Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 55”UE55HU6900 Ultra HD tv 4K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

techdiver wrote: »
    I don't believe sitting 5 feet from a 55" TV is too close.

Just for people with trouble with distances most people are taller than five foot so you're talking about watching a TV which is maybe as high as a small child at less distance than a short person lying down. If you've got that sort of setup in your house that's great but most people don't and it would be borderline crazy to most people.

This becomes important when you consider the uptake of 4k for the general masses. The size of set required to get the benefit versus the size of most peoples rooms versus the maximum size set they can actually physicall fit in whatever corner they've assigned means there are a large chunk of people who 4k can never offer an improvement to but that won't stop TV sales people trying to sell it to them. Considering this is a forum about trying to save people money it makes sense to make people aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

Toast wrote: »
    Considering this is a forum about trying to save people money it makes sense to make people aware of this.

In fairness, the TV is no more expensive than equivalent 1080p models, so it's not as if it's not a bargain if you are in the market for a new TV.

In my living room, we have the TV centred and we sit 6 feet form it. It is perfect.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In my living room, we have the TV centred and we sit 6 feet form it. It is perfect.

As per the charts I linked to earlier, at 6 feet your eyes won't be able to discern a difference between a 1080p image and a 4k image on a 55" TV

Not saying it won't have a great picture quality and that you won't be happy with it, just buyer beware.

For what you are paying for this TV, you could get a superb Plasma TV which would offer a much better picture quality.

bk wrote: »
    As per the charts I linked to earlier, at 6 feet your eyes won't be able to discern a difference between a 1080p image and a 4k image on a 55" TV

Not saying it won't have a great picture quality and that you won't be happy with it, just buyer beware.

For what you are paying for this TV, you could get a superb Plasma TV which would offer a much better picture quality.

Those charts only assume for 20/20 vision. Many people have better than 20/20 vision as do I and can discern greater detail at further distances. (http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/)

Anyway, as I said earlier I was willing to take the gamble. I will report back when I receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That is the problem, no one sits just 4 feet from a 65" TV!!

The average sitting distance from a TV is 9 feet. At that distance the human eye isn't able to discern a difference between 1080P and 4K at sizes less then 80"

BTW this is fact based on studies done into human vision by doctors.

Sure, standing right in front of a massive 65" TV in a show room, it looks great, but no one actually uses a TV in this way in the living room, it just isn't comfortable and it would make you sick after an hour of viewing. Just go look up the THX recommendations for optimum viewing distances, etc.

As I mentioned 4 feet or more and I could clearly see the increased detail.

The fact is whether you can discern it or not the resolution is increased and the technology is better. Can never have too much res!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Whether 4K content is discernible from 1080p content at a particular viewing distance isn't what should be discussed so much, what 4K content the people who bought this TV will be viewing is what should be discussed.

For those who bought this TV, are you planning on enjoying 1080p content upscaled on your new TV, House of Cards in 4K on Netflix or some other type of content? I ask as I'm interested in the motivation for buying such a TV, besides the fact that it was a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's actually a bad price. Back in the day I payed €1,100 for a 26" HDTV that could do 720p/1080i. That was at the end of 2005. Now look how cheap a 26" HDTV is if you can still find one that small. 4k will be that cheap in 8-9 years when 4k content will be common and something else will be here to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Backside

That's actually a bad price. Back in the day I payed €1,100 for a 26" HDTV that could do 720p/1080i. That was at the end of 2005. Now look how cheap a 26" HDTV is if you can still find one that small. 4k will be that cheap in 8-9 years when 4k content will be common and something else will be here to replace it.

Its already in the pipeline for some countries, Japan will be broadcasting the 2020 Olympics in 8K testing begins 2016, Ireland will still be in 1080i probably lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Backside wrote: »
    Its already in the pipeline for some countries, Japan will be broadcasting the 2020 Olympics in 8K testing begins 2016, Ireland will still be in 1080i probably lol

Do you have a link for that Japan showing the olympics in 8k?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Raoul wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that Japan showing the olympics in 8k?

Here ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think people underestimate how fast technology is moving in regards to HD and UHD content.

physical media is dying and streaming and downloaded media is quickly taking its place.

UPC are reaching up to 1m homes with up to 200Mbps broadband. Magnet and others are providing up to 100Mbps now too and even eircom is being forced to play catchup and invest in high speed infrastructure to try and stay competitive and we even have 50Mbps plus mobile broadband with 4G now, which is ridiculous when you think about it. :)

even 5 or 6 years ago, who would have seen that previous paragraph becoming a reality in Ireland?

i know there's people out in the country struggling to get 1Mbps, but for the purposes of technology pushing forward, they aren't a significant enough issue if the population centres where the majority are living can get access to it.

new technology exists to either fill a need or create one. i know it doesn't always hit the mark, but overwhelmingly it pushes everything forward and things will develop to use what is there. look how far your mobile phone has come in the last decade, for a lot of people the fact it's even a phone to make calls with is almost an afterthought.

i imagine that most people who want one have a decent sized plasma or LCD now, whether 720p or 1080p, 2D or 3D isn't all that relevant as i think most would stick with what they have once they have one unless it breaks.

4K/UHD is a big jump though, even if it only a perceived jump that isn't actually going to make a huge difference in reality and i think people will "want" a 4K/UHD TV, if they are marketed properly (learning from the mistakes of flogging 3D TV's).

my only obstacle at the moment is that the centre of my TV wall is recessed and there's only enough room for up to a 60" telly with a very slim bezel. :(

I was very close to getting the ibood and it was only really procrastination that stopped me swapping it for our current 42" 720p samsung plasma.

maybe next time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

vibe666 wrote: »
    physical media is dying and streaming and downloaded media is quickly taking its place.

This sums up why Sony are in the red, they got crucified with the PS3. They assumed a fortune was to be made with blu ray, in reality downloading and streaming killed it!
    vibe666 wrote: »
    4K/UHD is a big jump though, even if it only a perceived jump that isn't actually going to make a huge difference in reality and i think people will "want" a 4K/UHD TV, if they are marketed properly (learning from the mistakes of flogging 3D TV's).

I think very very few people are concerned with 4k/UHD, there are the elite few who like to keep up with technology who will want to have it. The rest will only have it because they need a new TV and it comes with it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

branners69 wrote: »
    I think very very few people are concerned with 4k/UHD, there are the elite few who like to keep up with technology who will want to have it. The rest will only have it because they need a new TV and it comes with it!

Agreed, I think you get to a point with technology of the law of diminishing returns.

Just look at CD/DVDs absolutely everyone upgraded to CD/DVD, but no one upgraded to Super CD as MP3 was "good enough" and more convenient. While more successful then Super CD, Blu Ray suffered much the same issue, with most people opting for "good enough" but more convenient streaming services.

Part of the attraction wasn't just better quality, it was a lot of other things too, much less bulky then cassettes, no rewinding, don't degrade like cassettes, etc. But having gained these advances with CD/DVD, most people just weren't impressed with the slight quality advantage of super CD/Blu Ray.

I see the same happening with 4k TV. I think when we moved from CRT to HD, it was a once in a lifetime event. Yes some people wanted the better picture quality of HD, but I think the majority of people were more impressed by the jump in screen size from CRT and that HD TV's take up much less space and look much nicer then the crappy old CRT TV's

I don't think we will see such a mass upgrade like this again. At least until something truly breakthrough comes like full wall/window TV's I think few people will upgrade their HD TV to 4k TV. The improvement in picture quality just isn't that big. Instead I think people will just continue with their existing HD TV's until they break. Sure they might get 4K TV then if the price premium isn't too much.

I see the take up of 4K TV 's being similar to Blu Ray rather then HD TV's

Just look at CD/DVDs absolutely everyone upgraded to CD/DVD, but no one upgraded to Super CD as MP3 was "good enough" and more convenient. While more successful then Super CD, Blu Ray suffered much the same issue, with most people opting for "good enough" but more convenient streaming services.

Part of the attraction wasn't just better quality, it was a lot of other things too, much less bulky then cassettes, no rewinding, don't degrade like cassettes, etc. But having gained these advances with CD/DVD, most people just weren't impressed with the slight quality advantage of super CD/Blu Ray.

The Sony minidisc suffered the same, a superb device at the time but pretty much a complete failure outside of Asia. Most people were not bothered digitally transferring songs to a minidisc!
    I see the take up of 4K TV 's being similar to Blu Ray rather then HD TV's

Definitely, especially if there is talk about 8k already (years away mind) but already people will consider 4k outdated!

How will Sky/Freesat get on board with 4k, remove channels so more satellite bandwidth for the premium channels? Personally I am content with 720p/1080i, would prefer if they could provide DTS sound and not just DD!

i think that as the technology of UHD/4K matures, the providers will see that the only way to get the most out of it is with a big screen and that will be the push to get people to move from their 32-42" plasma and LCD TV's up to the 55-65" UHD ones.

if you look at the uptake of HDTV's, it seemed (to me at least) that they only really got mainstream uptake when they were under the €1000 mark for one of the low end 40" LCD's. I know it's an arbitrary number in reality, but a lot of people would have seen less than 4 figures as their limit.

We're not quite there yet, despite the whole sales push for the footie that is currently going on, but give it till christmas and the january sales and I have a feeling that the price will have come down and they will become a lot more mainstream.

the other thing is that a lot of the TV's bought around that time when LCD's and plasma's first got popular will be towards the end of their lives and will be ripe for an upgrade.

i'm hopefully optimistic anyway, but only time will tell really. :)

vibe666 I fear you are being a little over optimistic there :)

Of course within a few years all new TV's sold will be 4k and as peoples old HD TV's break, they will by default get a 4k TV.

However I don't believe we will see the massive mass upgrade that we saw from CRT to HD. Mainly because HD TV's are "good enough" for most peoples needs.

I don't see many people who already have a 40 to 50" HD TV running out to replace it with the same sized 4K TV, even when the price drops below €1000

Maybe when 80" 4K TV's drop below €1000, then it might happen. But even then it would be limited by peoples house size.

You can clearly see that the whole TV industry is suffering badly. Sony just reported a 1.2 Billion loss, mostly due to the TV section, Pioneer and Panasonic pulling out of plasmas, Samsung and Sony pulling out of OLED. It really isn't looking healthy for the TV market.

That's not exactly what I said. ;)

There are a heap of people that bought 32-42" plasmas and LCD's when they dropped below the magic 4 figure mark, which is (imho) when they went from "enthusiast" into "mainstream" (coincidentally around the time of the Celtic tiger which I'm sure helped).

That was a good few years ago now when a LOT of new TV's were shifted, possibly even the apex of TV sales as far as flat screens go and the technology was not as mature as it is now. Even a new good 1080p screen is going to be a significant improvement than one from the mid to late 00's.

Enthusiasts would have gone for a 3D upgrade (possibly) or just an improved panel, but if you already have a half decent 32-42" TV you're unlikely to pay out for a slightly better spec TV of a similar size even if it's much cheaper now as it's not going to be a huge improvement.

BUT a 55" 4K/UHD TV for under a grand is a huge (on paper at least) improvement over that old 32-42" LCD or plasma, particularly if (like a lot of people who didn't know any better at the time) it's a "HD ready" 720p model and I think with Sony, Samsung and pretty much everyone else putting a good chunk of their TV eggs in the 4K/UHD basket, we'll definitely be seeing them hit the 3 figure mark by xmas.

The more I think about it, the more I realise my procrastination on this BA was the right choice this time, but I'll definitely be pulling the trigger in time for xmas. :)

But yes, I'm definitely an optimist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Jayprey

Just wondering if anyone bought this model yet? Know it'll be a while before Ibood customers will get theirs. Found a review at hdtvtest.co.uk but can't post the URL here. Maybe one of the veterans here can give it?

Apparently the low 200Hz motion rate is the tvs downfall. Poor motion resolution and no native 24fps (bluray) support would scare the bejeezus out of me. I knew it had to be too good to be true- the review recommends it as a giant digital photo frame!

Jayprey wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone bought this model yet? Know it'll be a while before Ibood customers will get theirs. Found a review at hdtvtest.co.uk but can't post the URL here. Maybe one of the veterans here can give it?

Apparently the low 200Hz motion rate is the tvs downfall. Poor motion resolution and no native 24fps (bluray) support would scare the bejeezus out of me. I knew it had to be too good to be true- the review recommends it as a giant digital photo frame!

Here is the review - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55hu6900-201405233782.htm

Now this concern me big time. WTF are they doing releasing a TV that doesn't have a feature from 5 years ago as standard?

I also noted that the only source of 4K content, (netflix) was not on the TV, despite the fact that it is advertised. I found another customer review that backs this up - http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/samsung-ue55hu6900-55-inch-smart-4k-ultra-hd-led-tv/1399548415.prd. He claims that he contacted Samsung and they said they were having issues with the netflix app and removed it for now, but would be re-adding it in the near future, whatever that means. Apart from that though, he seems to like it.

I'm seriously thinking about cancelling at this stage.

I hope a couple more reviews come out to verify the findings before I need to decide to cancel or proceed.

Ok, may I ask the opinion of you folks.

"If", I were to cancel my iBood order what would you think of replacing it with this:

http://www.currys.ie/Product/samsung-ue60f6300-smart-60andrdquo-led-tv/318244/6.9.1

Seems like a good set with a decent price and an extra 5 inches. It's not 4K though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Ok, may I ask the opinion of you folks.

"If", I were to cancel my iBood order what would you think of replacing it with this:

http://www.currys.ie/Product/samsung-ue60f6300-smart-60andrdquo-led-tv/318244/6.9.1

Seems like a good set with a decent price and an extra 5 inches. It's not 4K though.

Would it not be swapping UHD(4k) and quad core processor for dual core processor and 5 more inches?
    Both 200hz.

dos29 wrote: »
    Would it not be swapping UHD(4k) and quad core processor for dual core processor and 5 more inches?
    Both 200hz.

I think the description is wrong. The 60" one is actually 240hz which means no judder on 24fps.

The reviews back this up.

My main concern with the HU6900 is the scathing review of its motion clarity and judder on 24fps sources. For a home cinema that is critical.

Hey guys,

Just to give you all a heads up.

I went into Harvey Normans today and they had the 50" version of the HU6900. I asked for a Blu-ray to be put on which they duly obliged. The picture looks stunning in normal slow moving conditions and if, as I assume, the higher end models can up-scale in the same way, then 4K is most certainly not a fad!

As expected the motion plus was active giving the movie the "soap opera" effect. I turned it off to view the movie as normal and this is where is motion judder was clearly evident. It was shocking in fact. Unfortunately as motion came into the picture, it did in fact fall apart as the review states. The only way to get rid of it is to turn on the motion plus and re-introduce the "soap opera" effect.

I'm not willing to take the risk and have duly cancelled my order on iBood. I'm actually going to wait a while, save a bit more and purchase a higher end model as I think it would be false economy to go for a budget model considering how i obsess about picture quality and calibration on my TV's and the fact that motion judder drives me cracked!

I might go for the UE65HU8500. That might take me the rest of the year to save for though! :D

I went into Harvey Normans today and they had the 50" version of the HU6900. I asked for a Blu-ray to be put on which they duly obliged. The picture looks stunning in normal slow moving conditions and if, as I assume, the higher end models can up-scale in the same way, then 4K is most certainly not a fad!

Blu-ray isn't actually 4k, they are 1080p, so it was upconverted to 4k, so there would actually be no difference between this and any other decent 1080p TV. In fact in most reviews, they find upconverting actually causes a slightly inferior picture quality.

This sounds like a repeat of the whole LCD versus Plasma thing, people thought LCD's looked far better then Plasmas and yes they did, LCD looked way better under the bright florescent lights of a retail store, but Plasmas looked way better with the lights off at home, you know how most people actually watch TV.

It is hilarious that you are all cancelling your orders for this TV now, it just goes to show how the rotten TV industry works. Sell a crappy TV on a fancy marketing gimmick, e.g. 3D TV, Smart TV and now 4k TV, rather then putting in the effort of building actually good, quality TV's using Plasma and OLED.

As for the 60", I haven't read any reviews for it, but I think you would get more enjoyment from the extra 5" then the theoretical 4k, when so little native 4k media exists.

My only regret about my beautiful 50" Pioneer Plasma is that I didn't buy the 60"

I'd also recommend you check out the Panasonic Plasmas, they are the best TV's currently available.

Blu-ray isn't actually 4k, they are 1080p, so it was upconverted to 4k, so there would actually be no difference between this and any other decent 1080p TV. In fact in most reviews, they find upconverting actually causes a slightly inferior picture quality.

I know the difference and I was assuming that everyone else here knew the difference between source 2160p and up-scaled 1080p. While I agree with most of what you say, I will still have to disagree with you on this point. If you read the reviews for the decent high end 4K TV's they will say the 4K up-scaling is amazing, plus I witnessed it with my own eyes. Where you will encounter issues is in the up scaling of lower resolution such as SD.
    This sounds like a repeat of the whole LCD versus Plasma thing, people thought LCD's looked far better then Plasmas and yes they did, LCD looked way better under the bright florescent lights of a retail store, but Plasmas looked way better with the lights off at home, you know how most people actually watch TV.

It is hilarious that you are all cancelling your orders for this TV now, it just goes to show how the rotten TV industry works. Sell a crappy TV on a fancy marketing gimmick, e.g. 3D TV, Smart TV and now 4k TV, rather then putting in the effort of building actually good, quality TV's using Plasma and OLED.

Based on the reviews, it only seems like the HU6900 that has these issues and not the higher end HU7500 or HU8500. The reason I trust the reviews is because they are consistent and I confirmed the issues myself in person.

I'm sure normal TV at 50Hz will look great on the HU6900, but I'm in the market for a Home Cinema TV for mainly playing 24fps source material.

I'm going to probably hold out for either the 7500 or 8500, budget permitting.

As for the 60", I haven't read any reviews for it, but I think you would get more enjoyment from the extra 5" then the theoretical 4k, when so little native 4k media exists.

My only regret about my beautiful 50" Pioneer Plasma is that I didn't buy the 60"

I'd also recommend you check out the Panasonic Plasmas, they are the best TV's currently available.

Fully agree, but if you are in the market for a Panasonic Plasma best hurry as they stopped production the end of last year and sales were to cease the end of March 2014!

I now have a Pioneer and Panasonic plasma, in another year or so when I am upgrading I have no idea what I will do if there are no plasmas to choose from! There was talk of Pioneer getting back into the TV game but only LED and not plasma :(

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

I'm sure normal TV at 50Hz will look great on the HU6900, but I'm in the market for a Home Cinema TV for mainly playing 24fps source material.

Thanks man for your honest review, I poped in to HN myself but they only had 55" 7500 model on display which looks fantastic, its quoted to be 1000Hz (200Hz real???), comparing to HU6900 200Hz (100Hz real???) should also make a difference.

Anyways how another type of content plays on this TV, like Netflix 1080p/4k, ps4/xbox movies, youtube, etc. I forgot when do I last time played any bluray, nowadays we all play streamed content, do we :) Is the only issue with 24fps content?

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Thanks man for your honest review, I poped in to HN myself but they only had 55" 7500 model on display which looks fantastic, its quoted to be 1000Hz (200Hz real???), comparing to HU6900 200Hz (100Hz real???) should also make a difference.

Anyways how another type of content plays on this TV, like Netflix 1080p/4k, ps4/xbox movies, youtube, etc. I forgot when do I last time played any bluray, nowadays we all play streamed content, do we :) Is the only issue with 24fps content?

I didn't view any non 24fps content on it, so I can't comment, but based on the fact that it natively displays 50Hz it shouldn't be an issue for TV and streaming (as long as the streaming rate is 50Hz). The fact the the TV is designed to utilise Netflix, means it should work fine, especially for the native 4K content.

When you viewed the 7500, was it running the demo content or was it running a blu-ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Thanks for your reply, I hope it will work just fine with 50Hz, thanks anyway.
    When you viewed the 7500, was it running the demo content or was it running a blu-ray?

It was running Demo, I'm afraid they had no Bluray connected, but I suppose if you serious with your intention to buy they will connect the player; for me they couldn't even find the remote so I couldn't play with the settings :( Instead, I had to play with "curved" 65' one, which menu for its quad-core was really sluggish, I wonder will TV interface ever be as good as Apple TV, or we always have to use Apple devices with it :(

• Advertisement

branners69 wrote: »
    I now have a Pioneer and Panasonic plasma, in another year or so when I am upgrading I have no idea what I will do if there are no plasmas to choose from! There was talk of Pioneer getting back into the TV game but only LED and not plasma :(

I know, it is shocking that my 5 year old Pioneer is still better then any TV made today!

I cringe to think what I'll do if it ever breaks. My hope is that it lasts until OLED's come down to a reasonable price.

The only thing that has me thinking about upgrading is that my living room could do with a 60 to 65" (my Pio is a 50") but then I'm thinking it might be a better idea to move to a projector and a 120" screen for movies and stick to the Pioneer for everything else.

Just not sure about that, I've never seen a projector in a persons home, so I'm not sure how good the experience really is.

Advertisement