Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Ghost Stories?

Options
  • 13-05-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

After the thread re the house in L'kenny...

If allowed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

hi Graces, not sure what the thread you refer to is, but I know of many supernatural tales involving county Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

If memory serves me right there is a ghost story thread in here somewhere. Stumpies brae was mentioned. There was another re a rented house near laghey too.

The laghey one scared the bejaysus outta me. Still think of it everytime I drive by that house. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

irish1967 wrote: »
    If memory serves me right there is a ghost story thread in here somewhere. Stumpies brae was mentioned. There was another re a rented house near laghey too.

The laghey one scared the bejaysus outta me. Still think of it everytime I drive by that house. :(

Wonder if that was the house we rented!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055654581&highlight=laghey

Not the one we were in....

Lived in a cottage once on a Scottish isle that was truly haunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Was This The Perpetrator? :P

slimer.jpg

• Advertisement

inode wrote: »
    Was This The Perpetrator? :P

Nah; that is just a plastic toy.

Not at all scary..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I boarded in the Royal in Raphoe for 6 years and there's a story there about it being haunted. Under the stairs there is an underground cellar, which is blocked off now but leads over to the castle. The story is that there was a lady who lived in the castle who was hanged in the tunnel I think, and her baby son was taken to where the boarding house now stands, and now her ghost roams the house looking for her son. There are plenty of stories of past students seeing her, I'm not sure how many of those were made up just to scare new students on their first night, but I thought I saw someone in our dorm one night in the dark while the other girls were asleep... Spooky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i was told a story about a man walking through a grave yard in donegal at dusk,when he spotted a old man with a hammer and chisel near a grave stone,when he asked him if everything was ok,the old man said ,no they have spelt my name wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

The house in Creggan, Ballybofey that was occupied by the Hayes family up until the mid 20th century - people used to say it was haunted by the ghost of Lady Hayes, the last occupant. Has anyone heard anything more about this, I've only heard of one specific sighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

We went for a run in the car this moring, went to doe castle at one stage, My girlfriends gran lives very nearby there, and tells a story of i woman who once lived there fell out with her husband and she decided she had enough, went up to the top window and jumped out, its said she was buried where she lay in the courtyard after jumping. There are a load of tales of her now haunting the courtyard where she is buried and the top floor of the castle itself. got some nice pics today cos it was opened but im yet to find anything ghostly:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

I was taking the four band members back from a gig in Enniskillen one night and one of them had to be delivered to Balybofey, and if anyone knows that road back through Castlederg then they will know its pretty dark and lonely as it goes through long stretches of bogland .

As we travelled things got a bit quiet and maybe it was the loneliness of the road or the fact that i had to drive very slowly because of the heavy gear and passengers but the journey seemed endless, anyway I was reminded of the following story.

When my older sisters and brothers were very young they would cycle or walk to the dances in the old Butt hall in Ballybofey, on this night the dance-floor was packed as usual and a local girl who was said to be one of the prettiest girls around at the time and apparently a bit of a catch was anxiously waiting for the next fella to ask her to dance.

Well after some time this very handsome man appeared near the back of the hall ,very well dressed and obviously a stranger, the dark and mysterious type i suppose, so as he stood gazing around and picking his target the girl also noticed him and watched him as he walked up the dancefloor and offered his hand to her to ask her to dance,

The girl obliged and they danced for some time and eventually the music slowed and he moved his hands to her shoulders to start a slow dance only breaking the silence to ask her where she was from ,now as they danced she was aware of something strange about his feet but in the relative darkness she wasn't sure what she had seen so stepping back a little she was suddenly aware that the stranger had hoofed feet (like a goat) .

She screamed in fear and tried to bring others attention to what she had seen but in her panic and fear she lost sight of the stranger and he was never seen again.
    The dances were poorly attended for some time after that night as the story of the strange hoofed stranger got around, some say it was the devil!!

To this day I dont know if it was the circumstances of the story-telling that night or that the story has a trueness to it but those boys have never forgotten it !!

sounds like he must have been a bit of a silver tongued devil :) I have heard of the cloven feet story alright, but in relation to a card game at a place called Loftus Hall on the Hook Head peninsula in Wexford

Here is a story involving the chief of Highland Radio and an unexplained apparition in Barnesmore Gap http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20090201/ai_n31308939/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I heard the story of the hoofed feet but it was supposed to have happened in the old Orchid ballroom in Lifford.

I`ve just been talking to someone about that Charlie Collins thing and he tells me that some people have seen a lady with a long dress who walks that road through Barnesmore late at night and if you don't stop to give her a lift she will appear in the car beside you . But if you do lift her she just gets out and dosent bother you after that. They call her the silent lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

My parents stayed in a house up around Malin I think for the weekend.

It was a lovely house in off the road in a kind of secluded lane way surrounded by trees. They have said for as long as they live they will never stay in the house again. They never felt comfortable and it always seemed cold.

They also heard doors being slammed shut and always had the feeling that some-one was watching them.

They brought my brothers and me back to the house later on to have a look and I have to say I had a very uneasy feeling about it and couldent wait to leave :confused:

Also heard some amusing stories involving ghosts!

One is of a man driving on a really stormy night,very low visability, when his car cuts out on him. He gets out of the car to sort the problem but is unable,so he tries to push it but again is unable. So he gets back in the car in the hope of some-one coming along but as soon as he does the car starts moving. He bricks it because he cant see anything as the conditions are so bad and the lights are out,so he gets out and takes off running up the road until he gets to a pub.

He bursts in the door and goes to the bar for a drink to settle his nerves and dosent mention a thing to the barman in case he thinks he is mental.

Anyway about 10 minutes later 2 men come into the pub,soaked from the rain and walk up to the bar,order a drink and sit down. The two men look annoyed and the barman asks why. They reply that they were walking up the road when they came across a car broken down on the road so they began to push it,only for the owner to jump out and sprint off leaving them on their own!

puffdragon wrote: »
    They call her the silent lady.
    Pity there wasn't more like her :)

I`ve just been talking to someone about that Charlie Collins thing and he tells me that some people have seen a lady with a long dress who walks that road through Barnesmore late at night and if you don't stop to give her a lift she will appear in the car beside you . But if you do lift her she just gets out and dosent bother you after that. They call her the silent lady.

I heard the ghost lady with the long dress in Barnesmore also. The first time was back in the 80's and it involved a well know taxi driver from Donegal who has since passed on. He claimed to have given a lift to a girl that disappeared a few minutes after she sat into the back of the taxi. Another local man reported giving a girl a lift who declared to him 'let me out here, this is where I died'....:eek:
    UTV did an investigation into paranormal activity in 2008, around the turn off for the Castlederg road after Barnesmore Gap, also involving the spirit of a woman wandering the road. I forget the name of the preseneter, but he is a well known medium / pshycic from the north.

muffler wrote: »
    Pity there wasn't more like her :)

Ah would ye stop sir!! The rest of the house thinks i'm mad roaring and laughing by myself at the computer, very funny ,cheers I needed a laugh!!

Ah would ye stop sir!! The rest of the house thinks i'm mad roaring and laughing by myself at the computer, very funny ,cheers I needed a laugh!!
    Dont spill the coffee over the keyboard now. ;)

In my younger days (as in 6 or 7 years old) I seen a ghost or something that vanished without trace and to the day I die I will never know what it was.

Just to set the scene first of all. There was my house with a garden to the side of it and next to that was the neighbour's garden and then their house (I'll call them Mr & Mrs "A"). Their "front" door was actually to the side of the house which meant that it was facing our garden. The neigbours were an elderly couple - both pensioners - and all I was aware of at that tender age was that Mr A never came out of the house as he was sick while Mrs A would be out and about on her bike at times.

It was a Friday evening in the month of October and I was picking a few apples from one of the trees in the garden to the side of the house. It would have been in or around 6 in the evening and still a good bit of daylight around although it was dull and not far from dusk. I happened to look over at the neighbours house and I saw what appeared to be a woman knocking on the door.

I say a woman (well, it looked like a woman) and she was dressed entirely in white from head to toe with a long white dress and a large white scarf covering her head and down as far as her shoulders. I couldn't see her face as her back was turned to me as she knocked on the door. In hindsight I realised that while I could see her knocking on the door I didnt hear the knocks though.

I knew that Mrs A went to the local town every Friday to collect the pension and do some shopping and didn't normally return till well after tea time and as Mr A was sick in bed I decided to run over and tell this woman that there was no one there to answer the door. I left my own garden and ran the 30 yards down the road in all of 20 seconds and when I got there the woman in white had disappeared. I looked around the back of the house but no sign of her. I looked around the side and front and checked the road again but she was gone. Not a trace of her was to be found. At the time I didn't really think that much about it though.

I cant recall how long after that, maybe an hour or two, but there was a bit of activity about our house. I knew a couple of people had came and went and then I heard my parents saying how Mrs A had returned from shopping only to find that Mr A had passed away.

I have no idea what I seen on that October's evening. Some would say it was an angel, maybe even the Blessed virgin herself taking Mr A away or that it was a ghost or phantom or the likes. Others would say it was a young lad's imagination running wild but I can only relate what I seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

In my younger days (as in 6 or 7 years old) I seen a ghost or something that vanished without trace and to the day I die I will never know what it was.

Just to set the scene first of all. There was my house with a garden to the side of it and next to that was the neighbour's garden and then their house (I'll call them Mr & Mrs "A"). Their "front" door was actually to the side of the house which meant that it was facing our garden. The neigbours were an elderly couple - both pensioners - and all I was aware of at that tender age was that Mr A never came out of the house as he was sick while Mrs A would be out and about on her bike at times.

It was a Friday evening in the month of October and I was picking a few apples from one of the trees in the garden to the side of the house. It would have been in or around 6 in the evening and still a good bit of daylight around although it was dull and not far from dusk. I happened to look over at the neighbours house and I saw what appeared to be a woman knocking on the door.

I say a woman (well, it looked like a woman) and she was dressed entirely in white from head to toe with a long white dress and a large white scarf covering her head and down as far as her shoulders. I couldn't see her face as her back was turned to me as she knocked on the door. In hindsight I realised that while I could see her knocking on the door I didnt hear the knocks though.

I knew that Mrs A went to the local town every Friday to collect the pension and do some shopping and didn't normally return till well after tea time and as Mr A was sick in bed I decided to run over and tell this woman that there was no one there to answer the door. I left my own garden and ran the 30 yards down the road in all of 20 seconds and when I got there the woman in white had disappeared. I looked around the back of the house but no sign of her. I looked around the side and front and checked the road again but she was gone. Not a trace of her was to be found. At the time I didn't really think that much about it though.

I cant recall how long after that, maybe an hour or two, but there was a bit of activity about our house. I knew a couple of people had came and went and then I heard my parents saying how Mrs A had returned from shopping only to find that Mr A had passed away.

I have no idea what I seen on that October's evening. Some would say it was an angel, maybe even the Blessed virgin herself taking Mr A away or that it was a ghost or phantom or the likes. Others would say it was a young lad's imagination running wild but I can only relate what I seen.

That is a very interesting story, and quite spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

class thread folks, i also heard this story about the lady on the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

Was in a car when I was 19 going to a disco one night getting a lift with a friends mum. At Inver, a woman ran out in front of the car and we heard the thump. It was a dark rainy night. We stopped, got out and found no trace of anyone and no damage or marks on the car. Called the guards and they came and checked around and also found nothing.

I have heard other people have this happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

WOW; may have been a nun.. novices wear white....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

A red-haired lady with a small child has been spotted a few times in the early morning sitting on Fintra Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Technique

Ghosts????

There's no such thing.

It's all in your imaginations. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

docmartin wrote: »
    class thread folks, i also heard this story about the lady on the gap

I think I heard about this in the early 90's but it was a man not a girl.
    Isn't there supposed to be a haunted house in Killybegs? I also heard about the <SNIP>

Mod edit: Do not post names of individual properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Hi all, great thread. I have seen a ghost run across the road in front of our car one night coming from Mountcharles to Donegal Town, out doonan area, near the car garage. I could see a man but it was just an outline and misty/shaded inside (almost like how an invisible man would look in a cartoon). Could even see his arms moving as he made it to other side of the road. Had told few people about this and there before Christmas, a friend of my mothers seen the very same thing. Any one else heard of this?

• Advertisement

Technique wrote: »
    Ghosts????

There's no such thing.

It's all in your imaginations. :D

You hope!!!

Advertisement