Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2015

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

on the subject of tobacco sponsorship, don't you think its a bit ironic that the world championship has been replaced by a bookies?? i mean they get rid of cigarette sponsorship on the grounds of its negative effect on health but yet gambling addiction is going through the roof esp in this age of the internet, they'll soon be a generation of people destitute because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

on the subject of tobacco sponsorship, don't you think its a bit ironic that the world championship has been replaced by a bookies?? i mean they get rid of cigarette sponsorship on the grounds of its negative effect on health but yet gambling addiction is going through the roof esp in this age of the internet, they'll soon be a generation of people destitute because of it

There already is a generation of destitute young gambling addicts, they can just keep it better hidden than substance addicts.. I know people who collect their dole and are broke before the racing starts due to "cartoon racing". There's a ticking time bomb among young gamblers these days that people seem reluctant to address..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

case885 wrote: »
    Its to do with popularity, having snooker on for large portions of the day will not suit the majority of BBC viewers whereas tennis is a more popular event. They cover most of the tournament on the red button which is FTA.

Yeah so it seems, I'd be interested to see the viewing figures for the Snooker and Wimbledon over the last few years.

They cover one match on the red button, the majority of the tournament there are two matches on together. So if coverage isn't on the main channel then only one match is available to view.

If they can't at least commit to having two red button feeds I don't think they deserve to have it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mdwexford wrote: »
    Yeah so it seems, I'd be interested to see the viewing figures for the Snooker and Wimbledon over the last few years.

They cover one match on the red button, the majority of the tournament there are two matches on together. So if coverage isn't on the main channel then only one match is available to view.

If they can't at least commit to having two red button feeds I don't think they deserve to have it at all.

They had every minute of every match for a number of years when the red button carried a few feeds.
    I believe there is some technical reason why they are now only able to carry one red button feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

mickdw wrote: »
    They had every minute of every match for a number of years when the red button carried a few feeds.
    I believe there is some technical reason why they are now only able to carry one red button feed.

Yeah I remember when you could select which match you wanted.

Interesting, seems strange all of a sudden there is a technical issue.
    Sky show multiple things on the red button no problem.

Actually just remembered to go back to Wimbledon yet again, for that they have about 5 feeds to select whatever match you want don't they.

Hmm guess not, only one red button feed for everything since October 2012 due to cost cutting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/bbcinternet/2012/10/red_button_changes.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I already miss the snooker

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

GeneralC wrote: »

Know the feeling, snooker blues always bad the Tuesday after the May bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

GeneralC wrote: »

Same here - suffering withdrawal symptoms all day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2015/5/2/hearns-2020-vision

Good article. Bit of a reality check, but maybe pragmatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Anyone for frames?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

elgriff wrote: »
    http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2015/5/2/hearns-2020-vision

Good article. Bit of a reality check, but maybe pragmatic

I'm surprised even that the second qualifying round loosers got £6,000. It is difficult for players ranked outside the top 32 to make a living from snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

There is an interview with the new World Champion tonight at 10pm on BBC2's Clare Balding show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Glenman wrote: »
    There is an interview with the new World Champion tonight at 10pm on BBC2's Clare Balding show.

Should be interesting.
    New life for Bingham I'd say.

Advertisement