Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will drive alongside Alonso at McLaren in 2015.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Kevin Magnussen
    Delighted at the news that Button is staying. Pity it took them this long to come to the right decision, but at least they got there in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Delighted for Button, but I feel sorry for KMag, at least when they dumped Perez they did so early enough for him to find another seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Kevin Magnussen
    Delighted for Button, but I feel sorry for KMag, at least when they dumped Perez they did so early enough for him to find another seat.

Because Whitmarsh knew it was the right thing to do. Ron is not so human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I thought it would only be a one year deal for Button but apparently it is a multi year deal and a big paycut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Kevin Magnussen
    In both Alonso and button's cases I'm sure "multi year" means 1 year with options on others, to see just how crap the Honda engine is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

KMag

You watch F1 on Sky, don't you? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Apparently Button only signed the contract last night, so it really did take that long to make a decision. Ron said they'd signed Alonso ages ago but wanted to hold off and announce the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I bet Button was tempted to say, "Give me few weeks to think about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Delighted for Button, I wonder will he have to give Magnason a seat for one or two races? Bit sad for Magnason, he's a bit to good to be sidelined, I hope it doesn't put a halt to his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I can't see the Button-Alonso partnership ending well.

• Advertisement

I can't see the Button-Alonso partnership ending well.

Why do you say that? They're both mature drivers who know how to win and develop a car. I think they'll work well together as they seem to have a good amount of respect for each other on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Kevin Magnussen
    Button is a solid team player, but does Alonso have No. 1 driver status, and did Jenson disagree with becoming a No. 2 to Alonso? Perhaps because he was refusing this was why it dragged out so long? But then again, that might not explain why he had the long face, not Alonso :P but Button, during his last race weekend!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Kevin Magnussen
    Jenson would have walked id say if they pushed him to sign a number 2 driver contract. Mclaren have not generally operated in that way anyway.

mickdw wrote: »
    Jenson would have walked id say if they pushed him to sign a number 2 driver contract. Mclaren have not generally operated in that way anyway.

James Allen has a good related article on his site. In 2007 it was the rookie driver who started to challenge for the title, and McLaren threw their weight behind Hamilton and not Alonso...and we all know what happened next. I'd say Alonso was slightly wary of McLaren doing the same thing if Magnussen was to start getting serious about a title challenge and getting too big for his boots, whereas Jenson knows his place and lets his driving do the talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Kevin Magnussen
    astrofluff wrote: »
    Button is a solid team player, but does Alonso have No. 1 driver status, and did Jenson disagree with becoming a No. 2 to Alonso?

Well, Alonso is reportedly being paid £25.5m a year, while Buttons pay got cut to under £6m (and is only on a 1 year contract), if that's anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Kevin Magnussen
    ^^^ Interesting!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Zcott wrote: »
    Why do you say that? They're both mature drivers who know how to win and develop a car. I think they'll work well together as they seem to have a good amount of respect for each other on the track.

"Mature" and "Alonso" don't belong in the same sentence. The Spaniard is infamous for throwing his toys out of the pram as soon as things don't go his way and getting into political messes, often with disastrous effects on the teams he drives for - not to mention for himself. Had he let his driving do the talking in 2007, he'd have at least 3 championships under his belt.

I won't go into detail, but in Italy it is a given he was instrumental in the firing of Aldo Costa in 2011.

Button, as underrated as he might be, is one of the most effective drivers on the grid. He isn't flamboyant, he isn't blindingly fast, but he delivers. He has previous Honda working relationships, which may come in handy.

Both Alonso and Button were evenly matched with Hamilton; If nothing unpredictable happens next year (e.g. car suiting one more than the other, team favouring one, either forgetting how to drive etc.), they should be close, which would be good for McLaren - as they potentially have the two most consistent scorers on the field.

Now, how good the Honda engine will be is a big question mark. I frankly expect a disaster, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Advertisement