd forgotten about the rind of parmesan trick - it's brilliant! (also never thought of freezing the rinds before they go mouldy.... thanks for that tip!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh I'd forgotten about the rind of parmesan trick - it's brilliant! (also never thought of freezing the rinds before they go mouldy.... thanks for that tip!)

Yup, just wrap in cling film and bung in the freezer til you need them. They keep for months like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I usually mash up some of the spud and that makes it fairly thick and reduce the water amount. Chicken stockk to add to the mix. Can't stand blitzing anything, prefer to eat the veg naturally.

Advertisement