Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick n Mix Religion

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

i often think the baptists have it right. wait till the person is of sound age and mind, and allow them to decide themselves.

I am a roman catholic, and was baptised when i was nearly 2 ( i was very sick as a child) and apparently the local priest out in neilstown nearly had a fit that i hadnt been baptised until then.

I agree, as a Catholic myself I really wish I had been educated at an older age and allowed choose my own religion for myself.

Not saying there is anything wrong with being a Catholic, but I'd be telling bull if I said I believed in it all or agreed with all the policies. I just don't change because to be honest it's a convenience to just stay like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I was raised an Anglican. Went to Service every Sunday. Got picked on by the Catholic kids for being a misbeliever/heathen and was told I was going to hell(a bit difficult to take at age 8), but truth be told, none of them were actually catholic, merely catholic by association. Of all the kids in my primary school, there were only a couple of us who had actually been to church.

As a result, it's my opinion that those who do not attend "Mass" as often as possible (not being arsed coz you went 3 weeks ago doesn't count as a valid reason for not going) are not Catholics, or even Christians. Just because you had some religious ceremony when you were twelve, doesn't mean that you are still Catholic at age 50 having not been in a church since.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

how on earth has this not being posted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ever so slightly off-topic but are priests allowed ****? If not, I call bullsh!t on all them cunts. Imagine strongly believing that god is watching you and still cracking one off, sick ****s.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Considering Mastrabation is Frowned upon in the catholic church, i'd strongly doubt that they are allowed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Christianity itself is pic n mix, a blend of Jewish, Buddhist, Mithraic and Greek ideas with pagan traditions tacked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

If parents want to have their children christened why not? I can't see the harm in that. Also even though a child is christened it doesn't really take effect until the child confirms it at their "confirmation". Or it's something like that, I can't really remember and can't say I really care.

I think it's funny that people who are raised athiest etc think they're qualified to make a judgement on allowing parents to baptise their own children. Any of us that were baptised can tell you it's not the same as being circumcised or anything like that. We're all of us free to lapse in later life and noone need ever know that someone once splashed a bit of water on us.

Also for all the atheists and agnostics out there you should really know that the Mormons are gonna ninja baptise you when you're dead. You should really join them now when you get to commit polygamy instead of when you're mouldering in the grave doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

obl wrote: »
    As a result, it's my opinion that those who do not attend "Mass" as often as possible (not being arsed coz you went 3 weeks ago doesn't count as a valid reason for not going) are not Catholics, or even Christians.

Actually afair the minimum a Catholic has to do is their Easter dues to be allowed tick the Catholic box on census day or Armaggedon.

Whichever comes first!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Christianity itself is pic n mix, a blend of Jewish, Buddhist, Mithraic and Greek ideas with pagan traditions tacked on.

Indeed, the degree of secretism in most religions is pretty amazing. That people testify to having 'teh real truth' about what their founder intended is pretty laughable in the face of the evidence of tacked on ideas.
    Also for all the atheists and agnostics out there you should really know that the Mormons are gonna ninja baptise you when you're dead. You should really join them now when you get to commit polygamy instead of when you're mouldering in the grave doing nothing.

lol - awesome. Thats why I'm forgoing being buried anywhere. Cremation sounds like the solution to this particular problem :) They can't ninja baptize me if I'm scattered everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Conar

Incidentally I was raised an atheist, and never had more than passing curiosity in it during my school years, and was never once singled out because of it.

Same here.
    People actually used to often think I was protestant as they didn't understand that it was even possible to be an atheist.
    My parents raising me as a vegetarian created more of a stir than my atheism.

My kids are now in school as atheists too and that is no problem even though its a Gaelscoil where they say prayers in the yard before going to class.

I wish people would just stand up to their family and cut loose.
    It would mean that the Catholic Church would have to stop claiming to represent 90+% of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i often think the baptists have it right. wait till the person is of sound age and mind, and allow them to decide themselves.

I am a roman catholic, and was baptised when i was nearly 2 ( i was very sick as a child) and apparently the local priest out in neilstown nearly had a fit that i hadnt been baptised until then.

Personally i think that people turn away from Catholicism in Ireland because of the way its taught in school and not because of the religious beliefs (for the most part) itself.

Regarding your first comment, i agree that its important for people to chose for themselves when they are fit enought to do it. However there are inadequate mechanisms in place in Ireland for individuals to do this. i.e. lack of information unless the individual investigates for themselves.

Although religion is a personal thing at the end of the day, in many ways its the people who make up the believers that determine its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

When a priest is crackin one off, who do you reckon they think about??

Like would it be a normal bird? Or housekeepers? Or nuns?

Would the ladies here be proud or horrified if they were the subject of such a holy ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im an athiest, and i have no interest in getting married in a church,id do it in my back garden if its possible, but the thing is, if i was to marry someone who was religious, i would gladly do the church thing for her. I definatly dont want a church funeral, no f'n way!
    There are people who do the church thing even though they're not religious, but i think its because they think there isnt an alternative. That its the done thing and people would judge them if they did differently. Also, there might be pressure from family to do it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

tallaght01 wrote: »

Would the ladies here be proud or horrified if they were the subject of such a holy ****?

I think the only way they could justify it to themselves is to crack one off to a good sermon in their head.

So where we say:
    aww yea... Jessica Alba... mmm... bent over... aww yea! (splooge)

they say:
    awww yeah... Archbishop Diarmuid of Dublin... fuck yea... St.Pat's Cathedral... IN LATIN awwwawawww!! (splooge)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

tallaght01 wrote: »

NSFW (ish)
    http://campblood.org/Features/hell05priest.jpg ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

dresden8 wrote: »
    It's the granny factor. Your ma would never forgive you if you didn't christen your kids.

This could be the thread where the correct answer actually is

Yore Ma!
    Finally, Life here on boards is complete. the holy grail of thread my friends

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

they say:
    awww yeah... Archbishop Diarmuid of Dublin... fuck yea... St.Pat's Cathedral... IN LATIN awwwawawww!! (splooge)

LOL, but that's a really disturbing mental image!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

I think the only way they could justify it to themselves is to crack one off to a good sermon in their head.

So where we say:
    aww yea... Jessica Alba... mmm... bent over... aww yea! (splooge)

they say:
    Ah Jaysus I hope they don't hand me the communion bread with that spoogey hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I think priests should have more balls. I'd respect the institution of the church more if they did.

'Sorry ms poppins I haven't seen you at mass for 6 years. So no I dont belive you will raise this child as a catholic. NEXT!'

Additionally I think a lot of people go out of habit, guilt or some sort of 'it makes us not a protestant' if we say we're cat-licks

it wreaks my spleen.

also its clear that a lot of catholcs dont belivce in transubstantiaon seing how the euchrist is abused as it is.

This cop out nature is why I dont practise 'for the sake of it. Why delude oneself?

Advertisement