Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury In Skiing Accident

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Looks more like a rumor than anyting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when these types of speculative articles come out, we shouldn't heed it unless it's confirmed by Jean Francois Payen (Anaesthetist - Induced Schumacher in coma), Emmanuel Gay (Neurosurgeon - Carried out second operation to remove haematoma on left side of brain), Stephan Chabardes (Neurosurgeon - Carried out first operation (a decompressive craniectomy) to relieve Intra-Cranial Pressure and haematoma), Sabine Kehm (Manager and PR Officer), Corrina Schumacher (Wife), Rolf Schumacher (Father), Ralf Schumacher (Brother), Gerard Saillant (Surgeon, Friend of Schumacher. Helped with rehabilitation after broken leg in July 1999), or an OFFICIAL representative for the hospital. It's for the best and we won't get false information from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Apparently Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness", according to his agent/BBC Sport

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26885624

I know this doesn't mean he's going to recover but at least it gives some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Apparently Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness", according to his agent/BBC Sport

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26885624

I know this doesn't mean he's going to recover but at least it gives some hope.
    It means very little. With a brain injury, any progress is usually made rather quickly so although its looking like he will live, the chances of severe and permanent brain damage are fairly high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Surprised I didn't see this, his manage released a statement saying he is no longer in a coma and has left the hospital. That's a bit out of the blue and unexpected!

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24191/9350659/michael-schumacher-no-longer-in-a-coma-and-has-left-grenoble-hospital
    Michael Schumacher is no longer in coma and has left Grenoble Hospital, his manager has announced.

Schumacher has been a patient at the hospital for over five months following a skiing accident at the end of December in which he suffered severe head injuries. Schumacher's life is believed to have been saved by the helmet he was wearing at the time of the accident, which split in two upon impact.

It was announced at the end of January that the 'waking up progress' had begun in Schumacher's treatment, but a paucity of updates since then has prompted growing fears about his condition and hopes of a recovery.

However, in a heartening and unexpected announcement, it's been revealed that Schumacher is no longer in a coma at the hospital in the south of France and has been moved to an undisclosed location.

'Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma anymore,' a statement, released on Monday morning, read.

The news that the seven-times World Champion has left the facility is the first official update on the German's condition since April when it was reported that Schumacher was showing signs of 'consciousness and awakening'.

No fresh details about Michael's condition have been supplied, with the latest statement adding: 'For the future we ask for understanding that his future rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye.'

The statement in full
    'Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma anymore. His family would like to explicitly thank all his treating doctors, nurses and therapists in Grenoble as well as the first aiders at the place of the accident, who did an excellent job in those first months. The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes to Michael. We are sure it helped him. For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye.'

More to follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I really, really hope the media will respect his privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Fiolina wrote: »
    I really, really hope the media will respect his privacy.

Agree totally with you.

However I would be surprised if there isn't one scumbag who won't respect their wishes. They have printed lots before this that they shouldnt of done. But then there are people who buy these papers/magazines to see these photos and they have to accept some of the responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Two years working in a brain injury care home has sadly taught me that "not in a coma" means very little. There are 15 official stages of consciousness and a lot of the clients there (some of whom had had ski-ing accidents or similar) were not remotely conscious in a laymans sense of the word, just responding to stimuli enough to no longer meet a medical definition of coma*. I hope it isn't the case this time, as it could be awful for families who didn't understand and thought it meant recovery, then were crushed when there was so little meaningful change:(

*e.g. The awfully named Persistent Vegetative State, or Minimally Conscious State were two of the lower-end categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Semele wrote: »
    Two years working in a brain injury care home.

Tough job, one i don't think I could do, you have my utmost respect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I doubt he is ina very good way yet, maybe he won't be? They have little reason to not let people know if there is very good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

(Reuters) - GoPro Inc's shares fell as much as 16 percent on Monday after a French journalist suggested that Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher's injuries in a ski accident last year might have been caused by a wearable camera made by the company.

"The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the GoPro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain," Jean-Louis Moncet told radio station Europe 1 over the weekend.

The company's shares ended down 9.8 percent at $76.67 on the Nasdaq on Monday. Up to Friday's close, the stock had nearly quadrupled in value since the company listed on June 26.

Shares of other wearable camera makers also fell, with Digital Ally Inc closing 12.9 percent lower at $10.41 and Taser International Inc ending 3.2 percent down at $13.61.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/13/us-gopro-stocks-idUSKCN0I226D20141013

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Any actual updates on how Schuey is doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Advertisement