Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any tips on what healthy things to eat

• 16-07-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for tips/ideas on what to snack on between meals and at night or in the morning, I work shift,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That's an extremely vague question. Hundreds of different answers. What do you currently eat and what is your shift pattern like? What foods do you dislike? Also, what are your goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Well my 1st attempt to eat healthy was gronola and low fat yogurt, I went crazy on this stuff thought I was doing great till it was told it was the same as having a bowl of sugar for breakfast,
    In the mornings (5am) I'd have 2 bannas and 2 breakfast bars til I have porridge around 10am.
    During the day I'd eat nuts and fruit as snacks,
    Then at night 12am I'd have tea and some digestive biscuits. If I was peckish,

Just looking to start getting healthy foods instead of junk, but I'm not sure of what's good and what's bad,

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Total Greek 0% yogurt from dunnes high protein content with spoon of flaxseed and spoon of granola with handful of berries is a good breakfast or snack

Cut out the biscuits. Porridge is good but I'm always starving after it for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

smyths wrote: »
    Total Greek 0% yogurt from dunnes high protein content with spoon of flaxseed and spoon of granola with handful of berries is a good breakfast or snack

Cut out the biscuits. Porridge is good but I'm always starving after it for some reason.

Eat the full fat yogurt. You will feel fuller longer.

You are starving after porridge because it's high carb. It's making you crave more food very soon after eating.

ronn wrote: »
    I'm looking for tips/ideas on what to snack on between meals and at night or in the morning, I work shift,

If I feel hungry the foods I snack on would be macadamia nuts, full fat Greek yogurt with cinnamon, couple of hard boiled eggs, avocado with almond butter, dark chocolate. I will sometimes make bulletproof coffee or coffee with cream and coconut oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Bruno26 wrote: »

You are starving after porridge because it's high carb. It's making you crave more food very soon after eating.

I eat porridge mixed with linseed and raisins , always keeps me going till lunchtime

I eat porridge mixed with linseed and raisins , always keeps me going till lunchtime

I used to eat it for breakfast but was always hungry by 11. Now I have eggs in some form or Greek yogurt and coffee and rarely eat before lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've only come across the Total 0% version of Fage Greek yoghurt in any of the shops I frequent.

It's likely the previous poster advocated that because they are in the same boat and it beats the pants off every other yoghurt in there.

I've only come across the Total 0% version of Fage Greek yoghurt in any of the shops I frequent.

It's likely the previous poster advocated that because they are in the same boat and it beats the pants off every other yoghurt in there.

The only place I've seen the full fat fage is donnybrook fair. Could try the glenisk Greek style either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

The only place I've seen the full fat fage is donnybrook fair. Could try the glenisk Greek style either.

Is adding honey to natural yoghurt defeating the purpose? I have tried but cant tolerate the taste on its own. Or is there anything else I could add? Sorry OP for jumping into your thread.

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Is adding honey to natural yoghurt defeating the purpose? I have tried but cant tolerate the taste on its own. Or is there anything else I could add? Sorry OP for jumping into your thread.

A bit!

Add cinnamon and chopped blueberries to the glenisk Greek style yogurt. It's delicious! I prefer glenisk to other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

A bit!

Add cinnamon and chopped blueberries to the glenisk Greek style yogurt. It's delicious! I prefer glenisk to other brands.

Thanks, will try the cinnamon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks all
    My porridge I'd add raisins and fruit, cinnamon and honey,
    Anyone got any ideas what to replace my night time (12am)cup of tea and biscuits with.
    Would a nature valley bar be better than digestives.
    During the day I would snack on raisins and nuts,
    Thanks for all the info/tips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ronn wrote: »
    Thanks all
    My porridge I'd add raisins and fruit, cinnamon and honey,
    Anyone got any ideas what to replace my night time (12am)cup of tea and biscuits with.
    Would a nature valley bar be better than digestives.
    During the day I would snack on raisins and nuts,
    Thanks for all the info/tips

A Nature Valley bar is about 190 kcal. A Digestive is about 65 kcal a go.

Maybe cut down the no. of biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

My handy go to snack at the moment is peanut butter on rice cakes or peanut butter with apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I love peanut butter too much. I eat teaspoons of it directly from the jar if I'm peckish.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

I love peanut butter too much. I eat teaspoons of it directly from the jar if I'm peckish.

So do I it's a great snack, the crunchy kind though, smooth peanut butter glues your mouth shut :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Almond butter on a oat cake very filling low cal

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Crunchy peanut butter with carrot sticks is my night time snack yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Put hemp seed onto the porridge
    full of protein and omega oils

oatcakes with hummus is my current favourite snack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

3 or 4 soft prunes (Lidl sell a good value 500g box, and Tesco has an Everyday Value bag in the baking aisle), plus 6 or 8 almonds. My go-to sweet snack of the mo, it's lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Kevlar Bay

Oysters
    Kerrygold butter
    Bone broth
    Liver
    Salmon
    Sauerkraut
    Grassed Beef
    Eggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

bytheglass wrote: »
    Crunchy peanut butter with carrot sticks is my night time snack yum!

I threw a jar of peanut butter in the dustbin tonight ......Its too American taste for us .
    Just could'nt take to it .

Almond or macadamia butter on avocado or an apple would be a much better snack than peanut butter and rice cakes. Peanuts aren't nuts!

Should we eat snacks at all? If we need to snack does it mean we aren't eating enough of the right foods at meal time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Carrott, cucumber and pepper sticks (fancy posh name is crudités) dipped in a bit of hummus.

As long as you're not eating huge dollops I think it's fine, hummus is so strong tasting anyway you just need a little on the veg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Dust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

dylbert wrote: »
    My handy go to snack at the moment is peanut butter on rice cakes or peanut butter with apple.

Peanut butter (or any nut butter) on Narin oatcakes. Preferably one of the Meridian nut butters. Good balance of Protein, Fat and Carbs. And the label on the jar says 100% peanuts - nothing else.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Peanut butter (or any nut butter) on Narin oatcakes. Preferably one of the Meridian nut butters. Good balance of Protein, Fat and Carbs. And the label on the jar says 100% peanuts - nothing else.

Peanuts are not a nut. They are a legume. The meridian almond butter is excellent with much better nutritional content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Peanuts are not a nut. They are a legume. The meridian almond butter is excellent with much better nutritional content.

The almond butter is very good also. The almond butter beats the peanut butter on carbs, but is also higher on fat so its a bit of a trade off. I like the crunch in the crunchy versions of both. The Pumpkin seed butter is also very good, with a nutritional profile very similar to the peanut butter.

• Advertisement

Hibernicis wrote: »
    The almond butter is very good also. The almond butter beats the peanut butter on carbs, but is also higher on fat so its a bit of a trade off. I like the crunch in the crunchy versions of both. The Pumpkin seed butter is also very good, with a nutritional profile very similar to the peanut butter.

The higher fat content is also good. There is no trade off. Good fat does not make you fat.

Advertisement