Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safely reduce body fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Bruno26 wrote: »
    What's your question?

Cut out fruit, eat as much fruit as you like. Explain this contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Not this again...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Cut out fruit, eat as much fruit as you like. Explain this contradiction?

A bit pedantic!

I suppose I should have said as much Greek yogurt as I like with a handful of chopped blueberries and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Definitely don't eat as much fruit as you like. Stick to the berries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

A bit pedantic!

I suppose I should have said as much Greek yogurt as I like with a handful of chopped blueberries and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Definitely don't eat as much fruit as you like. Stick to the berries.

Berries aren't fruit now? Check
    Remind me what's the current stance on calories? All the same or some are different?

Berries aren't fruit now? Check
    Remind me what's the current stance on calories? All the same or some are different?

You really need it spelled it out for you!

If eating fruit- choose berries as they are lower in sugar / carbs than other fruit commonly eaten.

• Advertisement

!RAY wrote: »
    Regular gym user. I have changed my routine and noticed good results. Anyway my bodyfat is between 16 and 19. I want to reduce it to around the 10% mark. My diet is health but not sure how many carbs I should be eating per day
    My weight is always between 88-90 k g and I am 6 ft 4. I work different shifts so one week I need to train at about 9 in the morning which I find hard as my energy level is not great.i wake up and have a bowl of portage then 15 later in the gym. Sorry for long winded question.

I reduced my bodyfat from 23% to 14%. It's taken about 18-24 months. Pretty much all done through food with a small bit of exercise. I used to run a lot but could never lose the body fat as I was eating too many carbs at every meal. The process became easier and the results were better when I completely removed grains and sugar and added in lots of healthy fats.

You are clearly training a fair bit so you should see good results. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭!RAY

I reduced my bodyfat from 23% to 14%. It's taken about 18-24 months. Pretty much all done through food with a small bit of exercise. I used to run a lot but could never lose the body fat as I was eating too many carbs at every meal. The process became easier and the results were better when I completely removed grains and sugar and added in lots of healthy fats.

You are clearly training a fair bit so you should see good results. Good luck with it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

@bruno26 - you talk of healthy fats, could you mention a few unhealthy ones?

im not replying to you so dont reply to me.

That lasted long!

it wasn't a reply? to quote another poster on this forum, 'do I need to spell it out?'

u jus gonna avoid this question too?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Sibhsoo

Unhealthy fats are usually man made ones such as trans fats. Eat animal fat, olive oil, real butter and coconut oil to name a few good fats to eat.

Although there is a theory that all polyunsaturated fats are actually harmful.

Sibhsoo wrote: »
    Unhealthy fats are usually man made ones such as trans fats. Eat animal fat, olive oil, real butter and coconut oil to name a few good fats to eat.

Although there is a theory that all polyunsaturated fats are actually harmful.

There is a theory that the moon landing was a hoax, there are also people who actually believe the world is flat. Just because someone thinks it doesn't make it true.

Anyway, it was just a question to see if Bruno26 could directly answer one. Which it appears he can't. High fat people will tend to waffle and nearly give a concrete statement, but they never say anything accurate/specific enough to prove right or wrong. This also has the effect of making their nearly information totally useless.

There is a theory that the moon landing was a hoax, there are also people who actually believe the world is flat. Just because someone thinks it doesn't make it true.

Anyway, it was just a question to see if Bruno26 could directly answer one. Which it appears he can't. High fat people will tend to waffle and nearly give a concrete statement, but they never say anything accurate/specific enough to prove right or wrong. This also has the effect of making their nearly information totally useless.

Just a reminder!

Quote: generic2012
    im not replying to you so dont reply to me.

So you obviously can't.... doesn't bode very well for the 'information' you're posting.

For everything you ever wanted to know about fats- natural, man-made, healthy or unhealthy check out a book called The Big Fat Surprise.

Thanks for backing up my last post.

It really is a great book. Seeing you don't know the answer to the above question I feel it will greatly benefit you. It's also full of science therefore it has to be all true.

I just asked because I enjoy watching the lengths you'll go to to answer a question. I don't mind that you don't have a clue what you're on about, it's just that I think it's reprehensible and very dangerous that you give out advice to persuadable posters.

And it's not 'full of science', it's full of numbers which it uses to posit some very dubious ideas based on some, at best, very flimsy correlations.

Any chance of listing the unhealthy fats?

I just asked because I enjoy watching the lengths you'll go to to answer a question. I don't mind that you don't have a clue what you're on about, it's just that I think it's reprehensible and very dangerous that you give out advice to persuadable posters.

And it's not 'full of science', it's full of numbers which it uses to posit some very dubious ideas based on some, at best, very flimsy correlations.

Any chance of listing the unhealthy fats?[/QUOT

Anything man-made found in processed food would be the answer to that. Fat in real food- it's all good.

Oh I thought you asked because you hadn't a clue! I suppose that was an easy assumption to make based on some of your incoherent recent posts.

Read the book- you just might question everything you believe to be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

To the OP, my advise, after spending years following various plans and doing a lot (and I mean a lot) of reading on the wider subject.

The basics are eat what you want as long as your calorie intake is under or at the level you need for your desired weight loss.
    The calories need to contain a certain amount of protein - everyone has their opinion. Mine would be 1g/lb LBM on a cut, maybe higher.
    Also needs to contain fats. I don't know if anyone really knows how much fat is absolutely necessary as for too long there was controversy about fat and the common thinking was that it was bad for you. Personally, on a cut, I use anywhere from 1.2g/lb - 2g/lb of bodyweight
    Don't need Carbs - ever.

First two are opinion, third is fact.

The longer version is what there is constant arguing about here - how much carbs should one take.
    Where Bruno gets a magic 150g number from, I have no idea. I don't understand this "magic" number. There was a time when I ate a low carb (<20g/day) diet and put on weight, so it completely flies in the face of the facts that Bruno puts out.
    Maybe for him, 150g/day has worked, but I don't see how that can apply to a general population.

Following a low carb diet (<50g/day generally speaking) should put you into ketosis and your body will look to fat as the primary energy source. I went 3 months with <20g/day of carbs without losing any strength or cardio impact - I never had problems doing 45 mins of cardio. People who never tried keto did not understand how I could do this, but I did. So, carbs are not required, but are difficult to avoid. Problem with a high carb diet though is the blood sugar spikes which cause hunger when they come back down. Protein and fats will keep you satisfied for longer without the spikes.

So, keeping this all very basic, which is all you can do in a forum like this, my recommendation would be to make a plan, write it down - how many calories/protein/fat/carbs you want to consume in a day for your goals. Measure and track everything. Follow religiously and wait.

The other piece of advise I would give is how low your calorie intake should be. Getting to anywhere near 10% bf is going to be very hard. When I cut, I tend to use a deficit of 29 calories/day per lb fat. So, I work out how much fat I am carrying, multiply by 29 and that's my deficit. Anything more risks losing lbm.

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »

Where Bruno gets a magic 150g number from, I have no idea. I don't understand this "magic" number. There was a time when I ate a low carb (<20g/day) diet and put on weight, so it completely flies in the face of the facts that Bruno puts out.
    Maybe for him, 150g/day has worked, but I don't see how that can apply to a general population.

Under 150 g = lose weight / easy to maintain weight.
    Under 100 g = weight loss
    Under 50 g = ketosis & weight loss.

This is what will happen if someone has fat to lose and they have removed all grains and sugar (processed food).

You were eating only 20 g a day and put on weight? I presume you had no weight to lose and were doing weights so you put on muscle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Under 150 g = lose weight / easy to maintain weight.
    Under 100 g = weight loss
    Under 50 g = ketosis & weight loss.

This is what will happen if someone has fat to lose and they have removed all grains and sugar (processed food).

You were eating only 20 g a day and put on weight? I presume you had no weight to lose and were doing weights so you put on muscle.

@Bruno I know you mean well but that is nonsense.

High fat does not suit a lot of people, it suits others very well. People vary a lot

There is no magic number of carbs you can apply to everybody.

I'd imagine @Maceface has read all your books and a few others to.

ford2600 wrote: »
    @Bruno I know you mean well but that is nonsense.

High fat does not suit a lot of people, it suits others very well. People vary a lot

There is no magic number of carbs you can apply to everybody.

I'd imagine @Maceface has read all your books and a few others to.

Why are you bringing high fat into it? I never mentioned it here.

It's not nonsense. Indeed there is no magic number but I guarantee anyone who needs to lose fat will lose it if they lower their carb intake to less than 150 g daily. Thats all they have to do- no counting calories involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Indeed there is no magic number but I guarantee anyone who needs to lose fat will lose it if they lower their carb intake to less than 150 g daily.

Is that a money-back guarantee?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Does the OP eat at least 3 meals per day consistently?

Does he/she sleep 8 hours per night, minimum?

Do their meals look something like - 2 palm sized portions of protein, 2 handfuls of veg, a cupped handful of starchy carbs on training days and 2 thumb sized portions of fat?

Are they getting it at least 80% right?

Are they strength training?

Cos otherwise you're all majoring in the minors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Why are you bringing high fat into it? I never mentioned it here.

It's not nonsense. Indeed there is no magic number but I guarantee anyone who needs to lose fat will lose it if they lower their carb intake to less than 150 g daily. Thats all they have to do- no counting calories involved.

Excluding some weird very very high protein diet, by mentioned reducing carbs fat as a percentage has to go up?

Even if you reduce carbs drastically but keep protein high(by not eating enough fat) your body won't enter keotsis. The body will just use it as fuel.

Two high fat advocates, Volek and Pinney, have done studies which suggest reducing carbs in a calorie restricted diet along with cardio/weights mix works best for weight loss in people with a predisposition for diabetes.

I know of people who despite following best advice with a well formulated high fat diet who cannot function well on it.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa0804748
    CONCLUSIONS
    Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Excluding some weird very very high protein diet, by mentioned reducing carbs fat as a percentage has to go up?

Even if you reduce carbs drastically but keep protein high(by not eating enough fat) your body won't enter keotsis. The body will just use it as fuel.

Two high fat advocates, Volek and Pinney, have done studies which suggest reducing carbs in a calorie restricted diet along with cardio/weights mix works best for weight loss in people with a predisposition for diabetes.

I know of people who despite following best advice with a well formulated high fat diet who cannot function well on it.

I agree with most of what you say. You said that what I said was nonsense. You then use Volek & Phinney. They say to restrict carbs to 75 g daily. They also say calories are important but don't need to be counted. That is what I'm saying. Who wants to count calories forever to maintain a certain weight. People who count calories are also not eating as much nutrient dense food as they could be eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

People who count calories are also not eating as much nutrient dense food as they could be eating.

And you're getting this info from where?

• Advertisement

You only have to count calories for a few days, then you learn to eye ball portions, most lean meats are similar in macros, rices are surprisingly similar, as is pasta, no need for most people to count green veg, most people will eat full tins of beans/full tubs of yoghurt/full whatevers of whatevers, the same serving size of milk each time etc. It's not hard to do, you'd be surprised how little different foods people eat regularly.

Advertisement