Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberghost VPN Special Edition - €5 for 12 months

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I've also tested it (via l2tp) and got the BBC iPlayer working on my android phone though the quality leaves a lot to be desired but kind of expected. I'm using uk.l2tp.cyberghostvpn.com - is there an alternate server that we can (ab)use or that someone has had more luck with?

iplayer was always good for me, are you trying to get HD? How fast is your broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

thegift06 wrote: »
    I did indeed and was able to get onto a UK server using a manual L2TP connection, only problem is every time i try the BBC iplayer it fails to load the page at all while other load fine, seems as though they are blocked. Anyone have the server that is unblocked?

Working fine here, when you use a vpn you may need to flush your dns cache -"ipconfig /flushdns" on windows, when you go to google.com if you're connected properly you should be redirected to google.co.uk. If you are and still have problems with iplayer try a different browser, safari, comodo dragon, chrome and make sure your flash is up to date, although chrome usually uses its own built in version. Could also be something funky with yoyr dns server so try

google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
    opendns: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

if you have kids you can use opendns family dns: 208.67.222.123, 208.67.220.123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

iplayer was always good for me, are you trying to get HD? How fast is your broadband?

As I said on PC using home broadband is watchable in SD - trying to stream in HD causes stutter and buffering. I'm actually trying to stream it through my network data.

I can stream full world cup games in near HD quality through non vpn/Sky Go app but using the iplayer/vpn as a test it's nearly impossible to even see the ball i.e. very pixelated. I'm going to presume it more then likely my connection to the VPN but just wondering if its same for other people. I'll try a US connection later to see how that looks.

Still for a fiver its well worth it for me streaming via the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Just in time to renew last years deal :)

I've found them quite good in that time. Use them near daily for US streaming and never had speed problems (not count the times where my ISP was at fault :/). Judging by download speeds I think downstream might be capped at about 1-2 Mb/s. I could be wrong about this. I haven't had issues with the speed so I haven't investigated much.

I use it on my Android phone (Nexus 4) with the OpenVPN for Android app by Arne Schwabe (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn). Others might work equally well but this worked for me straight off. I have used the UK gateway in the past. Just changed the server address in the config file and it worked fine. Haven't had call to do it in a while though.

Only problem I've had is in getting it to work on my router. I think that's because I haven't the right firmware on my aging Linksys WRT54GL. So if anyone has had success setting up a vpn client on this router with DD-WRT can they please let me know :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Around €0.41 a month is a great price for this!

• Advertisement

The premium one is cheap enough too. €15 for unlimited volume and bandwidth
    https://store.cyberghostvpn.com/848/?scope=checkout&cart=137566&coupon=FT1-95M-DW6&x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

That's cracking value.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Does anyone know if you can use this in connection with Netflix on an iOS device to access to Netflix USA and then use the chromecast to stream to tv? or will the chromecast and ios device technically not on the same ip address (due to cyberghost) and therefore it wont work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can use this in connection with Netflix on an iOS device to access to Netflix USA and then use the chromecast to stream to tv? or will the chromecast and ios device technically not on the same ip address (due to cyberghost) and therefore it wont work?

Currently both devices have to be on the same lan. There was a mention at Google I/O that this will change in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

degsie wrote: »
    Currently both devices have to be on the same lan. There was a mention at Google I/O that this will change in the near future.

Thanks for that, appreciate it. If Google does change it will be great for netflix USA on chromecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

got the premium one for €15 , i already had the €5 package, but was limited to just a few countries, and for some reason when i set location to USA , but netflix thought i was in Holland !!

anyway , all working fine now, swapping between Canada and the US netflix easily. for my €5 that i had already spent, it now just added 100 odd days to the new premium package, so happy out

2smiggy wrote: »
    got the premium one for €15 , i already had the €5 package, but was limited to just a few countries, and for some reason when i set location to USA , but netflix thought i was in Holland !!

anyway , all working fine now, swapping between Canada and the US netflix easily. for my €5 that i had already spent, it now just added 100 odd days to the new premium package, so happy out

Notice any difference speed/bandwidth wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Notice any difference speed/bandwidth wise?

to tell the truth no. netflix seems to run the same on the €5 package and the €15 one, but I was not really looking out for any differences, and did not run any speed tests etc

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

2smiggy wrote: »
    I bought this, and set my location to the US , uninstalled netflix from my nexus 10, reinstalled and logged back in. I think it brought me to the dutch netflix ??

Also can this be used on the PS3 or PS4 ?

Getting the Dutch netflix too on my iPhone. Did you find a fix for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

dellWlan wrote: »
    Getting the Dutch netflix too on my iPhone. Did you find a fix for it?

Intermittently getting this too. Could it be that the US servers are at max capacity and we're redirected to NL? Pain the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Intermittently getting this too. Could it be that the US servers are at max capacity and we're redirected to NL? Pain the hole!

What's my IP tells me I'm in Pennsylvania so it must be something netflix is doing or seeing beyond the VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Just in time to renew last years deal :)

I've found them quite good in that time. Use them near daily for US streaming and never had speed problems (not count the times where my ISP was at fault :/). Judging by download speeds I think downstream might be capped at about 1-2 Mb/s. I could be wrong about this. I haven't had issues with the speed so I haven't investigated much.

I use it on my Android phone (Nexus 4) with the OpenVPN for Android app by Arne Schwabe (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn). Others might work equally well but this worked for me straight off. I have used the UK gateway in the past. Just changed the server address in the config file and it worked fine. Haven't had call to do it in a while though.

Only problem I've had is in getting it to work on my router. I think that's because I haven't the right firmware on my aging Linksys WRT54GL. So if anyone has had success setting up a vpn client on this router with DD-WRT can they please let me know :)

I bought the edition linked on the first page and run several speed tests with it on, off and using a free account.

I think you are right that it's limited somewhere between 1-2mb and it's resulting in a lot of buffering of I'm watching video

Is anyone else getting faster download?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'm on UPC and I generally get good speeds with no buffering using netflix. Ran a speedtest earlier and though pings were bad I got 25mbps down.316182.png

dec2000 wrote: »
    I bought the edition linked on the first page and run several speed tests with it on, off and using a free account.

I think you are right that it's limited somewhere between 1-2mb and it's resulting in a lot of buffering of I'm watching video

Is anyone else getting faster download?

What server are you using Im using g Switzerland for zattoo and my connection is limited to 7.8mb down and 1.98mb up by my local ISP. With cyberghost I got 4.69 down and 3.31up just now to the server in Dundalk. 5.08 down and 2.5 up to Paris server

I'm on UPC and I generally get good speeds with no buffering using netflix. Ran a speedtest earlier and though pings were bad I got 25mbps down.

I'm trying the US servers and just selected the same server in your screenshot and got 0.2mb download !!

Without VPN I got 45mb download.

I tried selecting server automatically in the U.S. and it took me to L.A. with the same 0.23mb download.

Connected to Switzerland and got 8mb download so is seems to be only U.S. that is really slow

• Advertisement

I'm with UPC and without the vpn active i get 122.62 down and I've just retried there with Cyberghost on and got 50.3Mbps down, it is very strange that you are getting such a drop.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3653411242][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3653411242.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]3653411242.png

I'm with UPC and without the vpn active i get 122.62 down and I've just retried there with Cyberghost on and got 50.3Mbps down, it is very strange that you are getting such a drop.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3653411242][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3653411242.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]3653411242.png

I'm using the cyberghost app, might try to manually configure, if not I'll open a ticket

I was also using the app fwiw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 soran3601

could someone post a speed test for the premium Irish servers please

thinking of getting it for p2p

im on upc 120 mbps so i dont wanna lose a lot off the speed

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It's €15 now, is the deal over or is there a promo code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 soran3601

i think the deal is still

cruhoortwunk

posted a link on pg 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    It's €15 now, is the deal over or is there a promo code?

Id not bother to be honest its not a good vpn as other posted I kept getting dutch netflix and hulu said i was in Holland also when using the American servers.

jjbrien wrote: »
    Id not bother to be honest its not a good vpn as other posted I kept getting dutch netflix and hulu said i was in Holland also when using the American servers.

Depending on the source of geolocation data it can take a long time for an ip to be updated. There are 56 US servers you can choose by name e.g.
    LosAngeles-S01-I01
    NewYork-S01-I01

Try a different one. I have no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Was about to renew my account with Private Internet Access. Happy I didn't!

Will buy this tomorrow once i get paid :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

Just bought a $15 account also buying a MinixNeo X8 H tonight.

I was wondering what OpenVPN for android app are you all using as the link supplied doesnt lead anywhere.

Advertisement