Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car engine oil

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

I have never used the north sea stuff but i am wondering if the stuff you got happened to be from a bad batch.
    Surely if it was usually this bad, nobody would be using it.
    could well have been from a bad batch,but my first experience is definitely my last,has anyone on this thread ever used it for a full oil change rather than just topping up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have never used the north sea stuff but i am wondering if the stuff you got happened to be from a bad batch.
    Surely if it was usually this bad, nobody would be using it.

...or the wrong type? The labeling is pretty poor and it took me a few minutes to find the one I wanted.

...or the wrong type? The labeling is pretty poor and it took me a few minutes to find the one I wanted.
    its the 10w40 part synthetic I got but was like water,got the same type of Castrol ( my usual) and you can see the difference between them,either way the old reliable done the job for me yet again :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    its the 10w40 part synthetic I got but was like water,got the same type of Castrol ( my usual) and you can see the difference between them,either way the old reliable done the job for me yet again :cool:

There are a few different 10w-40s listed - http://www.northsealubricants.com/passenger_car_motor_oils.html

There are a few different 10w-40s listed - http://www.northsealubricants.com/passenger_car_motor_oils.html
    it was the guy in the motor factors store who selected the oil for me after looking up the reg on his computer.went to another MF,same story,asked for Castrol and no issues thank fcuk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

jca wrote: »
    Really? I'd love to see it.
    Avns1s wrote: »
    So would I, supported by some evidence that whatever the problem was, that it wouldn't have been caused by using any other oil the same way.

Castrol would be regarded as a premium oil and would be recommended my many manufacturers including BMW.

Also, it's worth noting that there are many "Castrol oils" and that you can do as much damage using oil of the wrong spec as you can using "inferior" oil or by not changing oil on time.
    corkgsxr wrote: »
    So a engine very prone to sludging. Maybe the reason the car kept going fine is because it had castrol?

Here ye go, I know you'l jump to the "oh its because its a saab line" I bought the car off a guy who swore by using castrol when i got it i took it home and took it off the road, dropped the sump and here's what came out, pickup strainer was blocked to the last

2il07j9.jpg
    24noak4.jpg
    14mut92.jpg

And some work later
    34q07s9.jpg

Anyways, it happens due to using the wrong oil and a bad breather system or so i've been lead to believe, ever since I've been using mobil one and checking for sludge where i can, and theres not a spec of it around anyways, that's my side of the argument take what ye want from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

To be fair castrol recommend edge oil not magnatec for the saab.
    From looking at saab forums on the web they all say that if you use Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, you wont have any bother.

To be fair castrol recommend edge oil not magnatec for the saab.
    From looking at saab forums on the web they all say that if you use Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, you wont have any bother.

I asked the guy when i was buying it what he put in during his time owning the car and proud as punch he goes "4.5 litres of castrols finest magnatec 10w40!"

I was a bit worried, for good reason too, ever since I've used mobil one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Here ye go, I know you'l jump to the "oh its because its a saab line" I bought the car off a guy who swore by using castrol when i got it i took it home and took it off the road, dropped the sump and here's what came out, pickup strainer was blocked to the last

Anyways, it happens due to using the wrong oil and a bad breather system or so i've been lead to believe, ever since I've been using mobil one and checking for sludge where i can, and theres not a spec of it around anyways, that's my side of the argument take what ye want from it

Was he the first and only owner? :p

Just because one owner keeps the car right, doesn't mean they all did. That was probably the first time in that cars life the sump was off. Hence it's pretty unfair to judge Mobil1 vs Castrol based on what you've observed since. If you used Mobil 1 for the next... 15? years, then checked the sump again and posted a comparison, you'd have an idea of how good Mobil1 was but not castrol, because you can't guarantee that it's the only oil ever used until you bought it.

Just because one owner keeps the car right, doesn't mean they all did. That was probably the first time in that cars life the sump was off. Hence it's pretty unfair to judge Mobil1 vs Castrol based on what you've observed since. If you used Mobil 1 for the next... 15? years, then checked the sump again and posted a comparison, you'd have an idea of how good Mobil1 was but not castrol, because you can't guarantee that it's the only oil ever used until you bought it.

Second actually ;)

I'll get back to you on which is better in the next year or so, I'm dropping it again in another 50K just to see anyways, I'm just posting what my experience of it has been, it's going to differ from person to person like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I asked the guy when i was buying it what he put in during his time owning the car and proud as punch he goes "4.5 litres of castrols finest magnatec 10w40!"

I was a bit worried, for good reason too, ever since I've used mobil one

Castrol say 0w30 edge oil so 10w40 magnatec wont help an engine that is known for sludge. I would like to see how the right castrol oil gets on but I wouldnt experiment with my own car.

There are a lot of threads on this on SAAB owners club sites and the consensus seems to be use Mobil 1. Given the experience people have with Mobil 1 with the SAAB engines of that vintage I think you have to go along with it just to be safe.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The irony of a fully synthetic oil being called North Sea Oil.
    have you used it?apparently it was semi synthetic I got,but since I put Castrol in she is good to go again thank god :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Castrol is a very overrated oil imo, nothing special about it at all imo. Those old accents aren't immune from oil burning issues, its actually common enough on those early examples.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Castrol is a very overrated oil imo, nothing special about it at all imo. Those old accents aren't immune from oil burning issues, its actually common enough on those early examples.
    it failed the NCT on emissions,high idle,it was burning oil,the valve seals were gone in it I think,i got rid of it today,so its all 1.4 VW engine motors and Hyundai accents are to be avoided for future :D

Advertisement