Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do people actually still not like the English?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Oakboy wrote: »
    The only people i despise are not the English, I love them, have always had great craic with any English person I've met.

I despise the forelock tuggers in this country who it appears are unfortunately growing in numbers all the time. Cruiser is proud of you

Mindless Eoghan Harris puppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Oakboy wrote: »
    Where are all these man united Celtic jersey wearing, english loathing, tootless simpletons?

Check the Wolfe Tones tour itinerary.

Absolutely. Disgusting terrorists.

And before you have a witty comeback, my entire family were born in Belfast and Down. Uncles of mine have been in prison for IRA involvement. Like I said, disgusting.

My family had their doors kicked in, they were in Belfast at the very height of the troubles.

So are your uncles terrorists?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

So are your uncles terrorists?

What part of disgusting terrorists do you not understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

rob316 wrote: »
    I mean normal people not jumped up idiots.

I was talking to a guy today not old either and he just had such venom against the english. Hated everything to do with them.

I just find it ridiculous in this day and age.

is this a touchy issue? Shut it down mod if it is.

He was'nt normal

• Advertisement

What part of disgusting terrorists do you not understand?

Ah right now I see. If you were a member of the IRA at any stage you were a terrorist, even if you didn't actually kill anyone. But if you are a member of the British Army and didn't kill anyone you aren't a terrorist ? Have I got that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I mean normal people not jumped up idiots.

I was talking to a guy today not old either and he just had such venom against the english. Hated everything to do with them.

I just find it ridiculous in this day and age.

is this a touchy issue? Shut it down mod if it is.

I quite like the English, personally. I met some upper-class English people and found them to be very polite, jovial and good-natured.
    I don't like Cockney's because most of the ones I've met talk too much and they speak so fast that I haven't a clue what 50% of the conversation is about.

I'm sure there is still some hatred towards England/English but I mostly hear it from "barstool republicans". These are usually people who can't give a coherent reason as to why they hate them, they just know they do...
    Each to his (and her) own.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Don't like the Englishe.Never did ,probably never will

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ah, another thread set up to bash the non-existent celtic jersey wearing armchair republican, nationalism, Sinn Fein and everything else related. The unbelievable irony of people like the OP, who feel the need to keep bashing nationalism and everything related and giving out about it with the most smug condescending attitude, yet they are the ones with the biggest chip on the shoulder themselves. How many pro-nationalists threads actually get set up compared to anti Sinn Fein ones, anti Gerry Adams, pro partition ones. You lot of revisionists need to get a fcuking life. No one ever had a problem with the common English person, sure we all have relations there. It was the British government the people hated, their security forces and the monarchy and what they did and represent. Not the English people. But lets not let that stop another nationalist bashing sessions, full of armchair republican stereotypes. Bunch of fcuking losers

You forgot to read the title of the thread. I encountered an individual and asked do people actually think like this I never presumed anything.

I love patriotic people but it can be done without baseless hatred of another nation and its people.

Ah right now I see. If you were a member of the IRA at any stage you were a terrorist, even if you didn't actually kill anyone. But if you are a member of the British Army and didn't kill anyone you aren't a terrorist ? Have I got that right?

Is the IRA a job? Do the members get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I don't mind the English. History has been bad, but why blame English people who had nothing to do with it, especially if it's before they were born? The same logic applies to the Germans - the actions by Nazis was atrocious, but do current Germans have any blame in that? No! In fact, my GF is English herself and I plan to move over there. No shame in that at all, methinks.

People need to look at the issues presently and the future in general - the past is gone, moved to the history books. **** happened, but people should be using the past to make sure it doesn't happen again, rather than open old wounds.

On top of that, people are just people - regardless of country. We shouldn't determine someone by their flag. We're all pink inside at the end of the day. ;)

vermin99 wrote: »
    Don't like the Englishe.Never did ,probably never will

Fitting username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I quite like the English, personally. I met some upper-class English people and found them to be very polite, jovial and good-natured.
    I don't like Cockney's because most of the ones I've met talk too much and they speak so fast that I haven't a clue what 50% of the conversation is about.

I'm sure there is still some hatred towards England/English but I mostly hear it from "barstool republicans". These are usually people who can't give a coherent reason as to why they hate them, they just know they do...
    Each to his (and her) own.

Been to Cork city recently or at all!? :pac:

Is the IRA a job? Do the members get paid?

I dunno, ask your uncle? Is that whataboutery? I asked you a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Everyone here loves them,the only people that hate the English are the rest of the World if the oft repeated anecdotes of "the locals in land X were being really mean to us until we told them that we weren't English,but Irish-they then bought us free drink all night long" are to be believed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Check the Wolfe Tones tour itinerary.

Didn't think it'd be long before somebody would drag Celtic F.C into it (referring to your alteration of Man Utd. to Celtic in a post you quoted)

Aren't stereotypes fantastic.

I dunno, ask your uncle? Is that whataboutery? I asked you a simple question.

Why does it even matter?

Didn't think it'd be long before somebody would drag Celtic F.C into it (referring to your alteration of Man Utd. to Celtic in a post you quoted)

Half of my class were that sort in secondary school. I'm not kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Hate them.

I only moved to England to take em down from the inside. :p

You forgot to read the title of the thread. I encountered an individual and asked do people actually think like this I never presumed anything.

I love patriotic people but it can be done without baseless hatred of another nation and its people.

No I read the title alright. Your basing your question on one person. Arn't you Irish? I'm assuming you are. If it took you this long to run into one person who dislikes them, then there isn't many I'd assume. Not that hard to work out

• Advertisement

shleedance wrote: »
    Half of my class were that sort in secondary school. I'm not kidding.

Were what exactly?

I'm sorry but i'm not following.

Fitting username.

Go over to England and most will tell you the same about the Irish .How people can so quickly forget that not so long ago the British army went around terrorising people ,now the IRA imo were at first a protective force but then went way overboard.But the British army I thought were ment to be there to keep the peace ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

shleedance wrote: »
    I don't mind the English. History has been bad, but why blame English people who had nothing to do with it, especially if it's before they were born? The same logic applies to the Germans - the actions by Nazis was atrocious, but do current Germans have any blame in that? No! In fact, my GF is English herself and I plan to move over there. No shame in that at all, methinks.

People need to look at the issues presently and the future in general - the past is gone, moved to the history books. **** happened, but people should be using the past to make sure it doesn't happen again, rather than open old wounds.

On top of that, people are just people - regardless of country. We shouldn't determine someone by their flag. We're all pink inside at the end of the day. ;)

As I read this I cant help thinking, but did their English predecessors (man in the street) even do anything wrong to us? Yes our ancestors may had had a beef with the way Ireland was run by a British government or Monarch of that time in history, but can we say that 'the English people' themselves were to blame, or even knew anything about the complexities of Ireland? I doubt it.

As regards the English British army, they are just told to go there and obey orders < they are not the English people either, so maybe this whole thing about us always being hard done by 'the English' may be a subject some Irish people may need to explore a little, bit more before they say that they Hate the English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

my best friend is from Rochdale :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Knew I should have gone with Steaua Bucharest instead.

Go over to England and most will tell you the same about the Irish .How people can so quickly forget that not so long ago the British army went around terrorising people ,now the IRA imo were at first a protective force but then went way overboard.But the British army I thought were ment to be there to keep the peace ?!

uwotm8?

LordSutch wrote: »
    As I read this I cant help thinking, but did their English predecessors (man in the street) even do anything wrong to us? Yes our ancestors may had had a beef with the way Ireland was run by a British government of that time, but can we say that 'the English people' themselves were to blame or even knew anything about the complexities of Ireland? I doubt it.

As regards the English British army, they are just told to go there and obey orders < they are not the English people either, so maybe this whole thing about us always being hard done by 'the English' may be a subject some Irish people may need to explore a little bit more before they say that they Hate the English.

So to stay consistent with your own views, I take it you wouldn't consider 99% of the IRA members terrorists. They were just following orders ye?

uwotm8?

What ya mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So to stay consistent with your own views, I take it you wouldn't consider 99% of the IRA members terrorists. They were just following orders ye?

You seem determined to run with this IRA theme in the thread, I'll leave you to it.

The English people are alright.

• Advertisement

What ya mean?

I just find that part of your post rather ironic considering they were the antagonisers..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement