Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SEAT EXEO

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

170BHP diesel for me if and when it becomes available.
    2010 I think ?
    Suits me fine as I will be changing then :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Cough *Bump* Cough

Was talking to a Seat dealer about this. Very little info so far, 1.6 and 2.0 L diesels confirmed and is due by mid Feb. Thats all I got though...

Hopefully we won't be getting the stone age 1.6.

There's no need for it as our tax system is designed to promote the purchase of low CO2 diesel/high tech petrol cars, not high CO2 cars with antiquated engine technology as found in the Exeo 1.6.

The reason the UK is only getting 2 diesels is because diesels are by far the most popular powerplant in this sector and the basic diesel has only 120 bhp, an option Seat knows wouldn't interest the Brits who actually like cars.

The base engine over there has 140 bhp, and with a bit of luck, that's what we'll get too.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

i'll say it will do well anyways, once word will get out that its the old A4, thats all people will think, "mmmmmmmmmmmmm A4 for Seat money" Wonder wat the c02 will be on there diesels, it will have to be price aggresivaly too now that the New Improve Octavia is here.... check picture.

also note the interior shot, the steering wheel is the same as the New Seat.... there all sharing parts within the VW Group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Can someone enlighten me as to what is so exciting about a car that was launched 8 years ago as a premium brand, and now is being re-launched in a most definately un-premium brand?

A lot of people seem to have missed that this car is based on the 01-07 Audi A4, not the current one.

Seat are going nowhere in this country, the fact that when Volkswagen Group Ireland was established at the start of this month and low and behold we find that Seat are not part of this speaks volumes about VAGs interest or rather the lack of it, in Seat.

The fact that the Volkswagen Group has decided that an eight year old chassis and an entry petrol engine quite possibly double that age is perfectly adequate for a car named "Exeo", which presumably is short for "executive" or words along those lines in Spanish confirms this lack of interest the Volkswagen Group has in Seat, especially when Skoda's Superb is based in the VW Passat and gets the latest direct injection petrol as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

E92 wrote: »
    Can someone enlighten me as to what is so exciting about a car that was launched 8 years ago as a premium brand, and now is being re-launched in a most definately un-premium brand?

A lot of people seem to have missed that this car is based on the 01-07 Audi A4, not the current one.

Seat are going nowhere in this country, the fact that when Volkswagen Group Ireland was established at the start of this month and low and behold we find that Seat are not part of this speaks volumes about VAGs interest or rather the lack of it, in Seat.

The fact that the Volkswagen Group has decided that an eight year old chassis and an entry petrol engine quite possibly double that age is perfectly adequate for a car named "Exeo", which presumably is short for "executive" or words along those lines in Spanish confirms this lack of interest the Volkswagen Group has in Seat, especially when Skoda's Superb is based in the VW Passat and gets the latest direct injection petrol as well.

All very true.Although when the news broke that the exeo would be based on the A4, i remember looking nto it.Apparently, after the mega-flop that was the toledo, seat felt they needed to get straight back into the game.Unfortunately, they did not have the time to create a new car from scratch which is why they used the a4.

I also remember reading that seat plan for the exeo to have a relatively short lifespan, in its current state, that is.The exeos replacement should'nt be any further than 2012 when it will be a seat in its own right.By then, seat hope the first exeo will have put them back on the map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

A lot of manufacturers are reusing existing platforms. New Golf in reality is using a platform from 2004. Laguna did the same. Thing these are updates to an existing model.

With the Exeo they are launching this as a brand new model in a different brand. They could have done a bit more than give the front and rear a lick and call it a new car. The side profile is still Audi and if I was a Audi owner I'd be pi55ed off over this car to be honest.

At least the Superb had a longer wheelbase than the B5 passat that it was based on.

I'll make a final judgement when I see it in the metal and see what the prices are like.

If this could be bought as a 2.0TDI 143ps with a nice spec for say 26-27k then it is very very tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Its does raise interesting issues to do with brand values. The 01-07 Audi was a good car to which many people aspired and did very well for Audi. Now we have it as a Seat, with a nicer dash (from the Cabrio), seemingly more refined now with lots of sound deadening and laminated glass, everything says it should be a BETTER car than the one that did so well for Audi. Yet we are all rather underwhelmed and dismissive, the reason being it is a Seat.

While I think it undermines Audis credibility as a premium marque anyone who can see past that will no doubt end up with a very good car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »

Well, the new Superb is now a 3 year old chassis. But the Irish do love their VAG's, so that's why they make much ado about this one. All those hypercar Golf GT TDI drivers really aspire to the 2.5 TDi Quattro A4, so maybe this will give them that for less!
    Also, I don't know why VW have ignored Seat. Skoda were more of a joke than Seat when they started out, you'd think it'd be less of a task to bring Seat to the fore, but they haven't. I'd also far prefer a Leon to an Octavia or Golf in the VAG range, so what does that say? Seat aren't marketed well in this country, never were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just checked out thread and thought first of all I was looking at a hyrbid type of Octavia but then after hearing about the A4 I realised its a horrible sting to me with my 06 Audi A4.

The interior is identical except for the round vents, steering wheel and left aspect radio.

The mirrors are different and the headlights are slightly different.

The rear clusters are similar in size not design.

Nice Knockers BTW. People still say knockers. If so, KNOCKERS!!

All in all, as it wont have the Audi rings It wont compete on market positioning. Its like the toyota lexus debacle with the Altezza and IS200. Both the same bodyshape but one a cheaper knock off of the other or vice versa.

• Advertisement

Here is my A4 interior

PICT0541.jpg

and here is the Seat interior

2010_seat_exeo_sedan_011-1001-950x673.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The Exeo is being marketed as a Mondeo competitor. Back in 2001 if you put the then newly launched Mondeo and A4 (on which the Exeo is based) side by side, the A4 was significantly smaller. If you got into each car, you would have noticed the difference in size even more, particularly in the back. The latest generation Mondeo is bigger still. It wasn't just the Mondeo, the old A4 was already smaller than most of the previous generation of D-segment cars, most of which have recently been replaced by larger models or have replacements imminent. If I was looking for a current model Ford comparable in size to the Exeo, I'd have to chose the Focus saloon. This is where the problem lies, the Exeo is a mismatch to the segment it's being marketed in.
    Other examples of cars marketed in the D segment that really weren't big enough but were supposed to compete on a high spec yet still value for money basis include the previous generation Seat Toledo (4 door Walter DaSilva styled version), the Fiat Marea, the Daewoo Nuberia, the Hyundai Lantra and Elantra. It reads like a who's who of depreciation timebombs.

All in all, as it wont have the Audi rings It wont compete on market positioning. Its like the toyota lexus debacle with the Altezza and IS200. Both the same bodyshape but one a cheaper knock off of the other or vice versa.
    Well, you're not quite right with the Altezza/IS200 comparision, as they're not a "knock off" of the other, in that case it's just that Japanese (rightly) have no weight on a badge, it's the car they look at, so it's just sold as an Altezza over there, where as here they had to stick a Lexus badge on it before people took it seriously.
    This is more like the Ford Fiesta / Mazda 121 comparison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Biro wrote: »
    This is more like the Ford Fiesta / Mazda 121 comparison!

Not really. The Ford Fiesta and Mazda 121 were sold at the same time. A better example would be the late 1980's Mazda 121
    mazda121.JPG
    later sold as a Kia Pride in the 1990's
    1897650740.jpg
    Or the mid 1980's Opel Kadette
    250px-
    later sold as a Daewoo Nexia in the 1990's
    3537483318.jpg

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Not really. The Ford Fiesta and Mazda 121 were sold at the same time. A better example would be the late 1980's Mazda 121
    mazda121.JPG
    later sold as a Kia Pride in the 1990's
    1897650740.jpg
    Or the mid 1980's Opel Kadette
    250px-
    later sold as a Daewoo Nexia in the 1990's
    3537483318.jpg
    Better again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

389060784_SU24g-O.jpg

• Advertisement

Check out the heads up display.

It has a full tank but can only do another 640km before the tank is empty.

Terrible. LOL

Advertisement