Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callely moved to Mountjoy's medical unit

Options
  • 01-08-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

Jailed Ivor Callely has reportedly been moved to the medical unit of Mountjoy Prison.

The former Junior Minister, 56, was sentenced to five months in jail after admitting using fake invoices to claim more than €4,000 worth of expenses when he was a senator.

The Irish Examiner reports today that Mr Callely is being cared for in the high-support unit — a 10-bed therapeutic section manned by medical and psychiatric staff.

Cormac O'Keeffe reports that the unit “provides expert, supportive, short-term input for prisoners who are in an acutely disturbed phase of a mental illness or require observation for a physical illness”.

Mr Callely had been due be transferred to Wheatfield Prison in west Dublin from the committal unit of Mountjoy yesterday morning.

However, there were "serious concerns over his reaction to being in prison", said one source. “He was not handling it very well.”

Wow people outside with Depression/Anxiety don't get it that good. Often turned away (yes turned away by the HSE)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wonder if I can get a doctor cert for "not handling work very well."

this is fúcking ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Maybe his cell mate broke him in a bit roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Hmmm, would the medical ward be considered his primary residence now and the cell his holiday home and can he claim travel expenses?

Weirdest sense of deja vu for some reason.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Awww, poor cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Are we supposed to be outraged? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Indeed. Most people sentenced to prison 'don't handle it very well' in the intial phase. Needless to say it requires a major adjustment. Most people don't get this kind of cotton wool treatment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Surprised he isn't already in the cushy shelton abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do all prisoners get this treatment after the door slams on the first night of their incarceration?

they do in their sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He's probably forged his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Grrr this makes me very angry.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Ah jaysus. 5 months the poor yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Macavity. wrote: »
    Grrr this makes me very angry.

:pac:

only 3 r's so not that angry then? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"Not handling it very well." :rolleyes: Piffle.

The only thing he's not handling well is the fact that he got caught and has been held accountable for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ahh the poor little lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Prisoner gets mental health care and people are annoyed?!

What the hell?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Surely they'll have to release him for health reasons now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

What the prison officers should have done to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

wazky wrote: »
    Maybe his cell mate broke him in a bit roughly?

Given his sense of entitlement Ivor was probably in shock that his cell mate didn't have the god damn common courtesy to give him a reach around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Holsten wrote: »

What the hell?!?

I refuse to accept you can't see the blatant unfairness of this. A typical prisoner will/would not receive this kind of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

What the hell?!?

i would have thought ALL prisoners have mental health issues otherwise they wouldnt have committed a crime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Do all prisoners get this treatment after the door slams on the first night of their incarceration?

they do in their sh1te

From my understanding of it, I've a few mates who are PO's in the 'Joy, people like Callerly are regularly taken away from the general population for their own safety.

Regardless our feelings for him he deserves to be protected a least.

Flibbles wrote: »
    I refuse to accept you can't see the blatant unfairness of this. A typical prisoner will/would not receive this kind of treatment.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/callely-under-24-hour-observation-at-mountjoy-over-mental-health-277483.html They obviously believe he's in danger, either from himself or others, otherwise there'd be no need for 24-hour observation.

If you think a typical prisoner wouldn't get this kind of treatment then my issue would be with the lack of provision of mental healthcare services inside our prisons than with him actually receiving this care.

EDIT: He isn't a typical prisoner anyway, he's went from holding a highly-respectable office (well... Some may disagree with that! :pac:) to being hung out to dry in front of the whole country, that doesn't happen to the typical prisoner. The fact that him receiving mental healthcare inside prison becomes a story worth commenting on also shows that he's not a typical prisoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

In the states didnt Paris Hilton do a similar thing and then they let her go after a few days maybe hes hoping for the same

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Flibbles wrote: »

Ehh, yes they would. That's why such an observation unit exists. It wasn't built especially for Callely like!

Nobody knows what sort of mental state he's in so it's a bit stupid to be outraged by it. I'm sure that those with responsibility for making the decision to move him are better placed than AH to make that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What the hell?!?

No it's the perceived class snobbery at a member of the establishment getting better treatment than people who aren't a part of it that's causing the annoyance.

Ehh, yes they would. That's why such an observation unit exists. It wasn't built especially for Callely like!

Nobody knows what sort of mental state he's in so it's a bit stupid to be outraged by it. I'm sure that those with responsibility for making the decision to move him are better placed than AH to make that call.

We'd all love to see a good beating though.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

For five months in prison? ****ing idiot. He defrauded the state, he needs to learn to shut up and deal with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

tis a serious pity the people of ireland didnt kick up a stink until there was a whole ward full of the lies of callely who though they could run amok with impunity, his case is only the tip of the icebreg compared to the anglo 2 and they got community service!!

the people of ireland are to blame for allowing all this to happen in the first plce and now we're to blame for no accountability or justice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm sorry "Not handling it well ?" I thought prisons were designed as a form of punishment. Not a day spar, Maybe that's why we have lads walking around with 150 odd previous convictions. Worst will happen is back into a place with a t.v PlayStation, free meals. Better than what some people get outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Has anyone asked Bertie why so many of his bosom pals are in/have been in chokey? Or is it just a Northside thing.
    Incidentally, Haughey, Bourke, Bertie and this toerag all look about the same height.

Advertisement