Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car engine oil

Options
  • 17-07-2014 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

seen this stuff called north sea recently and it was €10 for 5L,so i got it for my car,now its smokey,avoid this oil,back to castrol for me without a doubt!anyone had this issue???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

In fairness what did you expect for a tenner!
    Micksgarage has some great deals on total oil at the mo,try there.
    Thanks for the heads up on that stuff though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

magentis wrote: »
    In fairness what did you expect for a tenner!
    Micksgarage has some great deals on total oil at the mo,try there.
    Thanks for the heads up on that stuff though!

i'll be getting castrol in my local MF tomorrow cant go wrong with it but avoid North Sea oil

what car is it for?

what car is it for?

hyundai accent 1.3 its a 00

Castrol gtx is your only man.

• Advertisement

Castrol gtx is your only man.
    it always was,chanced a different brand,didnt work,back to usual brand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

From seeing the inside of a couple of engines using castrol I wouldn't use it either. Seems to be glorified chip pan ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

€10 for 5l. For that price it wasn't far short of water. :rolleyes: I've used Castrol Edge for the last 10 years and can't fault it. Not cheap, but it's the engine that's at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

From seeing the inside of a couple of engines using castrol I wouldn't use it either. Seems to be glorified chip pan ****e

I can attest to this statement, I've proof to back it up too ;)

• Advertisement

Tropheus wrote: »
    €10 for 5l. For that price it wasn't far short of water. :rolleyes: I've used Castrol Edge for the last 10 years and can't fault it. Not cheap, but it's the engine that's at stake.

yeah i was able to see the difference in the 2 oils one like water the other seems thicker and both are 10/40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Alway buy from your local motor factor , and only use the specified oil....simples.

Alway buy from your local motor factor , and only use the specified oil....simples.

it is my local but that weird stuff is now all they sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I've heard of the north sea stuff...not bad apparently , theres a chance there is some other issue with your engine too.

I've heard of the north sea stuff...not bad apparently , theres a chance there is some other issue with your engine too.

engine was fine before i put it in and is now good ith castrol,north sea aint very common though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I use castrol in everything mighty oil.

My gsxr went from 98.8 with silcoline to 109.98 with castrol. No other changes to the bike.

And for a 11 year old bike the engine is in top condition.

corkgsxr wrote: »

My gsxr went from 98.8 with silcoline to 109.98 with castrol. No other changes to the bike.

i agree!!!a gallon of castrol for €18 is the job!well worth it

Magnatec was used religiously in my car, and when we dropped the sump on it well yeah it wasn't pretty

Magnatec was used religiously in my car, and when we dropped the sump on it well yeah it wasn't pretty

What car

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What car

Saab...

• Advertisement

Saab...

was that a diesel 95???

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    was that a diesel 95???

Petrol 95 I know they've a reputation but none the less

Petrol 95 I know they've a reputation but none the less
    i was offered a 2.0 petrol version recently ,full leather interior ,140k on it,all for 300 euro,all was good until I discovered it needed a bottom end rebuild.did yours OP?

i was offered a 2.0 petrol version recently ,full leather interior ,140k on it,all for 300 euro,all was good until I discovered it needed a bottom end rebuild.did yours OP?

Nope thankfully I've went a bit all out to make sure it doesn't happen but anyways story for another day and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

seen this stuff called north sea recently and it was €10 for 5L,so i got it for my car,now its smokey,avoid this oil,back to castrol for me without a doubt!anyone had this issue???

Where did you get that for a tenner? I use it to top up a Focus with no issues.

Where did you get that for a tenner? I use it to top up a Focus with no issues.

got it on a trip home to Cork,never. again will i buy it,very watery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Really? I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

jca wrote: »
    Really? I'd love to see it.

So would I, supported by some evidence that whatever the problem was, that it wouldn't have been caused by using any other oil the same way.

Castrol would be regarded as a premium oil and would be recommended my many manufacturers including BMW.

Also, it's worth noting that there are many "Castrol oils" and that you can do as much damage using oil of the wrong spec as you can using "inferior" oil or by not changing oil on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I have never used the north sea stuff but i am wondering if the stuff you got happened to be from a bad batch.
    Surely if it was usually this bad, nobody would be using it.

• Advertisement

Nope thankfully I've went a bit all out to make sure it doesn't happen but anyways story for another day and all that

So a engine very prone to sludging. Maybe the reason the car kept going fine is because it had castrol?

Advertisement