Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal Ghost Stories?

• 13-05-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

After the thread re the house in L'kenny...

If allowed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

hi Graces, not sure what the thread you refer to is, but I know of many supernatural tales involving county Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

If memory serves me right there is a ghost story thread in here somewhere. Stumpies brae was mentioned. There was another re a rented house near laghey too.

The laghey one scared the bejaysus outta me. Still think of it everytime I drive by that house. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

irish1967 wrote: »
    If memory serves me right there is a ghost story thread in here somewhere. Stumpies brae was mentioned. There was another re a rented house near laghey too.

The laghey one scared the bejaysus outta me. Still think of it everytime I drive by that house. :(

Wonder if that was the house we rented!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055654581&highlight=laghey

Not the one we were in....

Lived in a cottage once on a Scottish isle that was truly haunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Was This The Perpetrator? :P

slimer.jpg

• Advertisement

inode wrote: »
    Was This The Perpetrator? :P

Nah; that is just a plastic toy.

Not at all scary..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I boarded in the Royal in Raphoe for 6 years and there's a story there about it being haunted. Under the stairs there is an underground cellar, which is blocked off now but leads over to the castle. The story is that there was a lady who lived in the castle who was hanged in the tunnel I think, and her baby son was taken to where the boarding house now stands, and now her ghost roams the house looking for her son. There are plenty of stories of past students seeing her, I'm not sure how many of those were made up just to scare new students on their first night, but I thought I saw someone in our dorm one night in the dark while the other girls were asleep... Spooky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i was told a story about a man walking through a grave yard in donegal at dusk,when he spotted a old man with a hammer and chisel near a grave stone,when he asked him if everything was ok,the old man said ,no they have spelt my name wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

The house in Creggan, Ballybofey that was occupied by the Hayes family up until the mid 20th century - people used to say it was haunted by the ghost of Lady Hayes, the last occupant. Has anyone heard anything more about this, I've only heard of one specific sighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

We went for a run in the car this moring, went to doe castle at one stage, My girlfriends gran lives very nearby there, and tells a story of i woman who once lived there fell out with her husband and she decided she had enough, went up to the top window and jumped out, its said she was buried where she lay in the courtyard after jumping. There are a load of tales of her now haunting the courtyard where she is buried and the top floor of the castle itself. got some nice pics today cos it was opened but im yet to find anything ghostly:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

I was taking the four band members back from a gig in Enniskillen one night and one of them had to be delivered to Balybofey, and if anyone knows that road back through Castlederg then they will know its pretty dark and lonely as it goes through long stretches of bogland .

As we travelled things got a bit quiet and maybe it was the loneliness of the road or the fact that i had to drive very slowly because of the heavy gear and passengers but the journey seemed endless, anyway I was reminded of the following story.

When my older sisters and brothers were very young they would cycle or walk to the dances in the old Butt hall in Ballybofey, on this night the dance-floor was packed as usual and a local girl who was said to be one of the prettiest girls around at the time and apparently a bit of a catch was anxiously waiting for the next fella to ask her to dance.

Well after some time this very handsome man appeared near the back of the hall ,very well dressed and obviously a stranger, the dark and mysterious type i suppose, so as he stood gazing around and picking his target the girl also noticed him and watched him as he walked up the dancefloor and offered his hand to her to ask her to dance,

The girl obliged and they danced for some time and eventually the music slowed and he moved his hands to her shoulders to start a slow dance only breaking the silence to ask her where she was from ,now as they danced she was aware of something strange about his feet but in the relative darkness she wasn't sure what she had seen so stepping back a little she was suddenly aware that the stranger had hoofed feet (like a goat) .

She screamed in fear and tried to bring others attention to what she had seen but in her panic and fear she lost sight of the stranger and he was never seen again.
    The dances were poorly attended for some time after that night as the story of the strange hoofed stranger got around, some say it was the devil!!

To this day I dont know if it was the circumstances of the story-telling that night or that the story has a trueness to it but those boys have never forgotten it !!

sounds like he must have been a bit of a silver tongued devil :) I have heard of the cloven feet story alright, but in relation to a card game at a place called Loftus Hall on the Hook Head peninsula in Wexford

Here is a story involving the chief of Highland Radio and an unexplained apparition in Barnesmore Gap http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20090201/ai_n31308939/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,304 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I heard the story of the hoofed feet but it was supposed to have happened in the old Orchid ballroom in Lifford.

I`ve just been talking to someone about that Charlie Collins thing and he tells me that some people have seen a lady with a long dress who walks that road through Barnesmore late at night and if you don't stop to give her a lift she will appear in the car beside you . But if you do lift her she just gets out and dosent bother you after that. They call her the silent lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

My parents stayed in a house up around Malin I think for the weekend.

It was a lovely house in off the road in a kind of secluded lane way surrounded by trees. They have said for as long as they live they will never stay in the house again. They never felt comfortable and it always seemed cold.

They also heard doors being slammed shut and always had the feeling that some-one was watching them.

They brought my brothers and me back to the house later on to have a look and I have to say I had a very uneasy feeling about it and couldent wait to leave :confused:

Also heard some amusing stories involving ghosts!

One is of a man driving on a really stormy night,very low visability, when his car cuts out on him. He gets out of the car to sort the problem but is unable,so he tries to push it but again is unable. So he gets back in the car in the hope of some-one coming along but as soon as he does the car starts moving. He bricks it because he cant see anything as the conditions are so bad and the lights are out,so he gets out and takes off running up the road until he gets to a pub.

He bursts in the door and goes to the bar for a drink to settle his nerves and dosent mention a thing to the barman in case he thinks he is mental.

Anyway about 10 minutes later 2 men come into the pub,soaked from the rain and walk up to the bar,order a drink and sit down. The two men look annoyed and the barman asks why. They reply that they were walking up the road when they came across a car broken down on the road so they began to push it,only for the owner to jump out and sprint off leaving them on their own!

puffdragon wrote: »
    They call her the silent lady.
    Pity there wasn't more like her :)

I`ve just been talking to someone about that Charlie Collins thing and he tells me that some people have seen a lady with a long dress who walks that road through Barnesmore late at night and if you don't stop to give her a lift she will appear in the car beside you . But if you do lift her she just gets out and dosent bother you after that. They call her the silent lady.

I heard the ghost lady with the long dress in Barnesmore also. The first time was back in the 80's and it involved a well know taxi driver from Donegal who has since passed on. He claimed to have given a lift to a girl that disappeared a few minutes after she sat into the back of the taxi. Another local man reported giving a girl a lift who declared to him 'let me out here, this is where I died'....:eek:
    UTV did an investigation into paranormal activity in 2008, around the turn off for the Castlederg road after Barnesmore Gap, also involving the spirit of a woman wandering the road. I forget the name of the preseneter, but he is a well known medium / pshycic from the north.

muffler wrote: »
    Pity there wasn't more like her :)

Ah would ye stop sir!! The rest of the house thinks i'm mad roaring and laughing by myself at the computer, very funny ,cheers I needed a laugh!!

Ah would ye stop sir!! The rest of the house thinks i'm mad roaring and laughing by myself at the computer, very funny ,cheers I needed a laugh!!
    Dont spill the coffee over the keyboard now. ;)

In my younger days (as in 6 or 7 years old) I seen a ghost or something that vanished without trace and to the day I die I will never know what it was.

Just to set the scene first of all. There was my house with a garden to the side of it and next to that was the neighbour's garden and then their house (I'll call them Mr & Mrs "A"). Their "front" door was actually to the side of the house which meant that it was facing our garden. The neigbours were an elderly couple - both pensioners - and all I was aware of at that tender age was that Mr A never came out of the house as he was sick while Mrs A would be out and about on her bike at times.

It was a Friday evening in the month of October and I was picking a few apples from one of the trees in the garden to the side of the house. It would have been in or around 6 in the evening and still a good bit of daylight around although it was dull and not far from dusk. I happened to look over at the neighbours house and I saw what appeared to be a woman knocking on the door.

I say a woman (well, it looked like a woman) and she was dressed entirely in white from head to toe with a long white dress and a large white scarf covering her head and down as far as her shoulders. I couldn't see her face as her back was turned to me as she knocked on the door. In hindsight I realised that while I could see her knocking on the door I didnt hear the knocks though.

I knew that Mrs A went to the local town every Friday to collect the pension and do some shopping and didn't normally return till well after tea time and as Mr A was sick in bed I decided to run over and tell this woman that there was no one there to answer the door. I left my own garden and ran the 30 yards down the road in all of 20 seconds and when I got there the woman in white had disappeared. I looked around the back of the house but no sign of her. I looked around the side and front and checked the road again but she was gone. Not a trace of her was to be found. At the time I didn't really think that much about it though.

I cant recall how long after that, maybe an hour or two, but there was a bit of activity about our house. I knew a couple of people had came and went and then I heard my parents saying how Mrs A had returned from shopping only to find that Mr A had passed away.

I have no idea what I seen on that October's evening. Some would say it was an angel, maybe even the Blessed virgin herself taking Mr A away or that it was a ghost or phantom or the likes. Others would say it was a young lad's imagination running wild but I can only relate what I seen.

• Advertisement

In my younger days (as in 6 or 7 years old) I seen a ghost or something that vanished without trace and to the day I die I will never know what it was.

Just to set the scene first of all. There was my house with a garden to the side of it and next to that was the neighbour's garden and then their house (I'll call them Mr & Mrs "A"). Their "front" door was actually to the side of the house which meant that it was facing our garden. The neigbours were an elderly couple - both pensioners - and all I was aware of at that tender age was that Mr A never came out of the house as he was sick while Mrs A would be out and about on her bike at times.

It was a Friday evening in the month of October and I was picking a few apples from one of the trees in the garden to the side of the house. It would have been in or around 6 in the evening and still a good bit of daylight around although it was dull and not far from dusk. I happened to look over at the neighbours house and I saw what appeared to be a woman knocking on the door.

I say a woman (well, it looked like a woman) and she was dressed entirely in white from head to toe with a long white dress and a large white scarf covering her head and down as far as her shoulders. I couldn't see her face as her back was turned to me as she knocked on the door. In hindsight I realised that while I could see her knocking on the door I didnt hear the knocks though.

I knew that Mrs A went to the local town every Friday to collect the pension and do some shopping and didn't normally return till well after tea time and as Mr A was sick in bed I decided to run over and tell this woman that there was no one there to answer the door. I left my own garden and ran the 30 yards down the road in all of 20 seconds and when I got there the woman in white had disappeared. I looked around the back of the house but no sign of her. I looked around the side and front and checked the road again but she was gone. Not a trace of her was to be found. At the time I didn't really think that much about it though.

I cant recall how long after that, maybe an hour or two, but there was a bit of activity about our house. I knew a couple of people had came and went and then I heard my parents saying how Mrs A had returned from shopping only to find that Mr A had passed away.

I have no idea what I seen on that October's evening. Some would say it was an angel, maybe even the Blessed virgin herself taking Mr A away or that it was a ghost or phantom or the likes. Others would say it was a young lad's imagination running wild but I can only relate what I seen.

That is a very interesting story, and quite spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

class thread folks, i also heard this story about the lady on the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

Was in a car when I was 19 going to a disco one night getting a lift with a friends mum. At Inver, a woman ran out in front of the car and we heard the thump. It was a dark rainy night. We stopped, got out and found no trace of anyone and no damage or marks on the car. Called the guards and they came and checked around and also found nothing.

I have heard other people have this happen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

WOW; may have been a nun.. novices wear white....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

A red-haired lady with a small child has been spotted a few times in the early morning sitting on Fintra Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

Ghosts????

There's no such thing.

It's all in your imaginations. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

docmartin wrote: »
    class thread folks, i also heard this story about the lady on the gap

I think I heard about this in the early 90's but it was a man not a girl.
    Isn't there supposed to be a haunted house in Killybegs? I also heard about the <SNIP>

Mod edit: Do not post names of individual properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Hi all, great thread. I have seen a ghost run across the road in front of our car one night coming from Mountcharles to Donegal Town, out doonan area, near the car garage. I could see a man but it was just an outline and misty/shaded inside (almost like how an invisible man would look in a cartoon). Could even see his arms moving as he made it to other side of the road. Had told few people about this and there before Christmas, a friend of my mothers seen the very same thing. Any one else heard of this?

• Advertisement

Technique wrote: »
    Ghosts????

There's no such thing.

It's all in your imaginations. :D

You hope!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

I have often heard tell of the ghost of Ards Monastry... there are two alledged ghosts, the first is of a lady, here is the story

http://bit.ly/9CehbJ

The second story is of the ghost that appears down the arch way that leads into the forest, before you come to Ards main entrance as you approach from Dunfanaghy. You will see a tallish archway (although it could be over-grown now), where the is a lane that goes through the forest over as far as the Ard's monastry. There have been reports of a ghost of a man that was killed by the Whiteboys back in the day.

I know a man who brough his springer spaniel for a walk down that road, and when they reached a certain point, the dog became upset and would go no further... I cant find anything online about it though.

Last year there was an article in the Finn Valley Voice about a haunted house on Naveny Street, Ballybofey. The people renting the house fled one night when strange things started happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Spooky one I heard but not from Donegal but new york. I was told it in good faith but may have heard it in another form so could be an urban myth. A scary story not a ghost story.

2 Irish girls share an apt in new york who for the story are Mary and Cathy. Both are planning to head out for the night and are getting glammed up, war paint etc and are planning to meet up with the rest of the crew at a pub in the city. Cathy has been complaining about feeling unwelll and doesn't want to go but is persuaded to and that she will feel better later.
    As they head to the taxi Cathy finally gets her way and says shes is not going due to upset tummy and heads back to the apartment. Mary gets in the taxi and heads to town a bit pissed off with Cathy. 15 mins later when shes goes to pay for the taxi she realises she left her purse behind and sees it clearly on the dressing table in the bedroom. Fustrated she asks the taxi man to return to the apt in order to be paid etc. and then to return her to the pub. Another 15 mins later she enters the apt and runs to the bedroom, hesitates at the lightswitch but doesn't turn it on as she figures Cathy is gone to bed and must have genuinely not been feeling well. She sees the purse, grabs it and goes to the taxi. Pays him, meets up with the others has a great night out etc etc.

On returning to the apt building she sees police outside and tries to ingnore them and whatever has happened, its New york after all. On entering the building she is stopped and asked her apt number. On hearing the number the officer brings her to the detective on scene. He explains that her roommate has been brutally murdered and the bedroom is an unpleasant sight to say the least. They had in fact being chasing the criminal but he gave them the slip. The gruesome killing has all the hallmarks of his other kills gory etc but for one detail that the detective is puzzeled by and was hoping Mary could clear up for him if she could enter the crimescene (bedroom) again. Thinking of her friend and her duty to try and get this guy caught she agrees.
    As mary enters the apt a chill sets over her as shes sees the lines of officers and forensics already on scene.
    As she is led to the bedroom her eyes can already see the bloodsplattered walls and she thinks of her friend. Already in shock she diverts here eyes from the bed where cathys body lays. The detective points to the mirror above the dressing table where she had picked her purse up from only hours before and asks here if she can explain it. She recieves her final shock and falls to the floor on seeing the mirror. Written upon it in her friends own blood is the message " aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light"

Spooky one I heard but not from Donegal but new york. I was told it in good faith but may have heard it in another form so could be an urban myth. A scary story not a ghost story.

2 Irish girls share an apt in new york who for the story are Mary and Cathy. Both are planning to head out for the night and are getting glammed up, war paint etc and are planning to meet up with the rest of the crew at a pub in the city. Cathy has been complaining about feeling unwelll and doesn't want to go but is persuaded to and that she will feel better later.
    As they head to the taxi Cathy finally gets her way and says shes is not going due to upset tummy and heads back to the apartment. Mary gets in the taxi and heads to town a bit pissed off with Cathy. 15 mins later when shes goes to pay for the taxi she realises she left her purse behind and sees it clearly on the dressing table in the bedroom. Fustrated she asks the taxi man to return to the apt in order to be paid etc. and then to return her to the pub. Another 15 mins later she enters the apt and runs to the bedroom, hesitates at the lightswitch but doesn't turn it on as she figures Cathy is gone to bed and must have genuinely not been feeling well. She sees the purse, grabs it and goes to the taxi. Pays him, meets up with the others has a great night out etc etc.

On returning to the apt building she sees police outside and tries to ingnore them and whatever has happened, its New york after all. On entering the building she is stopped and asked her apt number. On hearing the number the officer brings her to the detective on scene. He explains that her roommate has been brutally murdered and the bedroom is an unpleasant sight to say the least. They had in fact being chasing the criminal but he gave them the slip. The gruesome killing has all the hallmarks of his other kills gory etc but for one detail that the detective is puzzeled by and was hoping Mary could clear up for him if she could enter the crimescene (bedroom) again. Thinking of her friend and her duty to try and get this guy caught she agrees.
    As mary enters the apt a chill sets over her as shes sees the lines of officers and forensics already on scene.
    As she is led to the bedroom her eyes can already see the bloodsplattered walls and she thinks of her friend. Already in shock she diverts here eyes from the bed where cathys body lays. The detective points to the mirror above the dressing table where she had picked her purse up from only hours before and asks here if she can explain it. She recieves her final shock and falls to the floor on seeing the mirror. Written upon it in her friends own blood is the message " aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light"

Urban Legend recycled to the nth degree.

Must have been a HHHUUUGE mirror..

• Advertisement

A long time ago the roads were still just gravel and not tarred over, (no smart ones please) On a hill down the road from my home-place an old man lived by himself and when the local children were passing on the road he would engage them for a while and relate the following story;

His grandfather William ,who by all accounts was a very handsome man and who lived in the same house, once went the the fair to sell some cattle .
    After the fair having sold all his animals and having a few shillings to spare he went around the market to buy some goods for himself. As he walked he found himself next to a beautiful young lady dressed to the finest and who seemed to be walking alone.

Chance would have it they both stopped at the same stall and he noticed her gazing at a beautiful display of flowers ,he deliberately stood close to her and politely said" what flower is that" to which she replied " I believe they are Chrysanthemums and how lovely they are"
    He took a penny from his pocket and handed it to the lady behind the stall then picked a flower from the display and gave it to the lady saying" please have one for your bonnet" she smiled and took the flower and said"thank you how nice"

No sooner had the moment passed but a gentleman in an army uniform had come between them and squaring up to William said " get on about your business sir and don't bother the lady" he then turned around and grabbed the lady's elbow and moved her away quickly muttering as they went.

That day William had a few drinks in the pub and as darkness fell he made his way home it would be about three miles walk from the town to the cottage a journey he had made many times.The following morning they found William outside his cottage lying in pool of blood his hand outstretched as though to open the gate, he had obviously tried to pull himself up.

The blood stains remained on the road for some time to come and as time wore on the truth came out that the young soldier who he had made jealous by offering the young lady the flower had mounted his horse and rode after William in the darkness and ran him through with his bayonet as he stopped to open the gate

Now the children ,as if not already scared enough, watched as the old man pointed his stick to a big stone in the road and told them "to this day when that stone gets wet it still weeps the blood of poor William " and he walked over to the stone and spat on it and sure enough no sooner had the spittle hit the stone but it was blood red ."there" he said"there's the proof".

A true story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

fontanalis wrote: »
    I think I heard about this in the early 90's but it was a man not a girl.
    Isn't there supposed to be a haunted house in Killybegs? I also heard about the <SNIP>

Mod edit: Do not post names of individual properties.

Yeah, on the Fintra side of Killybegs, not even a half mile out of the town there is a bungalow that's supposed to be haunted. Is that the one or is it another one you are thinking of?

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Yeah, on the Fintra side of Killybegs, not even a half mile out of the town there is a bungalow that's supposed to be haunted. Is that the one or is it another one you are thinking of?

I think the one I was told off is out by the Killybegs football pitch, up by Conlon road direction, could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MissOfada

when i was growing up in killybegs, i would go up to the fintra beach for a walk. i was walking past the old fintra house hotel which was closed up for the winter. suddenly i heard a baby crying from inside the hotel. i even went right up to the door and put my ear to it. as clear as day i hear i could hear it. so i walk all around the building looking for a way in and there wasn't one. when i got home i told my mum about it, she called a friend of hers who looks after the holiday homes beside the hotel and asked if any family were staying in house, she said no. all i know is i heard a baby crying in a lock up building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JillAM

I heard the story of the hoofed feet but it was supposed to have happened in the old Orchid ballroom in Lifford.

Iwas told of the story of the hoofed feet by my Parents My father was a bouncer and my mother worked as a tea lady in the ballroom back in the 1960

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

here is one more from the top of my head..

20 years ago in Letterkenny, tenants at Fabi's flats experienced strange noises, cold patches and voices in the middle of the night. This went on for a couple of years. One girl I knew who used to stay there, told me that she used to wake in the middle of the night with a recurring dream of a woman and crying child. As far as I remember, they had to get someone in the bless the place. When they investigated the history of the area and building it turned out that itwas on the site of the old Letterkenny sick-house, and there is an old burial ground nearby ( bottom left of map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,617329,912030,7,9)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

here is one more from the top of my head..

20 years ago in Letterkenny, tenants at Fabi's flats experienced strange noises, cold patches and voices in the middle of the night. This went on for a couple of years. One girl I knew who used to stay there, told me that she used to wake in the middle of the night with a recurring dream of a woman and crying child. As far as I remember, they had to get someone in the bless the place. When they investigated the history of the area and building it turned out that itwas on the site of the old Letterkenny sick-house, and there is an old burial ground nearby ( bottom left of map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,617329,912030,7,9)

Where was Fabi's flats?

JillAM wrote: »
    Iwas told of the story of the hoofed feet by my Parents My father was a bouncer and my mother worked as a tea lady in the ballroom back in the 1960
    I recall my older sisters telling the story. They hadn't actually seen anything themselves but had friends who did apparently.

Pity there wasn't mobile phones with built in cameras back in the day :D

There's a place near Porthall called Knox's (old house and estate) and is or was haunted...I think. Apart from one strange incident I dont recall anyone ever actually seeing anything but dozens of people including myself certainly heard strange noises.

The noise was like someone exhaling deeply or sighing and I heard this twice myself. The first time was on a late Summer's evening when myself and a mate were returning home after putting a net hook and worm on the river. It was near dusk but still reasonably clear and as we walked up the road we both heard this sighing or heavy breathing coming from behind the hedge that separated the road from a field. It was a hawthorn hedge and only about 3 - 4 feet high and thin at the bottom so that you could see right into the field. There was nothing behind the hedge yet we could hear the strange noise. Oddly enough this field was on the opposite side of the road from "Knox's house"

My mate had a bike and on hearing the noise he jumped on it and took off like a bloody greyhound. I managed to catch hold of the "carrier" that was at the rear of the bike and made sure I wasnt going to be left behind. He cycled/I ran for about 200 yards and then stopped but the noise was still behind the hedge as though it was following us. Cycled/ran for another couple of hundred yards until we reached a house and stopped again and this time the noise had disappeared.

The second occasion I heard this was about 3 in the morning when myself and a different mate were making our way home (walking) from a night out. Again it was bright enough with a near full moon in view. At just the same spot both of us heard this weird breathing/sighing noise again. We are at a place called "Mehaffy's lane" and my mate gathered gravel from the lane and started to throw the stones into the field but to no avail.

From my previous "encounter" with this "thing" I knew it would cause us no harm so we walked on and for the next three to four hundred yards the "noise" followed us up the inside of the hedge until we got near to the house at the top of the brae and the noise just simply stopped. All the time we could see into the field but there was nothing physical there.

I have heard stories of other peoples "encounters" and while some were scared no one ever came to any harm and no one ever seen anything.

Where was Fabi's flats?

on the High Road, right across from what was Furniture World, just before the entrance to the old swimming pool going up the high road. Fabi's chip shop used to be down stairs. See here

JillAM wrote: »

the hoofed feet story is also associated with Loftus Hall in Wexford, I remember hearing it from a local one time I was down there.. story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

the hoofed feet story is also associated with Loftus Hall in Wexford, I remember hearing it from a local one time I was down there.. story

It is one of those stories that would probably be called an urban legend these days.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

That loftus hall looks like a stunning building, but spooky! I have family who sometimes have sheep on the BlueStacks connecting Glenfin and Donegal Town.

I have heard of stories of them heading off out on treks to find sheep and carrying some food with them in backbacks if the take a sudden hunger. This sudden hunger hits you when you allegedly pass over a spot where someone from the famine died.

Anyone heard about a certain very large old property in Drumboe, just outside Ballybofey. It was said to have been haunted by its well known former female owner. The house was sold in the late 90's, not sure if it was then that the haunted rumours started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Many moons ago I used to work in a hotel. This hotel is very old and the oldest part of the building is over a 100 years so naturally there was plenty of creeks and groans in the building but you got used to hearing those.
    Anywho along the very top floor in one particular room many years ago a lady threw herself out of the window and died. Being the cynic I am, I never let these stories bug me. But I did hear many of the older staff go on about weird things that happened on the top floor stuff moving, strange noises etc but I put that down to either them going crazy or being drunk (or both). Also it is very odd place the top floor, its like a timewarp since the building was so old, staff used to stay up there but they haven't for many years now.
    One particular night I was working late in the bar (hotel bar so 3am opening was a very common occurrence) I received a call from one of the staff staying on the top floor in the room directly across from the one which the accident took place. It was one of the most vivid calls I remember the poor girl was in tears, absolutely terrified and convinced that there was someone trying to get into her room, she said the handle kept on turning and something was trying to get in. Just by the sound of her voice you could tell this wasnt a prank so I pegged it out the door up the center stairs directly to the top floor as I thought someone was trying to break in or worse. No more than a 20 second run but I hammered it up the stairs I would have sounded like an earthquake running up. From the top floor is there is only 2 ways down, Via the stairs I was going up and via the stairs at the front of the building which is down a long corridor. I reached the top there was no one there I knocked on the door that the girl was in and she wouldn't open it to start, it was only when the other staff who where down in the bar came up after I pegged it. We searched all the rooms on the floor and found no one and none of the guests reported anyone descending the front stairs as it leads to the front lounge. The hotel was securely locked, there was no way in unless I let them in. The girl in the room quit the next day and moved back home to Germany. It was shortly after that that staff stopped staying on the top floor. I always told the owners that they could do haunted hotel tours and just sit people in the rooms along that top corridor as it is a genuinely spooky place.

Make of it what you will but it sure as hell freaked me out....

• Advertisement
Advertisement