Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone VDSL broadband - speed

Options
  • 01-09-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Did somebody notice that in past few weeks during evening broadband speed is going down to 2/1. Is that all country or only south east?

3729372316.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

domeld wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Did somebody notice that in past few weeks during evening broadband speed is going down to 2/1. Is that all country or only south east?

Not seeing any reduction here yet wicklow

3729361604.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Grand in Carlow thankfully.
    3729268273.png

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Did notice a drop every now and then in Cork city.

I away at the moment but will do more tests during the week.

I've seen a few people mention this problem in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

afternoon speed

3731420043.png

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

320766.PNG320767.PNG

• Advertisement

Again today
    3736560875.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Having issues in Cork as well :(

3736839287.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Grand in Carlow thankfully.
    3729268273.png

How is your broadband that good? Ive never had more than 9 download and bout .90 upload and ping always above 50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Two tests taken a minute apart,

3736861538.png

3736864585.png

I think the problem is with speedtest.net

on speedtest.vodafone.ie was this same

• Advertisement

start downloading the ubantu torrent from the link below and tell me what speed your getting

like mine says 5.8MB/s so thats 46.4Mb/s and my connection is 50Mb so im basically getting what im paying for

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Having issues in Cork as well :(

3736839287.png

All better

3737058376.png

Living 30 feet away from a cabinet :D

rottie 11 wrote: »
    How is your broadband that good? Ive never had more than 9 download and bout .90 upload and ping always above 50

I'm lucky to be close to the cabinet I guess.

Your internet speed will always vary on your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Yeah strange things happening for the past few weeks
    From 9.00pm onwards, speeds go down the drain.
    A Modem reboot resolves.
    2q3nk7o.png

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Yeah strange things happening for the past few weeks
    From 9.00pm onwards, speeds go down the drain.
    A Modem reboot resolves.
    2q3nk7o.png

A modem reboot resolved mine too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm still seeing odd speeds (2 down 1 up) here in Cork whenever I use speedtest with a server outside of Cork. Seems to be from about 4pm onwards. Real world speeds for most services perform better, but occasionally services like Youtube, Netflix etc are buffering and appear to be affected by this slow speed. Speed is usually 70 up and 20 down. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

yes mine was the same in Offaly. re-booted the modem and it seemed to work but will keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

Has this been sorted out?

I should be able to order fibre next month and was leaning for Vodafone but not if they are shakey. Hmm. Eircom is a bit more expensive but reliable...apparently

Still grand in Carlow thankfully.

3745670378.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

3745670378.png

You never miss an opportunity, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

3745670378.png

How are you getting that speed? Did you get vectoring enabled? I have had a constant 68 down 18 up since I got it installed 14 months ago but I read about vectoring etc but never understood if it is possible for Vodafone. Can it be enabled on a Vodafone connection? Cabinet is 500 meters away if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

he is close to his nearest cabinet, probably less than 250metres. and yeah, vectoring also is enabled on his cab.

ring vodafone tech support to query can they bump your speed, or check your stats to see what your max attainable is, it will give you an indication.

the higher the SR margin the better, the lower the attenuation the better

degsie wrote: »
    You never miss an opportunity, eh?

What exactly do you mean by that?:confused:

Some people have been saying they've been having issues with Vodafone and I'm just saying that I have not.

BArra wrote: »
    he is close to his nearest cabinet, probably less than 250metres. and yeah, vectoring also is enabled on his cab.

ring vodafone tech support to query can they bump your speed, or check your stats to see what your max attainable is, it will give you an indication.

How are you getting that speed? Did you get vectoring enabled? I have had a constant 68 down 18 up since I got it installed 14 months ago but I read about vectoring etc but never understood if it is possible for Vodafone. Can it be enabled on a Vodafone connection? Cabinet is 500 meters away if that makes a difference
    Yeah the cabinet I'm connected to is 200 odd metres away from me.

Just as BArra said, ring Vodafone and see will they raise your profile.

They're usually very accommodating so give it a go if ye can.

BArra wrote: »

Where can you see the stats to see what your max attainable is on the Vodafone router?
    I have had 69/18 since day 1 so I presume my line is good as I think the max was 70/20

Where can you see the stats to see what your max attainable is on the Vodafone router?
    I have had 69/18 since day 1 so I presume my line is good as I think the max was 70/20

Open firefox and log into 192.168.1.1 with the username admin and password admin1234,

then under status on the left hand side of screen click WAN and then DSL (located in the middle of screen at the top)

now if you locate where it says "Downstream line rate (kbit/s)" and right click that line of text and go "inspect element (Q)"

you should now see something like this

321533.PNG

if you delete the part where it says display:none leaving the quotations on the highlighted line and the one above it you should end up with the same as below (the highlighted lines being the ones ive edited)

321534.PNG

you can also do the same where you see display:none to unlock more info about the line ;)

dazdrog wrote: »
    Open firefox and log into 192.168.1.1 with the username admin and password admin1234,

then under status on the left hand side of screen click WAN and then DSL (located in the middle of screen at the top)

now if you locate where it says "Downstream line rate (kbit/s)" and right click that line of text and go "inspect element (Q)"

you should now see something like this

321533.PNG

if you delete the part where it says display:none leaving the quotations on the highlighted line and the one above it you should end up with the same as below (the highlighted lines being the ones ive edited)

321534.PNG

you can also do the same where you see display:none to unlock more info about the line ;)

seeing this -
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 71679
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20478
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 115816
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 27175

but getting this 3799318319.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

seeing this -
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 71679
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20478
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 115816
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 27175

but getting this 3799318319.png

Is that from directly connected?

degsie wrote: »
    Is that from directly connected?

wired directly through Homeplugs but I will try to test this directly from the router on a laptop in the coming days
    I find it strange that its so low. I have a Samknows whitebox and the data from that is showing 68ish almost all the time. However in the last 2 weeks its dropping to mid 50Mbps around 8/9/10PM each night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

wired directly through Homeplugs but I will try to test this directly from the router on a laptop in the coming days
    I find it strange that its so low. I have a Samknows whitebox and the data from that is showing 68ish almost all the time. However in the last 2 weeks its dropping to mid 50Mbps around 8/9/10PM each night

Yeah Homeplugs can mess things up ... I recently dumped mine and pulled a cat5e cable , no looking back.
    I also have a SamBox and noticed speeds dropping every evening to 40 from 8 til 10

Advertisement