Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avonmore Protein Milk

• 23-05-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Avonmore Protein Milk

The low-fat milk contains an added “50% extra high quality whey and casein protein” which is designed to aid muscle recovery and development.

Kind of expensive €1.89 a litre

Any thoughts, would mixing a protein shake be cheeper and better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How many grams of protein per litre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

How many grams of protein per litre?

Around 49g if it's 50% more than the regular one which has 33g or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

If it's that little then you're basically paying Glanbia the difference in price for adding half a scoop of their protein to a litre of their milk...

I don't know how much a regular litre of milk costs but I'm gonna say it's better value to buy whey from a bulk provider and add it to milk yourself if that's what you want.

They seem to be marketing it heavily towards GAA players - maybe a way to sell more product under a "it's good old milk, not them dangerous wheyroids or creabols"?

Better off getting a protein supplement, if you really need to to keep your protein intake at a certain level

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Thanks everyone, really helpfull :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You can get 4 litres of low fat milk for €2.80 so thats €0.70 a litre

You can get 2.5kg of unflavoured whey on myprotein for €26.34, and you need 20g of this to raise the protein per litre of the milk to 50g. Which costs €0.21

So you can make your own "protein milk" for €0.91 / litre instead of €1.89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Avonmore hopping on the "eat loads of protein and you'll become magically lean" bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Avonmore hopping on the "eat loads of protein and you'll become magically lean" bandwagon.

Not as bad as when Brennan's tried to push it , young lads eating sliced pans in the changing room after training haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Egass13 wrote: »
    Not as bad as when Brennan's tried to push it , young lads eating sliced pans in the changing room after training haha

Oh jesus ya! There'll be rakes of lads swigging protein milk and downing the toast!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Marketing nonsense. Don't buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Already seeing loads of the lads drinking it in the gym.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Already seeing loads of the lads drinking it in the gym.

Avonmore be makin' all kinds of gainz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Between this and the other milk that tries to convince mothers that it's better than breast milk, 'follow on milk' or other such nonsense I think the dairy industry has had a bit of a dose of the mad cow.

Probably making a fortune out of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Marketing gimmick targeted at the GAA lads who think powders of any form are unnatural but if it comes from the teat of a cow it's grand.

It's working pretty well too.

Marketing gimmick targeted at the GAA lads who think powders of any form are unnatural but if it comes from the teat of a cow it's grand.

It's working pretty well too.

Well, you can't make milky tay with whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dremo

People likes to pay for convenience. All dem gainz

Yolo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I don;t see a problem with this. Sure it's cheaper just to mix in whey but you can make anything cheaper by sourcing the ingredients yourself. It's convenient source of a few more grams of protein. At least it's not bread pretending to be a great source of protein.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I don;t see a problem with this. Sure it's cheaper just to mix in whey but you can make anything cheaper by sourcing the ingredients yourself. It's convenient source of a few more grams of protein. At least it's not bread pretending to be a great source of protein.

I don't really consider it a lot more convenient than mixing up a bit of whey though.

I don't really consider it a lot more convenient than mixing up a bit of whey though.

Because you have whey on hand. A lot of people wouldn't touch that steroid dust :rolleyes:

Also I was more referring to if you're on the go a lot. I don't think it's a product people are gonna really stock up on like buying a few litres at a time like regular milk.

Because you have whey on hand. A lot of people wouldn't touch that steroid dust :rolleyes:

:D

Ok, fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

But the "protein milk" is shocking value. Its a marketing gimmick the young GAA lads will lap it up.

In fact the lads its targeted at would probably be better off drinking 2 liters of full fat milk instead of 1 liter of protein milk to get in more fats and more calories in general

Also I was more referring to if you're on the go a lot. I don't think it's a product people are gonna really stock up on like buying a few litres at a time like regular milk.
    If you're on the go a lot and you know you'll need protein, have some whey at hand.

You'd also be faced with the fact that not every shop will be seeling it if you find yourself in the backarse of nowhere.

Again, no added convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Sure it's not as economical as mixing your own at home but it's a handy snack on the go and it's decent for yoru health too.

I've paid 4e for a protein bar without much wailing.
    This is an alternative.

Sure it's not as economical as mixing your own at home but it's a handy snack on the go and it's decent for yoru health too.

I've paid 4e for a protein bar without much wailing.
    This is an alternative.

I'm not suggesting it needs to be banned. It's an alternative.

I wouldn't be chugging it down on a daily basis for dem gainz though.

conzy wrote: »
    But the "protein milk" is shocking value. Its a marketing gimmick the young GAA lads will lap it up.

In fact the lads its targeted at would probably be better off drinking 2 liters of full fat milk instead of 1 liter of protein milk to get in more fats and more calories in general

Honestly I haven't looked too much into it I just didn;t think it was such a bad idea. Are they using low fat milk with it!? Lower the calorie content I guess. Ugh.
    You'd also be faced with the fact that not every shop will be seeling it if you find yourself in the backarse of nowhere.

I'd say you're still more likely to find it in your local spar than having some whey near you.

Agreed but I don;t think that's what people will be doing. Maybe 3 times a week as there protein shake or whatever they want to think...

I'd say you're still more likely to find it in your local spar than having some whey near you.

If you're someone that's conscious of upping their protein uptake and you're on the go a lot, you'd be a little more prepared though.

In that context, I don't imagine you get too many lads on the road going "Sh*te....protein! I'll pull in at a shop in Inistioge and they'll surely have protein milk or whey" too often.

I can see it having a function if you're caught on the hop the odd time or as a stop gap but I don't imagine how it'd be a staple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

I'm not suggesting it needs to be banned. It's an alternative.

you missing out surely , dem gainz gets you dem biatches ...

actually my local spar sells the RTD maximuscle milk. This is probably in direct competition against them. As that price protein milk is a steal.

Was just working out the price of whey, I paid €27 for 908g of Precision Engineered. I think the scoop is 28g so I guess there is 30-31 portions in a pack. That works out at around 90c a scoop, for a waste product of dairies whey is far from cheap.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was just working out the price of whey, I paid €27 for 908g of Precision Engineered. I think the scoop is 28g so I guess there is 30-31 portions in a pack. That works out at around 90c a scoop, for a waste product of dairies whey is far from cheap.

You paid too much hence the unfavourable comparison.

2.5kg of flavoured protein for €39 on MyProtein. 25g in a serving with 20g of protein in each. 100 servings in all.

2 servings = 1 litre of the milk.

€39 versus €94.50.

• Advertisement

Yeah I bought it in Holland and Barrett on their 'sale' that is on at the moment. I had looked into buying online before but postage costs of €9 took the shine off it so didn't bother. What are my protein like for postage, is it worth your while buying just 2.5kg ?

Can't remember off top of my head. I'll say a fiver.

2.5kg is biggest pouch you'll get on MP. Still better value than H&B even if you just get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's a poor product as they also increased the amount of carbs per ml

Then again 50 grams of protein for less than 2 euro is handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

2.5kg is biggest pouch you'll get on MP. Still better value than H&B even if you just get that.

My Protein?

5kg Impact whey (250 x 20g scoops)

groupie15 coupon code

€53 delivered

Screen_Shot_2014_07_22_at_11_19_58_AM.png

Dermighty wrote: »
    My Protein?

5kg Impact whey (250 x 20g scoops)

groupie15 coupon code

€53 delivered

Ah. I did think that odd. I knew there were bigger pouches but when I went to pick the option on my phone it only offered 1kg or 2.5kg options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Question: Is milk in general okay to be drinking when you're trying to eat healthy?:) I mean having a glass or two of milk (maybe I'd have one during dinner and then one before I go to bed, but usually I just have one).

• Advertisement

Question: Is milk in general okay to be drinking when you're trying to eat healthy?:) I mean having a glass or two of milk (maybe I'd have one during dinner and then one before I go to bed, but usually I just have one).

Yes. It's certainly something that won't break an otherwise healthy diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

It's a good mix of whey and casein protein, calories are high if you normally make your shake with water, however it is half the price of the pre-made shakes at the nutrition shop. I think it is a great option for post work out, however, I do think a lot of the general public will use it unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

It's a good mix of whey and casein protein, calories are high if you normally make your shake with water, however it is half the price of the pre-made shakes at the nutrition shop. I think it is a great option for post work out, however, I do think a lot of the general public will use it unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

Why do they lower the fats in these things, especially if they're aiming it a gaa players, the carbs are pure sugar not exactly slow release, try staying fit and lean drinking 2ltrs of that a day, you'd have a belly within a fortnight, I can picture lads standing on a scale delighted with themselves that they're 3lbs heavier in a week, thinking its all muscle when its 2.5lb of fat and 1/2 a pound of muscle:D

The Mrs. is the same, trying to lose weight, flat out eating muller lights 0.1gr of fat, 8.5gr of carbs of which sugars 7.7gr:rolleyes:, you'd be better off with more fats and less carbs.

The only thing it'd be any good for is bulking and that as already said can be done cheaper.

Why do they lower the fats in these things

Marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I don't think it's fair to compare 4l of Tesco milk against the Protein Milk as one poster did. Regular Avonmore milk is €1.24 per litre vs €1.89 per litre for the Avonmore Protein Milk. I'd happily pay the 65c for the extra 50g of protein in a pack. I don't understand how people can call it a useless product and bang on about mixing it with whey instead when that really is less convenient for trivial savings. If people want some extra protein and don't mind paying for a bit of convenience, then so what.

edit. I'll also add that 50g of protein is pretty much the same as 2 cans of tuna which people would probably buy to increase protein intake. If you already buy milk, it seems like an easy change to make instead of shelling out more money for other protein sources. Two cans of tuna could run you an extra €2+. At the end of the day, I can see the merit in the product and I don't know why there's so many people here who seem to be offended that Avonmore are offering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Supervalu have now released their own branded protein milk... an extra gramme of protein has been shoved in there per 100ml over the Avonmore version. I'd imagine it's cheaper also...

I picked some up the other day, tastes not quite as nice but still fine.

And it has GAA players on the packaging to lure you in!

dorgasm wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to compare 4l of Tesco milk against the Protein Milk as one poster did. Regular Avonmore milk is €1.24 per litre vs €1.89 per litre for the Avonmore Protein Milk. I'd happily pay the 65c for the extra 50g of protein in a pack. I don't understand how people can call it a useless product and bang on about mixing it with whey instead when that really is less convenient for trivial savings. If people want some extra protein and don't mind paying for a bit of convenience, then so what.

Just for clariy's sake, it's not an extra 50g. Fresh Milk has 33g protein in a litre. Protein milk has 51g protein per litre. So it's an extra 18g for 65 c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Just for clariy's sake, it's not an extra 50g. Fresh Milk has 33g protein in a litre. Protein milk has 51g protein per litre. So it's an extra 18g for 65 c.

Ah, yep that's correct, I wrote that down wrong. As someone who'd buy 1L of milk per week, that cost is still ok for me. I can definitely see why a big milk drinker would avoid though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

JoeyD wrote: »
    Supervalu have now released their own branded protein milk... an extra gramme of protein has been shoved in there per 100ml over the Avonmore version. I'd imagine it's cheaper also...

I picked some up the other day, tastes not quite as nice but still fine.

And it has GAA players on the packaging to lure you in!

Lidl have launched protein milk also not sure how much it is but im sure its less than €1.89:
    according to myFitnessPal
    Servings:
    Calories 52
    Total Fat 2 g Saturated 1 g
    Total Carbs 5 g
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 5 g
    Sodium 40 mg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

neacy69 wrote: »
    Lidl have launched protein milk also not sure how much it is but im sure its less than €1.89:
    Servings:
    Calories 52
    Total Carbs 5 g
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 5 g
    Sodium 40 mg

How many __mls is that for?

How many __mls is that for?

That's what MFP gives for 100mls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Ironically chocolate milk is really the best option for recovery . Perfect ratio of carbs to protein and pretty much as good as any expensive recovery drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

neacy69 wrote: »
    Servings:
    Calories 52
    Total Carbs 5 g
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 5 g
    Sodium 40 mg

I got some of these the other day. 1 euro per litre, hard to go wrong. I'd happily drink a litre of milk with a meal - extra 50g protein? Yes please.

I did some math and the Lidl protein milk is only slightly more expensive per gram of protein than whey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Zillah wrote: »
    I got some of these the other day. 1 euro per litre, hard to go wrong. I'd happily drink a litre of milk with a meal - extra 50g protein? Yes please.

I did some math and the Lidl protein milk is only slightly more expensive per gram of protein than whey.

But it comes with a whole load more carbs which is fine for some people, but not for others.

€1 for 1l of it is good value though - is that not the same as the price for 'normal milk'? Maybe I am out of touch :D 'Normal' milk would have around 35g of protein anyway I think, so it's only 15g extra even if you do drink a litre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement