Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Exactly,just throw it out,why take the risk

He had an awful game. He wasn't finding open guys all afternoon and that pick will be what will be remembered all off season. I'm looking forward to the post game show on ESPN980.

Despite the winning record (barely) they're not a good team and would have gotten destroyed in the playoffs but would have still liked to have gotten there. They've been flat in nearly all of the big games this season.

To sum up the season:

Offence - couldn't score TDs in the red zone
    Defence - couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.
    Overall - an average team at best that came up short most times when it mattered. 2-4 down the stretch not good enough.

Rams want to interview McVeigh for HC. He's very young for a head coach role i would have thought and to be honest, some of his play calling this season has been poor too. But he's well liked in the league and is seen as a one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Rams want to interview McVeigh for HC. He's very young for a head coach role i would have thought and to be honest, some of his play calling this season has been poor too. But he's well liked in the league and is seen as a one for the future.

They can have him. he's not ready to be a head coach. We were predictable all season thats why imo we couldnt score in the red zone. Gruden was too quick to dump Matt Jones when he had been productive all season.

Cousins choked most definitely but I still think we can build around him. He showed enough this year to merit a contract for 4 years on decent money. Positives for the season Rob Kelley, Kerrigan, Crowder and the re-emergence of both Garcon and Vernon Davis. Reed is obviously a cornerstone if we are to win anything in the next couple of years but needs to stay healthy.

Our defence has to improve and our offence needs to be more clinical. I said it in the off season but we needed to invest in a Demarco Murray if we are to win anything. Letting Morris go was a mistake. Our O line and defence need work but overall I suppose we're in a better position that maybe Cleveland, Rams, and a handful of other teams

OVerall though Sunday night was a shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Joe Barry and the majority of the defensive staff officially sacked thankfully. Would love us to make a move for Wade Phillips.

• Advertisement

I've been on the 'Fire Joe Barry' bandwagon all season so glad to see him gone.

I know he didn't have the a good roster to work with but there were times when the secondary looked totally lost and out of position and that's comes down to coaching.

Whoever they get, better be able to make stops on 3rd down! (and hopefully they'll use their early round draft picks on defensive players)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I've been on the 'Fire Joe Barry' bandwagon all season so glad to see him gone.

I know he didn't have the a good roster to work with but there were times when the secondary looked totally lost and out of position and that's comes down to coaching.

Whoever they get, better be able to make stops on 3rd down! (and hopefully they'll use their early round draft picks on defensive players)

Some of it was down to coaching no doubt but there is a lot of gaps in talent on the secondary.

One of my biggest frustrations with the defence though was they seemed to be able to get stops when they put a lot of pressure on up front but didn't do that till too late in games.

Some of it was down to coaching no doubt but there is a lot of gaps in talent on the secondary.

One of my biggest frustrations with the defence though was they seemed to be able to get stops when they put a lot of pressure on up front but didn't do that till too late in games.

He was also very fond of the prevent defence which I hate when defending leads late in the game.

He was also very fond of the prevent defence which I hate when defending leads late in the game.

A lot of teams use it successfully though, I don't mind giving up short yardage when up by 2 scores or more but our problem the entire season was an inability to stop the run. From the very first game where De Angelo Williams tore us apart to the very last where a poor NY Giants offence ran through us. How do you go an entire season without being able to address that?

Man the Redskins do my nut in. And now I have 4 months to wait until the Nationals do my nut in and in between the Capitals will no doubt win until the playoffs where they will inevitably tank ..

MEh.

A lot of teams use it successfully though, I don't mind giving up short yardage when up by 2 scores or more but our problem the entire season was an inability to stop the run. From the very first game where De Angelo Williams tore us apart to the very last where a poor NY Giants offence ran through us. How do you go an entire season without being able to address that?

Man the Redskins do my nut in. And now I have 4 months to wait until the Nationals do my nut in and in between the Capitals will no doubt win until the playoffs where they will inevitably tank ..

MEh.

That's the thing though, doing it successfully. The Redskins under Barry could never do it successfully. So instead of one 40 yard bomb, we got 4 x 10 yard gains in the space of about 30 seconds which had pretty much the same result.

I agree 100% with the bolded text.

• Advertisement

That's the thing though, doing it successfully. The Redskins under Barry could never do it successfully. So instead of one 40 yard bomb, we got 4 x 10 yard gains in the space of about 30 seconds which had pretty much the same result.

I agree 100% with the bolded text.

I agree with you the defence as a whole man .. meh .. jesus I am sort of glad the season is over because they gave us hope and then crushed it. .. like every year!

Who do you guys think is going to win it out?

Who do you guys think is going to win it out?

Don't mention the team beginning with D...!!!!

I have a suspicion the Giants might surprise a few people and go all the way. I'd like to see a team like KC do it and they might not be far off in the AFC either.

Would love to see Kansas do well but they likely have to beat Pittsburgh and New England to make a superbowl, hard to see them do that.

I think the Giants will struggle against Green Bay as good as that D is their offence is really poor.

Would love to see an Atlanta/Kansas Superbowl.

Third time's a charm?

Junior Galette said on ESPN 980 today that he's signed a one year deal for next season. I wonder how far into training camp he'll get this time before going on IR.

Bit of spat between Duke Ianacho and Chris Cooley today.

http://deadspin.com/washington-safety-duke-ihenacho-says-chris-cooley-is-fu-1790903644

Nice to see players taking journalists (even if they are ex players) to task on their unsubstantiated stories.

And they got him! So two co-ordinators needed now.

He seemed to be good for Cousins so I wonder how that will impact him going forward (presuming he's signed!). So it is a loss but to try and look on the bright side, hopefully they'll replace him with someone who won't be 75/25 pass/run.

Believe it or not, Joe Barry's just got another job. McVay's hired him as a linebacker coach in LA.

"Reportedly Joe Barry could not be heard at his introductory Press Conference in LA since he lined up 15 yards off the microphone"

(Robbed from Twitter)

Just thinking back on the season, did Matt Barkley really convert a 3rd and 18th play?

Surely that couldn't have happened in any sort of real world.

• Advertisement

Greg Manusky's promoted to DC apparently. I've no idea if this is a good hire or not. Anyone else? I was expecting a bigger name as opposed to hiring from within.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/1/22/14350836/redskins-promote-greg-manusky-to-defensive-coordinator

More hires:

Matt Cavanaugh to OC
    Jim Tomsula to DL coach (should be fun!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Greg Manusky's promoted to DC apparently. I've no idea if this is a good hire or not. Anyone else? I was expecting a bigger name as opposed to hiring from within.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/1/22/14350836/redskins-promote-greg-manusky-to-defensive-coordinator

He's terrible... had him in SD. Not too bright.

Out of frying pan (Barry) into fire (Manusky).

Cannot understand how these fools get DC jobs.

So how do we fix the problems we had last season?

What are we going to address in the draft? O line probably?

Surely we need to be thinking about a RB at this stage?

Doctson will be a weapon when healthy and we have some decent receiving options.

Then how are we going to screw it all up?

So how do we fix the problems we had last season?

What are we going to address in the draft? O line probably?

Surely we need to be thinking about a RB at this stage?

Doctson will be a weapon when healthy and we have some decent receiving options.

Then how are we going to screw it all up?

Upgrades needed all over the place really. The DL is the top priority but they also need to improve the secondary, the OL and as you say, RB.

I've read they've tonnes of app space, even if they sign Cousins but McCloghan doesn't seem to like high cost free agents (Norman excluded) so I presume he'll do most through the draft.

If they take anyone other than a D-Lineman in the 1st round, he needs to be shown the door though. That was by far their biggest weakness last season.

Upgrades needed all over the place really. The DL is the top priority but they also need to improve the secondary, the OL and as you say, RB.

I've read they've tonnes of app space, even if they sign Cousins but McCloghan doesn't seem to like high cost free agents (Norman excluded) so I presume he'll do most through the draft.

If they take anyone other than a D-Lineman in the 1st round, he needs to be shown the door though. That was by far their biggest weakness last season.

Anyone think we should trade Kirk?

I want them to go out and get Jamaal Charles. He'll be cheap and either brilliant or brutal but if we keep Kirk, Charles would force every defence to respect the run game. He's brilliant in passing situations as well and as long as he stays healthy.. the sky is the limit.

Of course he could get hurt in week 1 and we are back to Kelley or Jones but I still want to see it happen. Just a wish list!

Anyone think we should trade Kirk?

The problem is there's no one to replace him with. Colt McCoy, Jay Cutler? No thank you!

I'm not the biggest KC fan as I think he's not as good as his stats let on and would only have him in the 10-15 tier at best in NFL QBs but I think we're stuck with him now. Don't get me wrong, he'll be fine but I can't ever seeing him being a top level QB.

If they put the unconditional tag on him and someone (Kyle Shanahan?) was willing to pay the bounty, I'd jump at that and put up with whatever scrub they play in his place but that isn't going to happen.

The problem is there's no one to replace him with. Colt McCoy, Jay Cutler? No thank you!

I'm not the biggest KC fan as I think he's not as good as his stats let on and would only have him in the 10-15 tier at best in NFL QBs but I think we're stuck with him now. Don't get me wrong, he'll be fine but I can't ever seeing him being a top level QB.

If they put the unconditional tag on him and someone (Kyle Shanahan?) was willing to pay the bounty, I'd jump at that and put up with whatever scrub they play in his place but that isn't going to happen.

I like Colt McCoy. I would also be willing to trade Kirk and take a chance of Trubiskey in the draft at 17 and take Allen with San Francisco's pick at 2. I think that might be a really effective move for the team overall.

Shanahan/Lynch might not want to give up trade picks in his first year in charge. But I think he liked Cousins and Cousins is a good fit in a Shanahan run offence.

Ah look not likely to happen and Cousins was great last year with a few brain farts here and there I think he's better than 10-15 QB as well probably in the 6-10 range. I dont think there are 10 better than him in the league, so really trading him is probably stupid.

So as you can clearly see from the above I actually have no clue what I actually think!

• Advertisement

So as you can clearly see from the above I actually have no clue what I actually think!

That makes 2 of us....

The problem of being a Redskins fan!

The problem of being a Redskins fan!

Baseball in a few weeks to frustrate the hell out of us too!

Baseball in a few weeks to frustrate the hell out of us too!

Yeah Mets and Nationals. Perhaps we actually really dislike ourselves and inflict pain through our sports interests!

Hypothetical ..

Would we trade Kirk to the 49ers for a raft of draft picks and take Tony Romo in free agency?

Hypothetical ..

Would we trade Kirk to the 49ers for a raft of draft picks and take Tony Romo in free agency?

Tony Romo's great when he plays but he's made of glass unfortunately and we'd be back to the backup by week 3.

• Advertisement

Tony Romo's great when he plays but he's made of glass unfortunately and we'd be back to the backup by week 3.

I don't really agree with that, it's the picture that people seem to remember but he hasn't been injured with muscle injuries or even knocks. They've been sort of freak accidents.

Apart from Romo though. Charles and Peterson are going to hit the open market if we want to win a Superbowl we have to sign one of them in my opinion especially now that we've franchised Kirk. We're going to need help in the receiving corp too if we let both Jackson and Garcon walk. Personally I don't think we should let Jackson go. Still a lot to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I don't really agree with that, it's the picture that people seem to remember but he hasn't been injured with muscle injuries or even knocks. They've been sort of freak accidents.

To the same part of his body over & over & over & over. The back is brittle at the best of times, with what he has been through & the position he plays, I agree with the previous poster, you'll be on your reserve QB by week 3.

9 seasons he has played 15 or more games he really only missed time in three seasons.

Looks like the Romo deal may happen.

I'm not sure how I feel on it, I sort of feel he should finish as a Cowboy but it's strange to think of him playing for the Redskins. I think he could be a success with us.

Really I think we either lock Cousins in to a long term deal or we need to draft a QB in the middle of the first/second

Looks like the Romo deal may happen.

I'm not sure how I feel on it, I sort of feel he should finish as a Cowboy but it's strange to think of him playing for the Redskins. I think he could be a success with us.

Really I think we either lock Cousins in to a long term deal or we need to draft a QB in the middle of the first/second

I can't see the Romo thing happening. It just doesn't make sense for SF or Washington. I know it could be all smokescreen stuff and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him but Jerry Jones has said it'll never happen either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

9 seasons he has played 15 or more games he really only missed time in three seasons.

4 games in 2015, 1 game in 2016. He hasn't played the full 16 games since 2012. I can't remember the season but I remember him playing with what amounted to a flak jacket at one point after the 49ers inflicted some GBH on him.

In 2010 he had a broken collarbone, in 2013 he had back surgery, in 2014 he had 2 fractures in his back, in 2015 he had a broken collarbone, in 2016 he had a fracture to his L1 vertebra.

2 of the 3 seasons you mentioned are the last 2 years.

Also this is Tony "1 playoff win in his career" Romo, I don't know why I am trying to talk the Skins out of why this would be a good idea but it really wouldn't.

Things are never straightforward are they?

Looking very possible that we..

Lose our QB
    Lose our GM
    Lose our two best WR's
    And create these holes while having a million holes to fill on defense too.

Worrying times to say the least.

I think Romo can play a year or two and we could get a decent deal for Cousins with 2 draft picks I would take it.

Thing is if we can move to 2nd in the draft then we could address some of the holes on defence.

We get back a very talented if still unproven WR in Doctson. I think Jackson wants to stick around so I can see him coming back.

Dont know what to think on the QB position to be honest. I have sort of thought from a long time back that Cousins/Romo draft picks sort of makes sense for us.

They will be mutually exclusive in my opinion, I think Dallas cut Romo and allow him to sign where he wants and Cousins traded to the 49ers for 2 maybe three picks.

I'd forget Romo tbh. Absolute pipe dream. He'll want to join a contender.

I'd be excited to an extent if we got a haul of picks for Cousins if McCloughan was still steering the ship but it seems he's gone off the map completely.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I'd forget Romo tbh. Absolute pipe dream. He'll want to join a contender.

I'd be excited to an extent if we got a haul of picks for Cousins if McCloughan was still steering the ship but it seems he's gone off the map completely.

Hard to say we are not a contender, if we get picks and address the defence we can bring back most of the same Roster with the exception of probably Garcon and JAckson and maybe Cousins. I think we're strong this year, hopefully our defence improves.

Morrison J wrote: »

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh as I know he has a good record in his previous jobs but I haven't been too impressed with McCloghlan so far. I know he's only been there two years but both drafts have only been so-so and his low end free agent signings haven't really worked out with the odd exception.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh as I know he has a good record in his previous jobs but I haven't been too impressed with McCloghlan so far. I know he's only been there two years but both drafts have only been so-so and his low end free agent signings haven't really worked out with the odd exception.

I think Doctson could turn out to be a draft changer in a couple of years we could be talking about him as one of our best ever picks.

But overall I agree, I havent been wowed by Mc. Not sure there are many out there that are better and willing to take over the basket case that is the Redskins though.

Hard to say we are not a contender, if we get picks and address the defence we can bring back most of the same Roster with the exception of probably Garcon and JAckson and maybe Cousins. I think we're strong this year, hopefully our defence improves.

The organisation is in complete disarray at the minute though. Would make zero sense for Romo to go out of his way to join his teams biggest rival when the chances of him competing for the last few years are slim to none. There's nothing attractive about us at the minute. He'll go somewhere like the Chiefs who are pretty much just a QB away from being legit.

Very harsh imo. His first year draft was excellent. Eight players from that draft have started an NFL game. Pretty impressive.

Not his fault the likes of Jarrett and Doctson have suffered injuries.

Draft last year doesn't look great at the moment but hard to judge after one year. Fuller is raw and can improve, Doctson and Sudfeld have hardly played a snap and Cravens looks a very good pick.

We're better than when he arrived which is all that matters really. Definitely heading in the right direction. Shame it's all likely to blow up again though.

We've resigned Vernon Davis, I like the move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement