Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Women are inherently programmed to be gold-diggers

124»

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymoney
    On a scale of 1 to 10, Id still give Mary Harney one
    I hope you have Private Health Insurance for that.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

asdasd wrote: »
    Where's the bizzare logic. You linked to the wiki page on people giving social desirable answers - since being a gold-digger is not socially desirable I dismissed the argument.
    No, you dismissed my very valid argument because of your assumption that the person knew that the focus of the research was to compare wealth with sexual pleasure. You don't know how the questions were phrased, what questions were asked etc and so you cannot comment on which aspect of social desirability was involved.

There is also the "warm glow" effect whereby the participant tells the researcher what s/he thinks the researcher wants to hear. I could go on. With these sort of pseudo-scientific studies is that the researchers starts out with a theory that they want to prove. The idea that scientist are somehow void of emotions or values is risible.

And there are a million and one ways to skew the question, answers and stats. There's a reason for the phrase "Lies, damn lies and statistics".
    As for the "we can't accept self-reporting" we would need to ignore census results. The people involved self answered questions on a form, like a census. The results were private. why can we not trust it again?
    Social desirability bias is less of an issue in the census because:
    -the person is not face-to-face with the researcher
    -census information is not as sensitive or taboo as the other issues
    -the importance of the Census is very strongly stressed in the media and most individuals are aware that this data is used by government agencies in making predictions for growth.

Not even the CSO would claim that the Census is 100% accurate but we use it because it's the best we have.
    It never ceases to amaze me how people will come up with the most convoluted logic, just so that they can grasp, with their fingertips, onto their idea of how things should be.

At least try and come up with your own words - Jesus, ever heard of being original and using your own brain to, y'know make up sentences? Never mind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

What? :\
    If our cognitive faculties are just the result of evolution, then they cannot be relied upon to establish true beliefs. Only beliefs that are useful for survival, whether true or not.
    With me, the horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind, which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals are of any value, or are at all trustworthy. Would anyone trust the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any such convictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Húrin wrote: »
    If our cognitive faculties are just the result of evolution, then they cannot be relied upon to establish true beliefs. Only beliefs that are useful for survival, whether true or not.

But I never said so, neither I believe so :\
    Maybe my english isn't good enough...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Scientiest confused about the link between women having a rapturous climax during sex and an evolutionary advantage. Jesus fucking wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

1) Women get better orgasms with richer guys, or
    2) Women with richer husbands lie about better orgasms.

OR! guys with money are better in bed.

Two semesters of statistics all I've learned is they're not worth a shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yesh, I have fund thish. In de gouldmeen I own in Sooth Afreeca, I haff fund that de wimmin work harder than de min. Pound fur pound, dey excavate more ore than dere male countherparts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This thread is like male rams butting heads, while the females look on waiting for them to get over themselves (and get on to what's really important and fun!;)).

You mean de Gold?:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I always thought the men were the diggers? Saw an old film and there were these two lads standing in their leather bomber jackets on a corner trying to look cool when this attractive girl walked by, and they said, "Dig her!" followed by a wolf whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

peanuthead wrote: »
    Jesus, is that what scientists are doing these days?? Have they given up trying to find a cure for cancer already???!!!???

That is seriously a load of crap, and only refers to women who have no respect for themselves, no sense of pride, no shame, no independence.

And as for the type of man who will happily settle with a woman he knows is only after his money?? Well, don't pretend to be surprised when you find out he's shagging his secretary!!

THANK YOU!

You read my mind. They have better things to do than this tabloid shite.

I always thought the men were the diggers? Saw an old film and there were these two lads standing in their leather bomber jackets on a corner trying to look cool when this attractive girl walked by, and they said, "Dig her!" followed by a wolf whistle.

"Dig" is American slang for "to understand" or "to recognise", or even in the example you provided, to check out (a female/male).

Supposedly, it comes from the Gaelic root verb "Tuig" which means "to understand", was in use by Irish immegrants to the USA and came to greater use amongst the American population post-world war 2.

So, B!ue, do you "check out/understand" gold?:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

julep wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the researcher can't score?
    Depends on how big a grant they get, and more publicity means more money.

"love goes out the window when bills come in the door" an old saying

China doesn't have the same sort of social welfare system we do, so being poor can be even more life threatening than here where the rich live longer. It's Maslow's hierarchy of needs again, self fullfilment is a lesser priority when wondering where the next meal is from or if you are too tired after working 12 hours in a factory making cheap junk for the likes of us.

So, B!ue, do you "check out/understand" gold?:pac:
    Well, that makes sense. But these lads later in this old film used dig in another way, too, in addition to "check her out" when she first walked by them. After one of the lads ended up dating the girl, his mate asked, "Do you dig her?"

I assume you mean dig in a Freudian way? Now, I don't know about you B!ue, but Freud's theories aren't the most up to date in pyschology...I know you're a fan of him and everything, but I must draw a line.:D

Dig in the above case, would to my mind mean "Do you like her?"

You excavate?:P

I assume you mean dig in a Freudian way? Now, I don't know about you B!ue, but Freud's theories aren't the most up to date in pyschology...I know you're a fan of him and everything, but I must draw a line.:D
    Freud and Clinton had something in common? Both liked young girls and cigars.
    Dig in the above case, would to my mind mean "Do you like her?"
    Indeed... must of been their meaning.

So lads are diggers too.

Freud and Clinton had something in common? Both liked young girls and cigars.

Both from Aurstkansaia too.:pac:

Read something once about the California Gold Rush. All those blokes rushing out to California after the first gold strike had been reported. So these blokes were the gold-diggers of that bygone age? I wonder what their equivalent is today? John McCain dumps his wife and marries a women with money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

In Soviet Russia, gold digs YOU!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Might have been already said, but why do women often go for the dead beat Cocky loser with no money?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Silverfish wrote: »
    Do you remember the massive furore over the 'goldigger' Heather Mills, who got 47 million from Paul McCartney? All the articles and threads and goldigger jokes?

Guy Ritchie just got 50 million from Madonna and........silence.

It was all over the news... Not that i followed that particular story, but why was he entitled to all that money when he is a very wealthy film director?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Might have been already said, but why do women often go for the dead beat Cocky loser with no money?
    Maybe because he triggers some of the signals of a high value male? Arrogant can easily be mistaken for confidence and social value, especially by younger women not used to the real deal. If the woman is insecure this is gonna be hightened.

Lies damned lies and statistics is right. Though I suspect there's something to it. Both men and women seek the highest reproductive/social value partner they can. Money's but one factor. Some decent research shows that women select partners with different immune systems to them to secure better immune systems for their kids. Even subtle cues like hormonal state of the woman show influence. One interesting one I read, was the divorce rate is higher when women who met their partners while on the pill, stopped taking same. They were instinctively attracted to different men while (chemically) pregnant. Another one was that lap dancers earn less tips when they're on the pill, so men must be picking up their fertility instinctively.

I think we all have instinctive responses that we dress up in romantic terms(the spark etc). Yes we have control over them and I reckon we've sometimes more than we think, but equally sometimes we have less than we think too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Where did that "penis - semen displacement tool" link go, I wasn't finished reading it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sherifu wrote: »
    Where did that "penis - semen displacement tool" link go, I wasn't finished reading it :(

It had willies in it so the link probably got circumcised. I PM'd it to you for your pleasure. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

javaboy wrote: »
    It had willies in it so the link probably got circumcised. I PM'd it to you for your pleasure. ;)
    I was guessing that's why it got the snip. Family viewing, etc. Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Why can't scientists cure cancer or AIDS?! :mad: Who cares if she enjoys sex?! Jaysus!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

790061611a8922191987lru2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

I reckon it's coz if u are always worried bout lack of enough money and mounting bills n stuff u can't be relaxed enuff to have an orgasm, full stop! rich man=less financial worries (which aside from health ones are some of the biggest)=more relaxed=enjoy to the full!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Síle28 wrote: »
    I reckon it's coz if u are always worried bout lack of enough money and mounting bills n stuff u can't be relaxed enuff to have an orgasm, full stop! rich man=less financial worries (which aside from health ones are some of the biggest)=more relaxed=enjoy to the full!

Hmmm...well..it's true that not having to worry bout the bills it's enjoyable, but form there to be a gold digger...c'mon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

LOL, actually the study relates to women's "self-reported frequency of orgasm", emphasis added. So what the study says is that women are more likely to stroke the egos of rich men than poor men. If Bill Gates was willing to throw money at me I know I'd tell him what he wanted to hear.