Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother to sue couple who filmed drunk son before he drowned

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Daqster wrote: »
    I think it's a joke to be suing the couple for recording and laughing at her son as they were not to know what would befall him shortly after. If they had filmed him in the water and did nothing, sure, but otherwise no, they are in no way responsible for what happened.

Am I wrong.. what do you think?

Also, not sure if we have a similar "non-assistance" law as the French but if not, do you think we should.

Yes, there's a similar law on the Irish statute books of "failure to get medical assistance in a timely fashion". Initially, the man and woman accused of procuring the cocaine for Katy French were to be charged with this offence, but those particular charges were eventually dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

JRant wrote: »
    Statistically speaking the couple were far more at risk from a random drunk than the other way round. I don't blame them not for helping him. Personally I just wouldn't take the chance.

Helping any randomer is arguably risky. You see a man getting beaten up on the street, you're at risk for trying to stop it. But if you don't, the guy who's getting beaten could be kicked to death. But that means you just turned a blind eye and allowed someone to be killed because you were too scared to act. I personally would take the chance, but i'd be extra cautious as well.
    I'd say the young man who tragically died was the selfish one here. He got into such a state that he was a danger to himself and others around him.

You've never been on a night out or a social event where you haven't seen others getting drunk? It's part of the culture of a lot of countries, including ours. People get a little carried away or have too much to drink. Wouldn't call it selfish though. As far as being a danger to other people around him. Looks like he was just a danger to himself. But generally if the man was really intoxicated that he needed help, then he wouldn't be much of a danger to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Helping any randomer is arguably risky. You see a man getting beaten up on the street, you're at risk for trying to stop it. But if you don't, the guy who's getting beaten could be kicked to death. But that means you just turned a blind eye and allowed someone to be killed because you were too scared to act. I personally would take the chance, but i'd be extra cautious as well.

You've never been on a night out or a social event where you haven't seen others getting drunk? It's part of the culture of a lot of countries, including ours. People get a little carried away or have too much to drink. Wouldn't call it selfish though. As far as being a danger to other people around him. Looks like he was just a danger to himself. But generally if the man was really intoxicated that he needed help, then he wouldn't be much of a danger to others.

Being scared has nothing to do with it IMO. If it's someone on the ground in a heap then of course i'd act. However some random bloke stumbling by full of drink, no chance.

Of course i've seen others get drunk and been drunk myself and by it's nature is a selfish thing to do.

A&E's across the country might beg to differ. People that drunk cause all sorts of accicents.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

JRant wrote: »
    Being scared has nothing to do with it IMO. If it's someone on the ground in a heap then of course i'd act. However some random bloke stumbling by full of drink, no chance.

Of course i've seen others get drunk and been drunk myself and by it's nature is a selfish thing to do.

A&E's across the country might beg to differ. People that drunk cause all sorts of accicents.

People who are sober cause accidents as well.

By helping people who are drunk, you are possibly preventing other accidents from happening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think it's so insulting that the mother would use a terrible illness as an example for how we should treat drunk people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Drinks get spiked too sometimes. I've had friends it's happened to, even when they're not sexual targets. Hard to judge where the line is really, but apart from that, it's a bit scummy to record a stranger asking for help and totally out of it to get home for a few YouTube hits.

I have been spiked. Drank four pints that were spiked and "lost" three hours on public transport, woke up with two paramedics over me and then woke up again in hospital being sedated.

I'm grateful for whoever called the ambulance, they may have saved my life.

Advertisement