Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

I'm interested in buying a Vauxhall Vectra, 2008 cdti.
    It has 58k miles on the clock.
    He said he is putting a new timing belt on it, and a new switch for the windows (they work, but lot of pressure needed to get them working).
    There is a little rust on nuts in the engine, should that be a concern?

Dealer won't budge on 7200 euro.

Is this alright? Its the standard 120bhp model.

First time buyer, sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It's not horrible money if the mileage is genuine. As it's an import it would be well worth getting a history check with motorcheck or cartell just for peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

58k miles is very low mileage for a 6 year old diesel car especially an imported Vauxhall Vectra. They are very popular as fleet company cars in the UK so make sure it has a full verified service history i.e. ring the garages in the UK that serviced it and verify what they did. Also do a car history check and don't just accept a stamped service book as evidence of servicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Hey Folks,
    Changing my car in the coming days ....I have a few concerns/queries about it ...I'm going to do the Cartell check. My question is , how long does it take to get the info back from them, once u input the car reg number ?
    Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Would expect a reply within 15 minutes, really depends on volume of information you require, 30 minutes tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

That's great ....just gotta hope I get good news now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I'm planning on buying a car in the next couple of weeks, sooner rather than later hopefully. I'm looking at a 131 Seat Leon and I have a few questions:

Would I have to buy from a dealership nearby to where I live for servicing or could I use any seat main dealer for servicing? I was thinking that a dealership would refuse to service it if I didn't buy it there.

Also, a bit of a simple question but I'll find it hard to get into a bank for the next few weeks to take out the deposit for the car so I was wondering do dealerships typically mind you doing a electronic transfer into their account?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I'm planning on buying a car in the next couple of weeks, sooner rather than later hopefully. I'm looking at a 131 Seat Leon and I have a few questions:

Would I have to buy from a dealership nearby to where I live for servicing or could I use any seat main dealer for servicing? I was thinking that a dealership would refuse to service it if I didn't buy it there.

Also, a bit of a simple question but I'll find it hard to get into a bank for the next few weeks to take out the deposit for the car so I was wondering do dealerships typically mind you doing a electronic transfer into their account?

i've never heard of a dealership that refuses repair/service just because you didnt buy a car there. you're paying for the service after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

murfilein wrote: »
    i've never heard of a dealership that refuses repair/service just because you didnt buy a car there. you're paying for the service after all.

Excellent, I was hoping that would be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Wheelinone

They will not refuse your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Car shopping at the moment.
    Does anyone have any opinions on the Peugeot 207? Is it true their parts are expensive?
    Currently have my eye on this one http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-307-xt-1-4-16v-5door-nct-03-15/6408563

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think its just the amount of them you might need rather than the price.

wayne0308 wrote: »

If you're talking about warranty, it's valid in every Seat dealer.
    Dutchess wrote: »
    Car shopping at the moment.
    Does anyone have any opinions on the Peugeot 207? Is it true their parts are expensive?
    Currently have my eye on this one http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-307-xt-1-4-16v-5door-nct-03-15/6408563

I'm currently trying to flog a 07 307 for a neighbour of mine, not a massive amount more than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

any tips for haggling with a dealer?

Mc Love wrote: »

Know what the car is actually worth. Be respectful. Be realistic.

Mc Love wrote: »

New or used?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Know what the car is actually worth. Be respectful. Be realistic.

Yeah the one I am looking at is pretty good value so I am not expecting much if anything at all to be discounted
    New or used?

Used

Presume you're trading in?

Presume you're trading in?

No - private sale. Looking to purchase a car in the UK even if the ex rate is poor enough at the moment and no sign of it improving

Missed out on the car - to say I'm a tad disappointed is an understatement. My own fault for leaving it too long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

There's always another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nobby101

Help Needed !!!!
    Just found this thread and after putting a small deposit on an audi A6 today, I am now feeling very nervous.
    I got a copy of the cartell check and it seems ok other than the registration documents are listed as not provided - what does this mean??
    The website is listed as 65000 miles however the cartell report and the miles on the car itself match at 68000
    I know nothing about cars and just know the size car I need and that it needs to be an automatic

Any advice on the car, the link is below

http://www.motormania.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1028625&r=

Registration details not provided means you didn't provide something they asked you for, lol.

With any car you buy its important do do a little bit of background on the garage, a quick google search or even a search of boards.ie or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but didn't want to start a thread.
    I am looking for a golf 1.9 tdi and found one on done deal but the price just seems to be a bit much for a 98. He is looking for 1800. Is it just me or is that the price they are going for anyway?
    Here's the link to the ad.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-tdi-for-swap/6476225

Red flag 1
    "not to pushed on geting rid of it just seeing what i get offered "

Red flag 2
    "has a genuine cupra R splitter and just got back windows tinted and a visor 2 weeks ago with a 5 year guarantee on them , just put HID's in the ar about 3 weeks ago"

Red flag 3
    "car is mint washed and waxed 2-3 times a week"

Kinda doesn't make you take the seller that seriously.

Price is dropped to €1 now though. Which is more reasonable.

Depends on the car really, if it's very very clean it will make north of a grand.

That said, if you increase your budget by another grand you should be able to move up the years considerably.

Depends on the car really, if it's very very clean it will make north of a grand.

That said, if you increase your budget by another grand you should be able to move up the years considerably.
    Been trying to get more saved up but I am only a student so dont have much of an income :( I cant seem to understand the golfs, they really just seem to be priced as the seller wants.

Red flag 1
    "not to pushed on geting rid of it just seeing what i get offered "

Red flag 2
    "has a genuine cupra R splitter and just got back windows tinted and a visor 2 weeks ago with a 5 year guarantee on them , just put HID's in the ar about 3 weeks ago"

Red flag 3
    "car is mint washed and waxed 2-3 times a week"

Kinda doesn't make you take the seller that seriously.

Price is dropped to €1 now though. Which is more reasonable.

I really don't get why people say that when they put an ad up, stupidity probably. As for the Red Flag 2 i don't see what the problems are there apart from the HIDs, Ill have to take them off :)
    The Red Flag 3 I wouldnt really call that a problem but I do know it is complete bull.

• Advertisement

I really don't get why people say that when they put an ad up, stupidity probably. As for the Red Flag 2 i don't see what the problems are there apart from the HIDs, Ill have to take them off :)
    The Red Flag 3 I wouldnt really call that a problem but I do know it is complete bull.

If you were actually selling your car in a few weeks, would you first sink a load of money into modifications?

If you were actually selling your car in a few weeks, would you first sink a load of money into modifications?
    Well now I kind of feel idiotic :( I didn't even think of that. Thank god I posted on here +1 for you anyway. Need to be more careful in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Not sure if this is right place to post but said I'd take my chance.

Have seen a 2008 Laguna for sale that looks quite nice. It's NCT up to Feb 2016. Dealer sale (official Renault dealer), one previous owner from that garage. The only 2 slight issues are the chrome effect coming off door handles (apparently happens on all these cars) & a slight tear on drivers seat. Apart from that the interior is spotless. I drove it & it seemed nice to drive & got someone who knows cars to test it (& they put it through its paces) & they were happy.

It's got air-con & dual climate control. It's 16v Dynamique model

Now it's got 97,000 miles on the clock & is 1.6 petrol. It's priced up at 5,500 & dealer is willing to come down to 4,900 (saying price due to fact that they changed to 1.5 diesel mid 2008 which would cost a lot more) Dealer is giving 6 month parts & labour warranty

Now looking on done deal it seems a very cheap price for a 2008 Laguna.

Could I be missing something here or is it just a very good deal?

If it is the older Laguna II which has a very poor reputation for reliability, being 1.6 petrol with above average mileage and 2008 when everyone wants cheap tax diesels then the price is about right as it is not a very desirable car.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If it is the older Laguna II which has a very poor reputation for reliability, being 1.6 petrol with above average mileage and 2008 when everyone wants cheap tax diesels then the price is about right as it is not a very desirable car.

Thank you. What sort of reliability issues do these cars have?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Thank you. What sort of reliability issues do these cars have?

Mostly problems with the electrics, they made improvements to them from 2005 but personally I still wouldn't take a chance on one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Hi,

Great thread, I'm looking at this http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-one-2002-49k-miles/6428219 mini. I've never bought a car privately before so doing some homework. If any mini owners have any thoughts on the car I'd appreciate any pearls of wisdom. I've emailed the owner and asked all the usual questions, he's answered them all and given me the number for the garage in Dublin where he gets it serviced, suggesting I chat to someone there about the condition of the car. I'm mildly suspicious as it seems a good price for the low mileage, also he's putting the pressure on saying there's other people coming to look at it tomorrow etc.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Mostly problems with the electrics, they made improvements to them from 2005 but personally I still wouldn't take a chance on one myself.

Thanks for that. I assume a 2006 Megane Sport 16v 1.4 would have had similar issues?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I assume a 2006 Megane Sport 16v 1.4 would have had similar issues?

Yes. Renaults of that vintage do not have a great track record when it comes to electrics. Clio seems to be the exception.

hats199 wrote: »
    Hi,

Great thread, I'm looking at this http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-one-2002-49k-miles/6428219 mini. I've never bought a car privately before so doing some homework. If any mini owners have any thoughts on the car I'd appreciate any pearls of wisdom. I've emailed the owner and asked all the usual questions, he's answered them all and given me the number for the garage in Dublin where he gets it serviced, suggesting I chat to someone there about the condition of the car. I'm mildly suspicious as it seems a good price for the low mileage, also he's putting the pressure on saying there's other people coming to look at it tomorrow etc.

There were power steering issues with the early Minis and apparently it's an expensive fix... Could be worth googling/asking the question.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-cooper-chilli-pack/6506803

Plus that's a way nicer car for the money, from the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Thanks LimerickMan, I'll check out some of the mini forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Hi everybody,

Some of you might have the knowledge or opinions to hand to help me out.

My wife and I have come to a realisation that we need a second car, and need one fairly soon - i.e. next 4 weeks or so. As we are moving half way between her work and mine so we will be splitting the commute between us to less than an hour each way for each of us.

We currently have a 2006 Audi A4 1.9 diesel with about 120000 miles on it. It hasn't given an ounce of trouble, I've kept services etc. up to date on it and i still love it as much as i did when i bought it in November 2008. My wife has grown to love it too - which is good as she is currently commuting for 4hrs a day - and has been on and off for the last 6 months.

Ordinarily i would spend months researching this type of purchase, but this is actually urgent, and i have very little spare time at the minute due to work.

Because we both love the audi so much i am reluctant to look outside of volkswagen/ audi/ skoda, maybe seat (even though i had a 2001 cordoba before and it sucked so i am still a little sour about that, i know that is not rational)

Our Budget is €11-15k -she'd prefer to keep it to the lower end of that scale - i'd push it out to the higher end - if it meant a much better car.

reliability is absolute king - neither of us have the time or inclination to be visiting garages and spending

So any opinions on what our options are?

Is there better value in the UK? Are risks higher? Any threads on that here that are relevant? I have a friend in Scotland with tons of free time and a bit of knowledge about cars who has offered to purchase and drive a car back here for me, would that be a good idea? is rust on a chassis from the salt on the roads an issue for a 3-4 yo car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

If its from the VAg stable, Skoda fabia would be a good bet. Get one in Elegance spec, so cruise, air con, electric this that and the other.

If you are very happy with the A4 then have a look at the Seat Exeo, it's basically the same car with some exterior cosmetics and up to date VAG engines:

media?xwm=y&id=6df266d8-b4af-4bb0-8ed2-9ed0c56086f0&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Exeo/2.0-TDI/37613783954520570/

I hadn't considered the fabia, I was thinking something bigger would be better for a commute, might be worth a test drive though, probably be more economical.

The expo looks good, don't see many of them about though.

eoglyn wrote: »
    I hadn't considered the fabia, I was thinking something bigger would be better for a commute, might be worth a test drive though, probably be more economical.

The expo looks good, don't see many of them about though.

Is it half an hour on the motorway or a half an hour through traffic?

Is it half an hour on the motorway or a half an hour through traffic?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, both. the commute would be between 50 minutes and an hour and 10 depending on traffic. In the longer version it would be About 30 minutes in traffic I would say, the rest is on the motorway. She hasn't done the route at the right times yet though, so just a guesstimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

this,seems to be the place to ask.
    I'm looking at getting a diesel estate as a family car. I've currently got an 07 megane royale and need something a bit bigger for 2 kids, car seats and a pram.

budget is about 8k after selling my own.

would welcome any suggestions.
    Thanks

this,seems to be the place to ask.
    I'm looking at getting a diesel estate as a family car. I've currently got an 07 megane royale and need something a bit bigger for 2 kids, car seats and a pram.

budget is about 8k after selling my own.

would welcome any suggestions.
    Thanks

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-kia-ceed-1-6-ex-diesel-sw-tax-3-14/6082331

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed/6494967

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Advertisement
Advertisement