Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do people actually still not like the English?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I don't hate the English. I think the typical user of After Hours would be far more painful to listen to than the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ah, another thread set up to bash the non-existent celtic jersey wearing armchair republican, nationalism, Sinn Fein and everything else related. The unbelievable irony of people like the OP, who feel the need to keep bashing nationalism and everything related and giving out about it with the most smug condescending attitude, yet they are the ones with the biggest chip on the shoulder themselves. How many pro-nationalists threads actually get set up compared to anti Sinn Fein ones, anti Gerry Adams, pro partition ones. You lot of revisionists need to get a fcuking life. No one ever had a problem with the common English person, sure we all have relations there. It was the British government the people hated, their security forces and the monarchy and what they did and represent. Not the English people. But lets not let that stop another nationalist bashing sessions, full of armchair republican stereotypes. Bunch of fcuking losers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Maybe it doesn't count, but I don't like the monarchy. They are a direct representative of Henry II and that's why I don't like them. However, I see Harry and William as possibly the first generation of the monarchy I could like. They seem much more down to earth than Elizabeth and Phillip/Charles/whoever's next.

As a people, I don't mind the English at all. They're fairly sound as far as I can tell and I don't hold any grudge against them. However, if they brought up the history of their invasion to make a mockery of Ireland, or to insult someone, obviously that would change my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I've been over there about half a dozen times on hols. With a single exception, who was drunk, I found the whole lot of them to be absolutely lovely. I received help and friendship everywhere I went. When I meet one of them here, I am pleased to offer the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Ah, another thread set up to bash the non-existent celtic jersey wearing armchair republican, nationalism, Sinn Fein and everything else related. The unbelievable irony of people like the OP, who feel the need to keep bashing nationalism and everything related and giving out about it with the most smug condescending attitude, yet they are the ones with the biggest chip on the shoulder themselves. How many pro-nationalists threads actually get set up compared to anti Sinn Fein ones, anti Gerry Adams, pro partition ones. You lot of revisionists need to get a fcuking life. No one ever had a problem with the common English person, sure we all have relations there. It was the British government the people hated, their security forces and the monarchy and what they did and represent. Not the English people. But lets not let that stop another nationalist bashing sessions, full of armchair republican stereotypes. Bunch of fcuking losers

Have you ever uttered the phrase "butchers apron" by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 rm234

Definitely think after meeting countless English on trips abroad as well as here, they are a pleasant bunch and we share a lot in common. Also, they have a massive population compared to ours, as well as being culturally diverse and many of them having parents from different cultures, so the only ones worth hating are the BNP/EDL/NF type morons. The only thing that grinds my gears (but understandable, as i said, sharing cultures and that) is when other nationalities think Ireland is British. I don't lose my s**t on them, I just correct them so they know for future reference. Dylan Moran sums up our relationship with them well here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QccLy8498yg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Jeremy Kyle, John Terry, Danny Dyer, Nigel Farage, Richard Littlejohn, Jeremy Clarkson- what's not to like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I find it an easy way to distinguish between idiots and regular people. Hate the English / Brits because of 800 years? You sir are an idiot.

Or maybe some people hate the Brits because they had British Soldiers kick the door of their house down for being Catholic in the 60's or had a grandparent killed in the 1900's?

It's very easy to say I hate all Brits or people who do hate Brits are idiots but the bigger picture should be looked at.

Have you ever uttered the phrase "butchers apron" by any chance?

Nah man, why would I?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Well British soldiers have killed alot of innocent people during the Troubles just 30-40 years ago and they still have a presence in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

English people are generally fine. The British establishment has always been the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Thank you! There are too many people like the OP who like to invent characters to smear anyone with a hint of nationalistic outlook. I have never met one person who holds a grudge with the common english person, not one.

Where are all these man united jersey wearing, english loathing, tootless simpletons? Oh yeah that's right, they don't exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I lived there for over 2 and a half years and my experience there was very positive overall; many of those I worked and lived with were very kind to me.

They're such a diverse lot that I'd say more than any European nationality, you'd have problems generalising about them the most.

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Or maybe some people hate the Brits because they had British Soldiers kick the door of their house down for being Catholic in the 60's or had a grandparent killed in the 1900's?

It's very easy to say I hate all Brits or people who do hate Brits are idiots but the bigger picture should be looked at.

So hate the soldiers who did it, not the entire nation.

masti123 wrote: »
    Well British soldiers have killed alot of innocent people during the Troubles just 30-40 years ago and they still have a presence in Ireland

Ye but thats all our own fault remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

rm234 wrote: »
    The only thing that grinds my gears (but understandable, as i said, sharing cultures and that) is when other nationalities think Ireland is British. I don't lose my s**t on them, I just correct them so they know for future reference.

Same here, but everyone from everywhere is like that. If someone thought Belgium was a part of the Netherlands or that Albania was Greek I know that they would be quick enough to tell you otherwise. It is nearly always an honest mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

sabat wrote: »
    Jeremy Kyle, John Terry, Danny Dyer, Nigel Farage, Richard Littlejohn, Jeremy Clarkson- what's not to like?

I quite like 2 of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The English, the Scots, the Irish & the Welsh - all very similar, all interconnected through blood lines, history, geography & culture. nobody minds a bit of ribbing between the four of us on these two islands. Not sure I could 'hate' a whole nationality though.

So hate the soldiers who did it, not the entire nation.

Thats what he's implying

sabat wrote: »

Eamonn Dunphy, twink, bono, ryan tubridy, daithi o'se. Shall I go on?

• Advertisement

Thats what he's implying

No he's not.

Why hate the entire British army because of the actions of a few?

No he's not.

Do you hate the IRA?

Who doesn't love the characters on Benidorm. Definately a good representation of our great nation (me being English).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

The only people i despise are not the English, I love them, have always had great craic with any English person I've met.

I despise the forelock tuggers in this country who it appears are unfortunately growing in numbers all the time. Cruiser is proud of you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] the Dutch hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Dutch, Belguims hate the Dutch, Germans hate the French [...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Only those parts of English society that produced David Cameron, the Daily Mail, and Royal watching.

No he's not.

And for the record, you said hate the people who did it, not the entire nation, which he just implied he did'nt hate. No word of British Army. Nice attempt at back tracking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I like the Brits in general.

Their media, on the other hand, are only a shower of sh1tes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

No he's not.

Why do people hate the RIRA, CIRA etc based on the action of a few?

• Advertisement

Do you hate the IRA?

Absolutely. Disgusting terrorists.

And before you have a witty comeback, my entire family were born in Belfast and Down. Uncles of mine have been in prison for IRA involvement. Like I said, disgusting.

My family had their doors kicked in, they were in Belfast at the very height of the troubles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement