Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

That's interesting... I've been taking ibuprofen and a strong enough pain killer (solpadol) for the past 2 weeks and I've been pretty disappointed at the scales.. Wonder if they are hindering my weightloss?? I was taking 'lyrica' before and as soon as I came off it I started losing a lot more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

dee_mc wrote: »
    Different sizes so I'm not sure at a glance, more free ones in Aldi anyway
    Brooklea Fat Free Cherry Yogurt , 175g pot ½
    Brooklea Fat Free Greek Style Coconut & Vanilla Yogurt 4 pack, per 100g Free
    Brooklea Fat Free Greek Style Lemon Yogurt 4 pack, per 100g Free
    Brooklea Fat Free Greek Style Yogurt, Cherry 4 pack, 125g pot ½
    Brooklea Fat Free Greek Style Yogurt, Peach & Honey 4 pack, 125g pot ½
    Brooklea Fat Free Greek Style Yogurt, Strawberry 4 pack, per 100g Free
    Brooklea Fat Free Greek Style Yogurt, Toffee 4 pack, 125g pot ½
    Brooklea Fat Free Layered Greek Style Yogurt, Cherry 4 pack, 125g pot ½

Has anyone seems the Peach and Honey, Toffee and Cherry flavours in store, I have heard about them online, they are pretty recent additions as far as I know, but have yet to actually see them in the wild. Would love to try them as I am getting a bit bored of the strawberry and lemon flavours and I don't like the vanilla and coconut one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I have been on holidays & off plan since last Friday - yesterday so I know I will have a gain on Thursday but that's fine, we all have to live :D

This week at group is the new member talk again which does nothing for me as I know the plan inside out so probably a good week to have a gain as I won't need to talk about it... so will weigh & go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Back on the straight road again and down 2.5 this week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

m'lady wrote: »
    That's interesting... I've been taking ibuprofen and a strong enough pain killer (solpadol) for the past 2 weeks and I've been pretty disappointed at the scales.. Wonder if they are hindering my weightloss?? I was taking 'lyrica' before and as soon as I came off it I started losing a lot more too.

I'd say almost certainly. But it's a temporary thing and hopefully you're back on the mend and doing well on the scales soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

On a plus side, I was wearing size 12 trousers to an interview today :D To think last year, I was size 26... :eek: so who cares about a small gain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Dodge wrote: »
    Yes. Antibiotics and anti inflammatory tablets definitely effect weight. Don't worry too much though, it's more important to be well! :)

Balls, I'll be on the anti-inflammatory tablets for a while and if they don't work then it's steroid injections. This getting old lark isn't fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I'm going for lunch today and im having a ceaser salad. No clue as to syns..

If i say no crutons and sauce on the side?

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

SATSUMA wrote: »
    I'm going for lunch today and im having a ceaser salad. No clue as to syns..

If i say no crutons and sauce on the side?

Any ideas?

Depends on the place, some use bacon as well and that won't have the fat cut off !

But yes to the above

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Hi All, I've been on an off slimming world the last couple of years but to no joy - due to my own lack of motivation I'm great for a couple of weeks and then get bored and fall into my old habits! I've roughly 32lbs to lose to get me to a comfortable weight - I'm 5-10 so if i got into the mid 11's range I'd be happy... Lost 1.5 the first week and then another 1.5 this week. A little disappointed with this weeks loss as I was very good, i kept a food diary and stayed for meeting etc. Hoping that maybe it might come good for me next week although as it's my star week and I have a hen at the weekend I am nervous!

Looking to change my meal choices though as I think my body might be too used to them. I normally dont eat bread and use my Hex for two hifi bars or one peanut heaven hifi bar as I'm a chocoholic! - not sure if this would be incorrect thing to do? occasionally then I will have another hifi bar later in the evening which I would syn. I would tend to use most of my syns in a flexisyn kinda way maybe not ideal but I've alot of weddings \ parties at the moment so it's only way I can think to stay on track?

Also, is there anything as too much fruit? - i'd eat a punnet of strawberries in a sitting no problem :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Stayed the same this week, ok with that. Back exercising every day, now kids are gone back to school, so body is re-adjusting. Hope to see the loss next week. Total weight loss to date 51 pounds!!!

Mondo123 wrote: »

Also, is there anything as too much fruit? - i'd eat a punnet of strawberries in a sitting no problem :(

So would I and I do OK

I think there is something with changing meals/foods up a bit and keeping things fresh for you

I tend to use my hex B on bars too but more because I need them for breakfast. No harm in using wholemeal rolls or something like that for a few days instead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi Mondo123, good on ya for getting back on plan.
    I've messily quoted your post and tried to answer a few of your questions/issues below, hope it helps!
    Mondo123 wrote: »
    Hi All, I've been on an off slimming world the last couple of years but to no joy - due to my own lack of motivation I'm great for a couple of weeks and then get bored and fall into my old habits!

Something you're doing Slimming World-wise isn't working - maybe there isn't enough variety in your diet to keep you interested for more than a few weeks? Maybe you're not eating enough?

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]I've roughly 32lbs to lose to get me to a comfortable weight - I'm 5-10 so if i got into the mid 11's range I'd be happy... Lost 1.5 the first week and then another 1.5 this week. A little disappointed with this weeks loss as I was very good, i kept a food diary and stayed for meeting etc. Hoping that maybe it might come good for me next week although as it's my star week and I have a hen at the weekend I am nervous![/COLOR]

I hear people saying that a lot in group - I'm disappointed with the loss because I was 'very good'... are you quite sure your meals were in the correct proportions (one third speed, 2 thirds free) and that you ate enough food? Were you hungry or feeling deprived? Restricting doesn't work on this plan, as I learned in my first few weeks.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]Looking to change my meal choices though as I think my body might be too used to them. I normally dont eat bread and use my Hex for two hifi bars or one peanut heaven hifi bar as I'm a chocoholic! - not sure if this would be incorrect thing to do? occasionally then I will have another hifi bar later in the evening which I would syn.[/COLOR]

My sister in law does exactly this and she's losing away, works a treat for her!

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]I would tend to use most of my syns in a flexisyn kinda way maybe not ideal but I've alot of weddings \ parties at the moment so it's only way I can think to stay on track?[/COLOR]

Flexisyns (according to my consultant anyway) doesn't involve limiting or cutting out your daily syns only to use them all in one day; she reckons you should use your daily syns as normal and use a fixed, higher number of syns on the day of a wedding or party or whatever. So maybe try that for a while and see if it helps?

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]Also, is there anything as too much fruit? - i'd eat a punnet of strawberries in a sitting no problem :([/COLOR]

Just flattened a punnet of strawberries there, delicious, filling up on fruit is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Thanks ladies for your replies, appreciate it. I will try vary things up an eat my syns on the day itself this week (had 11 today!!)... I'll also stick with the strawberries! I'm defo more aware as well of the 1/3 superfree. Will let you know how it goes, thanks again 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

Hi Guys,

I've jumped ship from the WW band wagon and have joined up to SW. I'm just finished my 2nd week and am 3 1/2 down. Nothing massive, but it was two hectic weeks so I'm ok with that and quietly hopeful for the result next Tuesday as I haven't anything on this week.

So as a newbie, I have a question! You know the dried noodles you get in the Chinese shops for soups - not like koka noodles or anything like that) - are they free?

Dee01 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've jumped ship from the WW band wagon and have joined up to SW. I'm just finished my 2nd week and am 3 1/2 down. Nothing massive, but it was two hectic weeks so I'm ok with that and quietly hopeful for the result next Tuesday as I haven't anything on this week.

So as a newbie, I have a question! You know the dried noodles you get in the Chinese shops for soups - not like koka noodles or anything like that) - are they free?

Hi Dee! Welcome welcome.
    Egg noodles and rice noodles are free anyway!

Another half a pound down! Delighted. BMI is now 26 so only one point above normal or healthy weight, which is rather lovely. I think the last time I was around this weight, I was 11 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Amazing Dee. After my pregnancy health scares I'm getting great satisfaction seeing my BMI points move down, couldn't care less about my dress size etc! Oh I got my 2.5 stone award tonight, whoopee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Down 3lbs tonight after a few weeks of me acting stupid. My boyfriend had to leave the country for work for a few months at short notice so I was sad and pitying myself and of course over indulging. So I decided to cop myself on. He should be home by Christmas so here's hoping I get my 5 stone award before he gets back! At least it's something to aim for!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thinking of joining, I have done WW before so I'm struggling to get my head around SW. How does it work for treats, I went to one meeting ages ago and seem to remember that you had very little syns each week to play around with. How much flexibility do you have for a few drinks or chocolate etc?

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Thinking of joining, I have done WW before so I'm struggling to get my head around SW. How does it work for treats, I went to one meeting ages ago and seem to remember that you had very little syns each week to play around with. How much flexibility do you have for a few drinks or chocolate etc?

You get 15 syns per day (men get more, ladies under I think 10 stone get less).
    A large glass of wine is 6 syns, 25ml any spirit is 3, a Chomp choc bar is 6, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

dee_mc wrote: »
    You get 15 syns per day (men get more, ladies under I think 10 stone get less).
    A large glass of wine is 6 syns, 25ml any spirit is 3, a Chomp choc bar is 6, etc

You can't save them up can you? How on earth do you manage on a night out, you'd go through 15 so quick.

You can't save them up can you? How on earth do you manage on a night out, you'd go through 15 so quick.

Flexisyns is handy in that instance, basically you don't do it too often but you allocate yourself extra syns, for example 50 (or 30 or 70 or whatever, it's up to yourself), and in theory stop if and when you reach that number, and you don't compensate by restricting syns any other day.
    Some people just take a night off rather than calling it flexisyns, but either way you'd be aware of a compromised loss that week if you went a bit far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

You're not meant to no, it's to discourage binge/restriction behaviour. Best to try and keep it under the 15 when possible, but if you go over you just start the next day with your full allowance.

You can have a 'flexi syns' night every now and again. The idea is that you set yourself a new limit (you can pick whatever you want) so say 40 instead of 15. Then get back on it the next day back to your 15

Everyone in SW has nights out, and most drink, so every one face the same issue. The idea behind flexi syns is that you try and limit yourself somewhat, but don't feel yourself being deprived

Not to put it bluntly but anyone who's a heavy drinker is unlikely to lose weight so some sacrifices have to be made (PS this isn't directed to you!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

dee_mc wrote:
    You get 15 syns per day (men get more, ladies under I think 10 stone get less)

Really?? Does that mean once you go under 10 or so your syns change? I haven't heard this before!

I'm not 100% on the lower syns thing mejulie, I was a visiting member at a different group some months back and overheard the consultant telling a new member that as her starting weight was under 10 stone, she had a daily allowance of 10 syns.
    I haven't checked it with my consultant but I will have to fairly shortly!

I don't think you go down syns if your under 10 stone, but I could be wrong.. Only on Monday my consultant was commenting that I'm near my first target (9.5 stone ) and I asked her should I reduce the amount of syns I'm having and she said no that it's only when you hit 'a plateau' should you reduce slightly.. I'm gonna double check with her next week though as if I thought it could help me lose more I'd reduce them!

Dodge wrote: »
    I'd say almost certainly. But it's a temporary thing and hopefully you're back on the mend and doing well on the scales soon

Thanks Dodge, unfortunately it's an on going back problem that they are wanting me to take these tablets for the foreseeable future but in fairness they aren't actually helping me so I think I'll go back to the Doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

down 3.5lbs in my first week back, thought it would be more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement