Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Cooked Chickens

Options
  • 10-07-2014 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

As I have no means to cook a full chicken in my flat, I'm wondering what the cooked chickens are like from SuperValu, Tesco, Dunnes, quality of the chicken etc

I'm living on my own, so would it be ok to eat half one day, put it in the fridge, eat the other half the next day?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

i dont think we are allowed to comment on shelf life of food, whats safe etc, but on a personal note, I have done it and am still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Most deli's say refrigerate within 90 minutes and consume within 24 hours. Check when you're buying the chicken.

That or just eat the whole chicken.

Also look in to investing in a slow cooker, they only cost around €30-40 and will cook you a pretty juicy chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would highly recommend a small philips airfryer. I got one at christmas and have rarely used the hob or regular oven since. You can fit a full small chicken in it or a half one easily.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-airfryer-black/301186/5.9.2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9220-20-Airfryer-Healthier/dp/B0042EU3A2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405013509&sr=8-1&keywords=airfryer

If getting the supermarket ones the bit you are not eating should be chilled ASAP.

Supervalu near me does half chickens, they are just a little more than half the price of a full one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Have you tried the half chickens? how much of it would be ok to consume per meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

GeneralC wrote: »
    Have you tried the half chickens? how much of it would be ok to consume per meal?

If it was me, Id eat the whole thing!! You'll be a long time getting fat by eating chicken!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rubadub wrote: »
    I would highly recommend a small philips airfryer. I got one at christmas and have rarely used the hob or regular oven since. You can fit a full small chicken in it or a half one easily.

I really want to get one of these but have heard mixed reports. Does the chicken taste as good as oven roast? What else have you cooked in it, and how did that turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I really want to get one of these but have heard mixed reports. Does the chicken taste as good as oven roast? What else have you cooked in it, and how did that turn out?

Yes! I'm interested too. I have one, but have used it only for chips- potato/sweet potato/butternut squash. Every now and again I remember that I should give other things a go in it, but I've never gotten round to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

The chickens used in those places are rank, have cysts boils etc.. they are the cheapest lowest grade as close as unfit for human consumption as you can get.... I wouldn't do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

dharma200 wrote: »
    The chickens used in those places are rank, have cysts boils etc.. they are the cheapest lowest grade as close as unfit for human consumption as you can get.... I wouldn't do it....

I'm sorry but this is utter nonsense. I worked in a supermarket where they roasted chickens and they were the same chickens as were sold uncooked.

I really don't know where you've gotten this notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I'm sorry but this is utter nonsense. I worked in a supermarket where they roasted chickens and they were the same chickens as were sold uncooked.

I really don't know where you've gotten this notion.

exactly.
    I feed my dogs raw chickens from supermarkets. I cut the raw chickens into quarters, I have been doing this for years. I honestly (and i eat meat happily) would NEVER buy a chicken from a supermarket to eat myself.. they are rank, and not fit for human consumption. Boils, cysts, faeces inside.... pressure sores and injected full of ming....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

exactly.
    I feed my dogs raw chickens from supermarkets. I cut the raw chickens into quarters, I have been doing this for years. I honestly (and i eat meat happily) would NEVER buy a chicken from a supermarket to eat myself.. they are rank, and not fit for human consumption. Boils, cysts, faeces inside.... pressure sores and injected full of ming....

Why are you trying to kill your dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

exactly.

You don't like your dogs is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

exactly.

Which supermarket are you getting these in?
    Have you reported them for selling unsafe food consistently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

tesco moroccan based cooked chicken are only savage. Yes they are fine in a fridge overnight and to say they are low quality with boils and stuff is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

for chips and onion rings and chicken drumsticks i use this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nCDnDj2rP4

for whole chicken i use this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7padruZiew
    making a hot roast chicken sandwich and salad cream i would get up at 3 am yummy
    and chicken ready for roasting tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Where did you buy the oven? looks neat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

As someone who worked for a couple years in the meat department of a supermarket, dharma200 is talking utter nonsense. Faeces, boils, cysts....seriously?!?!

I would prefer it over oven roast -however it might be that I am just so used to overdone roast chickens! as it cooks so fast I think there is less time to dry out. Wings came out very nice too.

I have done pizza in it, just take minutes, sausages come out well, don't have to turn them at all, I have done regular rashers and also slow cooked bacon and recooked in the frier which came out great. Frozen chips & sweet potato homemade chips came out OK.

I have gotten silicone fairy cases, you get 6 for €1.49 in dealz.

http://www.dealz.ie/jane-asher-silicone-cake-cases

These are great, I can fit all 6 in my airfryer basket. I can break an egg into one and I puncture the yolk and stick a bit of cheese on top. I have also done onion bhajis in the cases. I mixed up regular batter and put it in the case and then put a knob of coconut oil on top, these are lovely and you do not waste any oil at all. I have also done buns in it.

What were the negatives you heard, the main ones that concerned you?

I really value the timer function, when it turns off it does not hold as much heat as a regular cooking so there is not as much "residual heat cooking" going on. I can turn it on and forget about it. One downside is that it has a mechanical timer which is always operating whether turned on or not. I was hoping I could use a plug in timer to have it come on before I come home.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rubadub wrote: »
    I would prefer it over oven roast -however it might be that I am just so used to overdone roast chickens! as it cooks so fast I think there is less time to dry out. Wings came out very nice too.

I have done pizza in it, just take minutes, sausages come out well, don't have to turn them at all, I have done regular rashers and also slow cooked bacon and recooked in the frier which came out great. Frozen chips & sweet potato homemade chips came out OK.

I have gotten silicone fairy cases, you get 6 for €1.49 in dealz.

http://www.dealz.ie/jane-asher-silicone-cake-cases

These are great, I can fit all 6 in my airfryer basket. I can break an egg into one and I puncture the yolk and stick a bit of cheese on top. I have also done onion bhajis in the cases. I mixed up regular batter and put it in the case and then put a knob of coconut oil on top, these are lovely and you do not waste any oil at all. I have also done buns in it.

What were the negatives you heard, the main ones that concerned you?

I really value the timer function, when it turns off it does not hold as much heat as a regular cooking so there is not as much "residual heat cooking" going on.

I've mainly heard the chips are not very tasty out of it. It's also very noisy from the videos I've seen. Have you done roast potatoes in it?

Basically just don't want to buy yet another kitchen appliance that doesn't get used.(Hello slow cooker, ice-cream maker, food processor :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I'd love to know where that sort of crazy nonsense comes from. Is it just snobbery, it's so cheap it must be utter crap? Or I heard it from a friend of a friend type of thing?

My only qualms about them would be that they aren't likely free range but that's an ethical issue and not a food safety one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

"Free range" itself is often a bull**** marketing term itself; if you're really looking for welfare standards you'll need it to be certified organic. Which is another whole process that not all farms/farmers can afford.

I've mainly heard the chips are not very tasty out of it.
    The chips are nothing like those from a deep fryer. This is one big complaint I see and its really the fault of philips for promoting it as an alternative to a deep fryer, I see no real comparison. I researched first and had no expectations of it being a fryer. It is really just a fan oven, a quick heating fan oven with a powerful fan. I do not see much difference between oven chips in a regular oven vs the airfryer. Pizza was better from the fryer.
    Have you done roast potatoes in it?
    I haven't only really sweet potato chips, I have been off nightshade plants.
    It's also very noisy from the videos I've seen.
    It is quite noisy, a bit noisier than my regular oven with its fan going. It also can give off a lot of steam, if the food has lots of water. I heard a friends mother was going mad at all the steam. I have mine sitting on the hob under the fan, originally it was at a window. I move it off if using the hob, which is very rare as I just use the airfyer almost exclusively now.
    Basically just don't want to buy yet another kitchen appliance that doesn't get used.
    I was worried too, also some people end up just using things to feel they got value from it. My hypothetical question/test about my gadgets is "if it fell and broke tomorrow would I get another?" -that would get a very big YES, immediately. I keep meaning to loan it to my parents as I know they would love it.

Its also great for reheating food, (including supermarket chickens!) my microwave is neglected a lot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Rubbish! I don't know about other suppliers but SuperValu only use premium Grade A Irish chickens for roasting - the same as they have on the shelf for sale raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

the jml oven i bought directly from them or local stores like woodies/homebase have jml sections and might sell them,checked jml on special £29.99,originally paid 70 euros,one can even get an extender ring for cooking higher object.

Advertisement