Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is already a thread, may be best get the mods to rename it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056565885

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Will I buy?
    Don't think so. Oh well.

Sony have some nice phones coming out, don't they??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

subway wrote: »
    Will I buy?
    Don't think so. Oh well.

Sony have some nice phones coming out, don't they??

Rumored yeah.

This vs the XS, it has quad and AMOLED(same res) and the XS has a better camera. But touchwiz is muck, so I'll stick with my S thanks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Reminds me of a ZTE Tania

Ill have to spare judgement till I get some hands on. Still cant understand the reasons why every manufacturer except Apple and Nokia are moving towards gigantic phones. Make smaller phones with same size screens please. Not bigger phones with bigger screens :(

Im getting a bit pissed of having to go for a lower end model just for the sake of keeping the size down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

What's the story with the wireless charging? I can't find any useful info...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I was expecting 12-megapixel back camera tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

PrzemoF wrote: »
    What's the story with the wireless charging? I can't find any useful info...
    WHY IS THIS NOT GETTING MORE ATTENTION!!!!
    Seriously though, this really seems like a pretty cool feature, but it's like everyone is ignoring it. Engadget practically glossed over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Seriously though, this really seems like a pretty cool feature, but it's like everyone is ignoring it. Engadget practically glossed over it.
    Inductive charging was available on the €70 Palm Pre and €99 HP Touchpad that HP sold in the firesale last year. It's a nice feature but it's pretty slow. In any case, I doubt Samsung will include the wireless charger with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cause its not that big a deal and has been around for a long time. No standards for it (so can go outdated as soon as the phone is), slow and requires additional accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Reminds me of a ZTE Tania

Ill have to spare judgement till I get some hands on. Still cant understand the reasons why every manufacturer except Apple and Nokia are moving towards gigantic phones. Make smaller phones with same size screens please. Not bigger phones with bigger screens :(

Im getting a bit pissed of having to go for a lower end model just for the sake of keeping the size down.

It's seems to be what people want, I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will be bigger, the 4s screen is too small. But I'm off the same opinion I'd like a high end device that isn't massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Is there any video for the phone yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Inductive charging was available on the €70 Palm Pre and €99 HP Touchpad that HP sold in the firesale last year. It's a nice feature but it's pretty slow. In any case, I doubt Samsung will include the wireless charger with the phone.

It seemed to me from the presentation, that the wireless charger would be included, I highly doubt it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It's not that big a deal. My toothbrush uses it and it's an old model.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd love a wireless charger for it.

I have one for my HP Pre3 and touchpad, I think it's brilliant and I dont find the Pre3 charger slow at all and it makes a great desktop holder also

draffodx wrote: »
    It's seems to be what people want, I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will be bigger, the 4s screen is too small. But I'm off the same opinion I'd like a high end device that isn't massive.

High end users might, average folks still look at the likes of Galaxy S2 as a huge phone. I know the likes of the One X or HTC Titan are like a couple of mm taller and wider, that's what I was saying to myself when I was buying it. After pro longed use it gets annoying to hold it, its generally not comfortable to hold it, you can manage to use it with one hand but its not the most comfortable thing now.

Id probably would have got the 4S over my Titan if the 4S had a larger screen. Having a smaller screen isn't an issue, but having a bigger screen is nice for multimedia and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's not that big a deal. My toothbrush uses it and it's an old model.
    Touché.
    Carphone Warehouse are giving away a 10" Galaxy Tab with the first thousand pre-orders, and everyone who pre-orders gets a free 32gb SD card. Not sure if that's just UK or ireland as well though. Engadget

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Jarren wrote: »
    I was expecting 12-megapixel back camera tbh.

Me too and a 2ghz Quad.

What's the GPU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

draffodx wrote: »

It's not even that people necessarily want a bigger screen, but a bigger body allows the phone to have a much larger battery. So, I believe these high end phones have to have a large screen, Quad core processors, LTE (in America) wastes the battery very fast. So, this trend is going to continue and I am sure Apple will follow as they will have the same problem as Samsung, HTC etc.

jeromeof wrote: »
    It's not even that people necessarily want a bigger screen, but a bigger body allows the phone to have a much larger battery. So, I believe these high end phones have to have a large screen, Quad core processors, LTE (in America) wastes the battery very fast. So, this trend is going to continue and I am sure Apple will follow as they will have the same problem as Samsung, HTC etc.

Ah now that's crap really about the size. Motorola Razor Maxx has a huge battery in quite a small package. I couldn't give to flies about quad core, just give me a qHD or a HD screen and a battery size of the one in the Razor Maxx and ill be the happiest smartphone owner ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Touché.
    Carphone Warehouse are giving away a 10" Galaxy Tab with the first thousand pre-orders, and everyone who pre-orders gets a free 32gb SD card. Not sure if that's just UK or ireland as well though. Engadget

Is that real? And is it as good as it sounds?
    Nothing at the link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Touché.

??? Is this for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

8MP camera is great news IMO. Higher MP in a camera is just going to lead to grainy, awful photos. An upgraded 8MP snapper is the best choice they could have made, I'd rather see a more capable sensor at that res than a muck higher resolution one.

I'm pretty much sold on this, I've been waiting to upgrade my HTC Legend and was waiting to see whether this or the OneX appealed more. Upgradable storage (and battery to a lesser extent) is a killer feature in my eyes, the looks and build of the OneX are just so much better though. Pity, but I'll most likely be getting a White s3.

8MP camera is great news IMO. Higher MP in a camera is just going to lead to grainy, awful photos. An upgraded 8MP snapper is the best choice they could have made, I'd rather see a more capable sensor at that res than a muck higher resolution one.

I'm pretty much sold on this, I've been waiting to upgrade my HTC Legend and was waiting to see whether this or the OneX appealed more. Upgradable storage (and battery to a lesser extent) is a killer feature in my eyes, the looks and build of the OneX are just so much better though. Pity, but I'll most likely be getting a White s3.

You're a bit off there. See the Nokia 808 for one. Also, the lovely sensor thats in the S.

ED E wrote: »
    You're a bit off there. See the Nokia 808 for one. Also, the lovely sensor thats in the S.

The 808 doesn't take 41MP shots, its a 5MP camera with a great combo digital/optical zoom. It's also specifically designed around the camera sensor, everything else is secondary, so it's not really a fair comparison. I'd take a slim phone with a competent 8MP running the latest Android over a massive Symbian Nokia any day. The more pixels you cram into a small sensor, the worse overall the image will look. There's more to a good camera than pixels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

The 808 doesn't take 41MP shots, its a 5MP camera with a great combo digital/optical zoom. It's also specifically designed around the camera sensor, everything else is secondary, so it's not really a fair comparison. I'd take a slim phone with a competent 8MP running the latest Android over a massive Symbian Nokia any day. The more pixels you cram into a small sensor, the worse overall the image will look. There's more to a good camera than pixels.
    Not actually correct, it is a 41 MP sensor, and can output full resolution shots and the sensor is 5 times larger than most phone camera sensors. Aside from that I do agree with you, it is a ridicilous thing.

The more pixels you cram into a small sensor, the worse overall the image will look. There's more to a good camera than pixels.

THIS is the point. Everything else being the same, this is true, but that'll never be the case. You've gotta asses each individually. It could be 5MP and awesome compared to a 12MP(My C902 had a great sensor for its gen) but the opposite can also be true.

It could be argued that the glass in front is of more significance too.

Oh, and the 808 can shoot 39MP photos if you so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Originally Posted by Aodan83 View Post Touché.

??? Is this for real?

It is in the UK.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/news/coming-soon/samsung-s3

ED E wrote: »
    THIS is the point. Everything else being the same, this is true, but that'll never be the case. You've gotta asses each individually. It could be 5MP and awesome compared to a 12MP(My C902 had a great sensor for its gen) but the opposite can also be true.

It could be argued that the glass in front is of more significance too.

Oh, and the 808 can shoot 39MP photos if you so choose.

I stand corrected :D

(http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/27/Nokia-808-PureView-with-41MP-sensor)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

When I first bought a mobile phone, the battery would last days.

I'm not going to bother buying another phone until the battery life lasts longer. I'm not bothered by any other features.

Advertisement