Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

Probably like 180, depends on how the results change next year though, hard to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    Probably like 180, depends on how the results change next year though, hard to predict.

yeah nothing's certain ;) I'm aiming for that so hopefully it'll happen ;) don't really mind what college it is though at the end of the day tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

I'm going to apply to some colleges via eunicas. Anybody else thinking of doing this or has done it?

Wish I got medicine this year :( much regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Hey ;) does anyone know if you can actually print out the MEd EntRy material like the practice tests or must you do all the exercises online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 seriouslyfunny

I'm going to apply to some colleges via eunicas. Anybody else thinking of doing this or has done it?
    one of my friends did and got in. She is studying in Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

So I'm in first year Human Genetics in TCD now because I doubted myself and never thought I'd get the points for medicine.. Got 595 and I'm considering reapplying and doing the HPAT this year, has anyone done this? Or has any one any advice for me? I do like my course but I always wanted to go into psychiatry.. When should I start preparing for the HPAT? Anybody have any idea how well I would have to do in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nocofee

Are you going to do the imat? I'm thinking of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LochlanCummins

Anyone thinking of applying to Europe? I'm thinking of applying to Italy as a back up plan but you have to do the IMAT in London as an entry exam. Just wondering if anyone here is thinking of/is actually doing this course?

Anyone applying for Italy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Nocofee

Anyone thinking of applying to Europe? I'm thinking of applying to Italy as a back up plan but you have to do the IMAT in London as an entry exam. Just wondering if anyone here is thinking of/is actually doing this course?

Hey I'm wondering the exact same thing. I emailed the imat, I'll let you know when they reply!

Nocofee wrote: »
    Hey I'm wondering the exact same thing. I emailed the imat, I'll let you know when they reply!
    good to here someone is thinking the same! that would be class cheers!

Nocofee wrote: »
    Are you going to do the imat? I'm thinking of doing it
    I think I will, I know it's in London but it's worth the travel!

Anyone applying for Italy?

I'm definitely applying for Italy. The school looks great, cheaper way of living and the total cost would be less than studying here. Plus the flights aren't too bad back here either. I think that it'd be great to study somewhere different, outside of ireland and completely knew. I'd love it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

Does anyone else worry that they won't be smart enough for medicine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

IncognitoX wrote: »
    Does anyone else worry that they won't be smart enough for medicine?

I don't think it's about smart. It's more about coping with workload and then while in the job coping with workload/stress/powerlessness/ignorance/poverty. If you can manage that, great. That takes more of a personality type than 'smart'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You do need to be intelligent, and to have a good memory, but if you get in you've already ticked off those boxes. More than anything else though from my experience so far, you have to like it and to find something you're passionate about, or at least think you could be passionate about. Nothing's gonna motivate you to learn endless muscle origins/insertions/innervations/actions or reams of seemingly-irrelevant biochemistry if you don't find something among it all that you like and that makes you want to keep going. It's not too hard to find though once the interest is there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

spurious wrote: »
    I don't think it's about smart. It's more about coping with workload and then while in the job coping with workload/stress/powerlessness/ignorance/poverty. If you can manage that, great. That takes more of a personality type than 'smart'.

It's not so much the difficulty of the material I am worried about, it's the sheer volume of it. Along with the fact that not knowing or forgetting something could result in the misdiagnosis of a patient or being unable to diagnose a patient, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

How are you guys finding the HPAT paper while practicing it? I am really strong at section 2 and average on the other two... I know it's been re-weighted, anyone have any idea how it's marked now?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

yoyojc wrote: »
    How are you guys finding the HPAT paper while practicing it? I am really strong at section 2 and average on the other two... I know it's been re-weighted, anyone have any idea how it's marked now?

Section 1 and 2 are 40%, 3 is 20%. The reweighting was a godsend to people like me who are dire at Section 3, which is really a fairly silly section :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 conroy30

Anyone want to enter with me in a group to avail of a discount for a med entry hpat prep course?
    Pm me, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hey guys ,
    I did the hpat last year and performed poorly . I was disappointed with my score .
    Despite the hpat controversy from last year.
    I didnt do a particular preparation course . I'm sure you know the one I'm on about and I feel that I was at a big disadvantage .

Anyway just want to say that even though you guys should be optimistic , pick your second choice wisely . Don't just have med on your cao . The hpat is like a game of chance in a way and things can go wrong in the lc also . Have a solid number 2 choice :) something which you would be happy to do if you aren't successful in getting med . I was set on med and i filled out my cao In a rush one day before the deadline !
    Don't make this mistake. Many of you won't be successful so don't make the mistake I made . Have a back up plan .

And also do dentistry not med :P (not biased at all).

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Hey guys ,
    I did the hpat last year and performed poorly . I was disappointed with my score .
    Despite the hpat controversy from last year.
    I didnt do a particular preparation course . I'm sure you know the one I'm on about and I feel that I was at a big disadvantage .

No doubt. Anyone who doesn't do this level of prep is at a disadvantage - simply due to getting used to the time constraints and question format. So unfair that this advantage comes at such a steep cost however.

As for the controversy, that was real incompetence from ACER. I wasn't at the day course and hence didn't have that advantage, but apparently some rectification was carried out.

Anyway, working through the online stuff for said prep course can confer a 20ish point advantage I'd say - massive really. Obviously one can only improve so much however as it's not a test of knowledge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seriouslyfunny

did anyone do it the first time and got medicine? (without any prep course :( )

There are several people in my year who got in without a prep course. I'd say 80-90% of the Irish students did a prep course however, generally ME. It's the online resources that really help.

Honestly unless you're incredibly smart and bound to get very high points, you'd be best off just finding the money for a course, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Yes, and even for those who did one, its hard to contribute their success entirely to a prep course :rolleyes: Its unfair though that since most people are doing one, everyone else is feeling pressured into paying up for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

I did the HPAT last year.My score wasn't bad but it wasn't the best either , hence why I'll be doing the exam again as well as repeating the LC . I did ME last year and found the online material excellent just because there was so much in it,although some questions are extremely difficult and can be off putting (for me anyways). If you're doing it for the first time , I would recommend doing the course but not to bother with the 2day mock exam as I found it useless but that's just my opinion. I have decided not to take up a course this year as I have plenty of material from last year. Any other repeat HPATers doing the same ? :) is it a bad idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

gabsy wrote: »
    I did the HPAT last year.My score wasn't bad but it wasn't the best either , hence why I'll be doing the exam again as well as repeating the LC . I did ME last year and found the online material excellent just because there was so much in it,although some questions are extremely difficult and can be off putting (for me anyways). If you're doing it for the first time , I would recommend doing the course but not to bother with the 2day mock exam as I found it useless but that's just my opinion. I have decided not to take up a course this year as I have plenty of material from last year. Any other repeat HPATers doing the same ? :) is it a bad idea ?

I am tempted to repeat the hpat this year tbh.
    I think I am going to stick with dentistry though because I know a lot of doctors have both degrees in medicine and dentistry . This area of medicine is called maxillo facial surgery and it really interest me.
    So I don't see the point in wasting a year of dentistry if I am going to need it anyway in the Long run .
    Still tempted though . Also did a mock exam (not ME but a cheap one) and also found it useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 futuremedic19

Hi Everyone. First time posting here :)

I'm a gap year applicant from Wales and definitely applying for Irish Med schools this year (aswell as 4 ones within the UK via UCAS). Fortunately I carried forward all my AS subjects and did 4 A2 levels hence I'm able to apply to Irish Med schools.
    I ended up with A*AAA in A levels and an A in maths so have 25 bonus points. Initially I was really confused about the CAO systemt but having rang up the Med schools and did my research, I calculated my cao points to be 580 (readjusted to 556 before HPAT) and obviously unlike the UCAS system (with all nonsense of PS/interview) my chances of getting into an Irish med school are solely dependent on the HPAT.

Just have a few questions:
    How would you advise preparing for the HPAT, I'm a little confused as some are saying never to use PREP courses and some are saying to definitely use them ?

Is my points score good enough at all ?
    I know it probably is too modest for Trinity and UCD but what about RCSI/NUIG/UCC. Through my calculations I'm gonna have to score ~ 74 percentile + to get in somewhere.

:)

• Advertisement

I didn't bother with a PREP course and managed to get in the 97th percentile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement