Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2011

Options
  • 09-05-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just thought id get a RWC thread going as i havent found anyone else on here talking about it plus its only 4 months away now, i myself will be watching it on Setanta HD as they'll be showing every game live, but would rather watch it on RTE but they havent got a HD channel up on UPC/Sky yet, or does anyone know if they will?, and when?

My prediction is New Zealand will have this won, i know they have choked in the last few world cups but this 1 is on their own turf and i could see their government bringing back the death penalty for treason if they lost.

Who do people reckon will win?, could we win or will our mental weakness in big tournaments hit us again like it did in the last RWC and 2010, 2011 6 nations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Jofspring

With the times some games look like they are going to be on it could be on the old laptop a few games get watched.

Think we will actually do better than we think. Kidney has a nack for slowly trickling along and then when the big occasions come getting the team to step up. Hopefully he can do this again with Ireland in the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Surely the rugby will be in HD on RTE Two on Saorview...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

tallpaul wrote: »
    Surely the rugby will be in HD on RTE Two on Saorview...

Yes indeed.

I will be watching on RTÉ Two HD and ITV1 HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 speks121

What times are the games on? will we need to set our alarms for late night viewing to watch live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

itv by way of itv 2 and itv 3 + itv 4 will be showing every match afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

irishh_bob wrote: »

Sshhh, don't mention those channels, there might be UPC customers about :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

speks121 wrote: »
    What times are the games on? will we need to set our alarms for late night viewing to watch live?

You can change the displayed times to Irish time...

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/fixtures/calendar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

I think we have a decent chance of ding wel, especially with Kidney in charge. The big game is obviously Australia, and who knows if we make it a scrappy kicking affair and just make it awkward for Oz we could be in with a shout. Of course that also depends on whether Jonny has his kicking boots on. Although every time I see him play for Ireland hes better than the last time.

So, that could leave us top, and then playing Wales in a quarter final, if South Africa top that group, and then maybe France in a semi. Id be very confident of taking Wales on, and then who knows with France.

And then a final is a final!

Although this path to a final is very optimistic, and depends on a lot of different things happening. I can't wait for it to start personally, and just hope we show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

When you project the overwhelming liklihoods regarding group progression, our entire world cup hinges on getting a result against Australia.

If we don't we'll be in the bottom end along with possibly all SH teams except Australia so it would likely be South Africa we'd bang into in the quarters. Even should we overcome them next up would be New Zealand so basically we're doomed if Australia beat us.

Sounds pesimistic but on the other hand if we beat Australia (And assuming we suffer no massive upsets) then there's noone we would fear in the top half of the draw (Likely France, Wales & England) and we'd have as good a chance as any of them of reaching the final!

Australia are gonna be one tough nut to crack though. Saturday 17th September, 09:30. Everything depends on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

smurf22 wrote: »
    Just thought id get a RWC thread going as i havent found anyone else on here talking about it plus its only 4 months away now

There was quite a long thread about it over on Rugby recently, now where was it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056300687
    i myself will be watching it on Setanta HD as they'll be showing every game live, but would rather watch it on RTE but they havent got a HD channel up on UPC/Sky yet, or does anyone know if they will?, and when?

The hope is that RTÉ Two HD will be up and running on UPC by then. Sky could be a longer game as Sky have certain requirements for HD content to go on their HD EPG which RTÉ is nowhere near meeting.

It should be pointed out that RTÉ Two will only be showing the opener, Ireland pool games, and all games in the knockout stages. The only reason they have these rights at all is that Ireland's games in the Rugby World Cup are on the Crown Jewels list of protected events which must be shown FTA. Other pool games will be on Setanta and ITV...

I doubt any games will be on ITV2 given its target audience. Actually I'd say most games will be on ITV1 and ITV4. Certainly all of England's games are likely to be on ITV1 given past form.

Also note that while UTV and STV have the ability to opt out for Ireland and Scotland games - and have done so in the past - their ability to opt out between 6:00am and 9:25am is restricted because they don't have a licence to broadcast during these hours (this is the breakfast licence period which is owned by ITV plc) and they would need to pay ITV plc for lost advertising revenue during this period.

TG4 will also have the rights to show delayed coverage of games during daytime (10:30am - 4:00pm if I remember correctly). RTÉ Two will have a daily highlights programme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement