Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Stark wrote: »
    Galway-Ballinastoe was an offline build though. It's much faster as you don't have to try to keep bits of the road open while you work on it. The M50 upgrade by contrast took 3 years to complete. 2 years for two junctions seems quite excessive though, I'm sure they must be applying the Ryanair school of deadline management.

I'm sure 18 months was mentioned somewhere. Bonuses and penalties for on time completion will play a part also. They'll be doing a lot of night work as with the Kinsale Rd flyover.

Whatever about timeframes etc, it really is good to see this project started - it will make a big difference to local traffic. Hopefully Dunkettle can be sorted in the meantime also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

blindsider wrote: »
    I'm sure 18 months was mentioned somewhere. Bonuses and penalties for on time completion will play a part also. They'll be doing a lot of night work as with the Kinsale Rd flyover.

Whatever about timeframes etc, it really is good to see this project started - it will make a big difference to local traffic. Hopefully Dunkettle can be sorted in the meantime also.

I think it should take a lot of traffic out of Bishopstown on top of free up both roundabouts and the SRR.

A lot of people go through Wilton and Bishopstown in order to avoid those two roundabouts. Travelling West out of Cork City centre, the Wilton road from Victoria Cross all the way to Sarsfields Road Roundabout is like a wall to traffic. Only 4 junctions that allow traffic through it. At least now one of those junctions will allow west-east traffic flow without traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Heading towards Dunkettle from the tunnel side is going to be mental when these two roundabouts are done.

how so? there may be a slight increase in traffic using that route but the overall volume will be much as now surely

corktina wrote: »
    how so? there may be a slight increase in traffic using that route but the overall volume will be much as now surely

Just say there is a 1/2 mile backup going east into the Sarsfields Roundabout. Remove the roundabout, and you will add this 1/2 of backed up traffic to the backup from the tunnel. If there is 1/2 mile at the Bandon roundabout and you are adding another half a mile to the tunnel backup.

This isn't a major problem in itself. However, if the backup comes up to the Kinsale Road Roundabout, it cause traffic chaos with traffic trying to merge into a backup. Another issue is if this cause the traffic going to the tunnel to be backed up past the Bloomfield interchange. This will directly affect traffic moving east attempting to leave the SRR via the Bloomfield Interchange. If there is no backup past this interchange, this traffic movement would not be affected.

In the end, if you take the South Ring Road alone, the two roundabout at present only break up the backed up traffic into bite size pieces. Remove them and you are adding it to the next backup. In the end, the total amount of cars backed up will be the same. They will just be backed up in a different place.

However, removing these two roundabouts will hugely benefit traffic going west and all other movements on the roundabouts.

However, this will piss me off no end. I use the tunnel but only ever join the SRR at Kinsale Roundabout. In essance, those joining the SRR after Sarsfield Roundabout will now also get their fill of the former backups at those roundabouts too. A motorway network is only as good as it's worst junction.

Just say there is a 1/2 mile backup going east into the Sarsfields Roundabout. Remove the roundabout, and you will add this 1/2 of backed up traffic to the backup from the tunnel. If there is 1/2 mile at the Bandon roundabout and you are adding another half a mile to the tunnel backup.

thats a bit of a myth imho
    The thing is that 1/2 mile tailback will also have got to the roundabout quicker and be long gone. If the overall traffic flow rate is about the same, then the tailback at Dunkettle will also still be the same speeding the overall journey for all.

• Advertisement

thats a bit of a myth imho
    The thing is that 1/2 mile tailback will also have got to the roundabout quicker and be long gone. If the overall traffic flow rate is about the same, then the tailback at Dunkettle will also still be the same speeding the overall journey for all.

That is simply not true.

Imagine two bags of sand, each with a hole in the bottom. One bag is on top of the other. The hole in the bottom of one is leaving sand in the top of the other.

If the hole are leaving the same volume of sand through, then the bag at the bottom will continue to contain the same volume of sand. However, if you double the volume of sand passing through the top bag, then the bottom bag will start to fill up as the sand simply can't get through the bottom one.

However, it will still take exactly the same about of time for both bags of sand to empty as the hole the bottom bag is the limiting factor for the entire system.

In the end, both the Sarsfield junction and the Dunkettle Interchange allow the same amount of traffic flow through them. You can only improve a traffic system be removing the worst junction. As the Dunkettle junction is just as bad as both Sarsfields and Bandon in terms of no of vehicles per hour, then the overall system is not being improved.

In fact, give that Dunkettle is an interchange of two national routes, I would imagine that Dunkettle as it expieriences even more traffic that Sarsfields or Bandon, then that it is indeed the weak link itself.

This is of course assuming that the majority of traffic travelling eastwards after Sarsfields will continue on the SRR.

if you can get through the current two junctions quicker, you will arrive at the Dunkettle roundabout sooner AND SO WILL EVERYONE ELSE, so you arent catching up the guys in front of you anymore than you are now. The volume of traffic will remain the same except NOONE will get held up at the current bottleneck leaving only the Dunkettle to contend with. SO there'll only be the same volume hitting the Dunkettle as now and the same tailback IMHO.

"if you double the volume of sand passing through the top bag" you arent doubling the volume, its jsut the same

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Except that not everyone passing through the Sarsfield Road and Wilton roundabouts is heading towards Dunkettle.

Stark wrote: »
    Except that not everyone passing through the Sarsfield Road and Wilton roundabouts is heading towards Dunkettle.

See the last line of my previous post.

"if you double the volume of sand passing through the top bag" you arent doubling the volume, its jsut the same

In the end, the sand in the top bag will take exactly the same length of time to get through both bags. However, it will exit the top bag earlier and remain in the bottom bag for longer.

If this isn't true, it would mean more sand is getting through the bottom bag faster, eventhough the hole in the bottom bag is exactly the same size. Simply impossible.

• Advertisement

i know its hard to get your head around but there is still only the same volume of traffic passing, the only difference is none of it is getting delayed at Sarsfield rd meaning that the first car and the last one (and every other car) are running earlier than they would be by the same amount. They are arriving in the queue at the tunnel ealier than they otherwise would be by the same amount, therefore the queue is no longer than it would have been previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I think the cue will become longer at the tunnel, I see what you are saying about the same volume of traffic, but cars will get to the tunnel quicker. They will be going through the tunnel at the same rate as now, so it makes sense that if cars are getting to the tunnel quicker and the flow through the tunnel stays at the same rate the cue will be longer, classic bottle neck.

ALL the cars will get to the tunnel quicker including those in the queue...which will be clearing the junction at the same rate as now, only sooner.

The same arguement was put out about delays at Monastervan iirc when the Kildare bypass opened. Needless to say, the delays there got no worse and the overall journey was quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same argument for Newland's cross after the N7 upgrade as well I remember. The analogy with the bags of sand is useless as a road network is nothing like a single point of entry/exit system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I think we can argue about this Dunkettle bottleneck until the actual event of the CSRR interchanges opening, but I guess the point that AugustusMinimus is making is that in allowing all the traffic to build up at Dunkettle instead of having two smaller queues, there may be knock-on effects elsewhere such as the N27 at the Kinsale Road Interchange. If the queue does go back as far as there, it might clog up the N27 too via the East facing slips. The actual journey times on the N25 Eastbound at peak times might remain the same - depending how much traffic will diverge for the N27, Douglas, N28 and Mahon Point. IMO, the important thing is to get the Dunkettle Upgrade done ASAP and properly - no shortcuts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Gonna repeat my old post here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65401331&postcount=62
    One simple question I ask myself is "how many people drive from Ballincollig to Dunkettle at rush hour?"

The last roundabout before Dunkettle is at Sarsfield Rd. Is every car waiting at that roundabout going to go through the tunnel? There are 6 exits before the tunnel:
    1) Togher
    2) Turner's X, City Center (Link), Airport
    3) Douglas (West)
    4) Douglas (East)
    5) Carrigaline, Rochestown
    6) Mahon Point

An absolutely massive catchment of Cork's population who, if going home, will get off before the tunnel.

I agree there are times when dunkettle backs up really badly, and this can affect the link, and this might be made slightly worse by traffic rapidly approaching, but it'll be infrequent. It's certainly not enough to have an overall negative impact associated with building the flyovers.

How many 'bags of sand' will pour out at these intersections with major population areas? My guess is a lot. This is a pretty advanced queue system. Yes the arrival rate of cars to the tunnel will be less controlled, and at certain times there may be anomalies, but overall I think the effect on the system will be positive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

People had the same predictions that removing the lights at Baldonnel, Rathcoole, Kill etc would lead to traffic from Newlands Cross going back to Kill in the mornings.

It doesn't. Indeed despite NX having identical capacity to before the queues are far shorter than before due to the Red Cow being altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Start date 6th July! Whoop Whoop!

28th June 2011
    Re: N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    Wednesday 6th July 2011 has now been established as the contract start date for the above scheme. Cork City Council
    have appointed SIAC Construction Ltd. to carry out the works. Arup Consulting Engineers will act as Cork City
    Council’s representatives for the Contract and RPS Ltd. will act as SIAC’s designer’s for the Scheme.
    The Scheme comprises the upgrading of over 3km of the N25 South Ring Road including:
    • Grade separation at Sarsfield Road Roundabout and Bandon Road Roundabout.
    • Construction of a realigned dual carriageway along the new route.
    • Construction of new parallel link roads between Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road.
    • Demolition of existing pedestrian bridges at Sarsfield Road Roundabout and near Bandon Road Roundabout.
    • New cycleways and footpaths.
    • Installation of traffic signals, signage including gantry signs, public lighting, noise barriers, etc.
    A scale model indicating the scope of works to be carried out as part of the scheme is on display in the foyer of County
    Hall – this area is open to the public during normal office hours.
    A two year construction period has been indicated giving an initial contract completion date of July 2013.
    Preliminary works will be getting underway over the coming days. These will include survey works, identification and
    location of existing services, establishment of site office, material deliveries to site etc. These preliminary works will
    continue for a number of weeks and no disruption to traffic flow is anticipated during this period.
    Preliminary works include the setting up of a project office on site. Contact details for this project office will be
    circulated in due course. Also, a 24 hour freephone helpline will be established for the duration of the construction phase
    – again contact details will be circulated in due course. Pending completion of the onsite office queries should be
    channeled to the above telephone number or directly to site staff via the following mobile numbers:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Nice!

For those who want to keep up to date with progress:
    Regular progress updates will be issued throughout the construction phase highlighting any milestone events and also advising on any anticipated disruption to traffic. These updates will be carried on the National Road Design Office website www.corkrdo.ie.

The National Road Design Office website can be accessed via either the Cork City Council www.corkcity.ie website or the Cork County Council website www.corkcoco.ie.

Those who are interested in obtaining the progress updates directly by email should forward their email address using the contact details above.

A 60km per hour speed limit will be in place in the works area throughout the construction phase and the cooperation of motorists using the route is requested in order to ensure that the project can be safely completed.

The email address mentioned is: n25@ccc-site.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

*gasp* - Finally I have a major new road construction project to list on my site! It's been a lonely few months...

• Advertisement

I hope you guys are right.

My thoughts are only that, thoughts. Obviously, all the traffic heading east from Sarsfields roundabout won't be all going through dunkettle too.

Do we have any drawings yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Do we have any drawings yet ?
    Overall:
    mainline.jpg

Bandon Flyover:
    bandon.jpg
    bandon2.jpg
    n25bandondrawings.jpg

Sarsfield Flyover:
    sarsfield.jpg
    Top = to Wilton
    sarsfield2.jpg
    sarsfieldroundabout.jpg

Interesting design.

Am I right in saying, on exiting Sarsfields roundabout, travelling westwards, you will have to also negotiate the Bandon roundabout before getting onto the mainline South Ring Road ?

Looks to be the same when exiting the Bandon Roundabout travelling eastwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Interesting design.

Am I right in saying, on exiting Sarsfields roundabout, travelling westwards, you will have to also negotiate the Bandon roundabout before getting onto the mainline South Ring Road ?

I noticed that aswell. If that is the case then there will still be tailbacks (although not as bad as the current situation) between Bandon and Sarsfield R'abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Hogzy wrote: »
    I noticed that aswell. If that is the case then there will still be tailbacks (although not as bad as the current situation) between Bandon and Sarsfield R'abouts.

I was thinking that looking at those plans. If it is that way is that badly designed or are they just basically making a local road between the bandon and sarsfield roundabouts and having the flyovers/dual carrigway as a completely seperate system if you know what I mean?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You're half right. Looks like the westbound movement will be like this but not eastbound. I see Bandon to Sars allowing a merge to the mainline before the Sars roundabout.
    For a city the size of Cork, this is a pretty impressive upgrade. Full GS and six lanes!
    Now Ringaskiddy and Dunkettle please!

spacetweek wrote: »
    You're half right. Looks like the westbound movement will be like this but not eastbound. I see Bandon to Sars allowing a merge to the mainline before the Sars roundabout.

Looks that way alright.

Although, to access Sarsfields travelling westwards, you'll first have to go through the Bandon roundabout by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Although, to access Sarsfields travelling westwards, you'll first have to go through the Bandon roundabout by the looks of things.

What do you mean? If travelling west you arrive at Sarsfield before Bandon and there is an off ramp for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jagblad

• Grade separation at Sarsfield Road Roundabout and Bandon Road Roundabout.
    • Construction of a realigned dual carriageway along the new route.
    • Construction of new parallel link roads between Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road.
    Not to seem ungrateful but does this wording seem less ambitious than what the pictures above indicate?

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    What do you mean? If travelling west you arrive at Sarsfield before Bandon and there is an off ramp for it.

Sorry. Should have said eastwards.

Appears to be no slip road when travelling eastwards directly onto the Sarsfields Roundabout. Have to go through Bandon first.

Advertisement