Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Jarren wrote: »
    I was expecting 12-megapixel back camera tbh.
    Makes absolutely no sense with the optics is in any mobile phone. It's just a number without any connection with the resolution of produced photo. By "resolution" I mean the real amount of details, not just x by y pixels.
    Decent DSLRs have 10-20 Mpixel sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I like that I have 12 purely because it allows for 9 at 16:9, and does so well. But any higher is totally pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

When I first bought a mobile phone, the battery would last days.

I'm not going to bother buying another phone until the battery life lasts longer. I'm not bothered by any other features.
    Contradicting yourself there... The reason there is poor battery life on modern phones is because of the use of the new 'features' that are integrated.

If you don't use these features at all and maintain a relatively low brightness level on the screen, you will get days out of most phones...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Pretty damning article on The Verge.
    So what did we get? The Siri-imitating S Voice, a quad-core SoC that's already been announced for the Meizu MX, a suite of camera enhancements that rips off HTC's ImageSense wholesale, and a signature animated lock screen that emulates interaction with water, something that's been a live wallpaper option on Android phones since 2010. Oh, and industrial design and build quality that you'll find on any anonymous South Korean MP3 player — Samsung seems to have tried trickling its design language up, never a good idea.
    And while hardware is growing less and less important, industrial design still counts, and the Galaxy S III falls below the necessary threshold of a high-quality device (Pentile displays belong in the past)
    At best, Samsung matched the HTC One X. At worst, it indulged in a two-month delay of an MWC-worthy device, stoked a frenzy of anticipation that was unjustified by the eventual product, and jeopardized the still fragile growth of its brand reputation among smartphone enthusiasts.

EDIT: Linky http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/4/2998464/how-samsung-broke-my-heart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DRose1 wrote: »
    When I first bought a mobile phone, the battery would last days.

I'm not going to bother buying another phone until the battery life lasts longer. I'm not bothered by any other features.
    Contradicting yourself there... The reason there is poor battery life on modern phones is because of the use of the new 'features' that are integrated.

If you don't use these features at all and maintain a relatively low brightness level on the screen, you will get days out of most phones...

Agree try not using any of the smartphone features and you will get days from your smartphone. My mum isn't a heavy user and she can max out 4 days from her experia play. She only uses it for calls and texts and an occasional app. She always have all the connectivity options off unless necessary.

The fact that you use it for more stuff makes the battery go down quicker. Still doesn't excuse the fact that they can't fit a huge battery in there. What's the point of ultra thin phone. Id say a lot of smartphone users would be delighted to have a guaranteed 2-4 days of heavy usage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Carphone warehouse have a sign up page

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/aspx/ComingSoon.aspx

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Pretty damning article on The Verge.

Is that comment about Pentile displays fair, valid?

Whilst i'm not as impressed by the S3 as i might have hoped, it smacks a little of a hatchet job.

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Is that comment about Pentile displays fair, valid?

Whilst i'm not as impressed by the S3 as i might have hoped, it smacks a little of a hatchet job.

While you probably wont notice it as much on its own, id say you could see tid bits if you had two displays side by side. PenTile Matrix is usually seen the best on lower resolution displays 480*800 usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

While you probably wont notice it as much on its own, id say you could see tid bits if you had two displays side by side. PenTile Matrix is usually seen the best on lower resolution displays 480*800 usually.
    It also makes anything small on the screen appear a bit fuzzy. It's not easily noticed on large text or large graphics but it's pretty noticeable on small fonts and graphics. Case in point... leap view on the HTC Desire made the homescreens almost impossible to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

The pentile display is the only thing that bothers me. I'd really hoped they'd have cracked non-pentile super amoled screens by now.

It seems like a small thing, but in reality it means the screen on the now year old SGS 2 is arguably as good or better than the SGS 3.

I understand the techincal difficulties, my simple maths tell me that if they kept the pixel size from the SGS 2 the SGS 3 would need a 10"+ screen in order to fit 921,600 pixels.

They've gone for a HD pentile screen, because it sounds better than than a qHD non-pentile screen. If they'd gone for the latter my next phone would be a no-brainer. Now I have to think about it :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Does anyone think that the S2 will drop in price in much when the S3 goes on sale? Wouldn't mind picking one up if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm confused, was the original desire penile?

Edit: spot the SwiftKey auto correct

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I'm confused, was the original desire penile?

Edit: spot the SwiftKey auto correct
    The Nexus One, the HTC Desire and the original Galaxy S were among the first popular phones to come with a pentile matrix screen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Simi wrote: »
    The pentile display is the only thing that bothers me. I'd really hoped they'd have cracked non-pentile super amoled screens by now.

I'd say there's a good chance they already have, but are holding it over for the next Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Simi wrote: »

It seems like a small thing, but in reality it means the screen on the now year old SGS 2 is arguably as good or better than the SGS 3.

I understand the techincal difficulties, my simple maths tell me that if they kept the pixel size from the SGS 2 the SGS 3 would need a 10"+ screen in order to fit 921,600 pixels.

They've gone for a HD pentile screen, because it sounds better than than a qHD non-pentile screen. If they'd gone for the latter my next phone would be a no-brainer. Now I have to think about it :-/

I think it will still look really good regardless of pentile or not.
    Here is a vid talking about the Nexus (pentile) S2 and Iphone, I think it will help some people understand a little better what we can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Good article showing its design choices that could have been influenced by apples lawsuit
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05/04/the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-the-first-smartphone-designed-entirely-by-lawyers/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Good article showing its design choices that could have been influenced by apples lawsuit
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05/04/the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-the-first-smartphone-designed-entirely-by-lawyers/
    Was half thinking that myself

Downright disappointing if that is true. Surely Samsung wouldnt give in that easily..

No two ways about it, the S3 is the least aesthetically pleasing of the three Galaxxy S phones thus far. To think Apple are to blame for that makes me dislike that company even more.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Was half thinking that myself

Downright disappointing if that is true. Surely Samsung wouldnt give in that easily..

No two ways about it, the S3 is the least aesthetically pleasing of the three Galaxxy S phones thus far. To think Apple are to blame for that makes me dislike that company even more.

As trend continues I think Sammy still got probably the best hardware and yet the phone doesn't look half as good as the competition. Personally I think it looks cheap, as said it reminds me of a cheap ZTE Tania.

Looking from benchmark performance s3 doesn't seem to leap as far as as it did with the s2 against competition.

But benchmarks are half of the story, so are the pics, I've seen a couple of phones that didn't look great on a pic or a video and then in real life it was actually quite pleasing. So I'll pass on judgement when I get some hands on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

What's the best option for someone who isn't out of contract buy sim free and sell my galaxy s ii ?

Craigels wrote: »
    What's the best option for someone who isn't out of contract buy sim free and sell my galaxy s ii ?

Stick with your S2? Unless you need to have the latest and greatest I dont see the point of getting it once it comes, the s2 is still a great phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

There is a handwriting option in the keyboard settings but you cant actually use it anywhere... i noticed on the note the option comes up on d keyboard. Anyone figure out how to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Got an S3 last Thursday and i really like it for the most part. A lot of the features are really nice after using an iPhone for nearly 3 years.

However, the battery life is atrocious. I reckon I'm getting about 8 hours usage from a full charge. I'm on the 3 network.

I've done all the usual things to try and get more out of the battery, like turning off wifi, GPS and bluetooth when not in use. I've turned on power saving mode too.

Does this sound like a dodgy battery?

Thinking of bringing it back for a replacement handset. I really like the phone, so I'm not changing my mind in that sense, but I don't think that I could live with an 8 hours battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

This post has been deleted.

How long where you getting out of your iPhone?

I bought a S3 yesterday to replace my iPhone 4S and I would have been lucky to have gotten 8 hours usage from the iPhone, and that was with loads of tinkering with battery saving settings.

What is your coverage like? If your coverage is patchy and you're switching between Three 3G and Voda 2G a lot this will impact your battery life. If you're in a WiFi area you're probably better off turning off 3G and mobile data and just leaving WiFi on.

I was getting about a day and a half out of iPhone with identical usage.

I turned of mobile data while using wifi for most of yesterday. It didn't seem to help. I kept getting "data connection lost" notifications. I think that with that switched off, it was using vf 2G, but still searching for 3G, so anytime it found 3G it said connection lost because i had set it up to not use mobile data.

I tried turning off roaming but it seems to stay on even when switched off in the settings.

Advertisement