Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Kelly Tour 2014 - no ticket requests - post #38 - see thread in Cycling adverts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

This is the forecast for Sunday from Accuweather, I've been out in worse tbh

Screen_Shot_2014_08_18_at_21_58_20.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

ashleey wrote: »
    It gets your heart rate up but you're right it's only 10 mins of torture. Just resist the temptation to tear it up as you turn to go up it and stay right to avoid getting trapped when lads start going backwards.

Lads going backwards down Tickincor on the left and the fast club racing up on the right ???
    Doesn't leave much room then....
    Suppose it saves walking up it and wearing out your cleats :D
    Been up it 3 times in the last few weeks...
    If you can survive the 1st km without having an asthma attack, you're over the worst bit...but it does have a 2nd little kick near the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

MT craniums forecast for Sunday from the weather forum...

SUNDAY ... Windy with periods of rain that may become heavy and thundery, southerly gales may develop with gusts to 80-100 km/hr especially active for the south coast. There is potential for 20-30 mm rainfalls. Lows near 12 C and highs near 18 C. The strong winds may ease late in the day except in south Leinster, veering westerly with a partial clearance overnight into Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Gavlor wrote: »
    MT craniums forecast for Sunday from the weather forum...

SUNDAY ... Windy with periods of rain that may become heavy and thundery, southerly gales may develop with gusts to 80-100 km/hr especially active for the south coast. There is potential for 20-30 mm rainfalls. Lows near 12 C and highs near 18 C. The strong winds may ease late in the day except in south Leinster, veering westerly with a partial clearance overnight into Monday.

That should make things interesting on the sections near the coast from Youghal to Dungarvan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Does any of the 100k and 160K share the same roads or are they kept totally seperate?

Looking at the 100k route it appears to be all South of Dungarvan towards Youghal, while the 160K heads and stays north of Dungarvan towards the Comeragh mountains

bazermc wrote: »
    Does any of the 100k and 160K share the same roads or are they kept totally seperate?

Looking at the 100k route it appears to be all South of Dungarvan towards Youghal, while the 160K heads and stays north of Dungarvan towards the Comeragh mountains

Separate routes bar the start and finish

Separate routes bar the start and finish

Cheers Gavlor, I have a few mates doing 100 and was hoping to cycle with them for a few a km. Strange they are kept seperate, you would have thought sharing certain parts of the route would cut down on the amount of marshalling needed

But I guess the numbers of cyclists would be too much

Cheers Gavlor, I have a few mates doing 100 and was hoping to cycle with them for a few a km. Strange they are kept seperate, you would have thought sharing certain parts of the route would cut down on the amount of marshalling needed

Yeah it's a numbers thing for foodstops & it's an open road event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

For the first few years they did just that, both routes shared road as far as Ballymacarbry (with exception of 160 climbing Seskin) with 160 entering Comeraghs with a left turn in Ballymac before emerging back on 100 route at Bearys cross after climbing Nire, Mahon and Mauma.

Old 100 was a pretty drab route

• Advertisement

Weather update according to Met Eireann at lunchtime today;

Persistent and locally heavy rain will spread from the Atlantic on Saturday night, reaching most parts early Sunday morning, with strong and gusty S to SE winds.

Sunday : Wet and windy at first, but brighter weather, with scattered showers, will extend from the southwest. Winds will veer southwesterly and ease.

Going to be touch and go lads!!! Will we miss the worst of it?
    Rain gear or not rain gear..that is the question....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Definitely rain gear. The only question is light rain jacket to be put into a pocket after a few hours, or heavy rain jacket to be worn all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm not really seeing any rain in the models... Looks quite ok actually but still a few days before its anyway certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

fits wrote: »
    I'm not really seeing any rain in the models... Looks quite ok actually but still a few days before its anyway certain.

Ah! The Michael Fish school of weather forecasting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnxjZ-aFkjs

I happened to be in the middle of that storm in southern UK in 1987 !!

Ah.... I can picture it now..Mahon Falls in driving rain and gale force winds...
    It might just add a bit of spice to the great occasion :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

lismore7 wrote: »
    I happened to be in the middle of that storm in southern UK in 1987 !!

Ah.... I can picture it now..Mahon Falls in driving rain and gale force winds...
    It might just add a bit of spice to the great occasion :eek:

They're now forecasting the rain and wind for Sunday afternoon/evening, so we might get away with it.

• Advertisement

Daithi BC wrote: »
    They're now forecasting the rain and wind for Sunday afternoon/evening, so we might get away with it.

Seems your right... fingers crossed!!

Met E forecast as per this morning:

Southeast winds will strengthen on Sunday and rain will spread in from the southwest during the afternoon and evening. The rain will be heavy and persist for much of Sunday night before turning showery on Monday. It'll stay unsettled and windy on Tuesday too with appreciable amounts of rain countrywide.

Anyone know what's the story if you want to start a little early rather than waiting for the big crowd. When do the food stops etc open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Hopefully it won't rain. Have a rain cape but would prefer not to have to carry it around all day. Will make a call before I roll out and live with the consequences .

ckeego wrote: »
    Ah! The Michael Fish school of weather forecasting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnxjZ-aFkjs

I hope not :D Sunday morning looks ok still. I check wetterzentrale.de

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Doing the SK for the first time and just wondering how the climbs compare to the W200.

Done the W200 a few times and it was always good to see the back of the Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot, though the climb out of Avoca is a sneaky bugger.

How do the SK climbs compare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Sammo13 wrote: »
    Doing the SK for the first time and just wondering how the climbs compare to the W200.

Done the W200 a few times and it was always good to see the back of the Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot, though the climb out of Avoca is a sneaky bugger.

How do the SK climbs compare?

done both- w200 feels easier as mountains are earlier and the last 25/30km is flat and usually finishes at a ferocious pace. SKT has probably same amount of climbing however there are long drags, especially near the end 2nd half. The website mentions that SKT 13km back to Dungarvan, is almost completely downhill. i didnt find that!

SKT; Average Pace 22kph
    Elevation Gain: 6,728 ft
    Elevation Loss: 6,735 ft
    Min Elevation: 5 ft
    Max Elevation: 1,347 ft

W200; Average Pace 24kph
    Elevation Gain: 7,585 ft
    Elevation Loss: 7,572 ft
    Min Elevation: 51 ft
    Max Elevation: 1,736 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

touts wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the story if you want to start a little early rather than waiting for the big crowd. When do the food stops etc open?

I started about 45mins earlier last year and all the food stops were staffed, there were quite a few on the road early. I think the main start also got off a bit later than planned, by about 30 minutes.

Do many lads head out before the official start on the SKT 160k?

Update on Sunday forecast at 21/08/14
    Sunday will start off dry in many areas with sunny spells. However, rain will develop in the southwest early on Sunday morning and will gradually spread northeastwards to all areas, becoming widespread during the afternoon. The rain will be heavy in many areas with localised flooding possible. Highest temperatures of 13 to 16 degrees with moderate to fresh southeast winds. The rain will gradually clear on Sunday night.

Oh dear....

lismore7 wrote: »
    Do many lads head out before the official start on the SKT 160k?

Update on Sunday forecast at 21/08/14
    Sunday will start off dry in many areas with sunny spells. However, rain will develop in the southwest early on Sunday morning and will gradually spread northeastwards to all areas, becoming widespread during the afternoon. The rain will be heavy in many areas with localised flooding possible. Highest temperatures of 13 to 16 degrees with moderate to fresh southeast winds. The rain will gradually clear on Sunday night.

Oh dear....
    Need to finsh by 1pm to avoid the rain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2960992

Anybody know what the jersey fit is like?

Is it typical Italian style where you need to go a couple sizes up, i.e normal L needs XXL.

Is there jerseys avaialble at sign on to quickly try on?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Anybody know what the jersey fit is like?

Is it typical Italian style where you need to go a couple sizes up, i.e normal L needs XXL.

Is there jerseys avaialble at sign on to quickly try on?

Cheers

Last year they had an area specifically for changing jersey sizes and there was no problem trying on sizes to fit, they were very accommodating in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Just wondering, is there anything stopping someone registered for the 100 to do the 160 instead?

Not to worry, seems you can switch on the day! Really looking forward to hitting the 160 now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Does anybody have a link to a profile for the 100k route??
    Just a map on the SKT site.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Does anybody have a link to a profile for the 100k route??
    Just a map on the SKT site.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/dungarvan-m/kelly-heritage-route-209293841

• Advertisement

eoin88 wrote: »
    Just wondering, is there anything stopping someone registered for the 100 to do the 160 instead?

Eoin, We may need to swap, I am registered for the 160 but starting to get cold feet and considering wimping out and doing the 100 :eek:

Need to finsh by 1pm to avoid the rain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2960992

Oh dear - 1pm is now 10am :(

Yeah not looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Will make the climbs even more " enjoyable"

Will def have to bring the rain gear now . Coming off mahon falls will be even more dangerous in the wet

SUNDAY: cloudy wet weather will become widespread over Munster and Connacht and will be heavy in places. Rain will affect remaining provinces later in the afternoon and through the evening. It will become windy on Sunday too, with fresh to strong and gusty southeast to southerly winds developing. Feeling cool, with highest temperatures of 13 to 16 C.

:( :eek:

Whats this about the Sunny South East?

It's sunny now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Whats this about the Sunny South East?

It has to rain when the lads come down for the Sean Kelly, just to con them into thinking it's as bad weather down here as the rest of the country. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I think I may have got my hands on an entry - yaay!

Quick Question: How does the transfer work in practice? Do I simply rock up end sign on under the name of the person from whom I got the entry?

• Advertisement

Ah, don't wuss out on us now!
    I got onto the organisers last night and it seems you can switch between the two on the morning anyway! Never mind that rain, it'll keep you from overheating on the climbs! :D
    Eoin, We may need to swap, I am registered for the 160 but starting to get cold feet and considering wimping out and doing the 100 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

I think I may have got my hands on an entry - yaay!

Quick Question: How does the transfer work in practice? Do I simply rock up end sign on under the name of the person from whom I got the entry?

There was a post on their facebook page in the last week saying: "If you are buying or selling an entry - the original participant needs to email us at info@theseankellytour.com to inform us of the new participant's details."
    The organisers will then email you with an updated entry.
    It took a few days for the organisers to get back with my updated entry.

Apologies: Just saw this on their facebook page from 2 days ago:
    IMPORTANT - with immediate effect we are not taking any more swaps or transfers via email or phone. PLEASE COME TO THE HELP DESK IN DUNGARVAN SPORTS CENTRE on Saturday between 12 & 8pm or on Sunday from 6.30 am. SKT Team

One more sleep to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

One more sleep to go

Excited much ? :)

listrybabe wrote: »
    Excited much ? :)

Terrified.

Will it or won't it rain..that is the question..
    It's mud gard decision time...
    Ah feck it, I'll put em on ..

• Advertisement

The jerseys are nice but they are tight! I'm a medium in most running/cycling tops but the large is even a bit snug.

Looking forward to the hardship tomoro!!

The jerseys are nice but they are tight! I'm a medium in most running/cycling tops but the large is even a bit snug.

Looking forward to the hardship tomoro!!

I know. I felt like the lad who ate all the pies having to go up a second time and ask "can I try the next size up".

Just found this route profile for the 160 from last year. At a quick glance, it seems to be the same route this year.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/dungarvan-m/the-kelly-comeragh-challenge-2013-route-256549539

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Absolutely lashing down for long while in Cork. Hope the weather is a bit more ok across Waterford way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

pelevin wrote: »
    Absolutely lashing down for long while in Cork. Hope the weather is a bit more ok across Waterford way.

Unfortunately it wasn't , we started the 100 Km early, 8.15ish to try and avoid the forecast rain, about 10 Km in a few drops hit us and by Cappoquin it was steady and strong. On we went and finished soaked thru (not a patch on the tour of Kilkenny though, my worst day ever on a bike). Organisation was flawless, sign in was grand, haven't tried the jersey on yet, no mediums but from what i heard the sizings are on the small side so i reckon the large should be close enough. The food stop went smoothly, few cups of scalding nearly got me warm again, kept going to the finish, it's the best way to keep warm on a day like today.
    Thanks to everyone involved in making to today happen, from the sponsors to the tea ladies but a special mention to the outdoor guys given the conditions, chapeau to you all. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement