Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicken drumsticks

• 20-02-2014 12:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

Fifty grams of protein in two of them. Huge calorie amounts too. Ok they are a bit greasy.
    Without skin are they the greatest food out there for adding good weight or am I doing it wrong.
    I eat 4 a day for breakfast and Im ready to eat again in an hour because the dont fill you atall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

jane82 wrote: »
    Fifty grams of protein in two of them. Huge calorie amounts too. Ok they are a bit greasy.
    Without skin are they the greatest food out there for adding good weight or am I doing it wrong.
    I eat 4 a day for breakfast and Im ready to eat again in an hour because the dont fill you atall.

dunno about 50g of protein in two of them.
    myfitnesspal has 1 without skin as 13g protein and 5g fat - 105cals

100g of chicken breast is about 30grams of protein.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

dunno about 50g of protein in two of them.
    myfitnesspal has 1 without skin as 13g protein and 5g fat - 105cals

100g of chicken breast is about 30grams of protein.
    Its on the nutritional info on the box here. Maybe I can sue tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Remember you're not eating most of the drumstick as well. You probably need to weigh the amout of chicken actually eaten.

But the pack specifically says 2 average drumsticks cooked with no skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think the pack is lying to you. 50g of protein for two drumsticks sounds optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Surely they cant lie about it.
    Tesco an lidl one have pretty much the same info on pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think this is the OP is going off:

chicken_drums.jpg

The figures look a bit suss in the scaling up from 100g with skin

chicken_drums.jpg

Exactly. Seems I was wrong. 56 grammes protein. Thats why my guns are slightly bigger than I thought they should be.

If uncooked 10 weigh 1kg (I see 11 in the pic but bear with me anyway) then cooked they will be lighter. So no way two of them will weigh 225g.

• Advertisement

chicken_drums.jpg

100g raw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Surely they cant lie about it.
    See the word "typical", in the marketing school they teach you this must go before your lies.

I have seen these packs some have a lot more smaller ones some have just a few large ones.

The pack shows 11, the weight of 1 with skin removed is supposedly 112.5g, so even if this claimed weight was skin on it would be over 1kg.

The full chickens are usually better value.

What are safest ways to make a full chicken last?.
    2 legs 2 wings breakfast.
    2 breasts lunch and dinner?
    Is there anymore on it?

Would you not buy a pack of chicken breasts? Butchers usually have them on offer if you bulk buy. Wrap them in twos and threes and freeze them.

As for the whole chicken - take as much meat off the bones and make curry or something - (you didnt mention the olives, I think theyre called, on the underside), and boil the carcass for stock.

Oryx wrote: »
    Would you not buy a pack of chicken breasts? Butchers usually have them on offer if you bulk buy. Wrap them in twos and threes and freeze them.

As for the whole chicken - take as much meat off the bones and make curry or something - (you didnt mention the olives, I think theyre called, on the underside), and boil the carcass for stock.
    I do eat breasts but they have to be the most tasteless meat ever. I suppose dowseing them in curry helps.
    I need to start meal planning better. Do a huge sunday cook and freeze.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Looking at it what they have done is just taken the weight of two typical drumsticks and multiplied that by the nutrition per 100g values.

They are assuming that there is 225g of edible meat on 225g of drumsticks..

I'd say you would be lucky to get 100g of meat on two drumsticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What are safest ways to make a full chicken last?.
    2 legs 2 wings breakfast.
    2 breasts lunch and dinner?
    Is there anymore on it?
    The breasts on full chickens tend to be a lot bigger than your standard "10 for a tenner" breasts which are 120-140g. This can skew peoples idea of how good value a full chicken is.
    I do eat breasts but they have to be the most tasteless meat ever.
    I used to roast a full chicken, let it cool and tear off all the meat and mix it up, I did not like the dryness of breast, nor the fattiness of the other bits, a mixture is perfect for me.

Recently I cut the breasts off one and cooked separate. I threw the entire leftovers into a pressure cooker and made it into a soup/stew type thing. If doing again I would probably not put the skin in. The meat just falls off, I never really liked the task of picking at a chicken.

Advertisement