Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutrition 101

Options

Comments

Paleo / Whole food eater here.

Just getting over a pretty criminal case of the Vomiting bug, and think its probably time to try eating again.

Any suggestions of what to go for? All the classic 'stomach settlers' like porridge, toast etc are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Just getting over a pretty criminal case of the Vomiting bug, and think its probably time to try eating again.

Any suggestions of what to go for? All the classic 'stomach settlers' like porridge, toast etc are out.

Mashed sweet potato?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

To be honest when you are sick I wouldn't be too dogmatic, have some porridge if that's what you can hold down. Other than that clear broth soups, mashed banana, white rice with a smidgin of coconut oil and soy sauce.

Oh, and soda water, lots and lots of soda water.

To be honest when you are sick I wouldn't be too dogmatic, have some porridge if that's what you can hold down. Other than that clear broth soups, mashed banana, white rice with a smidgin of coconut oil and soy sauce.

Oh, and soda water, lots and lots of soda water.

aye I wouldn't be overly anal about it either, its just I don't have oats an bread in the house!

Mashed Sweet potato can be done as we have that in.

Isn't soda water the most disgusting beverage?

I've been a day on the salt/water mix to try keep some of it down and rehydrate (failed a lot!) but am >12hours since last 'evacuation' so am hoping that I can probably eat to get some energy levels back..

Ya poor thing, it's an awful dose going around at the moment, a lot of people I know have gotten it.

Coconut water is a great electolyte filled drink, though it's probably lacking in salt. So get that from elsewhere

I remember when my IBS got really really bad around the time of doing my thesis. The only thing I could handle was rice cakes, pears and coconut water.

Became completely intolerant to almost everything else, twas horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Even if you did have them in he house I would no way stress an already upset tummy by re-introucing gluten.

I actually steered clear of solids for a fair bit longer.

Was just drinking hot water with fresh ginger in it to help with the nausea. Then at 5pm decided enough was enough and I wouldn't be able to work tomorrow without food in me, and ate a full chicken.

Has stayed down so far!

Why are you going back to work so soon? Surely you need a day to recover.

Today was recovery day. Yesterday was vom-your-guts-out day.

Gotta earn them greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭butthatsjustme

This is kinda a stupid question, but I have Hashimotos and I'm subclinical hypothyroid, I was just wondering if that's likely to have any effect on my metabolism? I don't have a weight problem, so I'm guessing no, but just curious?

(Thyroid antibodies >1000, Tsh was about six or seven six months ago)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

There's a lot more correlation than causation in that infograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eillen_ogrady

has anyone used any of the Youngsevity proctucts endorced by Joel Wallack g

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Finishing up a research paper there - basically it was an online ethnography and content analysis of TOO MANY journals from Marks daily Apple, so glad to be done. Never take on a content analysis approach again thank you very much. Drained but up to Dublin with work next wed-fri so some celebratory drinks in order a few times i reckon!

Is this available? or any articles related to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 austinedesuza

To make Good Health or good fitness we want to high vitamin food . Man's health want to high vitamin and calories food like egg , banana , beans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 austinedesuza

dublin1234 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a Dietitian (a.k.a. clinical nutritionist) just browsing through and came across this thread. Fair play to you guys for putting in the effort, its great!
    Just one point i thought i'd mention about the last comment on potassium... It's essential for maintaining fluid balance and muscle contraction, but excessive intake can result in sudden cardiac death. Salt substitutes for example "Low-Salt" (which people consider a healthy alternative to table salt) is composed of Potassium-cloride instead of sodium-cloride (table-salt) so avoid it like the plague! (just a little fact I thought people might find interesting!)
    So i just wouldnt get hung up on Potassium and its sources, or get worried that you need to increase your intake. 5+ portions fruit & veg/day and your sorted! Dont get me wrong tho, its still great to know whats in your food and why its important to eat what media etc is telling you you should... but i just wanted to make that one point about the secret of potassium! :-) xx

Many people don’t pay enough attention to getting the
    protein their muscles need to rebuild. If you don’t, you are going to get very little out of your workout, as both cardio and strength workouts require protein for building muscles. I recommend either whey or soy protein shakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Many people don’t pay enough attention to getting the
    protein their muscles need to rebuild. If you don’t, you are going to get very little out of your workout, as both cardio and strength workouts require protein for building muscles. I recommend either whey or soy protein shakes.
    Thing is, soy promotes estrogen growth in the body, which is counter-intuitive when the main premise to to increase muscle mass. I would recommend avoiding soya beans and their derivatives if possible. There are many other forms of proteins and beans that you can use :).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doug3932

Very informative post. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wiamhymeow

Hi,

I am new to boards and joined as I really want to improve my food intake to be as healthy as possible.

Dairy and I (and eggs also) are not friends as it wrecks havoc with my sinus - so I tend to avoid it altogether, with the exception of a dash of milk in my tea. I am not looking to lose weight at I am a trim size 10 already - I just really want to have more options in what to eat?

PS I have tried porridge and soya - I never feel full after it and am left seriously hungry two hours after eating.

regular brekkie is two slices of brown toast and tea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

This might be a silly question, but if there is iron and calcium both in the same food, does that effect the others absorption? For e.g. maca root.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 angela8915

Great page! We share almost the same opinion on the best nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 donnatrust

Dragan wrote: »
    Sometimes your gonna have really strong days. You'll wake up fresh, you'll eat a good breakfast, you'll dodge that chocolate snack at 11 and opt for some fruit and mixed nuts insteads. Your tuna salad for lunch will taste good. You'll see that nature gives us nicer food than man does when you have a fruit salad before the gym. Dinner will taste good and you won't even burn it when you get distracted by watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. You'll enjoy and hour or two on the couch and then you'll go to bed.

It might not even rain.

Then there's the other days. The first thing you are greeted with in the morning is a reflection that you frankly do not like. You slept through the alarm so breakfast is out the window. By 10 o clock in work your hungry but your food options are limited so it's Nestle time. Work is crap, your boss is on your back and deadlines are tight. Lunch is not worth taking about and it makes you feel a little better for a little while but that wears off like the energy from that Aero did this morning. By the time you get home your worn out and beat down, it's a takeaway and it's the couch.

And it's raining.

Now then, both of the above days WILL happen. Somedays you'll be a Superhero, somedays you'll need rescuing. So how do you stack the odds in your favour? Batman has a utility belt and a well spoken butler. Wonderwoman had a whip and sex appeal for weeks. If this were Vegas I'd be telling you how to card count. If this were the army I'd be telling you how to dig a fox hole while under fire. But it's not, it's the Diet and Nutrition Forum so I'm gonna tell you how to lessen the chances of having one of those bad days.

Now then, before you look at my sig, or where I Moderate and label me a fitness Nazi because some of the things I'm going to say below are pretty harsh you'll need to know that I used to weigh 300lbs. Physically I was a mess. These days I'm roughly 100lbs of fat lighter, 50 lbs of muscle heavier and in much better nick. My heart doesn't give me **** for walking up stairs any more, I'm healthier and happier all round. I've walked the road your on.

1) Get your head on straight.

If you’re an overweight drug addict with 8 kids, no job and no options then you have a lot to feel sorry about. If your just overweight then you kinda don't. It was only really when I realised this that my weight loss got emotionally and psychologically easier. I wasn't in debt to drug lords, I didn't have cancer…. I was just fat. I could do a little bit each day, and do it right and eventually I wouldn't be fat anymore. I literally had all the time in the world. It's amazing the kind of pressure that realisation will take off you.

2) Find a system you have faith in and give it an honest shot.

Now then, I have very strict idea's about the way people should and should not eat, but frankly this is not about that. This is about you and what YOU need to help you lose the weight. If you feel Weight Watchers will work then do that, if you feel Curves will help then do that! Here's the thing though, sometimes you gotta learn to cut your loses. If something is not working for you and you have been giving it honest effort for 4 weeks then it's time to change. It's time to find something else and give that a shot.

3) Drink water.

Pretty much the one thing that every diet system has in common is the advise to drink plenty of water. Why? Because water rocks, and not getting enough of it can slow your metabolism, mess up your sleep, screw with your heat regulation and generally make you feel like poo. Who wants that? Just keep a steady supply of water going all day and your good. Easy, right?

4) Be prepared.

Last time I checked we all went to bed with a rough idea as to what our next day is gonna be like. You have an idea of what you need to do , work and family wise, where your free time will be and what time Dog the Bounty Hunter starts on Bravo. At the very least your know you gonna get up and need to eat. That alone is enough reason to prepare for the day. Whatever meals you can prepare to bring with you, then do so. I don't accept excuses about this one, to be honest. I have sat in my gym, talking to the staff, eating cold carrots, brocolli, tuna and eggs from a tubberware dish. Why? Because it was called for at the time. Just do what you need to do, and if that includes being prepared…..then be prepared.

5) Stay basic

The best system to lose weight is the most simple. Eat 3 nice sized meals and 3 snacks a day. Eat fruit, veg, lean meats and healthy fats from good quality oils. Be active, walk, run, swim, play sport. Enjoy yourself. Get enough sleep and relax.

6) A friend in need…..

Sometimes it's good to have a buddy, someone you need to meet at the gym, or can walk with, or someone in work who has the same goals and you can offer each other support. Not everyone is gonna understand your desire to change your body, people will try and tempt you with drinks and dinners and Malteasers. Just say no. There will be more than enough room for that in a few weeks time when your down a few pounds.

7) Take pictures

It's hard to keep track of changes to your body, but a picture taken every 4 weeks under the same circumstances cannot lie. You'll get an honest evaluation of the changes that are happening, and how fast and where. No ones gonna see the picture, and if you can't be honest and brave with yourself then your ****ed from the get go.

8) Work hard….

And be honest! Hardwork in the gym or on the field or while your running is normally uncomfortable. It's about pushing yourself because you have a goal. I've bled, puked and passed out in the gym. I'm not asking you to do that, I'm just asking you to put in some honest effort and have a bit of faith that you won't break!#

That’s about it, nothing to specific, just general advice you can apply no matter what you are doing.

Have Faith,
    Dragan

I love you, you are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Loved reading through al the comments, a great read, very informative,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Porridge- is there any difference between the brands (ignoring oat size/jumbo)?

Are reason to buy a branded one over Lidl/Aldi?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

dinneenp wrote: »
    Porridge- is there any difference between the brands (ignoring oat size/jumbo)?

Are reason to buy a branded one over Lidl/Aldi?

Thanks,
    Pa.

i have Kavanaghs from Aldi and Flahvans here and they are both very similar in nutrition but Kavanaghs does have slightly more protein at 4.8g per serving over 4.5g with flahvans

big price difference between the two brands Kavanaghs is only 99 cent for 1.5kg

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Angelle123

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Angelle123

How to Lose Weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Angelle123 wrote: »
    How to Lose Weight?

eat less calories than you burn everyday

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jaymesk

I've always been big on eating breakfast to get the metabolism going in the morning and get those nutrients. That's what I've always known! But I was watching this https://shrinke.me/E2qw on how misleading the info on skipping breaky is.

Advertisement