Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung 55”UE55HU6900 Ultra HD tv 4K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cyklo

Did anybody get tracking number or tv delivered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

cyklo wrote: »
    Did anybody get tracking number or tv delivered?

Got in touch with DHL to arrange meeting delivery, no info without tracking number. Mailed ibood for tracking number and got auto response of "we'll get back to you in 1-2 days"
    Bit messy to dispatch without sending tracking numbers- that is if there IS any and it IS dhl.

Good news. I just got a tv delivered 15 minutes ago, but no warning call from dhl crowd beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Good news. I just got a tv delivered 15 minutes ago, but no warning call from dhl crowd beforehand.

Waiting on your feedback mate.

Raging. Missed delivery by 20 minutes. All I got was a slip to say I wasn't home and an empty voicemail from courier, who won't now answer to me or DHL. Fcuk sake- is it too much for a courier to ring ahead? Specially with an oversized package like this?
    Also poor show from iBood. Tracking numbers assigned and they can't even get them out to customers? I'd be less pissed if they weren't tracked!
    Have to wait til Monday now.
    TV forever tainted!
    Rant over.

• Advertisement

dos29, if you have a big enough car, I think you can collect it directly from DHL facility somewhere around long mile road, if I remember correctly, on Saturday, which saves you two days waiting. I hope you have your tracking number now, you will need it.

Hey guys, any feedback yet :) I can't wait to check what I missed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rightman

Hi there,
    There is another UHD Samsung TV on offer from iBood - every region except Ireland again!

Copy this to your address bar =>
    ibood.com/extra-de/de/

It is Samsung 55 " LED-Smart-TV-UHD (Typ: UE55HU7500).

If you know how to use a cheap courier from France, Belgium, Germany etc it might be a good value at 1699e.

Cheers

Is is possible to order from ibood.de with ROI address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Its an extra €500 than the original offer plus extra postage to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

Barr wrote: »
    Its an extra €500 than the original offer plus extra postage to Ireland.

It's a vastly superior set than the HU6900.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rightman

techdiver wrote: »
    It's a vastly superior set than the HU6900.

Exactly
    In this case it is you get what you pay for.

Regarding the courier I know companies transporting TVs like this from 70e up...
    It can be sent from Germany, Netherlands, Poland (every courier has their own list of origin countries they serve) and extra insurance is also available.

Hey owners of 6900, can you share your opinion on the set please, how does it handle 24p, any issues with black, motion blur?
    Cheers

Some UHD tests on Eutelsat already up, needs HEVC

http://www.eutelsat.com/en/services/broadcast/ultra-hd-channel.html

I am moving into a new build soon, so had been watching ibood for tv offers for a long while for a 50/55 incher but nothing seemed to be coming.
    Was looking at a clearance model 55F6400 in harvey norman for €1100 the week before this came up, but had decided on a 50H6400 for about €950 and was about to order the day the ibood came out.
    Grabbed the 55HU6900 and have to say, delighted with it. I'm no pro when it comes to tv's but as far as I can see the HD absolute crystal and I see no issues with SD. Problems listed like moving images falling apart and soap opera effect are things I haven't noticed. Watching some of the world cup, if I really look for it I can see a bit of trailing with VERY fast movement, but generally I'm not gonna notice this.
    The issue with 24p is with blu ray if I'm not mistaken? Don't have one hooked up yet, so haven't looked into it.
    Smart wise I don't have internet hooked up yet either so can't judge really, also having never had a smart tv before.
    The menu didn't have Ireland to select as country, but saorview works on whichever I put it on, Finland I think. There is an update for the software but I couldn't download it when I hooked up to my phones hotspot.
    The manual does say it has the ability to be upgraded with an evolution kit, so thats another bonus I wasn't expecting.
    Obviously haven't watched anything UHD yet, but it's nice to know I can once it goes more mainstream.
    For the price, your not gonna get an all singing all dancing top shelf UHD tv. They say its only a bargain if you were gonna buy it anyway, and this is so far above what I was gonna get for similar money, I consider it a complete bargain. Those in the market for the all singing all dancing like the 7500/8500 are obviously going to have to pay more, which I couldn't.
    Only real thing I'm anyway not happy with is iboods service. I posted already on the delivery issue, but iboods "uncontactability" is sbsurd. One of the emails received after ordering refers to a UK plug being included. I only got a European one. Sent an email querying over a week ago and once again I'm hearing nothing back.
    Have others received a UK lead?

I am moving into a new build soon, so had been watching ibood for tv offers for a long while for a 50/55 incher but nothing seemed to be coming.
    Was looking at a clearance model 55F6400 in harvey norman for €1100 the week before this came up, but had decided on a 50H6400 for about €950 and was about to order the day the ibood came out.
    Grabbed the 55HU6900 and have to say, delighted with it. I'm no pro when it comes to tv's but as far as I can see the HD absolute crystal and I see no issues with SD. Problems listed like moving images falling apart and soap opera effect are things I haven't noticed. Watching some of the world cup, if I really look for it I can see a bit of trailing with VERY fast movement, but generally I'm not gonna notice this.
    The issue with 24p is with blu ray if I'm not mistaken? Don't have one hooked up yet, so haven't looked into it.
    Smart wise I don't have internet hooked up yet either so can't judge really, also having never had a smart tv before.
    The menu didn't have Ireland to select as country, but saorview works on whichever I put it on, Finland I think. There is an update for the software but I couldn't download it when I hooked up to my phones hotspot.
    The manual does say it has the ability to be upgraded with an evolution kit, so thats another bonus I wasn't expecting.
    Obviously haven't watched anything UHD yet, but it's nice to know I can once it goes more mainstream.
    For the price, your not gonna get an all singing all dancing top shelf UHD tv. They say its only a bargain if you were gonna buy it anyway, and this is so far above what I was gonna get for similar money, I consider it a complete bargain. Those in the market for the all singing all dancing like the 7500/8500 are obviously going to have to pay more, which I couldn't.
    Only real thing I'm anyway not happy with is iboods service. I posted already on the delivery issue, but iboods "uncontactability" is sbsurd. One of the emails received after ordering refers to a UK plug being included. I only got a European one. Sent an email querying over a week ago and once again I'm hearing nothing back.
    Have others received a UK lead?

Hey,

I thought I'd just share my experience of the UE65HU7500 here.

I received the set a couple of weeks ago and set it up in no time. The TV did have the WOW factor and the picture was fabulous on HD and blu-ray, and even coped admirably with SD, considering the amount of pixels it had to make up. 1080p movies were up-scaled excellently also. Black levels were fantastic.

I was truly chuffed with it and when if was fed with 4K content like House of Cards on Netflix, it really stood out. I will state for the record now that 4K does improve over 1080p and it is a visible difference.

Unfortunately the fairytale ended when watching sport (the world cup), where I noticed some of the dreaded vertical banding. Once I noticed it it got "worse" (i.e. I knew it was there and it was distracting). I immediatley contacted Samsung, who after two calls told me to request a replacement form my retailer, which I did.

A couple of days later, my replacement arrived an the "old" one was removed. Once again I set it up and put on the world cup again to test and low and behold this replacement set was significantly worse than the first one. I'm talking at least 7 - 8 visible line in motion shots across the entire screen! I was crest fallen as, apart from the banding issue, this set is amazing!

I did all the usual grey scale tests and that really showed the issue to the fullest extent. I have now returned the second one and am contemplating what to do. I'm amazed that so many years down the line, that manufacturers still release TV's with such bad vertical banding. I know it's a lottery at times, but I don't want that when spending the guts of €4,000 on a TV!

What to do, what to do??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

The TV has come up again on this site for £999, not sure how it would work with parcel motel etc

http://www.sonicdirect.co.uk/4K-Ultra-HD-TVs/Samsung-UE55HU6900-55-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-LED-TV-200Hz-Freeview-HD?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

techdiver wrote: »
    What to do, what to do??:confused:

Quick, get a Panasonic Plasma before supplies all dry up!

This is what I've been trying to tell people all throughout this thread. LED/LCD, even, 4k TV, are far inferior to a good plasma.

Yes, it is incredibly sad how bad the TV industry is and how there are more interested in selling inferior technology and focusing on immature features like 3D, Smart TV, curved TV and now 4k for purely marketing purposes, over quality.

Spend your money on a quality plasma, plasmas have by far the best picture quality, while also having the best SD upconverting and superb for sports and gaming due to low lag, etc.

bk wrote: »
    Quick, get a Panasonic Plasma before supplies all dry up!

This is what I've been trying to tell people all throughout this thread. LED/LCD, even, 4k TV, are far inferior to a good plasma.

Yes, it is incredibly sad how bad the TV industry is and how there are more interested in selling inferior technology and focusing on immature features like 3D, Smart TV, curved TV and now 4k for purely marketing purposes, over quality.

Spend your money on a quality plasma, plasmas have by far the best picture quality, while also having the best SD upconverting and superb for sports and gaming due to low lag, etc.

There have been plenty of cases of vertical banding with plasma's too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I think the point bk is trying to make is that the 2014 Panasonic plasma TVs are currently the best TVs available. Also, it doesn't say a lot that you've had two of the same TV and they've both had the same issue, albeit the 2nd being worse than the 1st. I wouldn't put much faith in the 3rd being much better.

With that said, whatever choice you make, let us know how you get on :)

<
    Rsaeire wrote: »
    I think the point bk is trying to make is that the 2014 Panasonic plasma TVs are currently the best TVs available.

There is no such a thing as 2014 Panasonic plasma tv as Panasonic has ceased production of plasma TV's last year. Perhaps you're talking about 2013 Panasonic's plasma TV's.
    Speaking about Samsung 55HU6900 as  user I can confirm that is quite Ok as for an entry model. UHD and FHD content looks stunning, unless there is a heavy grain in the picture . As Samsung used 60 Hz LCD panel, fast moving objects can seem a little blurry. There is no advanced de-blurring system implemented. In Motion Plus Menu you'll find only LED Clear Motion Mode (kind of BFI ??) along with de-judder (Off, Standard,Smooth and Custom mode, adjustable in 10 steps ), however both functions can not work simultaneously.
    Measured contrast is 2400 (factory settings ) and 3000 after calibration, which is not too bad for   LED entry model, but it's far behind the last Panasonic's plasma tellys. In this field cheaper Samsung UE55H6400 scores astonishingly 4000/4500, reaching the level of contrast reserved until now only for the best LED premium models.
    Undoubtedly,  the best feature of UE55HU6900 is its SMART Hub along with the multimedia player which can play almost anything and make your streamer redundant . It's able to decode m2ts, mkv files with DD , DTS and DTS-MA (core), switching between subtitles and audio streams muxed -in (if file is played from LAN,  subject to DLNA server compatibility/settings) and most important, files encoded with x.265/h.265 codecs.
    Personally I think is a little bit to early for 4k tv and  model H6400 will be better choice for your money. Unless you're a geek who wants to test or use tv as a 4k monitor ( Lag 46ms). The latest Nvidia drivers allows to set 4k resolution trough the HDMI 2.0 although only  with 8-bit colour space, regardless description. But again 55" it's a bit to big for monitor while 40" model is a little bit pricey, especially in a wake of cheap Chinese monitors European expansion. Seiki has  just announced the second generation 4k TV's and 4k monitors.

edit: I'm sorry, I was posting on small tablet and as it's always been a challenge for me,
    somehow I've missed important part.
    There should be: the latest Nvidia drivers allow to work with 4k resolution at 60 Hz through the HDMI and this TV can do it.

the best feature of UE55HU6900 is its SMART Hub along with the multimedia player which can play almost anything and make your streamer redundant

And same time the worse feature of this and others Smart Hub enabled Samsung TVs. It will not let you fast forward, skip to, anything but pause/play doesn't work - which makes it completely useless for me as I never watch a movie without an interruption :))))) Some people probably don't care if they have time to watch a movie/home video from the start to the end uninterrupted.

I will stick with my old "dinosaur" popcorn hour, until samsung implements this features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

There is no such a thing as 2014 Panasonic plasma tv as Panasonic has ceased production of plasma TV's last year. Perhaps you're talking about 2013 Panasonic's plasma TV's.

Yes, I meant to say 2013.

Plasmas have prons and cons same as LEDs, OLEDs, LCD. Some people likes plasmas some LED, I have had LG plasma for 4 years and its cons I started to hate recently, "burn in effect" became unbearable to see, especially after PS4 game left on pause for a while, dither I started to notice even from the distance; now with all LED cons I still prefer LED vs Plasma. You can't expect everyone like plasmas. I think the future is OLED and if you have budget for it this is a TV to choose.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    And same time the worse feature of this and others Smart Hub enabled Samsung TVs. It will not let you fast forward, skip to, anything but pause/play doesn't work - which makes it completely useless for me as I never watch a movie without an interruption :))))) Some people probably don't care if they have time to watch a movie/home video from the start to the end uninterrupted.

I will stick with my old "dinosaur" popcorn hour, until samsung implements this features

You're completly wrong about this. You can FF to any moment . Single press will give you 10sec jump but you can press and hold or simply catch the time progress indicator and drag it to the point which you're looking for. Also it can work with chapters if the played file has muxed-in meta data. Searching in Netflix or YouTube applications is easier as it allows you to see picture frame on the time scale, like in PS3 playback. If you don't like to control playback with a new gyroscope RC you can use tablet or smartphone. You can find a few apps which will allow you to do this. There is even application DSVideo for Synology's NAS users
    Btw I did not mean to praise Samsung player, as using it obviously is not convenient as using any well developed standalone NMT's such as PCH or Dune, but none of these can play HEVC or 4k files :). In these field Samsung is winning with the other brands. Superior Panasonic 800series can't do this, not mention it has no Netflix. The other 4k tv's can't play at the moment TV-Sat 4k HEVC streams on their own without using external equipment. This makes Samsung's HU tv's special.

Edit: BTW I'm a plasma lover. Watching movies only on PJ or plasma, and using LCD''s only for watching television, playing games or in the bedroom. But for the last couple of weeks I'm using this one for movies as well and I'm not unhappy about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

You're completly wrong about this. You can FF to any moment . Single press will give you 10sec jump but you can press and hold or simply catch the time progress indicator and drag it to the point which you're looking for. Also it can work with chapters if the played file has muxed-in meta data. Searching in Netflix or YouTube applications is easier as it allows you to see picture frame on the time scale, like in PS3 playback. If you don't like to control playback with a new gyroscope RC you can use tablet or smartphone. You can find a few apps which will allow you to do this. There is even application DSVideo for Synology's NAS users
    Btw I did not mean to praise Samsung player, as using it obviously is not convenient as using any well developed standalone NMT's such as PCH or Dune, but none of these can play HEVC or 4k files :). In these field Samsung is winning with the other brands. Superior Panasonic 800series can't do this, not mention it has no Netflix. The other 4k tv's can't play at the moment TV-Sat 4k HEVC streams on their own without using external equipment. This makes Samsung's HU tv's special.

Edit: BTW I'm a plasma lover. Watching movies only on PJ or plasma, and using LCD''s only for watching television, playing games or in the bedroom. But for the last couple of weeks I'm using this one for movies as well and I'm not unhappy about this.

I have the 55inch 2013 VT65 Panny plasma, and its good, but I do have issues with it.

Sam Mac
    Do you want to swap? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Sam Mac
    Do you want to swap? ;)

Looking to sell it, throw me a PM if interested

• Advertisement

You're completly wrong about this. You can FF to any moment . Single press will give you 10sec jump but you can press and hold or simply catch the time progress indicator and drag it to the point which you're looking for.

Maybe it improved in 2014 model, I have 2013 F9000 and I cannot do anything with the movie (mp4 downloaded from youtube) but pause or play. Also same with my home videos recorded with Sony Handycam.

When I get 2014 evolution kit, which will upgrade my TV to 2014 models, I will let you know if it changed. I hope it will, very irritating to watch movies like that :)

And of course you right, none of my media boxes, PCH or Apple TV can play any of UHD content, I will rely on tele for that, thought none still available to play :)

By the way, does 4K Netflix work on your set?

Advertisement