Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safely reduce body fat

Options
  • 24-07-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Regular gym user. I have changed my routine and noticed good results. Anyway my bodyfat is between 16 and 19. I want to reduce it to around the 10% mark. My diet is health but not sure how many carbs I should be eating per day
    My weight is always between 88-90 k g and I am 6 ft 4. I work different shifts so one week I need to train at about 9 in the morning which I find hard as my energy level is not great.i wake up and have a bowl of portage then 15 later in the gym. Sorry for long winded question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭!RAY

!RAY wrote: »
    Regular gym user. I have changed my routine and noticed good results. Anyway my bodyfat is between 16 and 19. I want to reduce it to around the 10% mark. My diet is health but not sure how many carbs I should be eating per day
    My weight is always between 88-90 k g and I am 6 ft 4. I work different shifts so one week I need to train at about 9 in the morning which I find hard as my energy level is not great.i wake up and have a bowl of portage then 15 later in the gym. Sorry for long winded question.

Sorry my diet is.
    Breakfast
    Porrage and a fruit smother I make small bit of protein in it.
    Lunch
    Potatoes green veg samon. Two peaches or other fruit.
    Snack
    Protein shake.
    Dinner
    Much the same as lunch.
    Snack
    Jacobs crackers cheese about 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Under 150 grams of carbs daily. The ideal way to do this is by limiting or eliminating sugar (including fruit) and grains from your diet.

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Under 150 grams of carbs daily. The ideal way to do this is by limiting or eliminating sugar (including fruit) and grains from your diet.

Thanks Bruno
    One concern I have is in the morning before the gym what should I eat for energy. Don't want to take supplements

Thanks Bruno
    One concern I have is in the morning before the gym what should I eat for energy. Don't want to take supplements

If I've time I eat an omelette (3-4 eggs, 2 tablespoon creme fraiche, some grated cheddar or feta and sometimes spinach) and sometimes with 2-3 slices of bacon from butchers.

If time is limited I'd have Greek yogurt with blueberries and cinnamon (as much as I want until I feel full).

I'd always have coffee made either with full fat cream and coconut oil or butter and coconut oil.

I never need to eat again until lunch.

If I've time I eat an omelette (3-4 eggs, 2 tablespoon creme fraiche, some grated cheddar or feta and sometimes spinach) and sometimes with 2-3 slices of bacon from butchers.

If time is limited I'd have Greek yogurt with blueberries and cinnamon (as much as I want until I feel full).

I'd always have coffee made either with full fat cream and coconut oil or butter and coconut oil.

I never need to eat again until lunch.

Cheers ill give that a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks Bruno

How much are you doing in the gym for morning session?

You have a limited glycogen store in morning and an enormous fat store. Train your body to use the latter one. Maybe no need to eat anything in morning.

Why the need to get to 10% bf?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Cheers ill give that a go.

Just an FYI but Bruno's ideas are some what fringe and not generally accept by the majority here or science .

ford2600 wrote: »
    How much are you doing in the gym for morning session?

You have a limited glycogen store in morning and an enormous fat store. Train your body to use the latter one. Maybe no need to eat anything in morning.

Why the need to get to 10% bf?
    Hi ford2600
    Just what to see the results from the gym. Heading on holiday. In the gym I do about 15 min bike and 30-40 weights. How do I train body to use the latter one ?
    Cheers

Just an FYI but Bruno's ideas are some what fringe and not generally accept by the majority here or science .
    Hi LeinsterDub
    Can you add any help.
    Cheers

Hi LeinsterDub
    Can you add any help.
    Cheers

Calculate you're BMR (see the stickies) and have a calorific deficient

You do seems to be ingesting a lot of calories

• Advertisement

Any chance you'd offer a solution instead? What can you not accept about what I said to the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Toombs

Hi, for what its worth I used to have a bowl of cereal with blueberries before doing a workout in the gym. But found myself feeling lighted headed in the mornings after doing a reasonable level of aerobic exercise. I'd then move onto some weights and found myself getting light headed so I used to take a banana with me. I found eating it after I'd finished my aerobic exercise gave me the energy boost to get around a pretty intense weights programme with plenty of energy.

Banana's are a good slow release of energy...

However, I could do with getting my body fat percentage lower. So I'm leaner and fitter any suggestions on eating plan. I have a friend (ironically I know from down the pub) who works out a lot and he doesn't do carbs from mid-day onwards... I'm guessing it saves your body storing the carbs over night as fat. I don't want a quick fix but something more long term that's doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Any chance you'd offer a solution instead? What can you not accept about what I said to the op?

The fact that you just throw out posts to consume either less than 150g or 100g of carbs to everyone, regardless of sex, age, weight, height, fitness level, or activity type, would lead anyone to be sceptical of your knowledge in the discourse.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just saying that you can't expect anyone to think you know anything about nutrition.

@OP - Your diet looks good, obviously can't tell without the size of the meals but for your weight and height it looks good. Have you stalled on weight loss or anything? The diet mightn't get you to 10% without a bit of macro-cycling but 10% is a lot further away from 19% than a lot of people think. I just say that because if you are losing weight and maintaining performance (no reason why you shouldn't be increasing performance) with your current diet then it's the perfect diet.

@OP - Your diet looks good, obviously can't tell without the size of the meals but for your weight and height it looks good. Have you stalled on weight loss or anything? The diet mightn't get you to 10% without a bit of macro-cycling but 10% is a lot further away from 19% than a lot of people think. I just say that because if you are losing weight and maintaining performance (no reason why you shouldn't be increasing performance) with your current diet then it's the perfect diet.

Thanks.
    Food portions are average. One piece of salmon 2-3 patties hand portion of veg. Weight has always been between 88-90 k g. Performance is in providing. Actually I am superised by how much I got some pt sessions.massive difference after them
    I am just looking at diet and curious what to eat before gym at 9 in the morning
    The following week when I hit the gym after work in the evening are grand lots of energy

Doesn't really matter what eat before the gym if you train at 9 in the morning, maybe if you do lots of cardio or lots of volume with your resistance training but it won't affect you otherwise. When I train in the morning I don't bother eating before it. If you're eating breakfast when you're not hungry that would be the first thing I'd look at cutting out if I was you.

Calculate you're BMR (see the stickies) and have a calorific deficient

You do seems to be ingesting a lot of calories

Right bmr is 1939.134 and for mod active person 3,000 calories

The fact that you just throw out posts to consume either less than 150g or 100g of carbs to everyone, regardless of sex, age, weight, height, fitness level, or activity type, would lead anyone to be sceptical of your knowledge in the discourse.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just saying that you can't expect anyone to think you know anything about nutrition.

As immature and predictable as ever!

It's not thrown out. It's pretty simple really and it applies to everyone. Limit carbohydrate intake to less than 150 grams daily from only real foods. Any person who adheres to this will reach an appropriate weight / body fat level for them.

As immature and predictable as ever!

It's not thrown out. It's pretty simple really and it applies to everyone. Limit carbohydrate intake to less than 150 grams daily from only real foods. Any person who adheres to this will reach an appropriate weight / body fat level for them.

So you think 150g of carbs will have the same effect on Benedikt Magnusson as it will for my 16 year old niece? You are a person well grounded in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

15mins cardiovascular? ?

More cardio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

How much pasta or potatoes or porridge is 150g of carb?

So you think 150g of carbs will have the same effect on Benedikt Magnusson as it will for my 16 year old niece? You are a person well grounded in reality.

That's a great comparison!
    This thread is about your average person reducing body fat and keeping it off. Well done on adding no relevance to another thread.

That's a great comparison!
    This thread is about your average person reducing body fat and keeping it off. Well done on adding no relevance to another thread.

Well why did you literally say it applies to everyone?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    How much pasta or potatoes or porridge is 150g of carb?

I can't remember exactly. You could try google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hi ford2600
    Just what to see the results from the gym. Heading on holiday. In the gym I do about 15 min bike and 30-40 weights. How do I train body to use the latter one ?
    Cheers

Your looking for a very low body fat percentage.
    Hard enough to get there and certainly quickly in a sustainable healthy way.

I can't tell you what will work for you only what I do which maybe of no use to you.

There was a time I wouldn't train unless I was fueled up for fear of bonking, but now I'm the complete opposite. I can cycle for up to 5hrs/140km or so on empty in morning.

Given I completely changed how I trained and also diet, very hard if impossible to say what contributed most. Placebo may also be at play of course.

My body fat has dropped quite a bit in 11 months although that wasn't a goal. Don't have metrics for you other than weight is identical but clothes much looser, visibly leanrr face etc and waist about an inch less. Currently 13% bf.

What it was previously I can't say.

Whether diet or exercise related I can't say again.

BTW I wouldn't dream of eating what Bruno suggested before gym. Our bofies struggle when attempting to digest large amounts of food while exercising. Different hormones required and we only have so much blood to go around!

Best of luck. Take your time and don't hurry it. Your not doing too bad

ford2600 wrote: »
    Your looking for a very low body fat percentage.
    Hard enough to get there and certainly quickly in a sustainable healthy way.

I can't tell you what will work for you only what I do which maybe of no use to you.

There was a time I wouldn't train unless I was fueled up for fear of bonking, but now I'm the complete opposite. I can cycle for up to 5hrs/140km or so on empty in morning.

Given I completely changed how I trained and also diet, very hard if impossible to say what contributed most. Placebo may also be at play of course.

My body fat has dropped quite a bit in 11 months although that wasn't a goal. Don't have metrics for you other than weight is identical but clothes much looser, visibly leanrr face etc and waist about an inch less. Currently 13% bf.

What it was previously I can't say.

Whether diet or exercise related I can't say again.

BTW I wouldn't dream of eating what Bruno suggested before gym. Our bofies struggle when attempting to digest large amounts of food while exercising. Different hormones required and we only have so much blood to go around!

Best of luck. Take your time and don't hurry it. Your not doing too bad

Cheers Ford 2600
    To be honest just enjoying myself in the gym and getting in shape. Well done with 13% bf id be delighted with that. The reason I posted was that in 3-6 months time I don't want to look back and (not that it would bother me too much) say I should have done things a bit different. Your right everybody is different. Thanks for your replies and the best of luck.

If time is limited I'd have Greek yogurt with blueberries and cinnamon (as much as I want until I feel full)

Eh?

Eh?

carbs dont count if some nut job on a paleo website says they're ok. are you silly r sumtn?

u hafto ignore logic for it to work tho. There's carbs in eggs but they count because something etc...

Eh?

What's your question?

• Advertisement

ill get your next post for you brunzie, you sit back and have a no bread, bread and butter sambo!

aw another great contribution LeinsterDub! you really are redundant.

Advertisement