Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Mother of.... Bulletproof Coffee

Options
  • 22-07-2014 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

So I thought the whole bulletproof coffee was a bit mehhh..
    I've been taking coconut oil in my green tea/coffee for years, I'd just throw a tablespoon in and accept the greasy film on the top.. I quite like the taste of coconut oil and it used to leave my lips nice and soft :)

However, this morning I decided to try bulletproof coffee..
    I made a double shot coffee with nespresso, put a large tablespoon of unsalted butter and same if coconut oil in my blendtek with a few cacao nibs, a scraping of a vanilla pod and a pinch of xylitol..

Jesus H Christ... I am buzzing!

The last time I felt this energised and alerts was in Las Vegas on a J1 and I had ingested something quite expensive and illegal.

Can't wait to see if I have a crash mid-morning!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Have to agree, placebo is a powerful thing all right.

...and you were ripped off in Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

It's great stuff. I've been drinking it for a fair while now. I always find it gives you a burst of energy. It's great to take in the morning. It also makes you feel satiated for a few hours. It's also very tasty. I've made it for a number if people who were shocked it had butter in it and at how tasty it was.

I'm sceptical of his claims on the type of coffee to use though. I suppose he's just trying to make his money through his brand.

They've been drinking it in Tibet for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Bruno26 wrote: »
    It's great stuff. I've been drinking it for a fair while now. I always find it gives you a burst of energy. It's great to take in the morning. It also makes you feel satiated for a few hours. It's also very tasty. I've made it for a number if people who were shocked it had butter in it and at how tasty it was.

I'm sceptical of his claims on the type of coffee to use though. I suppose he's just trying to make his money through his brand.

They've been drinking it in Tibet for centuries.

Ya, I'm not imagining it.
    Didn't have a great sleep last night.
    Nearly three hours after drinking it and my fingers are still doing 90 on my keyboard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

rustyzip wrote: »

I don't think you know how placebo works.

Anyway I've never tried it myself so can't really comment on it. Must give it a shot someday just to see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mark Twain called it 'a good coffee spoiled'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

rustyzip wrote: »
    Didn't have a great sleep last night.
    Nearly three hours after drinking it and my fingers are still doing 90 on my keyboard :)

Fair bit of snake oil associated with it though, this special bean and that special oil etc.

I have it some mornings with a tea spoon of both butter and coconut fat. I find a tablespoon way too much. This morning at 7 I had a double espresso without fat and just about to eat breakfast now, without any real difference in energy levels compared to yesterday when I had a bulletproof coffee

Hard enough to separate out if energy boost is from a lot of caffeine or fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I've just heard of this thing too. Does it not give you the wild-shítes?

Blacktie. wrote: »

Anyway I've never tried it myself so can't really comment on it. Must give it a shot someday just to see what all the fuss is about.

Be near a toilet would be my advice.

Your body may reject it one way or another...

I do thanks!
    I'm usually starving and knackered at this time of the morning and I'm not.

Not a fan of 'snake oil'.... I try and test things and make up my own mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I'm really confused, can someone explain what this is? I thought it had something to do with the coffee?

Is it just coffee and fat or is there more to it?

• Advertisement

I'm really confused, can someone explain what this is? I thought it had something to do with the coffee?

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/trends-fads/what-is-bulletproof-coffee

Nothing more to it, just coffee with extra calories.

Coffee with butter and coconut oil. Those are good for you and do not make you fat so don't worry about the extra calories. You also eat less after drinking it as you feel full for longer so you actually could be eating less calories over the course of a day.

Coffee with butter and coconut oil. Those are good for you and do not make you fat so don't worry about the extra calories. You also eat less after drinking it as you feel full for longer so you actually could be eating less calories over the course of a day.

This post makes no sense, why are you saying that the extra calories won't matter and won't make me fat, but also that I'll eat less calories altogether? Which is it?
    Either calories count or they don't, not both?

Here we go again.

Here we go again.

Sorry :(

I'm tempted to try this bit 400-500 calories worth of fat seems like a lot on the morning, dunno if i could stomach it, i might try see if it works for me but I'm a little dubious after reading the article

This post makes no sense, why are you saying that the extra calories won't matter and won't make me fat, but also that I'll eat less calories altogether? Which is it?
    Either calories count or they don't, not both?

It is sort of both!

Calories count but don't count them! I don't count calories. I don't need to as I consume under 150 grams of carbs daily.

A previous post said it's coffee with extra calories. Now this would put many people off from drinking it.

I'm saying you won't get fat by eating butter and coconut oil. The good fat satisfies the appetite. After taking it you won't be hungry or feel like snacking. You can go longer without eating so over the course of a day you might actually eat less calories.

That's if you are someone who counts calories.

I'm tempted to try this bit 400-500 calories worth of fat seems like a lot on the morning, dunno if i could stomach it, i might try see if it works for me but I'm a little dubious after reading the article

If you wish to try it, start with a much smaller amount.

There is no magic to it, and your body won't react well to 500 calories of fat on first go.

Why do you want to try it?

What are you expecting it to do? It tastes nice and has lots of calories like a snickers. If you like, it make it fit in to your diet if you really want it, but easier to just exclude it.

It is sort of both!

Calories count but don't count them! I don't count calories. I don't need to as I consume under 150 grams of carbs daily.

A previous post said it's coffee with extra calories. Now this would put many people off from drinking it.

I'm saying you won't get fat by eating butter and coconut oil. The good fat satisfies the appetite. After taking it you won't be hungry or feel like snacking. You can go longer without eating so over the course of a day you might actually eat less calories.

Whatever works for you!

• Advertisement

It is sort of both!

Yes. Finally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Pity both coconut oil and coffee make me gag! Cant stand the smell of either! The energy boost sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It is sort of both!

I can't believe this stuff is still being posted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Wouldn't coffee loaded with cream served with a cream bun do the same job? People have consumed all these ingredients together but in different guises for years with no extraordinary life changing effect.

Another great contribution to the thread! What exactly can't you believe?

Wouldn't coffee loaded with cream served with a cream bun do the same job? People have consumed all these ingredients together but in different guises for years with no extraordinary life changing effect.

Yes you could also put coconut oil in with coffee and cream (also very tasty) but without the bun as it's high carb. It's high fat you are consuming not high carb. I wouldn't say there's an extraordinary life changing effect. It's tasty, it's good for you, it's gives you energy and it gives you a feeling of satiety.

Yes you could also put coconut oil in with coffee and cream (also very tasty) but without the bun as it's high carb. It's high fat you are consuming not high carb. I wouldn't say there's an extraordinary life changing effect. It's tasty, it's good for you, it's gives you energy and it gives you a feeling of satiety.

Not if you've 150g of carbs to play with.

I think he's come round a little. No more talking about fat bringing on some magic metabolic process that makes you burn millions of calories but rather accepting that the additional fat loss on HFLC diets is due to greater satiety leading to eating less calories.

This also seems incredibly rude talking about someone while they're here reading it so sorry bout that Bruno.

Not if you've 150g of carbs to play with.

150g grams can't come from grains or sugar.

• Advertisement

150g grams can't come from grains or sugar.

If my only other carbs were in vegetable form, I'd survive eating a bun.

Advertisement