Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holy Mother of.... Bulletproof Coffee

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Why don't you post the relevant ones so?

Here's any idea for you- try it yourself- make up your own mind. Careful of the calories though! You could incorporate it into your high fat days on your macro cycling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Here's any idea for you- try it yourself- make up your own mind. Careful of the calories though! You could incorporate it into your high fat days on your macro cycling!

I have made up my mind, based on evidence, not by reading blog posts by charasmatic scam artists who prey on simple minded numbskulls.

Do you even know what a calorie is? I hope you're not trying to make fun of me?

I'd never pick on someone for being a fat golfer, giving advice on athletic endeavours and diet, who doesn't seem to be able to read, who is so woefully and willfully ignorant of his absolute stupidity that he'd sooner believe a whole forum is wrong than admit to himself that he's a nuthugging fanboy with no clue of what he's on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I have made up my mind, based on evidence, not by reading blog posts by charasmatic scam artists who prey on simple minded numbskulls.

I'd never pick on someone for being a fat golfer, giving advice on athletic endeavours and diet, who doesn't seem to be able to read, who is so woefully and willfully ignorant of his absolute stupidity that he'd sooner believe a whole forum is wrong than admit to himself that he's a nuthugging fanboy with no clue of what he's on about.

I actually got bored reading that. Make the insults shorter. I dont have the cognitive capabilities at the moment as i havent had my bulletproof coffee today

I know a calorie is not a calorie. Here's why.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lustig-md/sugar-toxic_b_2759564.html

Keep on counting - keep on cycling!

Are you getting annoyed by a random stranger on the internet?

No sense of humour?

You've got issues..hombre !

Deco99 wrote: »
    I actually got bored reading that. Make the insults shorter. I dont have the cognitive capabilities at the moment as i havent had my bulletproof coffee today

I made it long so he wouldn't read it.

Drink a bottle of olive oil at every meal, you'll lose weight and then your brain would have as much body to pump its thoughts around, you'll have more thoughts per unit body area making you smarter - Science.

That's from a book I read it's called "Hey, Idiot! Gimme your money", it's really good.

I know a calorie is not a calorie. Here's why.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lustig-md/sugar-toxic_b_2759564.html

Keep on counting - keep on cycling!

Are you getting annoyed by a random stranger on the internet?

No sense of humour?

You've got issues..hombre !

Come on, try to make yourself at least look smart, for your own good, have some self respect. At least post a scientific article, not newspaper articles and blog posts. If not why not?

Come on, try to make yourself at least look smart, for your own good, have some self respect. At least post a scientific article, not newspaper articles and blog posts. If not why not?

Robert H Lustig. I think it's fair to say he knows what he's talking about. You on the other hand ....

I made it long so he wouldn't read it.

Drink a bottle of olive oil at every meal, you'll lose weight and then your brain would have as much body to pump its thoughts around, you'll have more thoughts per unit body area making you smarter - Science.

That's from a book I read it's called "Hey, Idiot! Gimme your money", it's really good.

Stop making excuses for your boring posts and then failing in your attempts to be funny.

Stay on track.

At least post a scientific article, not newspaper articles and blog posts. If not why not?
    Robert H Lustig. I think it's fair to say he knows what he's talking about. You on the other hand ....

At least post a scientific article, not newspaper articles and blog posts. If not why not?

The brain is mostly fat, I thought your 'diet' would of helped it someway.

You still haven't post one scientific article (let alone one that helps any of your arguments).

Why not?

• Advertisement

Stop making excuses for your boring posts and then failing in your attempts to be funny.

Stay on track.

How about you get on track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

lads calm down, we're all coffee lovers here.

I think I'll give it a go, comparing it to my usual porridge breakfast to see which keeps me full the longest.

I am worried about the amount of fat and calories in a cup of BPC though. I would prefer if i can to not change my entire diet to allow me to have a cup of BPC in the morning. After all, I'm only trying it in hope it will boost my cognitive performance, not to promote weight loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Undeadfred wrote: »
    lads calm down, we're all coffee lovers here.

I think I'll give it a go, comparing it to my usual porridge breakfast to see which keeps me full the longest.

I am worried about the amount of fat and calories in a cup of BPC though. I would prefer if i can to not change my entire diet to allow me to have a cup of BPC in the morning. After all, I'm only trying it in hope it will boost my cognitive performance, not to promote weight loss.

I find it really helps mental clarity. Even coconut oil on its own helps too :)

Still LOVING the coffee!! Had a cup this morn at 9. Didn't feel hungry or tired 'til I had my dinner at 4!!

Wondering do you guys think it's better to have it before or after lightish exercise in the morn?

rustyzip wrote: »
    I find it really helps mental clarity. Even coconut oil on its own helps too :)

I researched MCT oil a little bit but all I could find is that it helps with Alzheimers and brain function in middle-old age people. Not sure if taking it will actually boost my cognition as im 19.

I researched MCT oil a little bit but all I could find is that it helps with Alzheimers and brain function in middle-old age people. Not sure if taking it will actually boost my cognition as im 19.

Perhaps researching the placebo effect will help you come to a conclusion to how people can claim cognitive benefits!

• Advertisement

Perhaps researching the placebo effect will help you come to a conclusion to how people can claim cognitive benefits!

Yeah I'm not fully convinced that its miracle coffee. I have high doubts. Although I'm interested to see if it staves off hunger longer than porridge and eggs. So I tried it this morning.
    So far its been very dissapointing. I overslept (11hrs) so I felt very groggy and tired when I got up. Was hoping the caffeine would wake me up but sadly it didn't. So I'm having another cup of coffee now with just plain milk.
    As for hunger, I can say I dont feel hungry, but I do have food cravings. I dont know if that's because I didnt eat breakfast or because I've told myself I cant eat any food to test BPC so now I want food more.

I'll try it for a few more days so I can have a conclusive experience, however I am using normal coconut oil rather than MCT oil since I couldn't find MCT oil in Tesco. Also using the same coffee I always drink as it most likely doesn't have mycotoxins, along with most other coffee brands.

Yeah I'm not fully convinced that its miracle coffee. I have high doubts. Although I'm interested to see if it staves off hunger longer than porridge and eggs. So I tried it this morning.
    So far its been very dissapointing. I overslept (11hrs) so I felt very groggy and tired when I got up. Was hoping the caffeine would wake me up but sadly it didn't. So I'm having another cup of coffee now with just plain milk.
    As for hunger, I can say I dont feel hungry, but I do have food cravings. I dont know if that's because I didnt eat breakfast or because I've told myself I cant eat any food to test BPC so now I want food more.

I'll try it for a few more days so I can have a conclusive experience, however I am using normal coconut oil rather than MCT oil since I couldn't find MCT oil in Tesco. Also using the same coffee I always drink as it most likely doesn't have mycotoxins, along with most other coffee brands.

You need to give it a while maybe, get your body in ketosis..
    You can't just eat any ol' muck... read up on it.
    Good luck.

You need to give it a while maybe, get your body in ketosis..
    You can't just eat any ol' muck... read up on it.
    Good luck.

Read up on it. Seems interesting. Think I might try it for a few days and follow the Bulletproof diet. Although It appears to just be the Paleo diet uprgraded and I'm not sure if i want to turn into a Paleo head. A ketogenic diet could possibly do more harm than good. I know a guy who was on the Paleo diet for 2 years and he's recently been having some pretty serious heart trouble, had to have some surgery and he's only 19!
    It also seems tedious to ensure you eat less than 100kcal of carbs a day to stay in ketosis.

Read up on it. Seems interesting. Think I might try it for a few days and follow the Bulletproof diet. Although It appears to just be the Paleo diet uprgraded and I'm not sure if i want to turn into a Paleo head. A ketogenic diet could possibly do more harm than good. I know a guy who was on the Paleo diet for 2 years and he's recently been having some pretty serious heart trouble, had to have some surgery and he's only 19!
    It also seems tedious to ensure you eat less than 100kcal of carbs a day to stay in ketosis.

So why try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

So I thought the whole bulletproof coffee was a bit mehhh..
    I've been taking coconut oil in my green tea/coffee for years, I'd just throw a tablespoon in and accept the greasy film on the top.. I quite like the taste of coconut oil and it used to leave my lips nice and soft :)

However, this morning I decided to try bulletproof coffee..
    I made a double shot coffee with nespresso, put a large tablespoon of unsalted butter and same if coconut oil in my blendtek with a few cacao nibs, a scraping of a vanilla pod and a pinch of xylitol..

Jesus H Christ... I am buzzing!

The last time I felt this energised and alerts was in Las Vegas on a J1 and I had ingested something quite expensive and illegal.

Can't wait to see if I have a crash mid-morning!

...a tablespoon, that not the really really large spoon? thats a lot of butter!?

• Advertisement

Joziburg wrote: »
    ...a tablespoon, that not the really really large spoon? thats a lot of butter!?

1 tablespoon = 15 grams

So why try it?

God you've a lot of hate for this thread. What you got against Bulletproof Coffee?

I'm trying it because I'm interested in the idea and want to find out personally what effects it will have on my mind and body. Also because Dave Asprey claims it improves cognition and a lot of people love it, so they must love it for a reason.
    Doing my own research it seems having youre body run on fat rather than carbs could well possess some cognitive improving effects as well as metabolic and cellular benefits.

God you've a lot of hate for this thread. What you got against Bulletproof Coffee?

I'm trying it because I'm interested in the idea and want to find out personally what effects it will have on my mind and body. Also because Dave Asprey claims it improves cognition and a lot of people love it, so they must love it for a reason.
    Doing my own research it seems having youre body run on fat rather than carbs could well possess some cognitive improving effects as well as metabolic and cellular benefits.

Yes the brain runs better on fat than carbs is the theory. Did you look up Dave Aspreys version of the food pyramid.

You said you have high doubts, you don't want to turn into a paleo head, your 19 year old friend had to have heart surgery after doing paleo and then you said you think its ridiculous. It's not hate, I find genuinely interesting that you still want it to work even though all evidence says that it's non sense. I have interests in peoples' thought processes - conservatism, sunk cost fallacy, anchoring effect, confirmation bias, and illusory truth effect would all apply in this situation, if you wanted to look them up. They're quite interesting, I think anyway...

You said you have high doubts, you don't want to turn into a paleo head, your 19 year old friend had to have heart surgery after doing paleo and then you said you think its ridiculous. It's not hate, I find genuinely interesting that you still want it to work even though all evidence says that it's non sense. I have interests in peoples' thought processes - conservatism, sunk cost fallacy, anchoring effect, confirmation bias, and illusory truth effect would all apply in this situation, if you wanted to look them up. They're quite interesting, I think anyway...

See, you're wrong when you say 'all evidence says its non sense'. This friend of mine who's on Paleo is a freakin' genius, and after reading how having a ketogenic diet could improve brain function, I'm starting to think his diet was one of the reasons he was so smart. One of the main reasons im considering trying this diet is its cognitive effects. Also, his heart problem was most likely unrelated to his diet, as his doctors changed his diet very little after he began having heart troubles.

Yes I am probably playing right into Dave Asprey's hand and slowly becoming convinced the diet works. Probably falling under all of the categories you listed above. You would say confirmation bias, I would say I'm being hopeful the diet will make me smarter. Its called being optimistic. Besides, I may as well try it, and they're hasnt been any evidence proving the theory wrong. Not that I've found anyway

Yes the brain runs better on fat than carbs is the theory. Did you look up Dave Aspreys version of the food pyramid.

The theory is good enough for me, after all, I'm studying Theoretical Physics in college haha

Is this it?
    http://whatnottodoinloveandbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BulletProof-Diet-Infographic-1024x656.jpg

The theory is good enough for me, after all, I'm studying Theoretical Physics in college haha

Is this it?
    http://whatnottodoinloveandbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BulletProof-Diet-Infographic-1024x656.jpg

Yes that's it. Essentially the same as same as Mark Sisson, Ben Greenfield etc .

Besides, I may as well try it, and they're hasnt been any evidence proving the theory wrong. Not that I've found anyway

If you're doing theoretical physics you should be familiar with the scientific discourse and know that it is impossible to prove a theory wrong.

If it's purely to test for cognitive reasons, go for it, but don't fall the stuff about saturated fat being great. Sure it's demonised and has received a lot of somewhat undue disdain but that doesn't mean it's the best fat for you. Any studies I've seen that have shown a benefit to high fat diets have been with the introduction of PUFAs or by swapping saturated fat in the diet with unsaturated fats.

And buy a bag of bran.

If you're doing theoretical physics you should be familiar with the scientific discourse and know that it is impossible to prove a theory wrong.

eh, no its not. A theory is instantly proved wrong if only a single counterexample is found. ie, if a massive body is not affected by gravity, then we would have to rethink the laws of gravity as the theory will have been proven wrong.
    However, it is impossible to prove a theory right, if that is what you are thinking of. We can find evidence that SUPPORTS the theory, but the theory can never be proven beyond all doubt.
    If it's purely to test for cognitive reasons, go for it, but don't fall the stuff about saturated fat being great. Sure it's demonised and has received a lot of somewhat undue disdain but that doesn't mean it's the best fat for you. Any studies I've seen that have shown a benefit to high fat diets have been with the introduction of PUFAs or by swapping saturated fat in the diet with unsaturated fats.

Yes, obviously if one thing is falsely critisised it doesnt mean that the opposite is true, I am still looking into the theory of it and have not yet gone on a ketogenic diet, but i am planning to next week. I'll look into the effects of saturated v unsaturated fats and decide myself which ill intake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is it possible to do an alternative of bullet proof coffee without the butter? I'm lactose intolerant so butter is not an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I've been putting kerrygold in my coffee for years, I didn't know it had a name! I usually have a pot before going to the gym if I have the time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

deisedude wrote: »
    Is it possible to do an alternative of bullet proof coffee without the butter? I'm lactose intolerant so butter is not an option

Coconut oil will work. Just don't put in the same amount, coconut oil is rocket fuel compared to butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Coconut oil will work. Just don't put in the same amount, coconut oil is rocket fuel compared to butter.

In terms of calories?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    In terms of calories?

In terms of energy provided. Coconut oil contains a fat called MCT. MCT can't be stored like other fats so it's burned up straight away like a carb, providing a rush of energy in the process. If you go overboard with it then it can cause diarrhoea, so best to build up slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

deisedude wrote: »

Butterfat itself doesn't contain lactose (a sugar in milk). So you are probably ok with a good quality butter. Or better yet then clarified butter (non-fat butter solids removed)
    In terms of energy provided. Coconut oil contains a fat called MCT. MCT can't be stored like other fats so it's burned up straight away like a carb, providing a rush of energy in the process.
    MCTs are burned more readily than other fats, like carbs that's true. But they can't burn up into thin air, you need to burn them through activity*. It's like saying sugar isn't stored as it's burned burned up straight away - when in reality, being burned first just means taking the place of something else that is stored instead. Coconut oil still contains a significant amount of LCT fats which are the ones readily stored. Ultimately, I don't think it really matters which molecule is burnt and which is store if the end result is the same.

I'm fully on-board coconut oil/MCTs as a good fat. I just think that they get presented by a lot of paleo sites as bad science, in terms of the overall picture.

* Negligible thermogenic effects aside.

Mellor wrote: »
    MCTs are burned more readily than other fats, like carbs that's true. But they can't burn up into thin air, you need to burn them through activity*. It's like saying sugar isn't stored as it's burned burned up straight away - when in reality, being burned first just means taking the place of something else that is stored instead. Coconut oil still contains a significant amount of LCT fats which are the ones readily stored. Ultimately, I don't think it really matters which molecule is burnt and which is store if the end result is the same.

I'm fully on-board coconut oil/MCTs as a good fat. I just think that they get presented by a lot of paleo sites as bad science, in terms of the overall picture.

* Negligible thermogenic effects aside.

Apologies I was glossing over a lot of biochemistry for the sake of brevity, you're absolutely right, coconut oil MCTs can be stored, but reesterifying them is energetically more expensive.

In a practical sense they act like a carb, preferentially oxidised instead of stored.

Also there's some additional voodoo regarding upregulation of metabolism from coconut oil that we don't fully understand yet.

And just from personal experience, a shot of pure MCT oil will give you a similar burst of energy to a double espresso, so it also aids with it's own 'burning' :)

Apologies I was glossing over a lot of biochemistry for the sake of brevity, you're absolutely right, coconut oil MCTs can be stored, but reesterifying them is energetically more expensive.
    I figured that was the case. Was more commenting so nobody thought it was a magic food they couldn't pt on weight. I've actually seen that suggested elsewhere.
    And just from personal experience, a shot of pure MCT oil will give you a similar burst of energy to a double espresso, so it also aids with it's own 'burning' :)

Never had pure MCT oil in a snot. Must try that. The cafe near my work have MCT oil for the bulletproof coffees. I wonder if they do me a bulletproof expresso (espresso+shot of MCT oil)

Never had pure MCT oil in a snot. Must try that

I strongly recommend you don't! :D

I also wouldn't recommend it unless you need a serious 'cleaning out' :D

• Advertisement

I also wouldn't recommend it unless you need a serious 'cleaning out' :D

Calories in/calories out :D

MCT oil in a snot

Am I the only one that caught this!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

No I picked it up too ;)

I didn;t comment as I was tryign to block the mental image out. Cheers for pointing it out again :(

Advertisement