Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All you are getting is the cab itself, flat packed, fittings included but, as the azd says, everything electrical is not included, including the controller and the monitor.
    Just as well really...

edit...
    These are the same cabs that the Gremlin Solutions are selling,
    http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/xarcade.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, so it's just some wood cut in a shape to resemble a cab? What a rip off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

o1s1n wrote: »

Not even a good looking cab in fairness, ive seen better flatpacks available.

Do you think you could build something that's cut and finished to a similar standard, sell it for cheaper and still make enough to cover your materials, manhours and also make a profit on top?

If you can't then its not really fair to call it a rip-off. If you build one for yourself at the weekend then you're not thinking of the manhour costs and the need to make a profit.

Not to mention ebay and paypal both rape you with fees so the seller isn't going to be getting anywhere near that price.

Master of the Universe

Do you think you could build something that's cut and finished to a similar standard, sell it for cheaper and still make enough to cover your materials, manhours and also make a profit on top?

If you can't then its not really fair to call it a rip-off. If you build one for yourself at the weekend then you're not thinking of the manhour costs and the need to make a profit.

Not to mention ebay and paypal both rape you with fees so the seller isn't going to be getting anywhere near that price.

You'd build something like this for one of two reasons -

For the love of it.
    To make a profit.

If you're building it for the love of it (manhours aside) you can make something far better than that for far less.

If you're building them to make a profit, that's a completely different story. Just because something takes a lot of man hours to put together does not mean the end product is worth the asking price. I could spend weeks building Brian Cowen's face out of match sticks. Does that mean the end product is worth the man hours I put into it?

It all comes down to whether or not people want such a product (and are willing to pay accordingly) This item (it's basically a glorified shelf) costs almost 450 euro. For that you could get a real fully functioning arcade machine.

Maybe the phrase 'waste of money' is more apt than 'rip off'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

You'd build something like this for one of two reasons -

For the love of it.
    To make a profit.

If you're building it for the love of it (manhours aside) you can make something far better than that for far less.

If you're building them to make a profit, that's a completely different story. Just because something takes a lot of man hours to put together does not mean the end product is worth the asking price. I could spend weeks building Brian Cowen's face out of match sticks. Does that mean the end product is worth the man hours I put into it?

It all comes down to whether or not people want such a product (and are willing to pay accordingly) This item (it's basically a glorified shelf) costs almost 450 euro. For that you could get a real fully functioning arcade machine.

Maybe the phrase 'waste of money' is more apt than 'rip off'.

You're damn right, I though i was the only one looking at and thinking "it's a funking shelf, WTF!".
    And you could definitely pick up some sort of real arcade machine for that kind of money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm surprised someone call Serge in Ikea hasn't made one yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/games/4048420

The condition of this makes me sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jesus thats rough :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

"Pristine" Zelda with ripped manual and marked box only 90 euro.

http://www.adverts.ie/2208102

Four boxed Pokemon games and a small assortment of other loose gameboy stuff, yours for only 800.:eek:

http://www.adverts.ie/2208218

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Four boxed Pokemon games and a small assortment of other loose gameboy stuff, yours for only 800.:eek:

http://www.adverts.ie/2208218

Thinly veiled make me an offer.

ahyeahok wrote: »
    Thinly veiled make me an offer.

Maybe so, but give your self a chance of getting an offer by asking even 250 for the lot. Would it even be worth 150?

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Not a bad price though, the monitor, psu and board is worth more than €50 alone and it does say make me an offer

Master of the Universe

Not a bad price though, the monitor, psu and board is worth more than €50 alone and it does say make me an offer

Exactly what I was thinking. If I had the space and a van I'd be all over it.

• Advertisement

Yeah this probably isn't the thread for it, it was more the condition than the price I was posting it for...!

Yeah this probably isn't the thread for it, it was more the condition than the price I was posting it for...!
    Pretty sure he had that up for 300 at first. I remember thinking it was a ridiculous price. Any ideas what that cab was originally?

keithgeo wrote: »
    Pretty sure he had that up for 300 at first. I remember thinking it was a ridiculous price. Any ideas what that cab was originally?
    Yup, it was 300 when I posted it. Didn't realise it had changed, and as I'm not too knowledgable about cab pricing I thought the two lads were justifying that original pricetag...!

yeh i was thinking, its a bargain at 50 if the board and screen etc work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Would you look at this cowboy, 35 quid for a zelda cart? Good luck with that.

http://www.adverts.ie/2209455

:p:p

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Would you look at this cowboy, 35 quid for a zelda cart? Good luck with that.

http://www.adverts.ie/2209455

:p:p

I reckon €25 is the price for it, but god forbid I put that price on Adverts with all the "offer 10" crap that goes on.

As I said in the other thread, prices adjusted for advertsitus where applicable :p I'll drop it down to €30 actually, there's a fair few boxed ones on ebay for good money

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    I reckon €25 is the price for it, but god forbid I put that price on Adverts with all the "offer 10" crap that goes on.

As I said in the other thread, prices adjusted for advertsitus where applicable :pI'll drop it down to €30 actually, there's a fair few boxed ones on ebay for good money

Jeebus no don't do that I was only joking dude. You have to price things high to counter the inevitable idiotic low bids. I have no clue what those are really worth anyway.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Jeebus no don't do that I was only joking dude. You have to price things high to counter the inevitable idiotic low bids. I have no clue what those are really worth anyway.

Cart only I'd guess at €20/25, boxed ones more obviously. Not this much more though - http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/zelda/2208102 :D

Few boxed ones on Ebay for around the £35/40 mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, Majora's mask is one of those games where the box and manual don't seem to add much value (unless in A1 mint condition).
    €20-€25 is about right, so €30 leaves some nice haggling room.

yeah, Majora's mask is one of those games where the box and manual don't seem to add much value (unless in A1 mint condition).

Yeah bit weird like that, especially given its a Zelda title :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

$17,900 for a limited edition Pac-Man watch.. nice but damn that's pricey

Romain-Jerome-Pac-Man-watch-7.jpg

http://www.ablogtoread.com/romain-jerome-pac-man-watches/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

$17,900 for a limited edition Pac-Man watch.. nice but damn that's pricey

Romain-Jerome-Pac-Man-watch-7.jpg

http://www.ablogtoread.com/romain-jerome-pac-man-watches/

Nice, very pricey though!
    Chinese knock-off in 3....2....1...GO!!

Just commented on the manky Snes, probably get myself a warning but, glob damn it, my natural sense of justice and fair play must have an outlet!!

• Advertisement

Ciderman, Ciderman, about to get him-self a ban ;)

It was a fair comment, he was trying to off load that Snes a while ago. I just can understand why there was no takers:rolleyes:

Got my post on the ad removed. :(
    I feel just terrible...

I'm no longer suprised at the amount of bad PS2 games on Adverts. There can be bundles of over fifty games with not one decent one among them. I have a small enough collection of ps2 games myself but I enjoyed them all. I wish I could set a filter on adverts blocking ads that contained the words Fifa, Buzz and 50Cent the game not the coin.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Got my post on the ad removed. :(
    I feel just terrible...

No ya don't:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

hang on
    "AV Multi Out Very Rare SNES Super Nintendo"?
    Pretty much every snes I've seen has that AV out?
    And you can pick up several snes's with more games on adverts for around half that price? So basically jacked up price for something that's allegedly a rare feature but isnt? Surely that needs reporting?

Dr Bob wrote: »
    hang on
    And you can pick up several snes's with more games on adverts for around half that price? So basically jacked up price for something that's allegedly a rare feature but isnt? Surely that needs reporting?

I've yet to see ANY Snes without that port! And as for reporting it? I don't think much action can/would be taken. Caveat Emptor after all :(

I've yet to see ANY Snes without that port! And as for reporting it? I don't think much action can/would be taken. Caveat Emptor after all :(
    Surely by that logic I could claim that any of the games I'm selling on adverts are super rare and jack up the pri.....er.....heh ..back in a minute!

• Advertisement

Surely by that logic I could claim that any of the games I'm selling on adverts are super rare and jack up the pri.....er.....heh ..back in a minute!
    I should add that the one game on adverts I have marked as rare ('D' on the PS1) actually is :)

Yep, because I would imagine the mods would be asking you to define 'rare'. Label them how you want & charge what you want seems to be the order of the day

is there much wiggle room on that €25 btw? I was looking at getting it on the Saturn via ebay, but might buy yours for the right price.

hang on

If its priced too high it won't sell. Who cares?

Nobody gets ripped off on something that doesnt sell. If the seller wants to waste his time with a daft price then good luck to him.

So long as they're not constantly bumping the item or interfering with other peoples ads I couldn't give two hoots about it. Winding the seller up just creates more work and hassle for the mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

keithgeo wrote: »
    I'd guess it was Arkanoid.

is there much wiggle room on that €25 btw? I was looking at getting it on the Saturn via ebay, but might buy yours for the right price.
    I'd consider going 20 + postage (or collection)
    Its over at :
    http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/rare-playstation-game-d-warp/2222831
    if you're interested

• Advertisement

If its priced too high it won't sell. Who cares?

Nobody gets ripped off on something that doesnt sell. If the seller wants to waste his time with a daft price then good luck to him.

So long as they're not constantly bumping the item or interfering with other peoples ads I couldn't give two hoots about it. Winding the seller up just creates more work and hassle for the mods.
    you have a point , there is the idea that something is worth exactly what people will pay for it.
    The other side of the coin is that most of the lads here would have a rough idea whats rare and what isnt, and you hate to see someone unwittingly spending way over the odds on something .
    Caveat emptor I guess ;)

you have a point , there is the idea that something is worth exactly what people will pay for it.
    The other side of the coin is that most of the lads here would have a rough idea whats rare and what isnt, and you hate to see someone unwittingly spending way over the odds on something .
    Caveat emptor I guess ;)

Not only that but when people are paying over the odds for stuff like retro games, it fukcs up the real pricing for actual collectors. Anyone remember the boxed PS1's for €35? Yeah, thought so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

These over priced games and consoles are giving people the wrong perception of what they are worth. They haven't a clue what their SNES is worth but when they see battered old SNES, yellowed as Steptoe's teeth and not even with all the cables for 150 stingers they get cash in the attic fever and think that theirs is worth more even though that first one will never sell. Pretty much all the fair priced stuff on adverts has dried up because of this.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    These over priced games and consoles are giving people the wrong perception of what they are worth. They haven't a clue what their SNES is worth but when they see battered old SNES, yellowed as Steptoe's teeth and not even with all the cables for 150 stingers they get cash in the attic fever and think that theirs is worth more even though that first one will never sell. Pretty much all the fair priced stuff on adverts has dried up because of this.

It makes no difference if someone sees an overpriced ad and thinks their SNES is worth 150.

If something is overpriced it won't sell. The seller will either have to drop the price, or it'll sit there unsold.

If something is overpriced it won't sell

If only that were true. You see dirt being bought every day for over odds money, & once an item sells for over the odds, it affects what relative items are worth. It all has a knock on affect.

Your right in that the likes of that filthy rare av port Snes won't sell at that money, but there are many other examples of stuff that has sold over the odds.

RAGE for example get over the odds, near retail prices for games don't they? In such a case, thats going to affect peoples perception of what those games are actually worth

• Advertisement
Advertisement