Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CyanogenMod Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Having a bit of a mare since restoring the Nandroid backup.

- Phone won't see the micro SDHC card I have inserted. Tested it in my laptop and I can write to and from it no problem. Re-inserted and went to settings -> storage but it's not there and none of the usual apps can see it either e.g. MX Player. It's a 64 GB card. Is there a 16 or 32GB limit on CM by any chance? Don't have another SDHC card to try in the office but will insert a different card later to test.

- Phone is freezing a lot on all sorts of run of the mill activites.

- Phone lost the previously stored password for my work WiFi and despite re-entering the password it won't connect. It accepts the password and states "saved and secured with WPA2" but then then it tries to connect it fails stating "Authentication problem". My laptop is connected to the same WiFi network fine.

- Phone won't boot into recovery when I use volume up + power + home button. All it does is boot normally. I loaded Rom Manager and can boot into CWM via that ok but the phone won't install Rom Manager Premium for some reason although it is installing app updates etc.

- Downloaded the nightly ZIP and Gapps direct to the download folder on the internal storage and tried flashing the nightly but it fails with "can't open ...... (bad)"

All in all I'm not having a good day :(

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Sounds like the Nandroid didn't restore fully, those are an odd combination of results. Open ROM Manager, reboot to CWM and fully restore to your last Nandroid once again.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Sounds like the Nandroid didn't restore fully, those are an odd combination of results. Open ROM Manager, reboot to CWM and fully restore to your last Nandroid once again.

Reinstalled Nandroid backup there but phone behaving the same i.e. authentication problem with my WiFi network, it doesn't see the external SD card and it fails to update from the nightly zip downloaded to the internal SD card. Also, Play store prompted some app updates which I accepted but whilst two installed correctly one of them failed to install giving the same error I had previously installing ROM Premium i.e. "Couldn't install on USB or SD card."

Sounds to me like there is a Gapps issue in there somewhere.

If I can't go back to a good Nandroid restore and I can't flash CM 11 what's my next move? Factory reset and start again ??? I hope not!!

Is the Helium backup of any use to me at this stage? I guess there is no point restoring app and app data on a bad ROM?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

Got my reception back but SD Card not recognised in phone now.
    Can't even access it from recovery.

I've gone now and flashed back to stock 4.1.2. SD Card visible again

To do:
    Root phone again via Odin.
    Download and install CWM from ROM Manager.
    Flash latest CM11 nightly + Gapps and hope for the best.

I wasn't even really bothered about CM at all but now I'm not going to let it get the better of me!! Gonna keep going until I get it up and running properly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Don't the stock rom and cm rom access the sd card in different locations ?
    Try looked around with root explorer or the likes to find it.
    I think CM stores it in /Emmc/ whereas if memory serves right stock has it under something like Sdcard/ external sd card/ or something along those lines ?

I know the links for internal sd card moved in 4.2.2 as opposed to 4.1.2.
    But for external see above.

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    I think CM stores it in /Emmc/ whereas if memory serves right stock has it under something like Sdcard/ external sd card/ or something along those lines ?

Thanks Ste, tried manually looking for the external SD card using ES File Explorer and automatically using MX Player which just scans everything looking for media files and no joy.

Looks like I'll have to do a factory reset and start again which I'm not looking forward to!!

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks Ste, tried manually looking for the external SD card using ES File Explorer and automatically using MX Player which just scans everything looking for media files and no joy.

Looks like I'll have to do a factory reset and start again which I'm not looking forward to!!

Ben
    Strange one that.
    What about other file explorers ?
    Can you use Titanium backup to find folders on the card ? if you have your backups there ?

Reinstalled Nandroid backup there but phone behaving the same i.e. authentication problem with my WiFi network, it doesn't see the external SD card and it fails to update from the nightly zip downloaded to the internal SD card. Also, Play store prompted some app updates which I accepted but whilst two installed correctly one of them failed to install giving the same error I had previously installing ROM Premium i.e. "Couldn't install on USB or SD card."

Sounds to me like there is a Gapps issue in there somewhere.

If I can't go back to a good Nandroid restore and I can't flash CM 11 what's my next move? Factory reset and start again ??? I hope not!!

Is the Helium backup of any use to me at this stage? I guess there is no point restoring app and app data on a bad ROM?

Ben
    Helium is more of a local backup, your issue here seems to be more system related, very strange behaviour since all the process was correctly followed.

If you use SMSBackup+ for texts, Google Photos for Image Backup, Google Contacts for Contact Backup and Helium for your preferences, you could wipe and upgrade fresh to CM11 + Gapps for 4.4 quite easily. I never do a Nandroid unless for a just in case because as soon as you sign in with your Google account on a new install, it will restore your saved settings, reinstall all your apps, your photos will be stored online, texts in GMail (via SMSBackup+) as well as Contacts, bookmarks with Chrome sync. Very little local data, any that you will have can be moved to the SD card (such as movies / music etc).

Helium is more of a local backup, your issue here seems to be more system related, very strange behaviour since all the process was correctly followed.

If you use SMSBackup+ for texts, Google Photos for Image Backup, Google Contacts for Contact Backup and Helium for your preferences, you could wipe and upgrade fresh to CM11 + Gapps for 4.4 quite easily. I never do a Nandroid unless for a just in case because as soon as you sign in with your Google account on a new install, it will restore your saved settings, reinstall all your apps, your photos will be stored online, texts in GMail (via SMSBackup+) as well as Contacts, bookmarks with Chrome sync. Very little local data, any that you will have can be moved to the SD card (such as movies / music etc).

I do think a fresh wipe and upgrade to CM11 + Gapps 4.4. is what's needed. Will the current Apps I have installed really automatically download with a fresh install? I don't recall that ever happening before and always found manually re-installing a couple of hundred apps a real pain in the ar$e!!

Is the process as straightforward as:-

1. Do a factory wipe
    2. Flash CM11
    3. Flash Gapps 4.4
    4. Reboot and set up Google accounts etc
    5. Wait for apps to download and set up Launcher, homescreens etc.

Am I missing anything?

Ben

I do think a fresh wipe and upgrade to CM11 + Gapps 4.4. is what's needed. Will the current Apps I have installed really automatically download with a fresh install? I don't recall that ever happening before and always found manually re-installing a couple of hundred apps a real pain in the ar$e!!

Is the process as straightforward as:-

1. Do a factory wipe
    2. Flash CM11
    3. Flash Gapps 4.4
    4. Reboot and set up Google accounts etc
    5. Wait for apps to download and set up Launcher, homescreens etc.

Am I missing anything?

Ben
    That's all correct, on signin of your Google account, it will say Restoring Settings and initiate downloading of all your installed applications again. If for some reason that does not happen, you can now multi-select and install your previous / current apps in the latest build of the Play Store - very handy! Will look like so:

restore-username.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Anyone know what the nightly version of CM11 is like for galaxy s4? Have never used CM (using stock Google 4.4 ROM), but want to try something different and CM seems pretty good.

Don't know whether to go nightly CM11 or stable CM10?

you can now multi-select and install your previous / current apps in the latest build of the Play Store - very handy!
    I'm delighted to hear this and always wondered why this options wasn't available in the Play Store.

I'll revert over the weekend when I've flashed CM11 and auto restored!!

Enjoy the long weekend.

Ben

Anyone know what the nightly version of CM11 is like for galaxy s4? Have never used CM (using stock Google 4.4 ROM), but want to try something different and CM seems pretty good.

The CM11 builds are very stable with 3 Snapshot M builds having been released already, I would update to version M3 from the link below. Snapshots are tested builds and quite stable (unlike nightlies) and are the last point before going to RC (release candidate).

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jfltexx&type=snapshot

Direct Link to CM11 M3: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/58547/cm-11-20140210-SNAPSHOT-M3-jfltexx.zip

Google Apps for 4.4: http://itvends.com/gapps/gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip

Ste- wrote: »

It was showing an SDCard1 alright but showed no files. It also wouldn't access if from recovery

But I've got it sorted in any case but took a bit time.
    1.Flashed stock 4.3 via odin. SD Card visible again.
    2.Flashed stock 4.1.2 via odin.
    3.Rooted with CF Auto Root
    4.Flashed Philz latest recovery
    5.Replaced the EFS folder with my old backup
    6.Flashed my preferred modem via recovery
    7.Installed ROM Manager and installed CWM 6.0.4.6
    8.Flashed latest CM11 nightly and Gapps via recovery. Decided against that CM installer this time.
    9.All good now. Up and running since yesterday evening and no obvious bugs noticed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

There was a change a while ago. Now it's jflte

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jflte

Go for CM11 - it just works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm currently going through the CM installer for a 3 SGS3

installed, with some hurdles

didn't work first time, kept getting a "We can't talk to your phone" message, which required a restart of phone and computer.

and the OS keeps freezing for some reason, it's highly annoying.

didn't work first time, kept getting a "We can't talk to your phone" message, which required a restart of phone and computer.

I had issues with the installer and my S3 too. Just flash from recovery instead

Update the stock Rom before putting cm on it. Happened me when I used the s3

I got CM installed alright, after restarting the phone and computer, but it just seems to freeze at random times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Using CM 10.2 on my galaxy s2 but I'm having problems using Google navigation with it. The route jumps around a lot and moves from one road to another from time to time.
    Anyone else having problems using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

south wrote: »
    Using CM 10.2 on my galaxy s2 but I'm having problems using Google navigation with it. The route jumps around a lot and moves from one road to another from time to time.
    Anyone else having problems using it?

Did you recalibrate the gps? There's apps you can get to do it for you.

That's all correct, on signin of your Google account, it will say Restoring Settings and initiate downloading of all your installed applications again. If for some reason that does not happen, you can now multi-select and install your previous / current apps in the latest build of the Play Store - very handy! Will look like so:

restore-username.png

Didn't know how to contain myself after the excitment of LFC squaking the win against Norwich so decided it was as good a time as any to flash CM11. Downloaded the new April 20th nightly (http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?type=nightly&device=n7100) and the latsest Gapps http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps and it seemed to flash fine plus it's automatically downloading all my apps - happy days :D

Hopefully it will all function smoothly once I've it all configured.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Can this be used to network unlock phone? My brother brought an S3 and the uplocking code. But updated to 4.3 which doesnt allow a network unlock code to be entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Did you recalibrate the gps? There's apps you can get to do it for you.

I'll give it a try. Cheers

Flashed CM11 nightly on my Samsung Note 2. All seems to be working well. Had a few "lost signal" prompts when using Google Maps to navigate in the car which surprised me as I hadn't had any messages like that in similar situations previously but then the phone was downloading a ton of apps so it may just have been under a lot of pressure at that time.

A quick question on Trebuchet launcher in CM11 - how can I customise the number of rows and colums on the homescreen? I'm sure I could do that in CM10 but in CM11 the only Trebuchet options are whether or not you want the persistent search bar on the homescreen or not, whether you want larger icons or not and what type of font you want to use.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

A quick question on Trebuchet launcher in CM11 - how can I customise the number of rows and colums on the homescreen?

Far as i could work out its not an option with Trebuchet, i installed Nova, which i had earlier paid for, to find out it wouldn't import anything from Trebuchet so im on Apex now, does the job.

Flashed CM11 nightly on my Samsung Note 2. All seems to be working well. Had a few "lost signal" prompts when using Google Maps to navigate in the car which surprised me as I hadn't had any messages like that in similar situations previously but then the phone was downloading a ton of apps so it may just have been under a lot of pressure at that time.

A quick question on Trebuchet launcher in CM11 - how can I customise the number of rows and colums on the homescreen? I'm sure I could do that in CM10 but in CM11 the only Trebuchet options are whether or not you want the persistent search bar on the homescreen or not, whether you want larger icons or not and what type of font you want to use.

Ben
    CM11 has a custom version of the newer Google Now based launcher and right now, has very few customization options unfortunately. They will come soon though, Trebuchet in CM10 initially took an age to get that functionality. I recommend you use Nova Launcher, it's very customizable and is identical looking to stock (I use it myself, definately the best one IMO).

CM11 has a custom version of the newer Google Now based launcher and right now, has very few customization options unfortunately. They will come soon though, Trebuchet in CM10 initially took an age to get that functionality. I recommend you use Nova Launcher, it's very customizable and is identical looking to stock (I use it myself, definately the best one IMO).

Thanks AF, I actually have a subscription to Nova Prime and used it in the past so I'll go back to it. I was just hoping to use Trebuchet in order to keep the phone "all CM" if you know what I mean.

BTW, battery life in CM10 and CM11 is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy better than Samsung stock.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Have you any info or fixes re conflicts between Nova and Trebuchet? When i installed Nova first it wouldn't import or couldnt see any settings or layouts from Trebuchet and i would end up with completely blank home pages, no dock, no access to the app tray, anything.

Advertisement