Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I think finally I am getting away from the scales. I have not lost a single pound the last four weeks but that is fine with me because my clothes are slightly looser than four weeks ago so something is obviously going in the right direction. I think I am ready to throw the scales in the bin!!!! Getting to really love the strenght training and have changed my initial goal.

I started in Feb, giving myself almost a year to lose my extra weight before my wedding (New Years Eve). Extra weight being about five stone.

The new goal is to lose weight this year, measured by drop in dress sizes, and NEXT year getting stronger and even fitter - this is a new me!

Well done, things seem to be going really well. As i say with me it needs to be a lifestyle change and if i continue the way i'm going then the weight should follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Well done, things seem to be going really well. As i say with me it needs to be a lifestyle change and if i continue the way i'm going then the weight should follow

I have been dipping in and out of weight loss/gains for about 10/12 years but this is the first time that it is about lifestyle over scales and educating myself properly, sounds very like you are on the same path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Well here it am proudly and loudly reporting that I am now down 1 and a half stone.
    It took me 20weeks to lose the stone and 4 weeks to lose the next half stone.
    I know that is very slow compared to other losses here but when I started unislim in January I said no more starvation and quick losses followed by binges. This for me is truly a life style change that I hope to build on and continuously improve as time goes on.

The first 20wks were about building healthy habits, and reestablishing proper portion sizes as well as eliminating picking/grazing habits.

So go me and I really hope I'll keep it up.
    Checking In Here helps and I've found Unislim great for portion sizes and so on.

So thanks to everyone for sharing their stories it really does help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Up 4lbs. :(

I was put on medication recently that has a common side effect of weight gain. Not increased appetite like the pill, just weight gain.

I can't stop taking it, and will be on it a minimum on 9 months, so I'm feeling a bit disheartened.

The doctor said it'll hopefully drop back off shortly, but it's a pain in the hole because I'm working really hard.

Time to cut the cals even further :/

Up 4lbs. :(

I was put on medication recently that has a common side effect of weight gain. Not increased appetite like the pill, just weight gain.

I can't stop taking it, and will be on it a minimum on 9 months, so I'm feeling a bit disheartened.

The doctor said it'll hopefully drop back off shortly, but it's a pain in the hole because I'm working really hard.

Time to cut the cals even further :/

That's tough to take Green screen.
    But your health must come first.
    I don't want to go near 'giving out medical advice' territory but cutting cals might be counter productive in the long run. Would increasing exercise be more effective maybe?
    Could you talk to a proper dietician/nutritionalist (am not sure of correct title) that could advise you long term ?

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭popcornbowl

Hi guys

So I've decided to give this weight loss a serious bash and I figure if I have it down in writing then there's no going back! I've been coming onto this thread for a while now and have really been amazed and inspired by the stories of everyones determination.

I have just under 2 stone to lose. No matter what I do, I just cant seem to get under the 12st mark. I'm 12.6 as of today and am heading on hols in Sept so would definitely like to be in and around the 11 mark (at the very least) by then. That gives me 8 weeks and I reckon thats do-able, right?

To be honest, It's not even the weight that bothers me, I did one of those holdy-outy things that calculates your bmi and my % body fat was 36%! That means that almost half of me is pure and utter fat! How is that even possible?! My poor insides must look in an awful fekkin state!!! So that's given me the good wake up call that I need!

Just thought Id say hello and like I said, get it written down so there's no going back!

Hi popcornbowl

As I've said here a few times unislim helped me lose weight by reeducating me on portion sizes and the correct amount of carbs. Psychologically I need the weekly weigh in too.

Just to give you an idea of a day
    Breakfast
    2 weetabix
    Some fruit

Lunch
    Large Brown pitta bread
    Salad
    Lean protein (tuna/chicken/ham etc)

Dinner
    2 small pots or 1/4plate Brown rice/brown pasta
    Lean protein
    Veg

2 small snacks in day
    Main points brown carbs only, not too much
    As much veg as u like, you can gave a lit if fruit too but watch sugar amounts
    Low fat yoghurt
    Drink water.

It's pretty doable the full plan obviously has more details I just quickly typed what has helped me.
    In my eyes sugar is as bad as fat so I am conscious of sugar intake

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I am down 1.5lbs this week :). I'm getting a bit lazy with the exercise and water intake so I need to watch that! I am finding it harder to keep motivated this past week but I have managed...barely.

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I am down 1.5lbs this week :). I'm getting a bit lazy with the exercise and water intake so I need to watch that! I am finding it harder to keep motivated this past week but I have managed...barely.

If my motivation is low I tell myself that I'd hate to put on again what I lost last week.
    Sometimes to stay the same is a challenge Enough.

I found it so difficult to motivate myself to get out for my walk today...put it off until almost 7pm but finally got up and out and feel so much better for it...its always the way!

plus, I took a wrong turn (I'm new to the area) and was faced with a hill that looked like an un-snowy Mt. Everest! The fekkin thing nearly killed me but I'll be going back for more of that bad boy tomorrow! Up that thing a few times a week and I should be at my goal weight (or dead!) in no time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Getting back on track lately, about time! Frozen grapes as a treat are my life now!:pac: They are really good though!

Ive only been (seriously) at it for the week and I feel so much better in myself. I havent been on the scales yet (fingers crossed for tuesday eve) but my clothes are already starting to feel a tiny bit looser and I have tonnes more energy. I'm also sleeping better than I have in yonks!

The good weather makes a huge difference for the walking part and to be honest Im kinda dreading a rainy day but Im hoping by then that I'll have dropped a good few pounds and my motivation will be sky high and I wont mind going out in it!

Does anyone here use myfitnesspal? I use it religiously and have to say, it really keeps things in perspective for me...the power of seeing things written down in black n white is nothing to be snuffed at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ugh, a whole week of perfect eating and exercise (as in, did nothing different to usual) and absolutely zero movement on the scales. I know logically that's just how it goes sometimes and really I can't complain since I had great losses the previous 2 weeks but it's irritating all the same so just come on for a bit of a rant ha!

Managed to hunt out a health food shop here in Tokyo a few days ago but dear God everything was ridiculously expensive! Like, 5 euro for a fruit/nut bar thing! They're selection was pretty crap too - I had high hopes of finding protein bars but no luck. They did have coconut oil but it was like 20 euro for a teeny tub - is it that much at home?! I hope not eeek! So many foods and recipes I've discovered in the past few months that I'm dying to try but the ingredients are next to impossible to get here, such a pain. Plus I've no oven, another obstacle for many of the things I want to try!

down 4 pounds, happy enough with that...will aim for 2-3 per week from here on in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

4lb is brilliant! I'm only on day two and I'm starving ;-( I already ate 3 of my extra points and I really wanted to make it until Thursday with them in tact :( I am either overthinking it (i.e. thinkng too much about being on weightwatchers in making me hungry) or I'm not using my points well. 26 does not seem like a lot!

Edit sorry that should have been in response to post in weightwatchers thread. Well done again popcornbowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

Hi everyone, down 3 this week. Tried the 5:2 diet but found it very tough. Might have another go next week but not sure if it's for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm down half a stone in the last month ish (just kinda concentrating on healthy choices as opposed to weekly losses). Very happy with that. Old clothes are fitting again, jeans need a belt and my legs are definitely slimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭honeygirl

After weeks and weeks of struggling I think I am back in the zone with a 1and half pound loss. Would liked to have lost more but I can't exercise at the moment due to injury so any loss is good. I will just keep concentrating on the food at the moment.

so after my 2 weeks of hour long walks every day, I decided to kick it up a notch and just finished day one of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (found it on Youtube)...all I'll say is WOWZER!!!
    22 mins and my clothes were soaked right through. If anyone is looking for a bit of a kick, I'd defo recommend it. Its hard but definitely doable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

so after my 2 weeks of hour long walks every day, I decided to kick it up a notch and just finished day one of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (found it on Youtube)...all I'll say is WOWZER!!!
    22 mins and my clothes were soaked right through. If anyone is looking for a bit of a kick, I'd defo recommend it. Its hard but definitely doable!

I used to do the 30 day shred and did a session from level 2 last night as didn't have time for the gym. It really is a great workout...drenched and wrecked at the end of it. I have done it for 30 days before and it's definitely worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Its amazing, I love that you can feel it getting easier every day.

misslt wrote: »
    Its amazing, I love that you can feel it getting easier every day.

well hopefully! Have to say, I didnt find it as tough as I thought I would but I'm putting that down to all the (hilly) walking I've gotten in over the last 2 weeks...now don't get me wrong, I did get a few "oh sweet mother of god..." moments but nothing unbearable.

plus, as if the weight loss wasnt incentive enough, I can't believe that as a gay woman I never a)knew she was hot and b)knew she was gay! like, hello?! Which rock have I been living under?! I'm already looking forward to my date with her tomorrow lol!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So here it is last weigh in before holidays and I am delighted to say I've lost 30lbs since I started dieting again.

I'm going to really enjoy my holidays and not worry and work my ass off to lose any holiday weight and my 5lbs to goal when I get home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Loughc wrote: »
    So here it is last weigh in before holidays and I am delighted to say I've lost 30lbs since I started dieting again.

I'm going to really enjoy my holidays and not worry and work my ass off to lose any holiday weight and my 5lbs to goal when I get home!!

Congratulations! What an awesome loss to have achieved heading off. Enjoy your holiday! :)

Loughc wrote: »

Thats great! its posts like this that made me want to join this thread! Enjoy your hols!

I just finished day two of Jillian Michaels...holy god...way harder than yesterday but I got trhough it...just!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thats great! its posts like this that made me want to join this thread! Enjoy your hols!

I just finished day two of Jillian Michaels...holy god...way harder than yesterday but I got trhough it...just!

I did jillian michaels last year. It is so tough! Push through the pain though it is worth it. Great results from it!

Well as of this morning I'm down 2 stone and out of the obese BMI category. Feeling good but a long way to go still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Well as of this morning I'm down 2 stone and out of the obese BMI category. Feeling good but a long way to go still

Congrats. That's some achievement!!

so i stayed the same at my weigh in this week, was quite disappointed but then I started trying on all my old clothes and most of them fit!!! so im hoping that im gaining muscle and thats what was going on with the scales.

Just finished day 5 of Jillian Michaels - at one point in it she says "if you're on day5,6 or 7 you'll notice a huge difference in your endurance at this point" and for the first few days every time she said it I was like "yeah, right!!!!" but shes right, I got through the whole thing today and was barely out of breath. Now the sweat was absolutely pumping out of me but it definitely felt easier! My shins are starting to get quite sore though but i'm determined to do the full 30 days and the old clothes fitting me have given me an extra boost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I follow a number of ladies on Facebook that are really into fitness now. A good few lost no weight but dropped a few dress sizes. Focusing on the scales can be hugely demotivating. Surely toning up and looking lean rather than flabby should be the goal?

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I follow a number of ladies on Facebook that are really into fitness now. A good few lost no weight but dropped a few dress sizes. Focusing on the scales can be hugely demotivating. Surely toning up and looking lean rather than flabby should be the goal?

oh absolutely! i'm delighted with my results so far. I can see subtle differences in my shape already and thats only 3 weeks of "diligence" (for want of a better word)!

I don't care what the scales say as long as I continue to feel (and look) better in myself!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Tigger99 wrote: »

I find I'm paying less and less attention to the scales and more to how things fit and how I look. It's nice to see the scales going down but it's nicer to fit into clothes that last year wouldn't close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Some great losses on this thread.........well done all.

It's interesting the way people are getting more focussed on fitness now as opposed to weight loss. I've been on various diets for years now and have weighed between 10 stone 2 lbs and 12 stone for the past 7 or eight years or so.

Ive had success with both Slimming World and Weight Watchers (2 stone each time on both) but never kept it off fully...... and dont want to slate them as both have worked for me (to a point) but I would never do them again and here's why.........

Basically I have outgrown them and my mindset has "evolved" for want of a better word. I hated the way you felt permanently on a diet. I dont agree the way they promote unhealthy food and the kind of "you can buck the system" and still eat processed false foods,, pink n white wafers, mueller light yoghurts, mugshots to name but a few. Those type of things are about as much nutritional value as cardboard. Also, the way you are either being "good" or "bold". And also how exercise is referred to as "body magic" in Slimming World.

After much I weighed 2 months ago at 10 stone 10 and decided I needed to get back to 10 stone. So, followed a healthy eating plan.......which involves every type of food, all unprocessed and also doing a fair bit of exercise.......mostly gym and spin classes. As a result, I've lost way over a stone and am now 9 stone 7 lbs. I cant believe it. Im I never felt I had that much weight to lose, but boy does it suit me. My whole shape has changed, I dont look skinny, I look very very fit. I feel healthy,look younger, full of energy and am mentally sharp. And I've never felt once on a diet. Ive just cut the crap.

It's interesting the amount of people lately that are shifting away from numbers on scales and focusing on fitness and healthy eating (no more processed false foods)

I really think SW and WW do have a place in weight loss and will take people so far, so I am not slating them in any way, but love the thought of never being on a diet again, but looking at food from a healthier perspective as opposed to low fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

anewme wrote: »
    Some great losses on this thread.........well done all.

It's interesting the way people are getting more focussed on fitness now as opposed to weight loss. I've been on various diets for years now and have weighed between 10 stone 2 lbs and 12 stone for the past 7 or eight years or so.

Ive had success with both Slimming World and Weight Watchers (2 stone each time on both) but never kept it off fully...... and dont want to slate them as both have worked for me (to a point) but I would never do them again and here's why.........

Basically I have outgrown them and my mindset has "evolved" for want of a better word. I hated the way you felt permanently on a diet. I dont agree the way they promote unhealthy food and the kind of "you can buck the system" and still eat processed false foods,, pink n white wafers, mueller light yoghurts, mugshots to name but a few. Those type of things are about as much nutritional value as cardboard. Also, the way you are either being "good" or "bold". And also how exercise is referred to as "body magic" in Slimming World.

After much I weighed 2 months ago at 10 stone 10 and decided I needed to get back to 10 stone. So, followed a healthy eating plan.......which involves every type of food, all unprocessed and also doing a fair bit of exercise.......mostly gym and spin classes. As a result, I've lost way over a stone and am now 9 stone 7 lbs. I cant believe it. Im I never felt I had that much weight to lose, but boy does it suit me. My whole shape has changed, I dont look skinny, I look very very fit. I feel healthy,look younger, full of energy and am mentally sharp. And I've never felt once on a diet. Ive just cut the crap.

It's interesting the amount of people lately that are shifting away from numbers on scales and focusing on fitness and healthy eating (no more processed false foods)

I really think SW and WW do have a place in weight loss and will take people so far, so I am not slating them in any way, but love the thought of never being on a diet again, but looking at food from a healthier perspective as opposed to low fat.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of diet were you following while losing the weight? As in, what's an example of what you ate for brekkie, lunch, dinner, snacks.

I'm 10st 10lbs now and would love to get down to 9st 7lbs as that was when I was last really comfortable.

I'd be in same mindset, no interest in following points systems, don't want to cut out food groups and will be increasing my exercise. Also we've been generally eating cleaner the past few months - lots of fresher food, home cooked nearly all the time - so I think I'm ready to get this last bit of weight off with some hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

This is probably a stupid thing to say but I've really noticed that adding cinnamon to my breakfast or to yoghurt really keeps me full. Only started adding it to things a few days ago but really noticed how it keeps me full!:) Diet could be better at the moment though, needlessly sabotaging myself but I'm keeping up with the exercise. Really just need to get the two in line. Was grand for two weeks and then just starting slipping so I really need to make a better effort.

• Advertisement

Up 1 lb this week. Was away so could have been a lot worse. Was feeling a bit bummed about my first gain since starting so I decided to check my measurements, I've lost 4 inches off my chest 7 off my waist and 8 off my hips. Feeling much more positive now. Have gone from a 20-22- 14/16 in 8 weeks biggrin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hey all,

Never posted here before but thought I would give it a bash!

Currently trying really hard to get my weight down. I was about 16st 9 at christmas.

Concentrated my mind a little bit, and hit bang on 15st this morning. Getting back into swimming soon, so that should help! I'm good at calorie counting. I religiously use my fitness pal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Up 1 lb this week. Was away so could have been a lot worse. Was feeling a bit bummed about my first gain since starting so I decided to check my measurements, I've lost 4 inches off my chest 7 off my waist and 8 off my hips. Feeling much more positive now. Have gone from a 20-22- 14/16 in 8 weeks biggrin.png

Did this happen by just diet or exercising a lot too? I never seem to go down in size, I diet for months and nothing so my motivation decreases! C

loubian wrote: »
    Did this happen by just diet or exercising a lot too? I never seem to go down in size, I diet for months and nothing so my motivation decreases! C

Have been exercising, I walk a lot on a day to day basis and have been going to the gym 3/4 times a week, doing a mix of everything, gym programme (weights and cardio) swimming, zumba, boxfit, BLT, aqua aerobics, whatever's on when I get there basically. Definitely helping with my shape aside from just the weight loss

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Hi everyone,

its been a while since I checked in here, but I'm glad to report all is still going well on my end. To date, I've lost 30lbs, slow and steady over the past 6 months. I had a regular 6 monthly appointment at the hospital yesterday, and my doctor didn't even recognise me, so the weight loss is definitely visible now :) I myself cant see it, but people are commenting on it a lot. I'm getting the 'don't lose any more weight' line off some people now! I'm now down to a size 10 on top, and a 10/12 on the bottom (depending on the shop), and I've had to invest in a whole new wardrobe as nothing fits anymore, but that's a good complaint, any excuse for shopping! I've been a bit slack with exercising the past week with the weather, and I have loosened the reigns with my diet, as I am just 0.8lbs away from goal, so hopefully I will transition to maintenance without too much of a gain over the next while.

I never thought I would lose the weight this year, and now my dad is following in my footsteps and has lost 10lbs since the start of the month, so I'm very proud of him.

It really is a lifestyle change, diet and exercise. Its as easy or as difficult as you make it. I started this journey after my 34 y/o very overweight brother had a heart attack abroad last year, and I decided I wasn't going to be next. Unfortunately he has yet to change his lifestyle, but I'm hoping when he sees how easily it can be done, he will make some changes.

Keep up the good work everyone! I'm off for a cuppa and a twix :p cant be good all the time!

• Advertisement

On approx. day 10 of the 30 day shred (Jillian Michaels). Scales haven't moved much as such but I know I've replaced at least a bit of fat with muscle. Seriously there are muscles appearing that I hadn't even realised existed in my body.

Really enjoying the workouts, only 20 mins but I give it socks and have cleaned up my diet a fair bit. Lots of protein, veg & fruit, less dairy, less carbs, more water.

First 5 days I was in bits, couldn't actually sit down or walk down stairs properly at all!

Good week for me, I was a bit more strict than usual with my diet in anticipation of the bank holiday and am down 5 lbs which is a lot more than I expected. Delighted with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Scales haven't moved much in a while but the another few inches have come off.

I was in my workplace the other day, on my day off, out of uniform and got ton of compliments from customers which was a great boost.

My fitness levels have gone through the roof, a bin needed to be taken out yesterday in work and two of my female colleagues were gonna take it out between them, I was able to take it out on my own, cue lots of banter - 'oh there goes muscles'!!!!! 'Do you want another one for the other hand'!!!! etc.

I suppose the moral of my update is while the scales isn't always moving downwards, my whole bodyshape/fitness/strenght is constantly improving so I am finally getting away properly from the whole obsession with wieght!(I hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Well went to weigh in Tuesday and weighed in post holiday. I gained 3lb which I was delighted to after 3 weeks since last weigh in and 9 days away in Florida.

Joined a gym been twice since Tuesday and going again tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a loss this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Mink wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what sort of diet were you following while losing the weight? As in, what's an example of what you ate for brekkie, lunch, dinner, snacks.

I'm 10st 10lbs now and would love to get down to 9st 7lbs as that was when I was last really comfortable.

I'd be in same mindset, no interest in following points systems, don't want to cut out food groups and will be increasing my exercise. Also we've been generally eating cleaner the past few months - lots of fresher food, home cooked nearly all the time - so I think I'm ready to get this last bit of weight off with some hard work.

I'd really like to see an example of your diet?

My story is that Im the heaviest of my sisters at 11 stone. I had got myself down to 10'7 before my holidays, and Im now back at 11 stone. Im so frustrated, as I seem to gain weight so easily. I have a good fitness regime, and have just taken up kick-boxing. I ran Fri, Sat and Sunday of the weekend (8km each time) and still managed to put on 2 pounds.
    I am determined to stick to the following diet:
    5:2 with 500 calories per day, with the other 5 days being sugar and processed food free-zones. I have no problems during the week, but I fall down on the weekends. I have been reading through these threads and have realised I eat quite a lot of fruit, which is basically sugar. I also eat alot of yoghurts, so I may remove them from my diet. Im going to limit my carb intake also. I eat up to 4 eggs per day on this diet though-is that normal?

Down another 3 lbs this week which is 2 1/2 stone in 3 months. Have about another 2 to go but might start eating back my exercise calories a bit more as I'm starting to worry it's coming off a bit too quick and I'll either rebound or end up with loads of loose skin.

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I'd really like to see an example of your diet?

My story is that Im the heaviest of my sisters at 11 stone. I had got myself down to 10'7 before my holidays, and Im now back at 11 stone. Im so frustrated, as I seem to gain weight so easily. I have a good fitness regime, and have just taken up kick-boxing. I ran Fri, Sat and Sunday of the weekend (8km each time) and still managed to put on 2 pounds.
    I am determined to stick to the following diet:
    5:2 with 500 calories per day, with the other 5 days being sugar and processed food free-zones. I have no problems during the week, but I fall down on the weekends. I have been reading through these threads and have realised I eat quite a lot of fruit, which is basically sugar. I also eat alot of yoghurts, so I may remove them from my diet. Im going to limit my carb intake also. I eat up to 4 eggs per day on this diet though-is that normal?

I don't think I could stomach 4 eggs every day, 2 maybe.
    Too much of anything is bad, everything in moderation is fine, that's the only way I can do it.

Breakfast is either 1) berries/chopped fruit with 2 big dollops of natural greek yogurt & a drizzle of honey. or 2) a slice of toast with peanut butter, 3) a slice of toast with either scrambled eggs or 2 poached eggs.

(the bread I have is the Low-GI bread from Aldi. I really like it, lots of seeds and nutty bits in it, small slices and I just like the taste so much better than usual breads).

Mid morning I have a piece of fruit.

Lunch is either 1) chicken or turkey (salvaged bits from a roast or from packets or deli, best quality I can get) with a salad, 2) Once a week Sausages &a slice of toast (not exactly clean but I have a 2yr old so I can't resist), 3) Slice of French toast. I have a small chocolate bar after (like a Roar bar from Aldi, there's about 2 bites in them). Sometimes lunch is just leftovers from the previous nights home made dinners.

Dinner is either Bolognese (homemade sauce with lots of veg & very small portion of pasta), Indian chicken curry (homemade, little rice), Thai green chicken curry (homemade, little rice), Chicken & broccoli pasta bake (my version is very calorific but my 2yr old absolutely loves this so... I aint making 2 dinners), homemade burgers, stir fry with lots of veg...

You get the picture. It's a lot easier when you can make your dinners from scratch. Get a good recipe and once you've cooked it maybe 3 times, it's like second nature. I do double batches of my sauces and freeze them.

A good source is bbc good foods website, you can see which recipes have highest ratings - a big thing for me is simple ingredients, there's no way the wee fella is getting dragged into lots of speciality shops looking for obscure items.

I have another small choc bar with my coffee in the evening.

Small/er portions, lots of veg & protein, try & make things from scratch.

I know what you mean about the weekends, I find it tougher as well as we are out and about and there's all sorts of food stalls and you want to have lots of treats while watching a movie, or out to dinner/cinema etc. I was really good last weekend and what I kept in mind is "I didn't just work my hole off in that workout last night to then go and ruin it just because I'm a bit peckish for a cup cake!" The craving passes.

At the same time, I do like to have a treat one of the weekend nights when we finally get around to watching a movie or something, can't deny it.

Haven't really lost more then about 3 lbs per the scales but my work slacks are now too baggy, they look ridiculous and I fit into a dress that I last wore when I was approx. 10lbs lighter.

Muscle most certainly weighs more than fat! I'd say I've nearly dropped a dress size at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Everybody seems to be doing so well, I'm in awe.
    I posted here before but nothing has changed since. I had a 4 week holiday away so eating out most of the time (all of the time!).
    I'll be back to work soon and things HAVE to change then. I've a wedding at Christmas and a dress that my boyfriend bought for me last Christmas that never fit and I WANT TO FIT INTO IT!
    Things I need to do:

Drink more water
    Exercise more
    Eat cleaner
    Cut down on the carbs

My boyfriend makes the dinner during the week as he's home before me so I don't get a huge amount of say but it's normally chicken stir fry, or chicken fajitas or chicken with pesto and pasta. I need to make sure I get smaller amounts of the rice/pasta on my plate, and more veg. Sometimes I cook lasagne. Every Friday I make homemade burgers and chips (that's our treat) but maybe the rest of the week is too 'treaty' anyway.

I found I was serving up same portions for my husband as for myself. Now we are around the same height but he's much broader than me, is heavier than me so I certainly don't need to be eating same amount as him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement