Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Dublin is hardly a reasonable comparison to Galway in all fairness. I would have assumed that most commuters in Dublin head towards the city centre from the suburbs for work whereas in Galway most people go from suburb to suburb or from city centre to suburb. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

I would think a lot of people work in the industrial areas on the west side of the city - Naas Road, Long Mile Road, Nangor Road, etc. There are huge areas of industrial estates around that part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I would think a lot of people work in the industrial areas on the west side of the city - Naas Road, Long Mile Road, Nangor Road, etc. There are huge areas of industrial estates around that part of Dublin.

Not only are you spot on, it should be noted that a _lot_ of these people find the public transport options on offer to them to be extremely ill-suited to their commute.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

mackerski wrote: »
    Not only are you spot on, it should be noted that a _lot_ of these people find the public transport options on offer to them to be extremely ill-suited to their commute.

But these areas have had bus lanes retrofitted, even where the public transport options as seen to be focused on serving the city centre and not the local / radial commutes.

In Galway the suggestion is to serve the radial commutes and only put in bus lane etc for that reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Suburb to suburb public transport connections in Dublin are very poor and are based largely on a system of into-city, transfer, out of city routing.

There are large numbers of barely used bus-lanes in the suburbs, where there are no reliable frequent fast bus services and sometimes no service al all.

The only decent transport option connecting areas outside the City Council area is the M50.

It I want to travel to Ballymun from the SE of the city the M50 is 45 minutes to an hour quicker than any other option, even at rush hour - because the city streets are even more congested than the M50 ever gets.

Is Galway likely to achieve a better result in the absence of the Bypass if everything, public and private, including bypass traffic, is forced through the city centre?

Can't see it happening. By the time the two Luas lines are joined up in 2018 we'll have spent 20 years building a rudimentary system serving a very limited catchment area - even adding in the DART and the commuter lines there is nothing like the grid system you see in London or most of the major European cities.

And orbital motorway systems are available in all those cities which have centres well serviced by public transport.

The anti-Galway bypass arguments are largely advocating a stand-alone public transport solution that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Is Galway likely to achieve a better result in the absence of the Bypass if everything, public and private, including bypass traffic, is forced through the city centre?

The Quincentenary Bridge route is not the city.

Can't see it happening. By the time the two Luas lines are joined up in 2018 we'll have spent 20 years building a rudimentary system serving a very limited catchment area - even adding in the DART and the commuter lines there is nothing like the grid system you see in London or most of the major European cities.

Dublin sure does need better, but it would not be sustainable for it to have a network the design of a city with a population the size of London. Not sure what this has to do with Galway which would never be served by such a network, bus and tram is for that most part what public transport you'd expect for a city of Galway's size.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »

Dublin sure does need better, but it would not be sustainable for it to have a network the design of a city with a population the size of London. Not sure what this has to do with Galway which would never be served by such a network, bus and tram is for that most part what public transport you'd expect for a city of Galway's size.

I'm not remotely suggesting Dublin needs a metro the size of London's. What it does need is a grid system (scaled appropriately) combined with a rapid system of public transport from suburb to suburb as well as to and from the city centre.

Currently it only has rapid public transport from suburbs to the centre along a small number of light and heavy rail lines and a couple of effective QCBs.

The M50 is what saves it from complete gridlock.

What has that to do with Galway and specifically the proposed bypass?

What Galway needs is a scaled down version of the European solutions - which will require public transport, but also vitally an outer-suburb linking motorway bypass.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm hoping the N6 Galway bypass/ring road does a job. The M50 is an excellent example but I hope it's managed better than the Cork, Limerick and Waterford bypasses.

The N40 in Cork has the issue of a) the Dunkettle interchange and b) subpar junctions causing issues (e.g. no access to N40E at Douglas and no access from N40W at Douglas causing more strain on the Bloomfield interchange). Dunkettle is beyond a joke and would not be tolerated if it was in Dublin

Both the N25 and N18 in Limerick/Waterford have tolls on them meaning that a good share of traffic that would be taken out of the city (effectively fulfilling the purpose of the ringroad/bypass) still uses the city because they're too stingy to pay the toll.

If a bypass/ringroad is being built it may as well be utilised to take all the traffic it can out of the city and free up the city streets. A toll on the M9 would be much better for Waterford than a toll on the N25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Suburb to suburb public transport connections in Dublin are very poor and are based largely on a system of into-city, transfer, out of city routing.

There are large numbers of barely used bus-lanes in the suburbs, where there are no reliable frequent fast bus services and sometimes no service al all.

The anti-Galway bypass arguments are largely advocating a stand-alone public transport solution that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Good points. You are cutting to the core of the overall problem, which is evident in Dublin as it is in Galway. Of course our westernmost city is tiny compared to the capital, but the issues are still the same.

If there are no reliable public transport services, or no services at all, it is because of planning and policy failures over decades.

A new expressway in Galway is therefore a very expensive monument to those planning failures, because it is entirely focused on providing a solution based on private individual transport.

So you are confirming my earlier point: that the purpose of the proposed expressway is to dodge the need to plan, develop and run a reliable and efficient public transport service. In our state of extended post-colonial adolescence we are able to build shiny new roads but we are still not mature enough to develop an integrated public transport system providing a high Level of Service to commuters.

ARUP's project manager for the expressway recently declared on local radio in Galway that "we can't keep building more roads" and indicated that in terms of modal switch they are targeting "people who are driving two kilometres and that". I don't know what she means by the first comment, because she's being paid to do the exact opposite, but her second remark suggests to me that there is no intention to develop a comprehensive and integrated public transport solution that will provide a high Level of Service for cross-town commuters.

The anti-expressway arguments (from people whose homes, properties and neighbourhoods are not directly affected) in Galway are largely advocating that the project is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. For one thing, the congestion problem largely disappears when the schools are off. This is a well-recognised phenomenon, and is another manisfestation of the planning failures that have left the city without proper school transport for decades.

The anti-expressway arguments are not advocating a stand-alone public transport solution. Rather, such arguments are saying that if public transport was massively improved, and if the existing road network was used much more efficiently, then €500 million might not have to be spent on an expressway, or could be spent on an entirely different transport project.

The anti-expressway arguments are saying that in political terms the project is bypassing policy imperatives to provide passenger transport for the mobility of people, in favour of infrastructure to facilitate the mobility of private vehicles.

The observation that public transport is very poor is not a valid argument in favour of more roads and more private transport, it is an argument in favour of better public transport. And that is the real debate at the heart of this ongoing controversy.

What Galway needs is a scaled down version of the European solutions - which will require public transport, but also vitally an outer-suburb linking motorway bypass.

I think the scale of London's system is so out of whack of anything in Ireland that there are closer examples scale wise, even if you want to argue for a motorway bypass.

The problem is that a motorway bypass isn't justified by any end location west of Galway.

The M50 is what saves it from complete gridlock.

No, it has not. It combined with the motorways leading into it have driven more traffic into and around the city within the M50. What has saved Dublin and kept the city functioning is public transport and other sustainable modes. The areas very much so mainly depending on the M50 are going to suffer more and more as the M50 -- not for the first time -- reaches nearer and and near to max on more sections.

So, if you copy Dublin's M50 it's good times for a while until things get worse. Copying it without a QBN, tram or train services and you're asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Quincentenary Bridge route is not the city.
    The route falls within the Galway City Council boundary and comes within a 1km walk (less, as the crow flies) of Eyre Square. I cannot see how that statement could possibly be correct.

• Advertisement

The route falls within the Galway City Council boundary and comes within a 1km walk (less, as the crow flies) of Eyre Square. I cannot see how that statement could possibly be correct.

Sorry: It should have said not in the city centre.

It was in reply to Schadenfreudia who said public and private traffic, including bypass traffic, is forced through the city centre. His quote is in full in my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    If there are no reliable public transport services, or no services at all, it is because of planning and policy failures over decades.

The observation that public transport is very poor is not a valid argument in favour of more roads and more private transport, it is an argument in favour of better public transport. And that is the real debate at the heart of this ongoing controversy.

The NTA refused a bus operator a license to run a 15 min headway service on Seamus Quirke road in 2012.

If its national policy to prevent better public transport, then better roads seems an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Sorry: It should have said not in the city centre.

It was in reply to Schadenfreudia who said public and private traffic, including bypass traffic, is forced through the city centre. His quote is in full in my last post.
    The point still stands. Lots of people going from East to West are being forced through city streets that they have no business being on. Nothing the anti-bypass brigade posted would change that.
    The problem is that a motorway bypass isn't justified by any end location west of Galway.
    Perhaps. But Motorway regulations are required to protect such a bypass from inappropriate development, plus the long distance nature of the movements to be catered for (e.g. Dublin to Clifden/Connemara etc) mean that a standard of road suited to long distance journeys - and motorways are best for long distance travel - is appropriate.
    No, it has not. It combined with the motorways leading into it have driven more traffic into and around the city within the M50. What has saved Dublin and kept the city functioning is public transport and other sustainable modes. The areas very much so mainly depending on the M50 are going to suffer more and more as the M50 -- not for the first time -- reaches nearer and and near to max on more sections.
    Ok, so before the M50 was built, how would a person have driven from Wicklow to (for example) Swords? That's right, they'd have to drive through city streets, most likely the city centre streets, Westmoreland, O'Connell St. etc.

This idea that there would be less traffic jams if only fewer roads were built is nonsense. I remember watching a Top Gear special where the boys were challenged to a road trip through an African country, including (unavoidably, presumably the country did not have the money for a 1st world road network including bypasses) passing through its capital city. It took them a full day to do this, so bad was the traffic.
    So, if you copy Dublin's M50 it's good times for a while until things get worse. Copying it without a QBN, tram or train services and you're asking for trouble.
    Actually it still is if you are using the M50 as it was originally intended, as a bypass. Such traffic occurs at all times of the day and night, including much of it outside the peak. The only caveat of course is that if you do need to bypass all or most of Dublin and you hit the M50 at the wrong time you will be stuck in the rush. The rest of the time it's fine.

I for one use the M50 regularly and have never been stuck in traffic. It's a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The main problem with the M50 is that it has facilitated the mass decentralisation of employment. Often to areas or in a manner that is difficult to service by public transport. Meaning that access to these decentralised jobs is dependent on owning a car. This leaves out many people from accessing these jobs.

Similar is the case for retail decentralisation. When retail dentralises, people become dependent on driving in order to do their shopping. This disproportionately affects low income people negatively. Car ownership is lowest among the poor.

Economic (employment, retail, and residential) decentralisation disfavours the poor. High capacity suburban roads facilitate economic decentralisation.

The NTA refused a bus operator a license to run a 15 min headway service on Seamus Quirke road in 2012.

If its national policy to prevent better public transport, then better roads seems an option.

I'm not going into the details here, because it's the wrong forum perhaps, but what I heard was that the operator could not guarantee a 15-minute service and so was given a licence for a 30-minute service, subject to review. I'm open to correction on that, but you'd think that in three years some progress might have been made. The reality, however, is that there are now two bus routes along the Seamus Quirke Road (BE and City Direct). TBH I don't know whether their timetables complement each other, but in theory they could provide a combined 15-minute headway.

You are definitely on to something with your second point. It is perhaps much easier, politically and ideologically, to pursue a market-driven rather than a planning-driven transport 'solution'. Unfortunately that makes the proposed expressway look even more like a developer-led scheme than it already is.

Aard wrote: »
    The main problem with the M50 is that it has facilitated the mass decentralisation of employment. Often to areas or in a manner that is difficult to service by public transport. Meaning that access to these decentralised jobs is dependent on owning a car. This leaves out many people from accessing these jobs.

I don't agree. Take the local Sandyford Industrial Estate - it expanded to almost it's current size before the M50 was built; the traffic chaos, bad enough at peak hours today, was vastly worse 10 years ago before the M50 Southern Cross opened.

And getting from here to the Naas Road (for travel to all places now served by the M7,8,9) was an hour long nightmare much of the day.

It is perhaps much easier, politically and ideologically, to pursue a market-driven rather than a planning-driven transport 'solution'. Unfortunately that makes the proposed expressway look even more like a developer-led scheme than it already is.

that's because "planning driven solutions" have proved disastrous in many contexts!

A sensible planning "solution" cannot ignore market considerations and must be largely guided by them.

Otherwise we get the "bridges to nowhere" results, like the Ennis - Galway railway line.

I don't agree. Take the local Sandyford Industrial Estate - it expanded to almost it's current size before the M50 was built; the traffic chaos, bad enough at peak hours today, was vastly worse 10 years ago before the M50 Southern Cross opened.

And getting from here to the Naas Road (for travel to all places now served by the M7,8,9) was an hour long nightmare much of the day.

A new road will buy you time, but that's all it does. It can not, and will not, provide a sustainable solution to the problem of traffic congestion. As an urban population grows, a certain amount of congestion has to be accepted, perhaps, whether on public transport or on roads. However, it's a fool's game to continue with "predict and provide" policies favouring private transport.

Perhaps that's what ARUP's Associate Director was thinking when she declared that "we can't keep on building more roads." I just wish she'd thought of it sooner...

that's because "planning driven solutions" have proved disastrous in many contexts!

A sensible planning "solution" cannot ignore market considerations and must be largely guided by them.

Otherwise we get the "bridges to nowhere" results, like the Ennis - Galway railway line.

I'm sure there's a thread on that somewhere. When I say planning I mean public policy based on evidence, rational thought, foresight, sustainability, the common good etc. I don't mean "Planning", which is a different animal entirely in the Irish context.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Similar is the case for retail decentralisation. When retail dentralises, people become dependent on driving in order to do their shopping. This disproportionately affects low income people negatively. Car ownership is lowest among the poor.

Economic (employment, retail, and residential) decentralisation disfavours the poor. High capacity suburban roads facilitate economic decentralisation.

It is worse than that.

Once decentralisation starts, it encourages more decentralisation and results in the hollowing out of town centres such that they die economically. In many UK towns, the centres of small towns consist on just charity shops, the odd bank and vacant sites.

This is happening in Dun Laoghaire.

A new road will buy you time, but that's all it does. It can not, and will not, provide a sustainable solution to the problem of traffic congestion. As an urban population grows, a certain amount of congestion has to be accepted, perhaps, whether on public transport or on roads. However, it's a fool's game to continue with "predict and provide" policies favouring private transport.

Perhaps that's what ARUP's Associate Director was thinking when she declared that "we can't keep on building more roads." I just wish she'd thought of it sooner...

Well, this one has bought 10 years and counting....!

As for "predict and provide" that hardly applies to an area that was choking with traffic before the M50 arrived. The M50 was more a "don't predict and panic" solution.

"Sustainable" is the most abused word in the English language, it means nothing in most of the contexts in which it is used today.

If we have another economic collapse the M50 will be good for another 20 years.

Ironically in this context the notion of "sustainable" is locked into continued economic growth and continued increase in oil consumption.

If either fails to materialise then the M50 solution will be sustained indefinitely :)

• Advertisement

Sandyford is indeed not a terrible example of decentralised employment. It is worth taking into account that it has become hugely "mixed use" over the past 10-15 years. This means that people can live and work in close proximity to each other. Sandyford of course is also on arguably the best public transport corridor in the country. It's also not particularly isolated from its surrounding area -- compared to say HP, IBM, Ballycoolin, or Grange Castle.

I'm not suggesting that Sandyford is a model of urban development. But it really is unique in Ireland in how it has rapidly transitioned from mono-use industry to mixed use residential/hightech/medical/retail. In many ways it acts as a secondary CBD for the city unlike anywhere else.

Back to Galway, and there is a huge tract along the Tuam Road out to Ballybrit of largely mono-use land. If this area can "pull a Sandyford", as it were, then more power to it. However, what is more likely to happen come the new road is further decentralisation of people and employment on previously-undeveloped land. This will ultimately increase travel distances in Galway in the medium term, with the associated economic drag.

An integrated landuse and transport strategy for the city and its periphery could help mitigate such negative impacts of a new high-capacity suburban road. However I haven't seen any moves to do prepare such a strategy, and I highly doubt it's on anybody's (Galway City, County, NTA, Arup, central government...) radar.

Believe me, no planner supports that project. It was entirely politically motivated. Planning = evidence based. Not necessarily "planned by the government"!

It is worse than that.

Once decentralisation starts, it encourages more decentralisation and results in the hollowing out of town centres such that they die economically. In many UK towns, the centres of small towns consist on just charity shops, the odd bank and vacant sites.

We are going way off topic here but the decline in DL is precisely because, despite being well served by radial train/bus routes it has systematically blocked off attempts to give better road access to the Town centre.

Even before the M50 and Dundrum SC it was easier for me to drive to Bray or Tallaght to do bulky shopping (like weekly groceries) than going to DL.

The fact that the M50/luas has made non-DL options even easier, DL has been dying for 30 years.

Killed by it own Nimbyism.

It is worse than that.

Known as "doughnutting" I believe. And then you get nutters, such as that journalist fella, blaming the inevitable consequences on parking charges and parking law enforcement.

Here in Galway there's a Labour TD who apparently believes parking is an important support for the city-centre retail sector, even as a €500 million "bypass" is being planned, supposedly to take cars out of city. To say there's a lack of joined-up thinking is to be charitable through cliche.

Well, this one has bought 10 years and counting....!

If Galway's new €500 million expressway buys us another, say, 20 years, then that's €25 million per year. TTBOMK there is no plan to provide that much funding for public transport, even in one year. Certainly such sums have never been spent in the past.

Here in Galway there's a Labour TD who apparently believes parking is an important support for the city-centre retail sector, even as a €500 million "bypass" is being planned, supposedly to take cars out of city. To say there's a lack of joined-up thinking is to be charitable through cliche.

It is only an example of un-joined-up thinking if it is the same TD who is advocating a bypass to take shoppers out of town and carparks to facilitate them down town.

I would be astonished if any TD, even a Labour one, was proposing both things ;)

It is of course absolutely rational to propose a bypass to take through traffic out of the City, to facilitate suburb to suburb connectivity and still want to facilitate shoppers in the centre with car parks.

No dots unjoined...

It is only an example of un-joined-up thinking if it is the same TD who is advocating a bypass to take shoppers out of town and carparks to facilitate them down town.

I would be astonished if any TD, even a Labour one, was proposing both things ;)

It is of course absolutely rational to propose a bypass to take through traffic out of the City, to facilitate suburb to suburb connectivity and still want to facilitate shoppers in the centre with car parks.

No dots unjoined...

It depends on what you mean by "joined-up" and "thinking", perhaps.

In NRA-land, for example, there is no contradiction in declaring that "we can't keep on building more roads", while proposing to spend €500 million doing exactly that.

In business-as-usual-land, it is absolutely joined-up to declare that "we need a facility to remove traffic that doesn't need to traverse the city itself, if we are to facilitate the smoother flow of cars that actually do need to be in the heart of town."

And in Councillor-land a "bypass" is needed for Galway so that motorists who are currently bypassing Galway will stop bypassing Galway.

The only thing joining those dots is an unshakeable belief that "car park" and "city" are reciprocal terms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Was at the public consultation this evening. There were a series of posters dealing with public transport - basically we're going to do lots of surveys, identify what's best way to create a modal shift, and see if they are feasible. No mention of funding.

There was a video flypast of the preferred route (Autodesk I think) that will be uploaded to the website later this week - nearly everyone there was shocked at the scale when shown that way. There was also a guy operating the Autodesk software on a pc, you could ask to zoom in on specific areas and look at it from all angles etc.

A lot of affected homeowners there, some very sad stories of elderly people with nowhere to go. Funny how they can tunnel under a racecourse but they go through people's houses...

When you say "shocked at the scale", do you refer to the width of the land-take for the new road?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

When you say "shocked at the scale", do you refer to the width of the land-take for the new road?

Both width and the height of the embankment for parts of the road, size of junctions, etc - I guess it's difficult for people to assess it on a two-dimensional paper map but when you see it on a computer simulation you really get a better impression. They had it projected on a large screen so maybe it just seemed bigger... will be up on the website, presumably later this week after the public consultation finishes, going on previous consultations.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed the land take for these types of roads can be impressive. When most people hear "x" metres wide and the likes, it's fairly meaningless. Whereas when shown a visualisation it can really hammer home just how massive these projects are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement