Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this aggression "normal"? MOD WARNING: read post #219

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A long time ago a colleague of mine suggested that the only way to teach Irish drivers lane discipline on roundabouts would be a Gun enplacement operated by cyclists..

My father was a professional driver for years, he was disgusted by the driving skill/manner level of "professional" drivers in Ireland. If our supposed professional drivers often display no sense of intelligence or decency on the road what hope do regular road users have, what expectations are realistic?

I use the word manner for a reason, as it is my firm belief that it is our issue in Ireland, in some cases a lack of intelligence, in the majority, a lack of basic manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Mirrors would not work. The pillar is on my left. Also, anything attached would not last long. It would be ripped off in ten minutes.

Not unless the vandals have a ladder. The mirrors are generally mounted high enough to keep them out of reach of vandals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

It is in fact more than the pillar, it is the pillar and the garden and whole front wall in fact . When I exit I have to edge out and look sharp left. The hill means that the front wall gets bigger and bigger as you go up the hill making it impossible to see anybody until they are just there.
    Who gave planning permission for such an exit/entrance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Just back from a week in Munich, the respect that most road users have for each other is absolutely fantastic. This country is disgusting in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just back from a week in Munich, the respect that most road users have for each other is absolutely fantastic. This country is disgusting in comparison.

Much more comprehensive driver training in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I cycle a fair bit around the south Munich area. Most drivers are fine but there always a few who want to pass too close at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

Thanks for all your responses so far.

1. Tooting the horn I think might be the best option. It would be legal (?) ie warning of a danger ahead. Flashing the lights, would that be legal? Would it not distract passing cars?

2. The mirror? I am not sure how that would work. As I said the danger is to my left. Where could it be mounted? The pillar etc is all to my left. Logically, would I not need a mirror to my right? But that is not an option.

3. Planning permission? House was built in mid 1920s so I am not sure what PP was enforceable then.

Mirrors, planning permission and horns aside I am sure you have seen house entrances that are very dangerous if a foolish cyclist uses path and an accident happens. The blame is with the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Thanks for all your responses so far.

1. Tooting the horn I think might be the best option. It would be legal (?) ie warning of a danger ahead. Flashing the lights, would that be legal? Would it not distract passing cars?

2. The mirror? I am not sure how that would work. As I said the danger is to my left. Where could it be mounted? The pillar etc is all to my left. Logically, would I not need a mirror to my right? But that is not an option.

3. Planning permission? House was built in mid 1920s so I am not sure what PP was enforceable then.

Mirrors, planning permission and horns aside I am sure you have seen house entrances that are very dangerous if a foolish cyclist uses path and an accident happens. The blame is with the driver.

You need something like this, so that you can effectively see around the corner;
    http://www.trafficmirror.com/

Maybe even two of them, one for each side.

I don't think it is correct to say that the blame is with the driver. If someone is cycling on the path, they will share responsibility. There could always be pedestrians on the path, including families with small kids maybe, so you really need to be able to see your exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sounds like you might live on a small rural road ? Most people stick it on a pole or tree on the opposite side of the road if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

RainyDay wrote: »
    You need something like this, so that you can effectively see around the corner;

Maybe even two of them, one for each side.

I don't think it is correct to say that the blame is with the driver. If someone is cycling on the path, they will share responsibility. There could always be pedestrians on the path, including families with small kids maybe, so you really need to be able to see your exit.

Thanks for reply.

I always assumed the driver is at fault even if driver is not at fault-if you know what I mean!
    Wonder has any cyclist been hit by car in above circumstances and what happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement