Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Oat23 wrote: »
    You're always so negative on here. What does Emery have to do for you to be happy? We needed an offense, he gave us a terrific one. Defense is bad? He is fixing that too. He's a proven DE, and along with Houston and Young there is so much potential there. The rotation will be a helluva lot better in 14' than 13'. It also allows the team to do a lot of different things with the 14th pick.

Sacks are king at the end of the day. He had more than Peppers, he is a better player and we got him for a lot less than Peppers was going to cost. Emery is doing a great job.

I prefer to call it balanced, critical and analytical rather than just dawning the navy and orange jersey every time we do anything - nothing wrong with that. I tell it as I see it - you were the one claiming Martz and Tice were geniuses once upon a time.:o

I said I like the signing but have concerns. I loved the Houston one and have no concerns on that at all. I liked the Young one but was concerned that he mightn't look as good without Suh & Fairley and that we had no depth. Obviously we do now, so it makes that signing even better.

Your call for Cutler to be released and go with a rookie while fixing the D was also wrong. Bennett was not interested in money and we have done will in FA anyway. After the draft, the D will be good enough to be at least middle of the pack and we still have our franchise QB. Not some rookie who may or may not work out.

I guess we'll never know if I was wrong or not. And I note you left out the fact I wanted McCown as the QB for a couple of years first not a rookie. and anyway that wasn't what I actually wanted, what I wanted was to secure Cutler at a more reasonable rate given we had leverage.

I'm sure you'll be back on to let me know if McCown fails in Tampa (under totally different circumstances).

If you don't like my posts ignore them, or at least counter argue rather than label me as negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I guess we'll never know if I was wrong or not. And I note you left out the fact I wanted McCown as the QB for a couple of years first not a rookie. and anyway that wasn't what I actually wanted, what I wanted was to secure Cutler at a more reasonable rate given we had leverage.

I'm sure you'll be back on to let me know if McCown fails in Tampa (under totally different circumstances).

If you don't like my posts ignore them, or at least counter argue rather than label me as negative.

McCown will be 35 when the season starts. Two years at most. You could give the #14 rookie 5 years, but if he hasn't got the talent then he won't be a good player. It would have been a terrible decision to go that route.

How much better could we have done? Better safeties probably, but you don't give up the franchise QB for safeties.

I won't be back with 'I told you so's' when he fails either. I wish him the best, but I don't see it working at all. I said this before the season even ended. He would have been adequate here, but nowhere else. There will be no reason for me to come back and say I told you so as just about everyone thinks the same as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Thanks for the post Hulk. After enduring Peppers’ phoning it in last year I’m not sure I can abide another prima-donna rusher. Hopefully he is rejuvenated in Chicago.

The move excites me, especially with the rotation element. Houston is no edge rusher… pushing him inside on passing downs with Young and Allen on the edge should be very decent. Houston is flat out dominant against the run aswell. Also, the draft is now open for best defensive player available at 14 or, who knows, a trade down. I’m happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

No prob. On the plus side you're getting the best DE of the last decade on a decent deal, and he can certainly still get to the QB. It could be very good, it just depends on Jared. I'd be more confident of his performance had he gone to a top contender like the Seahawks for less money though, with all respect to the Bears

McCown will be 35 when the season starts. Two years at most. You could give the #14 rookie 5 years, but if he hasn't got the talent then he won't be a good player. It would have been a terrible decision to go that route.

How much better could we have done? Better safeties probably, but you don't give up the franchise QB for safeties.

I agree keeping Jay was needed but this is out of order.

Keeping McCown and drafting aQB in the first or second round may well have allowed is to strengthen much further elsewhere without hindering the offence too much. We’ll just never know.

Contrarian views are what keeps the forum ticking over… it’d be pretty dull without them. Kenny will be as excited as any Bear fan for 2014 I’m sure.

Again you ignored the bit about what I really wanted (as well as my other post) but fine. So players can't be developed? Not sure why we have a draft that goes beyond one round so by your logic.

With another what $14m this year - who knows? Another DT, a LBer, a good safety etc. Would we perform any better/worse than me might this year? As I said it can't be proved either way, if it could I'd try.
    I won't be back with 'I told you so's' when he fails either. I wish him the best, but I don't see it working at all. I said this before the season even ended. He would have been adequate here, but nowhere else. There will be no reason for me to come back and say I told you so as just about everyone thinks the same as me.

Well you must be right so.

Just to add if we win our division or even make it to the playoffs together with either last years drafted LBers stepping up or this years defensive draft looking promising I'll happily come back and say Emery is the man. We just aren't at that stage - it looks promising, it did last year too yet we slid from 10-8 to 8-8. As sameoldjay alludes too i'll be as happy as any Bears fan.

Again you ignored the bit about what I really wanted (as well as my other post) but fine. So players can't be developed? Not sure why we have a draft that goes beyond one round so by your logic.

With another what $14m this year - who knows? Another DT, a LBer, a good safety etc. Would we perform any better/worse than me might this year? As I said it can't be proved either way, if it could I'd try.

Well you must be right so.

Some of the best players the bears have had the past 10 years have come in the latter half of the draft, since Angelo was useless in the first round. So I don't think anything of the kind. I just think it would have been a huge mistake to let the best QB this team has had walk away and go with a career backup and a rookie. You cannot win without a QB. Ponder, Sanchez, Freeman...do you believe these guys could have been superbowl winning QBs had they sat the first two years of their career? For me, they are just not good enough. You can try to develop a guy, but if he doesn't have it then he doesn't have it. It is that simple. Emery knew that and it is the reason Cutler is still here.
    I prefer to call it balanced, critical and analytical rather than just dawning the navy and orange jersey every time we do anything - nothing wrong with that. I tell it as I see it - you were the one claiming Martz and Tice were geniuses once upon a time.redface.png

I said I like the signing but have concerns. I loved the Houston one and have no concerns on that at all. I liked the Young one but was concerned that he mightn't look as good without Suh & Fairley and that we had no depth. Obviously we do now, so it makes that signing even better.

I missed this because in 7 years on Boards, I still have not learned I should use the 'go to newest post' button and instead go straight to the last one in the thread.

I thought Martz was an offensive genius? Oh well. He had history. How was anyone supposed to know he was past his time. Lets not forget who was the OC before him. I was just happy that we didn't have that anymore.

Tice an offensive genius? He is a great line coach. But he should never be an OC.

I also thought Devin Hester could be an adequate receiver and that the dude who could jump out of the pool would be class under Marinelli. We are wrong sometimes. Like you were on the Cutler issue ;).

We are in a position to compete now. I don't believe McCown would give us the same chance.
    SameOleJay wrote: »
    I agree keeping Jay was needed but this is out of order.

Keeping McCown and drafting aQB in the first or second round may well have allowed is to strengthen much further elsewhere without hindering the offence too much. We’ll just never know.

It would have hindered the offense massively if you ask me. McCown isn't as good as Cutler, and as I said, you don't know what you are going to get with a rookie going from the NCAA to the NFL. You would have McCown for 2 years, but then when it comes time for the young guy to step up, if he can't, you're f*cked. The top linebacker and safety you got 2 years before after letting Cutler go aren't going to help fix that problem.

Allen / Ratliff / Houston / Young

That's no joke lads.

We desperately need an upgrade at linebacker... no later than the second for me.

I said last season I’d only be happy if every unit of the D showed a discernable improvement for 2014. I think that’s more than attainable now depending on the draft.

• Advertisement

Some of the best players the bears have had the past 10 years have come in the latter half of the draft, since Angelo was useless in the first round. So I don't think anything of the kind. I just think it would have been a huge mistake to let the best QB this team has had walk away and go with a career backup and a rookie. You cannot win without a QB.

You won't get be arguing against the fact he's the best QB we've ever had. But he's also the most expensive and he's also misses games through injury. As I've repeated numerous times my main issue is how much he was paid. He's paid just short of elite money, he's also payed as a 16 game QB but hasn't played 16 games since 2009. So to summarise I think we should have been paid less because;

(a) We had leverage in McCown - regardless of whether it was repeatable - he played awesome given the system and weapons. You point that out to Jay.

(b) His other options were what? Tampa in that division? The Raiders? Who else had the cap? Again use it as leverage

(c) The injuries. If you pro rata his games to pay it's actually crazy money.

(d) The home town discount/help the team discount.

All 4 seem to have went out the window imho. That was my issue.

I simply pointed out a viable alternative - it wasn't my number one option by any stretch but I was challenged to do and happily obliged.
    Ponder, Sanchez, Freeman...do you believe these guys could have been superbowl winning QBs had they sat the first two years of their career? For me, they are just not good enough. You can try to develop a guy, but if he doesn't have it then he doesn't have it. It is that simple. Emery knew that and it is the reason Cutler is still here.

Firstly no I don't believe any of these guys are SB winning QB's.

But I have to stop you there - why are we using the term SB winning QB's? Jay hasn't won one of these and hasn't shown he is close to winning one? If you are going to tell me he has the potential I'd like to know what that's based off.

I don't want to get into ripping Jay apart - I've gone over the negatives before (interceptions, records v GB, lack of playoff wins etc) so it's old ground.

I just think we should be talking about QB's in the context of getting to a playoff until we actually get to one again.

Now getting back to the QB's - You are picking specific ones to suit your agenda. I just find it hard to believe that there isn't one QB in this whole draft that doesn't have the potential to be developed by Trestman into someone that could lead the team down the line - because that's what your essentially suggesting.
    I missed this because in 7 years on Boards, I still have not learned I should use the 'go to newest post' button and instead go straight to the last one in the thread.

I thought Martz was an offensive genius? Oh well. He had history. How was anyone supposed to know he was past his time. Lets not forget who was the OC before him. I was just happy that we didn't have that anymore.

Tice an offensive genius? He is a great line coach. But he should never be an OC.

I also thought Devin Hester could be an adequate receiver and that the dude who could jump out of the pool would be class under Marinelli. We are wrong sometimes. Like you were on the Cutler issue ;).

We are in a position to compete now. I don't believe McCown would give us the same chance.

I wasn't trying to mock you, simply I'm frustrated that you can't seem to for a second concede you might be wrong (even if we never find out) and was a bit annoyed in you labelling me negative rather than counter arguing, it seems you took offence to post. As I said I might be a bit negative but only when I feel it warrants it - I don't always agree with others and to be honest it frustrates me that fans sit back clap every move by the GM and then we don't make the playoffs or win a superbowl again. It's not all roses and daisy's and GM's and coach's f'uck up - it's just analysing that and offering opinion and discussing it.

It would have hindered the offense massively if you ask me. McCown isn't as good as Cutler, and as I said, you don't know what you are going to get with a rookie going from the NCAA to the NFL. You would have McCown for 2 years, but then when it comes time for the young guy to step up, if he can't, you're f*cked. The top linebacker and safety you got 2 years before after letting Cutler go aren't going to help fix that problem.

McCown isn't as good as Cutler, but he played close if not better for periods last year. Thing is he doesn't need to be given the cap difference and the stronger all round team you can build. McCown hasnt shown the same propensity for getting inured at critical times or throwing picks.

You do realise we are going to have to draft Cutlers replacement next year if not this?

Do you think the team is going to fall apart when it comes for someone else to start?

How long do you think Jay with his injuries will realistically last anyway?I'm pretty sure the guaranteed money all being in the first 3 years is for a reason.

Do you not have faith in Trestmans QB development abilities given what you seen last year? He had McCown, who if he is as bad as you make out is a hack and journeyman, playing like Dan Marino (slight exagerration but he was lights out).

Allen / Ratliff / Houston / Young

That's no joke lads.

We desperately need an upgrade at linebacker... no later than the second for me.

I said last season I’d only be happy if every unit of the D showed a discernable improvement for 2014. I think that’s more than attainable now depending on the draft.

Not to be pedantic but I'd be pretty sure Allen will be the RDE (9 tech). Will be interesting to see what they do with Houston. It gives us great versatility.

On obvious run downs I see it more like

Houston/Ratliff/Paea/Young

on obvious pass downs

Young/Houston (3 tech)/Paea or Ratliff/ Allen.

Houston can go between LE and 3 tech.

Young between RE (his natural position) and LE (when Allen is in)

I assume you agree safety and linebacker are the pressing needs in the early rounds?

What way would you go?

I assume you agree safety and linebacker are the pressing needs in the early rounds?

What way would you go?

Safety yes. I think linebacker also but not sure Emery will, I think he'll feel comfortable with the 2 players drafted last year and McClellin to add to Williams & Briggs. Personally I don't agree and think we need a long term Mike.

We definitely still need a CB to develop for next year when Tillman will likely be let go, so I think that will happen in the top 3 rounds and we still need Dline depth but how high that will be drafted I don't know. Obviously not in first or second as you want players that can start but I'd like a Young DT as Ratliff won't be around for too long and Paea misses games and collins is coming off an ACL and is just a back up imho.

I'd go S, LB, CB, DT. I'd prob even go Mosley, S, CB, DT if we could trade down or maybe even if not but I doubt it happens. But its just so hard without seeing whats come before.

I think the main thing to be excited about (yes I used excited:)) is that the signings gives us great options both on the field and in the draft.

You won't get be arguing against the fact he's the best QB we've ever had. But he's also the most expensive and he's also misses games through injury. As I've repeated numerous times my main issue is how much he was paid. He's paid just short of elite money, he's also payed as a 16 game QB but hasn't played 16 games since 2009. So to summarise I think we should have been paid less because;

(a) We had leverage in McCown - regardless of whether it was repeatable - he played awesome given the system and weapons. You point that out to Jay.

(b) His other options were what? Tampa in that division? The Raiders? Who else had the cap? Again use it as leverage

(c) The injuries. If you pro rata his games to pay it's actually crazy money.

(d) The home town discount/help the team discount.

All 4 seem to have went out the window imho. That was my issue.

I simply pointed out a viable alternative - it wasn't my number one option by any stretch but I was challenged to do and happily obliged.

Firstly no I don't believe any of these guys are SB winning QB's.

But I have to stop you there - why are we using the term SB winning QB's? Jay hasn't won one of these and hasn't shown he is close to winning one? If you are going to tell me he has the potential I'd like to know what that's based off.

I don't want to get into ripping Jay apart - I've gone over the negatives before (interceptions, records v GB, lack of playoff wins etc) so it's old ground.

I just think we should be talking about QB's in the context of getting to a playoff until we actually get to one again.

Now getting back to the QB's - You are picking specific ones to suit your agenda. I just find it hard to believe that there isn't one QB in this whole draft that doesn't have the potential to be developed by Trestman into someone that could lead the team down the line - because that's what your essentially suggesting.

I wasn't trying to mock you, simply I'm frustrated that you can't seem to for a second concede you might be wrong (even if we never find out) and was a bit annoyed in you labelling me negative rather than counter arguing, it seems you took offence to post. As I said I might be a bit negative but only when I feel it warrants it - I don't always agree with others and to be honest it frustrates me that fans sit back clap every move by the GM and then we don't make the playoffs or win a superbowl again. It's not all roses and daisy's and GM's and coach's f'uck up - it's just analysing that and offering opinion and discussing it.

McCown isn't as good as Cutler, but he played close if not better for periods last year. Thing is he doesn't need to be given the cap difference and the stronger all round team you can build. McCown hasnt shown the same propensity for getting inured at critical times or throwing picks.

You do realise we are going to have to draft Cutlers replacement next year if not this?

Do you think the team is going to fall apart when it comes for someone else to start?

How long do you think Jay with his injuries will realistically last anyway?I'm pretty sure the guaranteed money all being in the first 3 years is for a reason.

Do you not have faith in Trestmans QB development abilities given what you seen last year? He had McCown, who if he is as bad as you make out is a hack and journeyman, playing like Dan Marino (slight exagerration but he was lights out).

Who is to say they didn't try to use McCown as leverage and it failed? Cutler might have called their bluff and said he'd hit FA. He is paid a lot, yes. But if he can stay healthy he can lead this team to a superbowl. I have no doubt in my mind about that having watched him play the past few years, especially last season under Trest before he was injured. There are no excuses now, everything on the offensive side of the ball is in place and he has to do his job.

The reason I am talking about SB's is because that is the ultimate goal. If it isn't, why bother? Everybody aims for the superbowl When you draft a quarterback you don't draft him hoping he can lead your team to a few playoff appearances. You draft him hoping he will be the guy to lead the team to a championship in the future. I believe Cutler can do that. I also believe there are rookie QBs in the draft each year that could. An Andrew Luck doesn't come out every year, but QBs capable of leading teams to championships do. The problem is finding them and I don't think it was worth risking so much in the hope that you find one of those guys.

Cutler will be 31 soon. I hope he will be the starter for the next 3 years at least. Yes, we will have to get someone in the draft, but there is no pressure on Emery/Trest now when it comes to drafting the future QB. The three QBs I used in my last post were picked in the first round by GMs under pressure to find a leader. They can take their time and get him in 2015/2016 if they don't see anyone they like this year. If Cutler had left in FA a pick would have been forced this year. I'm confident that whoever they do draft will have a great chance to succeed under Trest. I was not at all happy at the thought of a pick being forced though.

I never said McCown was a hack either, he is a very reliable backup that played great in an offense filled with talent.

B Marsh is putting stuff up on his instagram of the teams time in Miami. Good to see them all bonding. Cutty came first when they went go karting and he made Marquess Wilson (2nd) carry his trophy around all night...What an ass :pac:
    yUCMrND.png

So who is growing an Allen mullet in support of the signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So who is growing an Allen mullet in support of the signing?

Maybe if we were Tennessee fans or something.

From what I have read on his twitter, Kyle Long is pro-mullet. He will like this signing.

So DLP and Britton on board suggests we can do without an OL addition in the draft.

Here’s a rough breakdown of how I’d go. We had Josh Freeman in Monday so I’m assuming we’ll take a journeyman back-up QB of some form in and leave the draft project this year.

DT (Day 1 starter, preferably Donald)
    Safety (Day 1 starter)
    Cornerback (To cover and replace Peanut eventually)
    Linebacker (Capable, if no stud)
    Running back
    A receiving Tight-End to cover TBU.

And one other.

• Advertisement

A development DT would also be nice as we need some youth in that department before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

How bout dem preseason games?

Personally I find them to be a nuisance, you grit your teeth and pray for no injuries. Philly game might be interesting though.

1 SEP 07 SUN 1:00PM ET BILLS

2 SEP 14 SUN 8:30PM ET AT 49ERS

3 SEP 22 MON 8:30PM ET AT JETS

4 SEP 28 SUN 1:00PM ET PACKERS

5 OCT 05 SUN 1:00PM ET AT PANTHERS

6 OCT 12 SUN 1:00PM ET AT FALCONS

7 OCT 19 SUN 1:00PM ET DOLPHINS

8 OCT 26 SUN 1:00PM ET AT PATRIOTS

9 BYE WEEK

10 NOV 09 SUN 8:30PM ET AT PACKERS

11 NOV 16 SUN 1:00PM ET VIKINGS

12 NOV 23 SUN 1:00PM ET BUCCANEERS

13 NOV 27 THU 12:30PM ET AT LIONS

14 DEC 04 THU 8:25PM ET COWBOYS

15 DEC 15 MON 8:30PM ET SAINTS

16 DEC 21 SUN 1:00PM ET LIONS

17 DEC 28 SUN 1:00PM ET AT VIKINGS

I'm sure we've all seen it at this stage, but any thoughts? Might be a good time to get the 9ers but still hard to see us winning. Would have liked the Lions and Vikes earlier with the coaching changes but opposite side of it is they might have little to play for at that stage. Lot of games against 'indoor' teams late in the schedule also a help.

Our road schedule is horrific

@ JETS
    @ 49ers
    @ PANTHERS
    @ FALCONS
    @ PATRIOTS

Overall it's a pretty tough schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Good and bad, it's definitely very tough, but will be the same for all NFC North teams.

I like...
    - bye week in the middle
    - relatively soft opening game
    - bye week before game in Green Bay
    - playing on Thanksgiving will be fun
    - later games at home, will be good for when Cutler's out with an injury :)

Don't like...
    - very few easy games
    - two road games before the first Green Bay game

Don't think there's too much else I dislike. Probably a positive we play the easier teams at the end, some of them might have given up.

Tough list but I’ve seen a lot worse across the league. We’re getting the 9ers at a good time with the new stadium, injuries and maybe a couple of suspensions. We’ll still lose but should not get torched. Hopefully Atlanta have too many holes to fill, Carolina have next to nothing outside an exceptional front 7 and the Jets should be beatable. We’ll struggle in New England of course.

10-6 fingers crossed. Need to make the play-offs, can’t take another year without a post-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Planning to be in Chicago at either end of September or early October so the Packers or Dolphins game could be on the agenda. Want to take in a Hawks game while there too so that favors the Dolphins game but would prefer to get to see the Packers.

• Advertisement

Interesting mock-draft from the Bears point of view:
    Football Perspective 2014 First Round NFL Mock Draft

Looking at some draft previews recently, seems like Aaron Donald, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are the names that keep coming up for the first round pick.

I can’t remember anything like it- Donald must be in 80% of the mocks I’ve seen to his. Emery’s presser the other day suggested A) he reckons Donald will be gone by then and B) we’ll go safety first anyway (he alluded to the large early drop-off in the safety class)

I’m excited for Thursday but am preparing to be angry. If AD is on the board and we pass on him I will not be happy.

I think he'll be long gone and even if he's not I think we'll pass. I reckon it will be Pryor or Fuller. Can't wait - though will be sad to see draft season over, just love it - reading mocks, watching tape. Think it's the unknown, the potential!

I think he'll be long gone and even if he's not I think we'll pass. I reckon it will be Pryor or Fuller. Can't wait - though will be sad to see draft season over, just love it - reading mocks, watching tape. Think it's the unknown, the potential!

What about Clinton-Dix, do you think he'll be gone too?

Calvin Pryor reminds me of Mike Brown looking at his highlights.

Good because Mike Brown was a boss.
    Bad because Mike Brown would be fined after every game these days for his hits :pac:.

• Advertisement

padraig_f wrote: »
    What about Clinton-Dix, do you think he'll be gone too?

Yeah i think so, possibly to the Rams at 13 just above us. Not a fan anyway. Manziel killed him in the game against them which isn't a good sign.

Calvin Pryor reminds me of Mike Brown looking at his highlights.

Good because Mike Brown was a boss.
    Bad because Mike Brown would be fined after every game these days for his hits :pac:.

I think he's the type of tone setter Emery likes - has that nastiness that Long had last year. I'd way prefer him than Dix. Only issue is we brought in Mundy & Jennings so that's leaving me unsure, that coupled with not being sure whether Emery will value a safety that highly at 14.

Who do you see taking Donald before 14? The only potential spots I see are Minny at 8 (Who look strong in the D and are still in need at QB) and the Giants who have a few offensive needs aswell.

Donald and Bucannon is my preferred 1-2. It won’t happen in all likelihood but I live and hope.

Who do you see taking Donald before 14? The only potential spots I see are Minny at 8 (Who look strong in the D and are still in need at QB) and the Giants who have a few offensive needs aswell.

Donald and Bucannon is my preferred 1-2. It won’t happen in all likelihood but I live and hope.

Oakland/Minnesota/Giants - I do reckon Minnesota tho given their interest in Melton and a head coach who was a DC in his last job and likes a strong line. I think they'll stick with Cassell and draft a QB in the 2nd round.

Yeah i think so, possibly to the Rams at 13 just above us. Not a fan anyway. Manziel killed him in the game against them which isn't a good sign.

Ok. Seems like a bit of a double-edged sword drafting Alabama players, on the one hand you know they're going to be talented, on the other, you wonder if any deficiencies are being masked by playing with a lot of talent around them & playing under a great defensive coach.

Find this guy a good commentator...

DaBearsBlog ‏@dabearsblog

"If I'm Bears, rd 1, I'm trading up ahead of Vikes & getting Donald. Then looking safety later. Donald elite DT. None of these guys elite S."

. @jermaine611 In modern NFL a safety without coverage skills is borderline useless. Tackling a must but ability to step into slot pivotal.

Presume he's talking about Pryor there.

Find this guy a good commentator...

DaBearsBlog ‏@dabearsblog

"If I'm Bears, rd 1, I'm trading up ahead of Vikes & getting Donald. Then looking safety later. Donald elite DT. None of these guys elite S."

. @jermaine611 In modern NFL a safety without coverage skills is borderline useless. Tackling a must but ability to step into slot pivotal.

Presume he's talking about Pryor there.

Trading from 14 to 7 would be expensive, just can't see it. It's a deep draft with plenty of nice prospects, I reckon we're more likely to trade down with Philly or the 9ers than trade up. We just don't have the ammo to do it, if we want to really build a roster via the draft.

I think we might trade up in the 2nd if someone like nix makes it out of the first and through the top of the 2nd (assuming we take a cb or safety in the first) as it's far less to give up - we'd likely use our extra 6th.

Trading from 14 to 7 would be expensive, just can't see it. It's a deep draft with plenty of nice prospects, I reckon we're more likely to trade down with Philly or the 9ers than trade up. We just don't have the ammo to do it, if we want to really build a roster via the draft.

Didn't realise it was that far up, would cost too much alright. If he goes at 8, I guess you leave him, and then look to trade down if you're not crazy about the safeties.

Some good video breakdowns here:
    http://draftbreakdown.com/players/?position=S

Not gonna pretend I know what I'm doing analysing this stuff, but prefer Pryor to Clinton-Dix based on what I've seen.

The UCF one, against Bortles and Storm Johnson is a good watch.

Seems to have a great nose for the ball, always seems to be around where ball is delivered, whereas Clinton-Dix seems to be out of the play more often.

Pryor is a SS, I'm not sure how/whether teams view him as a FS. I'd love him as our SS, especially with guys like Bush, Lacy & Peterson in our division - perfect guy to bring down into the box. But I'm not sure where that fits with having brought in Mundy. As I've said already I just don't like Dix, looks out of position too often and seems to get done with the QB's eyes too easy (reminds me of Conte in that respect).

Anyway enjoy the draft guys - hopefully it works out nicely for us. Won't get to watch the first round until Sat morning as staying up late with 2 babies in the house and work on Friday just isn't feasible. Will steer clear of facebook/internet etc until then and watch as live. Be back Saturday afternoon to see the reactions.

• Advertisement

Just so there is no aftertiming (when i moan :pac:)

Players I'd be very happy with in first few rounds (realistically):

Donald
    Fuller
    Pryor
    Gilbert
    Nix
    Ealy (not at 14 though)
    Kareem Martin
    Mosley
    Murphy
    Carrun Reid
    Easley
    Anthony Johnson
    Ego Ferguson
    Scott Crichton
    Will Sutton

Players I don't want

Hageman (has phil wrote all over it - would hate it!)
    HHC Dix
    Dee Ford
    Bucannon (in the 1st, happy to get him in the 2nd)
    Bradley Roby
    Christian Jones

Right that's the last post till Sat morning.

Can't wait!

Initial reactions...

- Sickener to miss Donald by one spot, I'd have minded less if he went #8 or #9. When the Giants passed at #12, I thought we were getting him. Also thought if he was there at #12 or #13, might be a possibility to trade up at that point, but obviously not the case.

- A bit deflated to see Emery go corner after that. It's obviously a position of need but thought 2nd or 3rd round was the better place to fill that spot.

- Just when you suck on defense the previous year, I think you're looking for an impact player in the first round, and the biggest needs were d-line and safety. Maybe I'm being too short-sighted with that, and it's obviously a pick for the future as much as next year, with Tillman in possibly his last year.

- Don't know much about Fuller, but people seem to like him. Will find out a bit more in the next few days. Word I keep hearing in bits I've read is 'versatile'. Brad Biggs says a bit more about what that means in this video: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-first-round-bears-nfl-draft-spt-0509-20140509,0,1993172.story.

- I guess Emery's comments pre-draft about their being a big drop-off after the top 2 safeties was a smoke-screen.

- Having said that there were 4 safeties picked in the first round, higher amount than normal, so it must leave pretty thin pickings if we were hoping to fill one of the safety slots in rounds 2 or 3.

- Liked the gags on Bears forums about people figuring out Emery's draft strategy: guys named Kyle.

- A bit deflated overall, but on the plus side, I started researching the draft about 3 days ago, so what do I know? They obviously went with their best-player-available in terms of DB, so that's probably a good thing long term. Just concerned about the hole at safety now.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Initial reactions...

- Sickener to miss Donald by one spot, I'd have minded less if he went #8 or #9. When the Giants passed at #12, I thought we were getting him. Also thought if he was there at #12 or #13, might be a possibility to trade up at that point, but obviously not the case.

- A bit deflated to see Emery go corner after that. It's obviously a position of need but thought 2nd or 3rd round was the better place to fill that spot.

- Just when you suck on defense the previous year, I think you're looking for an impact player in the first round, and the biggest needs were d-line and safety. Maybe I'm being too short-sighted with that, and it's obviously a pick for the future as much as next year, with Tillman in possibly his last year.

- Don't know much about Fuller, but people seem to like him. Will find out a bit more in the next few days. Word I keep hearing in bits I've read is 'versatile'. Brad Biggs says a bit more about what that means in this video: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-first-round-bears-nfl-draft-spt-0509-20140509,0,1993172.story.

- I guess Emery's comments pre-draft about their being a big drop-off after the top 2 safeties was a smoke-screen.

- Having said that there were 4 safeties picked in the first round, higher amount than normal, so it must leave pretty thin pickings if we were hoping to fill one of the safety slots in rounds 2 or 3.

- Liked the gags on Bears forums about people figuring out Emery's draft strategy: guys named Kyle.

- A bit deflated overall, but on the plus side, I started researching the draft about 3 days ago, so what do I know? They obviously went with their best-player-available in terms of DB, so that's probably a good thing long term. Just concerned about the hole at safety now.

I guess Phil & Co. are (hopefully) looking at the big picture, we all love the home run pick... big story, but our defense has so many holes, I think safe and solid is a good path for this draft... On the other side I would never have thought the Rams would've taken Donald, their DL is already so strong!!! They went with take the highest player still available... At the end of the day our division has 2 gunslingers QB's and now possibly a third in Bridgewater - CB isn't the worst area - but there is pressure to get another few top picks in the next few rounds, plus Bostic &/or Greene really need to step up to the plate this year - esp against the run...

I tortured myself all night with every pick Donald didn’t go. As someone said elsewhere it’s probably for the best when Emery could well have passed him by anyway. Trading up looked impossible even with his drop- Titans, Vikings, Giants all would have lost their guys with a drop.

Corner is a massive need for us in my opinion. Look at the amount of receiving options in the North- we’ll have the nickel rolled out for 75% of plays. Tillman, Jennings and Frey is not a great trio by any stretch. Kick Jennings into nickel when the 3-WR sets are rolled out and we should be sweet. I’ll also be interested to see what Fuller can offer in safety when called.

The real kick in the nads was Ward and Bucannon going afterwards in the first. One was a surprise- 2 a real shock. The D-line looks a sure thing now… I’d like a trade up as the talent will dry up by 51.

One things for sure- with our safeties we’ll need all the help we can get on the line.

I was really disappointed when Donald went the pick before. I thought for sure he would be on the board for the Bears before the Rams had picked.

Peanut has had a lot of injury problems the past few seasons and has been coming out of games for a few plays because of small injuries. I'm happy with the pick now I have gotten over the disappointment of Donald not being a bear.

DT in round two hopefully, but will a trade up be needed? I don't think Hageman or Jernigan will be there at 51.

Emery is talking about drafting a tall corner that can be converted to safety, but that looks to be a 3rd/4th round move.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭crunchie44

Thought I was the only Bears fan around!!! haha delighted I found this thread.

l, like you guys, was devastated when Rams took Donald at 13. I didn't think he would be around at 14 but once he fell past Giants I thought he was ours. Just didn't see Rams adding Donald to an already stellar D-line.

Honestly with Donald off the board l was expecting Clinton Dix or Pryor name to be called. Think Safety would've been right call but in saying that Fuller seems to have all the attributes to have impact quickly. NFC North is a tough pass-heavy division so I like him learning his trade off peanut while getting plenty of game time.

The run on safetys after has hurt us. we needed a top player there. With them gone surely we go for DT in 2nd? who do you guys like look of the remaining DT's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

2 round pick..... Ego Ferguson.

Makes sense over Nix I guess if we staying in 4-3. Dream now is to trade up in 3rd and take Garoppolo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭crunchie44

Ferguson was strange for me. Needs to develop and I think 51st was too soon. Sutton I like. Big talk about how he has got his weight back down to where it was when he was All American. Excited to see what he can bring.

Overall Emery draft is strange so far. Considering the QB's we face I think safety had to be addressed early in draft. On the clock at 14 with Donald swiped from under us I expected Pryor or at least Clinton-Dix to be called. Fuller is a big talent but I think CB could be addressed next year. It definitely wasn't a glaring need.

One I look for in next few rounds is De'Anthony Thomas. Undersized but amazing speed. with Hester gone we could do with explosive kick returner and maybe get him some touches on offence to see if you can give the opponent something else to think about

Just so there is no aftertiming (when i moan :pac:)

Players I'd be very happy with in first few rounds (realistically):

Donald
    Fuller
    Pryor
    Gilbert
    Nix
    Ealy (not at 14 though)
    Kareem Martin
    Mosley
    Murphy
    Carrun Reid
    Easley
    Anthony Johnson
    Ego Ferguson
    Scott Crichton
    Will Sutton

Players I don't want

Hageman (has phil wrote all over it - would hate it!)
    HHC Dix
    Dee Ford
    Bucannon (in the 1st, happy to get him in the 2nd)
    Bradley Roby
    Christian Jones

Right that's the last post till Sat morning.

Can't wait!

You must be happy enough then pal.

2 DTs in the first 3 is too much imo. If you don't rate the safety class fine but then take a linebacker, another huge need for us.

With this level of investment we better hope the D-line tears it up next year and hides weaknesses behind. Here's to a big day 3 anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm happy enough so far, except with Ego at 51. Could have moved down but maybe that move wasn't available. Not upset with the player drafted, just think it could have been a bit later.

I've heard some say that Pierre Desir (CB) could turn out to be one of the best CBs to come out of the draft this year, but I'm not expecting him to still be there at 117. I would love to trade up for him, he has good size (6'1'', 200lbs), speed and he recorded a 133 inch broad jump at the combine (2nd best overall this year).

At this point, I would rather take someone like him than one of the safeties left on the board. He could be tried at safety like Emery has mentioned, at worst you have drafted a high upside corner with 2nd/3rd round talent.

Advertisement